The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opening up the doors - how much should you have saved up for the lease?

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
Hi all,

When opening up your shop for the first time, how much cash do owners usually have to pay the lease for x number of months if there is zero income? I find it hard to think I would have zero sales for a few months since I know the product and have done so for another, but Id like to gauge on what a small business owner "should" have for at least a few months of lease if there is no sales.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hi all,

When opening up your shop for the first time, how much cash do owners usually have to pay the lease for x number of months if there is zero income? I find it hard to think I would have zero sales for a few months since I know the product and have done so for another, but Id like to gauge on what a small business owner "should" have for at least a few months of lease if there is no sales.

Somewhere in-between 2 months and 36 months based on the product category

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Are you negotiating a lease right now? You typically have to have pretty strong financials to get a place that isn't a shit hole.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
They'll want some money to hold.... first and last..... depending on the area, you can sometimes negotiate lower or no rent upfront and higher payments later when cash flow is better.

Explain to them that you would rather put your cash into sales at the beginning so that you can be there for a long time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
How are you selling?

Can you bring the product to the customer?

If so, then start in your garage. You can quickly get a space when necessary and scale.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
Its a small warehouse based used car dealership. Depending on the quality/quantity of the cars I purchase, I could have between 2-4 months of lease payments made if I sell zero cars. But I dont see myself not at least selling 1-2 cars a month to start with. Im a car guy that knows what to look for in cars and I even used to sell cars for a few years. My typical channels would be Autotrader, offerup, FB, etc. I know I can push a minimum of 1-2 cars a month, but I think paranoia is kicking in.

I havent signed a lease yet. Some want 1st, last, and deposit. Some just want 1st and last. Im trying to be picky by getting a warehouse near residential areas vs a warehouse buried in the middle of an industrial complex.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.