The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Organise Via Task or Location?

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
I run a small AV hire business. We have 2 locations. One in the city & one regional. I do all the sales & bookings from the regional office. For example a customer rings me. I create an order in the cloud booking software & we have a part-time technician (Dan) that comes in to the city warehouse half Tue & Thu to prepare the orders. That system works OK but there's a bit of management overhead since the order is being handled by 2 people (Myself & Dan) so I spend a lot of time documenting everything. It's particularly problematic when we get last minute orders. For example if somebody rings on a Friday then I have to ring the warehouse manager (David) & check if he's at the warehouse or if he can drive over & pack the order. It's quite messy. We've been growing quite a bit lately & I'm getting overwhelmed handling all the bookings. I want to get some help but I can't decide on the best strategy.

OPTION 1: Hire a full-time VA in the Philippines.
Advantages:
-Affordable ($10ph)
-Being full-time they could respond promptly to all enquiries.
-Could do a lot of other work like social media etc.
-Easy to recruit.
Disadvantages:
-Little technical understanding of the work we do.
-Being located remotely there's a bit of communication overhead (as mentioned above)
-Can't take phone calls (about 40% of enquires are by phone) but could respond via text or email to phone messages.

OPTION 2: Hire On-Site Technician Half Day Tue-Sat to Handle Full Booking/Order Preparation Process
Advantages:
-Can talk direct to customers on the phone.
-Is technically qualified to answer customer questions
-No communication overhead as one person is taking the order & preparing it.
-Would pick up about $100 per week worth of last minute orders that we currently turn down.
-Makes that office more self-sufficient if I wanted to sell it off.
Disadvantages:
-More expensive ($40ph)
-Being part-time they couldn't respond to customers as quickly. For example if they don't work Mondays then a customer enquiry on Monday wouldn't be responded to till Tuesday.
-A lot of eggs in one basket. If the technician leaves then we lose order taking & order processing capacity. I could counter this by using 2 x different technicians but that brings back some of the communications overhead problem.
-I don't think our current tech wants to work 5 days per week. Getting a second tech for 3 days might be the only option & they are hard to find.

*The technician doesn't need to be on-site for customers to pick up order as we have a self-pickup system. They can prepare them in advance.
*I'd estimate about 20% of missed calls are not recoverable. E.g. customer doesn't leave a message or respond to text.
*Our sales conversion rate is about 80%

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Option 3: Raise your prices and reduce the number of phone calls, do less work, and make more money.

Just food for thought.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Option 3: Raise your prices and reduce the number of phone calls, do less work, and make more money.

Just food for thought.
Yes I've only mentioned 2 options but I'm open to others as well.

As for raising prices, I've already done that & have been saying no to the more difficult jobs. It's been great. The issue is that even having fewer but more valuable clients still means the business is totally dependent on me & so not very valuable in terms of a business sale. Also my time freedom would still be impacted. My wife would still be rolling her eyes when we're on holidays & the phone rings - just not quite as much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.