The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pepsi or Coke?

Pepsi or Coke? YOU DECIDE!

• Total voters

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
cokevspepsi.jpg

So I'm reading TMF and I come across this paragraph:

"I love Coke and I hate Pepsi. I'm loyal to Coke, and I don't care if Pepsi suddenly becomes one buck cheaper - I'll always buy Coke. Coke has built a brand, and the power of that brand is a firm loyalty that is difficult to sever. Is Coke objectively better than Pepsi?" I don't know or care."

Now up to this point, I was 100% on board with every MJ has written. Then everything came to a screeching halt when I read that. I'm a die hard Pepsi fan and I've always been gotten into constant arguments with friends and women I've dated over which one is better. I even have a facebook album where I've convinced quite a few people to take pictures with Pepsi products like I was a paid marketing exec for Pepsi.

MJ, they say no one's perfect and they're right I just found your flaw. :p

So my question to you all, which do you prefer when you need something to quench your thirst on the road to the Fastlane? Pepsi or Coke? Vote Below!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
When you go to central america the signs are so popular you would think it was the political parties. That said... Coke.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
For me it's Coke all day every day. I'm a Coke fan boy and throw a tantrum when restaurants don't carry Coke. The brand is worth billions.

Go to Mexico and the people down there worship the stuff its incredible. They use cane sugar in the Mexican version and it tastes a little more crisp. They sell them at Target and Walmart now. :D

I remember a study said that people can't taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi and thats total BS. I can taste a clear difference.

One thing is for sure you don't see the brand loyalty for Pepsi the same way you see it for Coke. You hardly ever see Pepsi antiques being collected.

Mexanik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 4, 2013
Europe
Well, to be honest, I can't really feel the difference. That being said, Coke. Simply because it's much more "available" in here.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
RC first. Diet Coke second. Pass on Pepsi... Too sweet.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
It's all crap now. Pepsi retro comes out a bit ahead, because it's made with sugar and therefor has the benefits of nostalgia, and not having that weird heavy taste/mouth feel that leaves you thirstier than you began.

Brand wise, coke owns Christmas / the north pole. How do you top that?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Fun Fact:

The reason Pepsi won the taste challenge was because Pepsi is sweeter, and in small doses (as in, a sip or two) the sweeter product almost always wins.

Over the course of an entire can though, many people find Pepsi too sweet and cloying.

New Coke was an attempt to make a sweeter version to compete with Pepsi and we all know how that went over...

I almost never drink either these days. When I do drink pop, it's almost always Coke Zero since it balances that diet flavor with taste in a way I've never gotten used to in other brands/formulas. But like I said, I basically don't drink any pop these days.

Also, fun test I read about in Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: most people can pick Pepsi from Coke when presented side by side but VERY few people can pick the odd-man when you line up 3 glasses (2 of coke, 1 of Pepsi, for example). Been meaning to try this one on my friends.

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
Coke. It has a "fuller" taste. I can definitely taste the difference.

Like others here I barely drink pop anymore... not good for you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since I wrote TMF, I gave up Coke. Now, I only drink one when I'm having a confirmed cheat meal. If we face the facts, a can of sugary water and phosphoric acid is not good for you. The last time I drank one was last week while at a buffet, before that, it was probably several months.

Yuk. They're both terrible!

This is now my position.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
For Pop addicts trying to quit: Give soda water a try.

It fizzes and bubbles and is refreshing and comes in the same shaped can and makes an excellent healthy replacement for pop.

It's helped me eliminate pop entirely from my normal routine and seriously cut down on alcohol.

Rather than quit, I've replaced with a healthy option.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
German coke tastes waaaaay better than American coke which is way too sweet and artificial in taste. Hard to imagine anyone likes drinking that

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Rather than quit, I've replaced with a healthy option.

I replaced with Honest Green Tea.

For low sugar options, Lime Perrier water ... it has the carbonation and the fizz I love so much. If you need sweets, add a stevia flavor packet the the Perrier.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I guess I'm the odd man out, I've always preferred Pepsi to Coke. Something about Coke, it always makes me feel like my teeth are going to rot out. Bleh. But as far as brands go, Coke reigns king.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
D

DeletedUser394

Carbonated drinks are physically painful for me to drink. For that reason I've never had more than a sip of any of them.

I don't know how people do it.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Carbonated drinks are physically painful for me to drink. For that reason I've never had more than a sip of any of them.

I think it actually can be bad for you to drink a lot of carbonated drinks. My grandfather died a few years ago (he was in his early 80's). He had to go to the emergency room on numerous occasions to have his esophagus dilated (he would, every once in a while, choke on his food). His doctor told him that it was because of scar tissue that had developed from drinking too many carbonated beverages.

I don't know if this is common in much older people who drank soda their whole lives, but there are a bunch of other terrible side effects from either drinking too much sugar, acid, or artificial sweeteners.

Yuck... I'll pass!!!

I probably drink a soda a month, or less. But if I had to choose, just for flavor, I'd say Coke is better. And that's not just because I live in Atlanta :)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Fun Fact:

The reason Pepsi won the taste challenge was because Pepsi is sweeter, and in small doses (as in, a sip or two) the sweeter product almost always wins.

Over the course of an entire can though, many people find Pepsi too sweet and cloying.

New Coke was an attempt to make a sweeter version to compete with Pepsi and we all know how that went over...

I almost never drink either these days. When I do drink pop, it's almost always Coke Zero since it balances that diet flavor with taste in a way I've never gotten used to in other brands/formulas. But like I said, I basically don't drink any pop these days.

Also, fun test I read about in Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: most people can pick Pepsi from Coke when presented side by side but VERY few people can pick the odd-man when you line up 3 glasses (2 of coke, 1 of Pepsi, for example). Been meaning to try this one on my friends.

I was going to mention this book. Anybody interested in why coke won long-term should pick it up.
While pepsi wins short-term, but coke wins the 'take home test'... which is why new coke failed so hard.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
For Pop addicts trying to quit: Give soda water a try.

I've been trying to quit for years now but I always fall off the wagon. (I rarely drink Alcohol, dont smoke, and no narcotics, so Pepsi is my drug of choice.)

What kind of soda water would you recommend? I've had some bad taste experiences with those.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I never drank much soda. There was a time when I drank energy drinks a lot though (when I skateboarded, went to gym, played soccer as a HS Freshman-Junior) and I wish I hadn't.

Jones Soda would be my preference if I were to drink soda though.

The Creme Soda, Root Beer, then the Cola :) Still, soda isn't something I ever really think about haha.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was going to mention this book. Anybody interested in why coke won long-term should pick it up.
While pepsi wins short-term, but coke wins the 'take home test'... which is why new coke failed so hard.

I love that book. And yeah brand loyalty is a killer. When I was younger, I've always loved pepsi more than coke but I used to feel SO guilty about drinking it. I literally thought it was WRONG to love Pepsi and not Coke due to all the advertisements shoving Coke in my face. :(

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I replaced with Honest Green Tea.

For low sugar options, Lime Perrier water ... it has the carbonation and the fizz I love so much. If you need sweets, add a stevia flavor packet the the Perrier.

I've always wanted to try that. I'm gonna try that this week since I really need to hop off the Soda Bandwagon. There should be some sort of Pepsi/Coke Patch that kills cravings! (Now there's a potential Fastlane!)

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
All soda's are a threat for public health. Not because they are carbonated, but because of their sugar content.

In the 'diet' or 'light' versions sugar has been replaced by an ingredient (aspartame) that can wreck your nervous system.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
All soda's are a threat for public health.

If you actually think about what Soda is, its pure liquid sugar. Our bodies were never designed to take in so much sugar. Kind if like putting Diesel fuel into a Lamborghini. A lot of people drink it like its freakin water. A 12oz can of Coke has 40 grams of sugar. Most people drink around 24oz. Thats 80 grams of sugar! When you drink that much sugar you actually "Shock" your body into overdrive. Kind of like when you eat until you are full.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Another vote for Pepsi here - I actually like the extra sweet taste. I only drink soda/pop a few times a year, so it's not a big deal health-wise.

I once dated a chick who was addicted to Coke though - she drink 2 liters of the stuff DAILY (not even exaggerating - she took a full bottle to work each day, and stored a few bottles at a time in her trunk).
Not sure how she managed to keep her teeth....or her figure, for that matter, she was all of 5'5 and only about 100 pounds...

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
I've been trying to quit for years now but I always fall off the wagon. (I rarely drink Alcohol, dont smoke, and no narcotics, so Pepsi is my drug of choice.)

What kind of soda water would you recommend? I've had some bad taste experiences with those.

I tend to be a big fan of San Pellegrino, put a little lime in it and it's better than any soda could ever be in my opinion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.