The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Anyone try the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I do since a few weeks. Not specifically paleo, but the bulletproof diet (The Bulletproof Executive), which he calls "upgraded paleo" (because its basically paleo foods but only the highest quality) combined with intermittent fasting and supplements. Eating very high fat and almost zero carbs, approx. 3000kcal a day. I feel great and am losing fat everywhere, its literally melting of.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I eat Paleo about 90% of the time.

When I was trying to lose weight I did a ton of digging to try and figure out how people should eat, generally speakings, not necessarily how to drop weight fast. All my research pointed me towards Paleo being a nearly perfect diet for the human body. It also has a million claims of common (and uncommon) ailments disappearing when people jump on board. I considered Paleo a "fad diet" and tried my best to discredit it but all signs were pointing towards it being a really, really solid plan.

I can tell you I had tremendous heartburn and acid reflux for years until I started Paleo. I'd be eating Tums multiple times per week just to be able to sleep without a burning throat. Since Paleo I haven't downed a Tums in over a year now.

I've lost weight as a result as well, obviously. I also have more energy than I used to. I used to find it hard to sit up off the couch to go to the kitchen. I'm now pretty spry, comparatively speaking.

I'm not anal-retentive about it though (hence the 90% number). I still enjoy the odd pizza, hamburger and other "crap" non-paleo foods. I also don't freak out if I don't know whether or not something "complies" with what the hardcore caveman proponents say.

Generally speaking I'd say it's a nearly perfect diet.

VanToai

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2012
DC Area
I've been eating paleo for 3 months and have had great results. I've gone down from 180lbs to 165 (I'm 5'6"), and combined with a 3x week weight training regimin and light cardio most evenings, I've really boosted my physique, energy levels, and confidence in a huge way.

If you're conscious about paleo and attempt to track your calories (a pain in the a$$, but worth it), you'll think more about what you eat and that alone will get you making more health conscious decisions.

If you're considering paleo but aren't totally sold or aren't sure where to start, I'd recommend reading Steve Kamb's "The Beginners Guide to the Paleo Diet" on Nerd Fitness. It was my "gateway drug" into healthy eating, which eventually lead way to working out/fitness.

Bottom line - if it's something you're curious about, try it for 30 days and see how you feel. You've got nothing to lose.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I do since a few weeks. Not specifically paleo, but the bulletproof diet (The Bulletproof Executive), which he calls "upgraded paleo" (because its basically paleo foods but only the highest quality) combined with intermittent fasting and supplements. Eating very high fat and almost zero carbs, approx. 3000kcal a day. I feel great and am losing fat everywhere, its literally melting of.

I started about a week and a half ago combined with IF and a fresh juice every day. I actually started the IF a week before Paleo. Still eating carbs, but getting them from an occasional Sweet Potato, fruits and veggies. Lost about 8 lbs already and I was already in decent shape to begin with. The only supplements you need to take if you do it right are Vitamin D (Due to our lack of sun and not getting enough of it in our food), Omega 3's (Because of an over abundance of Omega 6 in our diets), and Probiotics (because of the damage grains have done to our intestines and modern medicine). We really don't need anything else.

All my research pointed me towards Paleo being a nearly perfect diet for the human body. It also has a million claims of common (and uncommon) ailments disappearing when people jump on board. I considered Paleo a "fad diet" and tried my best to discredit it but all signs were pointing towards it being a really, really solid plan.
Generally speaking I'd say it's a nearly perfect diet.

I agree 100%. I've been doing a ton of research into it over the last 2 weeks. In the middle of reading Robb Wolf's book. I've tried all types of diet's over the years (Except Vegan. Could never do that! I'm a carnivore!). So far I feel Great, have lost fat, and after reading so much on it, it really does seem like the perfect diet. Definitely not a fad. I can see people starting to realize what eating this way does for your health, and Paleo becoming bigger and bigger. My energy is way up. I don't feel bloated or gassy. Very focused. Working out and playing sports at higher levels than a few weeks ago.

I'm going to give it a month before I give a full report, but so far I love it.

I'm also going to put my wife to the test. She was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (An autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid). She also has frequent headaches, vertigo, and is always very tired. I know for a fact that it has to do with her diet. She's about 5'4" 110 lbs. She never gains weight so she thinks she could continue eating the way she does. Her daily diet consists of Oreo's, Pasta, cheese, cereal, marshmallow's, cake and ice cream. Complete opposite me. I keep telling her that besides her other ailments, she's headed on a crash course to becoming a diabetic. And very soon.

I'm scaring her into testing Paleo for one month to see if there are any changes. I bet she's see's a huge difference.

I also came up with a GREAT fastlane idea. Not sure if I'll have time to implement it, because I am already very deep into something good, but I might partner up with someone who has the time and money.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Regarding fastlane opportunities: You know whats kinda depressing about my diet? I try to buy the best grass-fed organic meat etc, but its SO hard to find. I think something like a premium grocery shopping guide app would be great and sell quite well with the recent hype around healthy nutrition. Monetize through commissions and advertising. Could work but a lot of manual labor required to source the info.

And Likwid, you're not planning on writing yet another diet book right? :p

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Regarding fastlane opportunities: You know whats kinda depressing about my diet? I try to buy the best grass-fed organic meat etc, but its SO hard to find. I think something like a premium grocery shopping guide app would be great and sell quite well with the recent hype around healthy nutrition. Monetize through commissions and advertising. Could work but a lot of manual labor required to source the info.

Is there a premium grocery store around you? Here in Toronto (esp. in the very urban areas) we have quite a few small grocery stores that only sell the 'premium' stuff: organic, free-range eggs, free-range chicken meat, organic veggies, grass-fed beef, etc. at a significant markup.

An app would be interesting, depending on whether or not you're willing to hop from store to store. I'm sure not.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Is there a premium grocery store around you? Here in Toronto (esp. in the very urban areas) we have quite a few small grocery stores that only sell the 'premium' stuff: organic, free-range eggs, free-range chicken meat, organic veggies, grass-fed beef, etc. at a significant markup.

An app would be interesting, depending on whether or not you're willing to hop from store to store. I'm sure not.

I would store hop, but buy in bulk.

I've never seen a "premium" store here, but I'm pretty sure there are some small one like in Toronto. Our normal supermarkets carry a lot of organic stuff (meat and veggies), free-range eggs etc, but its really hard to find grass-fed meat and grass-fed butter (which is very important for my diet). The organic meat from the store says that its "mostly" grass-fed, but I'd like to have 100%. I found a few farmers that advertise grass-fed meat and grass-fed butter online and you can directly buy from them, but they only produce the butter from april to october, and the meat also only once per year. Pretty sure I'll buy a few months worth of meat and butter from them and buy a big freezer, but right now thats not possible.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Having tried probably every different way of eating, here is my honest take on the paleo diet:

The main reason the paleo diet works so well is for the following reasons:

1) Not eating any grains or sugar = no insulin spikes. Thus, you never get "crashes" and you receive sustained energy throughout the day.

2) By eating paleo you naturally avoid A TON of chemicals, pesticides, anti-biotics etc. etc. For this reason you naturally detoxify from all the crazy things in the north american diet these days. This allows your body to function better and more efficiently (probably things like headaches would clear up for the most part)

3. The foods you eat with paleo will result in a lower caloric intake. Meaning, it is WAY easier to eat a bag of chips vs. a bag of veggies or salad. Also things like veggies have less calories in the first place. Thus, it is extremely likely that you will lower your daily food intake = weight loss.

4. When following paleo, your intake of veggies goes up significantly (especially green leafy ones), which in turn will hydrate your body better even if you don't up your water intake. This will result in less water retention in your stomach = flatter belly and tighter skin.

Doing any of the above listed things will get you results 100% guaranteed. Therefore paleo could be totally 100% false and still work.

The thing Rob Wolff always uses as his example of good health is that his blood results are amazing. I can find a guy who eats a ton of rice that has amazing blood work as well.

I don't think paleo addresses the real issue of the way food is being produced for North Americans. I strongly believe that genetic modification, pesticides (and I am talking the hardcore ones they use in Mexico), anti-biotics, growth hormones, gluten overdose etc. are the true problem.... let's not even go into the glycemic level of candy these days...

Another thing to consider is the "humans didn't eat grains for until 100 years ago" phrase. Paleo advocates argue that since it is so new to use we don't handle it well and that it's not natural. Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, grains come out of mother nature just as vegetables do. It's not like aliens came to earth and gave us grains.

I'll leave it at that for my objective outlook on the paleo diet. If anyone wants, I could convince you why I don't think peanut allergies exist at all (perhaps another thread).

P.S. In Robb's book he said something along the lines of "Don't be an idiot like me and skip sleep to start a business". I actually got really mad because that's a decision he can't make for anyone. He went fastlane and after the fact he is telling us "to be smarter" and not to do it. I think I'll just start a new movement with Likwid and we'll call it "Ancient Buddhist Chinese Diet - Shows How Spiritual Monk's Consistently Live Forever Eating Only Rice".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) Not eating any grains or sugar = no insulin spikes.

Speaking of sugar and insulin, I'm just about finished with this book...

51QRY33F2ZL._SL110_.jpg
Amazon.com: Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease (9781594631009): Robert H. Lustig: Books

Its a recommended read if you want to get the real scoop on sugar. It's a bit complicated as it goes deep into the metabolic processes of diet, but it helps you understand why obesity has gotten so out of control. Word of caution though: I found his political interludes distracting and, well, I'll leave it at that.

The author is also the MD that did the The Bitter Truth YouTube video that went viral. Book is currently #2 on Amazon for all books!

I've been reducing my sugar intake and you'd be shocked at how much of it is in foods you'd never guess.

(I've also added the book to the Recommended Reads section of the forum. (Health/Fitness category)

Last edited:

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

I have a Trader Joe's near me. They have mostly organic food and always have 100% grass fed meat. We also have a meat share program in my crossfit gym. Meat is delivered a couple times a month, straight from a farm. Great program. Here's the link: Herondale Farm Store and CSA

And nope, it's not a diet book. Not even close. It's a way to make Paleo type foods more readily available. I feel that this is going to become much more popular, and it's going to stick around for a while. Especially with cross-fit becoming so big. Gym's are popping up everywhere, and most crossfitters are into Paleo.

Another thing to consider is the "humans didn't eat grains for until 100 years ago" phrase. Paleo advocates argue that since it is so new to use we don't handle it well and that it's not natural. Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, grains come out of mother nature just as vegetables do. It's not like aliens came to earth and gave us grains.

They've been around for a long long time. Problem is that they weren't eaten. They have to be processed to be eaten. That didn't start until about 10,000 years ago, which is only a very small fraction of human existence.

Read up on Robb Wolf's theory of how grains die when they are picked, unlike fruit and vegetable, therefore they have built up defense mechanism to harm anything that eats them. They actually attack our body, once inside. This cause inflammation, white blood cells working harder when they could be fighting something else, and a whole plethora of problems and disease. I'll try to find some info on it tomorrow. It makes a ton of sense when you think about it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't do paleo, but when/if it comes time to cut, paleo coupled with IF is the only real option, for the reasons TheTruth stated above. Otherwise, you're just starving yourself.

Also, I was reading 4 Hour Body and found the little snippet about the Chipotle Diet (for the 3 of you who haven't read it, it's where you eat Chipotle every day, either one or two meals). You have to order the right thing: chicken burrito bowl w/ beans and peppers. No rice, no sour cream, no tortillas. Everything else is fair game. It falls in line with the Paleo Diet pretty well.

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I would store hop, but buy in bulk.

I've never seen a "premium" store here, but I'm pretty sure there are some small one like in Toronto. Our normal supermarkets carry a lot of organic stuff (meat and veggies), free-range eggs etc, but its really hard to find grass-fed meat and grass-fed butter (which is very important for my diet). The organic meat from the store says that its "mostly" grass-fed, but I'd like to have 100%. I found a few farmers that advertise grass-fed meat and grass-fed butter online and you can directly buy from them, but they only produce the butter from april to october, and the meat also only once per year. Pretty sure I'll buy a few months worth of meat and butter from them and buy a big freezer, but right now thats not possible.

Although I don't do exactly a paleo diet, its fairly close to it. We actually have exactly what you mentioned: we have two fridge/freezers and also one giant below zero freezer. Inside we have a whole half-cow, grass fed. Its fed my family for the past couple months. Mind you this is a WHOLE half animal. Tongue, bones, heart, liver, everything (packaged in paper of course). Its because every part of the animal is useful and a great source of nutrients.
We also get free range chicken eggs (they taste SOOO much better than store bought), grass-fed Raw cow milk (also much better than the store). There are so many things you can do with raw milk. Some of the easy ones are butter, cream cheese and yogurt. All of those are high in enzymes and nutrients and they also taste great. So maybe that can solve your problem. All you do is skim off as much cream off the top of the milk and whip it around in a mixer for a long time. Look it up. ;)
The biggest change from a paleo diet is that we do eat grains, except we go organic and also we mill our flour right before you use it, because a high percentage of nutrients will go away within a few days of milling. And, we also soak the flour overnight, which makes it even easier to digest the grains.
For the expensive things like milk, meat and eggs, I would recommend finding a small business that does it. Its much cheaper and usually better quality. We go to a tiny butcher shop out of town for meat and a little grass-fed dairy for milk and eggs. The rest you can order online or from the organic section at the grocery store.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have never even heard of paleo. I need to try something though. I am ridiculously bored with the current diet and Im also not seeing the results I have been wanting.

I have thought about a vegetarian diet for a while, not that I am a hippy. Just looking for something.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
marks daily apple is a good daily email or FB post on paleo. The guy has a couple books/cookbook out as well. Very interesting info.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I have never even heard of paleo. I need to try something though. I am ridiculously bored with the current diet and Im also not seeing the results I have been wanting.

I have thought about a vegetarian diet for a while, not that I am a hippy. Just looking for something.

Don't do the vegetarian thing.. we're men and we're supposed to eat MEAT.

Check this out, its paleo with an angle for even more energy (and I can fully recommend it, its working GREAT for me):

» Introducing Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting: How to Lose Fat, Build Muscle, Stay Focused & Feel Great The Bulletproof Executive
» The Complete Illustrated One Page Bulletproof Diet (Upgraded Paleo) The Bulletproof Executive
» Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…And Your Morning Too The Bulletproof Executive

I'm losing approx. 0.5-1lbs per day and right now I'm not even working out much, only had one workout in the last 4-5 weeks. I'm also nearly stuffing myself with delicious and healthy meals.. as much meat, fish, eggs, veggies with great sauces as I want. Never hungry like in other diets/eating styles I tried before.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I'm losing approx. 0.5-1lbs per day and right now I'm not even working out much, only had one workout in the last 4-5 weeks. I'm also nearly stuffing myself with delicious and healthy meals.. as much meat, fish, eggs, veggies with great sauces as I want. Never hungry like in other diets/eating styles I tried before.

What do you eat in a typical day? And do you recommend any books or websites with Paleo recipes?

I'm a pretty decent cook, so I just mix things up and they come out pretty good, but I would love some new ideas. Last night I made what was, I guess, a Paleo Chili. I sauted onions, peppers, garlic, spinach in coconut oil. Then I threw in grass fed chop meat and turkey meat, spiced it up and added some coconut milk. When it was done, I topped it with Guacamole. It came out really good. Even my wife ate it.

BTW- I'm trying not to lose anymore weight. I've been eating a lot more protein. I'm 5'8" and down to 167 lbs right now. I don't have a 6 pack yet, but feel way too frail under 170. My plan is to be about 170 with the 6 pack, so I need to make sure I get enough protein, and step it up with the strength workouts. I've come a long way in 2 weeks though, between Crossfit, IF and Paleo. It's really crazy how much my body has changed since New Years.

marks daily apple is a good daily email or FB post on paleo. The guy has a couple books/cookbook out as well. Very interesting info.

They recommend this in my gym.

Vegetarian is probably the worst thing you can do for your body. Please stay away from that crap. Read Robb Wolf's book, or the books the Theag recommends. Also, if your into fitness and bored as hell of the same old routine, try Crossfit. My friends been trying to get me to do it for about a year. I've been telling him to F$#* off (In a friend kinda way lol), but after months, he's completely shredded now. Meanwhile he was already in awesome shape. That made me try it out, and now I love it. I wish I got into it sooner. Awesome workouts. It's all movements that you use in real life. No curls or bench presses, which have no use in the real word (Even though I still do that on my own time just for the look). It focuses on cardio, agility, real strength, balance, & nutrition. Look into it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What do you eat in a typical day? And do you recommend any books or websites with Paleo recipes?

I drink my coffee in the morning (approx. 500ml, with 80-100g grass-fed butter and 3-4 tbsp MCT oil). My lunch and dinner (sometimes I skip lunch and eat a bigger dinner) right now are usually a combination of beef (mostly ground because I can't really afford other stuff right now), broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and eggs. I like to keep it pretty simple right now, because the bulletproof diet has a few unusual cooking guidelines and I have to get used to them, so I focus on getting the right stuff in my body and worry about "meal presentation" later.

Here are a few pics of some typical meals..

blanched free-range eggs with grass-fed organic bacon and organic spinach
181156_4151997645772_1792273854_n.jpg

grass-fed organic beef with organic broccoli and grass-fed butter (yep!)
Sankt Gallen-20130109-00020.jpg

and this was a cheat meal 1.5 weeks ago when I was visiting my parents, haha! big-a$$ selfmade burger :)
IMG-20130104-00016.jpg

Dave Asprey (the authoer of bulletproofexec.com) has a recipe book: Upgraded Chef: 12 Core Recipes to Supercharge Your Body & Brain: Joni Sare, Dave Asprey: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Unfortunately, kinde lending is not enable, but the recipes are pretty good. I made a beef loaf 2 days ago with spinach and some cheese in it, tasted great and looked like this:

Beef Loaf.jpg

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last night I made what was, I guess, a Paleo Chili. I sauted onions, peppers, garlic, spinach in coconut oil. Then I threw in grass fed chop meat and turkey meat, spiced it up and added some coconut milk. When it was done, I topped it with Guacamole. It came out really good. Even my wife ate it.

Sounds really good, have to try this!

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I'd say the greatest advantage you get from a Paleo Diet (or Lifestyle) is the how different you feel. I have energy from 5AM all the way up to 11PM these days when I used to crash around 8PM before.

After a while, you don't even want any of that other junk (except on cheat days of course).

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I drink my coffee in the morning (approx. 500ml, with 80-100g grass-fed butter and 3-4 tbsp MCT oil).

I can't imagine that tasting good. Coffee and butter? What's the deal with that?

That meatloaf sure as hell looks good though!

I usually skip breakfast, drink coffee and water in the morning. Try to get to the gym before my first meal. Drink BCAA's before the workout. Then I come home and eat a nice big first meal. I love breakfast so I make a 4 egg omelet with Grass fed, lean Turkey Bacon (Applegate farms). I top it with Avocado. Drink some coconut water. Then I make myself a fresh juice in my juicer. Usually blueberries, blackberries, carrot, celery, kale, swiss chard, spinach, ginger and lemon. I love my fresh juice. I can get way more than my daily intake of fruits and veggies in that one cup of juice alone.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I can't imagine that tasting good. Coffee and butter? What's the deal with that?

Try it out, its really good. I was sceptical at first, too, but its very tasteful and creamy (blend until theres enough cream on top).

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, grains come out of mother nature just as vegetables do. It's not like aliens came to earth and gave us grains.

Not to get into the details, but the Paleo argument isn't that humans never ate grains until 100 years ago. Basically, it says that since "modern agriculture" is relatively new (i.e. only a few hundred years old- not long in terms of evolution) that our bodies haven't adapted to digesting grains as a large part of our diet.

Anyone try the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I've been eating paleo for about a year and a half. I had a few months recently where I "fell off the wagon"... lol.

There are a lot of health problems that I had previously suffered from, mostly minor. I didn't even think they could get better. The paleo helped me with all of those, plus keeping my weight at a healthy level.

I'm a huge fan!!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hmm losing weight by drinking butter. Forgive me if im skeptical. :D

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I usually skip breakfast, drink coffee and water in the morning. Try to get to the gym before my first meal. Drink BCAA's before the workout. Then I come home and eat a nice big first meal. I love breakfast so I make a 4 egg omelet with Grass fed, lean Turkey Bacon (Applegate farms). I top it with Avocado. Drink some coconut water. Then I make myself a fresh juice in my juicer. Usually blueberries, blackberries, carrot, celery, kale, swiss chard, spinach, ginger and lemon. I love my fresh juice. I can get way more than my daily intake of fruits and veggies in that one cup of juice alone.

This is almost EXACTLY what I do (minus the workout - lol).

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hmm losing weight by drinking butter. Forgive me if im skeptical. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I might get the exact scientific details wrong, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but heres my summary.

What you are doing with the paleo diet (or similar high fat, low carb diets) is replacing the energy intake from carbs with fats. This sounds scary to most people, because they think that eating fat equals getting fat, but thats wrong. The whole "low-fat diet = healthy" campaign is bullshit.

Gaining/losing weight is about hormones, mainly your insulin level. The insulin level is influenced by your sugar intake (carbs are turned into sugars during digestion), so if you eat carbs (or other sugars) your insulin level rises. Insulin is the hormone responsible for storing fat and a high insulin level lowers your ability to burn fat and raises the amount of fat storage. Other effects of a high insulin level are food cravings, especially for more sugars and carbs, so a bad circle is created. High insulin levels also lead to inflammation (which is bad) and of course in extreme cases diabetes.

On the other hand, if you eat a low amount of carbs, your insulin level is low all the time and you become a fat burning machine and become healthier. Calorie intake doesn't matter. Just eat until you're satisfied.

Its basically a hormonal diet, you're working WITH your body, instead of against it (e.g. caloric restriction).

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Fat doesn't make you fat. Likewise, dietary cholesterol isn't linked to your body's cholesterol (last I checked).

My typical daily meal "on the wagon" looks like this, it's pretty simple:

Breakfast: 3 Eggs. Salt, Pepper, some ancho chili seasoning mix I picked up somewhere for flavor, a small bit of cheese (occasionally) just to keep it interesting. Sometimes I'll mix in salsa or make mushroom/spinach frittatas.
Lunch: Sardines, usually in some sauce (mustard or tomato). Right out of the can. Delicious.
Dinner: Meat + veg. I do this in a million ways. Pick a meat, pair it with a cooking method, throw a side of veg next to it. Done. Seared pork chops with broccoli, butterflied grilled tenderloin with mushrooms, chicken with mixed veg.

Not everything here is perfect, but it's not bad. I just try to limit the total crap as much as possible, most of the time. I need to get stricter but I tend to fall off the wagon the stricter I get so I'm just changing small things slowly as I go.

One thing that pisses me off to no end is all the filler-shit in foods these days. Even my sardines have some amount of modified cornstarch in them. That shit is in basically in every sealed container I find. That or sugar.

I'd take a very short expiration date to eliminate half this shit from my foods. I don't need artificial colors, I don't need corn (in any form), I don't need sugar, I don't need added salt. So frustrating.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'd have to do a dairy-free paleo diet. I'd imagine that's what the REAL cavemen ate, anyway: we didn't get adulthood lactose tolerance until very recently in our evolutionary history.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I've done (and am doing again after falling of the wagon for a little bit) the Paleo "diet" and it totally works. I am pretty tall 6'6" and at the time weighed 245 which was pretty heavy for me. I played basketball in college and was about 210 then. Anyway, I changed to the Paleo way of eating and dropped back to that weight in about 9 months or so. Here are some pics from a website I was doing at the time: www.getfitgetlean.com/about/

There are some other pics on that site too. I did CrossFit and even got certified to teach it to others. I did that for a while. I hurt my elbow doing the 100 burpee challenge so I quit going. Now I just work out at home.

Good books for the paleo lifestyle:
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gay Taubes - Good background on why the SAD was pushed on us and why refined carbs are bad.
Why we get Fat also by Taubes
Robb Wolff's The Paleo Diet Solution
Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

If you are struggling to lose weight or just want to get healthier I would totally recommend changing how you currently eat to eating a Paleo lifestyle. The first couple of weeks does suck and takes some willpower not to give to the carb cravings but it's worth it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So, is there any good information about Paleo to help me get started? It is very confusing. I need a game plan for the next time I go grocery shopping.

I get cutting down on carbs, I am going to do that. What else?

I ordered one of the books above, but I am going shopping tomorrow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.