The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Patent,prototype and non-diclosure.

St borony

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
May 10, 2020
Nigeria
Hello guys i have a product I'm working on but i don't have the money for patent yet.
Should i go ahead and take the risk to manufacture it or should I wait till i have the money for the patent.
The other problem is that making a prototype may leave me with nothing to acquire a non-disclosure contract with my prototype maker.
Any advice,please.
What should be my priority?
*getting the money for the patent and non-disclosure contract
*or going ahead to the manufacturer and risk it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

St borony

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
May 10, 2020
Nigeria
Hello guys i have a product I'm working on but i don't have the money for patent yet.
Should i go ahead and take the risk to manufacture it or should I wait till i have the money for the patent.
The other problem is that making a prototype may leave me with nothing to acquire a non-disclosure contract with my prototype maker.
Any advice,please.
What should be my priority?
*getting the money for the patent and non-disclosure contract
*or going ahead to the manufacturer and risk it.

Chibbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 9, 2020
USA
From my experience working as a Product Engineer in a biomedical company, we usually will have partners sign an NDA before pursuing prototyping. Typically, if you have a good working relationship with the company there won't be anything to worry about. Also, you can file for a provisional patent for cheaper, which gives you a year to finalize the patent and decide if you are going to pursue it.

You can find the language for an NDA online, I'm sure. However, they are difficult to enforce from what I have heard but I've never dealt with this issue personally.

lomb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jun 11, 2020
Dublin
Problem here is that you dont have the capital to exploit the product. Even if you develop a prototype of what use is it, what is the path to market to solve the problem you are setting out to solve.
MJ didnt talk much about having sufficient capital in his C.E.N.T.S analysis but its a very real issue.He comes from the background where if something fulfills CENTS then if you have a good reputation you can raise venture capital but Im guess you dont have this leverage. Capital and leverage probably comes under Timing section.
Alternatively look at a provisional patent and then going around trying to license it. Trouble is without several prototypes and market research I dont think youll be able to do that. Personally I would abandon the product and do something else that you can finance and then come back to it. If your commited to it perhaps there is another way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon79341

I'm not an expert but if you are able to manufacture a good product you should focus on start selling it and then make those adjustments along the way

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.