The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opening another location 7 hours away?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all.
So as some of you know, Im in the beauty business and am currently looking to open my second beauty clinic.
I have one clinic at the moment and my goal is to open 20 clinics.
I have been working to open my second in a city that is 1 hour away but it seems this deal will be to expensive since I have to invest 100k in just reforming the current shop to a clinic.

However, yesterday I found out that a former beauty clinic in the city I was born in has become vacant. I know the place very well and its an AAA location and I just have to get the key and open with 0(!) expenses.
Problem is, its 7 hours away from where I live.
Solution to this is to find someone to take responsibility for the place and run it for me, with tje responsibility reflects in his/her salary.

So does anyone have any input on this. Take it or wait for something that will cost 50-60k to reform and is closer?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hi all.
So as some of you know, Im in the beauty business and am currently looking to open my second beauty clinic.
I have been working to open my second in a city that is 1 hour away but it seems this deal will be to expensive since I have to invest 100k in just reforming the current shop to a clinic.

However, yesterday I found out that a former beauty clinic in the city I was born in has become vacant. I know the place very well and its an AAA location and I just have to get the key and open with 0(!) expenses.
Solution to this is to find someone to take responsibility for the place and run it for me, with tje responsibility reflects in his/her salary.

So does anyone have any input on this. Take it or wait for something that will cost 50-60k to reform and is closer?
You could the Weighted Avenger Decision Maker from TMF .

Other than mentioned, what are other downsides?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
You could the Weighted Avenger Decision Maker from TMF .

Other than mentioned, what are other downsides?
Thanks. Will check it out.
The downsides is only the distance.
Because everything is electronic now. Be it payment, customer register and journals. It is mitigated.
I also just saw that on the city next to the 7 hour away city. There is a similar local ready so even more advantages.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Thanks. Will check it out.
The downsides is only the distance.
Because everything is electronic now. Be it payment, customer register and journals. It is mitigated.
I also just saw that on the city next to the 7 hour away city. There is a similar local ready so even more advantages.
What specifically makes distance a downside?
Do you need to make regular visits or do you need to work in your clinics?
Won't be easy with a planned 20 locations even if they're in the same city.

Or is it just psychological?
It's like when you need to make long car journey you suddenly think about breakdowns even though a breakdown 1 hour from home is a major inconvenience.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019

It's like when you need to make long car journey you suddenly think about breakdowns even though a breakdown 1 hour from home is a major inconvenience.

Its most psychological I believe.
I dont have to be at any clinics because they will work as independent businesses and I structure them like franchise agreements but I own the place.
Get one manager who will run it and get a bonus each quarter depending how the clinic runs.
Because everything is online now. I will have almost the same control as I have now.
The only downside is that I cant frequently visit the place and hence lower "controll". It will also be my second clinic so there is that.
If I where to have 3-4 close by to try the concrpt on a larger scale it would be a no brainer to get the place.
Now, it just feel like a big jump to try an unproven concept (scale) with this big of a distance apart.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
We're looking to open our next location 4 hours away.

By plane.

--
It's 2021, with technology, distance is no factor to expansion.

We do consider:
- Time zone differences for meetings/company communications.
- Shipping costs/logistics (if physical product)
- Cultural differences for different parts of country (or city/rural, etc)

Technology means you can install cameras if you want (I never would, but you could)
You can do remote phone calls with the staff.
All payments are electronic, banking and all that can happen in your HQ, not there.
You can visit once a month, or even once a quarter after a while...

No factor with some basic systems, tools and *mentality*.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
The only downside is that I cant frequently visit the place and hence lower "controll".

Get one manager who will run it and get a bonus each quarter depending how the clinic runs.
First problem solved.
It will also be my second clinic so there is that.
Yes, it's always sentimental in the beginning.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
We're looking to open our next location 4 hours away.

By plane.

--
It's 2021, with technology, distance is no factor to expansion.

We do consider:
- Time zone differences for meetings/company communications.
- Shipping costs/logistics (if physical product)
- Cultural differences for different parts of country (or city/rural, etc)

Technology means you can install cameras if you want (I never would, but you could)
You can do remote phone calls with the staff.
All payments are electronic, banking and all that can happen in your HQ, not there.
You can visit once a month, or even once a quarter after a while...

No factor with some basic systems, tools and *mentality*.
Thanks. May I asked your thought process when you decided to open so far away.
How are you able to maintain controll and that your product meet your expectations?
First problem solved.

Yes, it's always sentimental in the beginning.
Thanks guys.
For this business, it is just copy everything we have made uptil now just one more time.
It seems almost too easy to do it and it makes me worry. I can either be stupid for not realising or smart for have developed a system I can easily copy.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Hi all.

I was close with Sy Sperling before he passed away. He shared many stories about his start with “the hair club for men”.
first 5 locations were harder to manage than the next 30.
I would not recommend you running a location 7 hrs away, unless you already have reliable team willing to move and make it work just like your current location.
Down the road, you’ll be able to do this, when your team grows.
Just my 0.02 cents.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
I was close with Sy Sperling before he passed away. He shared many stories about his start with “the hair club for men”.
first 5 locations were harder to manage than the next 30.
I would not recommend you running a location 7 hrs away, unless you already have reliable team willing to move and make it work just like your current location.
Down the road, you’ll be able to do this, when your team grows.
Just my 0.02 cents.
Yes this is what Im afraid of.
Because its a service business the staff is paramount and the bwtter the staff, the easier it is to manage.

What I want to do is do some ads that Im looking for a clinic manager and beauticians.
If someone good send in an aplication, I will meet them and see if I take it further. But I think I can only open like this if I find a dream team

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.