The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

On my way to the fastlane and my struggles with Seasonl Affective Disorder

Karl Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 20, 2017
New York
Hello everyone, my name's Karl. Currently I'm an ebayer buying car parts and reselling them. One of the biggest reasons I resonate with MJ DeMarco is when he talked about his Seasonal Affection Disorder (S.A.D.). It gave me confirmation that I'm not lazy, I'm not weak, and I'm not just a low energy person which may seem like the case when someone is suffering with Seasonal Depression. To know that someone like MJ who obviously has guts, discipline, and drive was struggling with something similar to what I am was life saving. Brings tears to my eyes as I'm typing this. Thank you MJ. Its crazy but I actually took a road trip all the way to Phoenix from Upstate NY to see if I'd like living in the southwest, mainly because of the impact MJ's books have had on me. Turns out I resonate a bit more with San Diego and made plans to move there before next winter.

How I came across the millionaire fastlane is a pretty cool story. I was on craigslist calling on real estate listings trying to find someone to sell me their house. I was planning on renting it out (good thing that didn't work out since I'm moving) So as I'm typing in the phone number to the listing "KLR 250" comes up in my contacts which was the model of a motorcycle I sold years ago. Turns out I sold my motorcycle to the guy and he was actually wholesaling the house. We ended up talking for two hours and he recommended "the millionaire fastlane " and said I definitely should read it. Since then I recommended the book countless times and even bought a copy for a friend as a christmas present.

I'm looking to learn more, meet people, and just immerse myself in the community. I'll definitely be reading every post about Seasonal Depression and making posts about my experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'll definitely be reading every post about Seasonal Depression and making posts about my experience.
Come to Alaska during the summer. It never gets dark -- but, then we only have about 5+ hours of daylight during the nadir of our winters. I hardly sleep during the summer and I sleep very long nights during the winters... it's all relative.

Karl Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 20, 2017
New York
Yeah not a bad idea if I didn't like warm weather so much! I've also thought about being somewhat like a snow bird and just live in a warmer climate during winter months then moving back but I like the idea of starting over in a new city.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yeah not a bad idea if I didn't like warm weather so much! I've also thought about being somewhat like a snow bird and just live in a warmer climate during winter months then moving back but I like the idea of starting over in a new city.
Great adventure won't hurt you. San Diego is a wonderful city. (The state and local taxes are way too high.) I worked all over Southern California for 30 years. And I loved it!

I ended up retiring here in Alaska when my mom had her strokes. First I took her to my home in Los Angeles. Then, after a couple of years, I retired, sold out, and I brought her to our home here. She died within months. I stayed here when I married my Alaskan fishing buddy. He's not "transplantable".

We have a good life here living in woods, with our moose neighbors. It's sure NOT a life for people who want excitement. It sure NOT the life I had in Los Angeles and Southern California with my high power career. But, I'm semi-retired and happy here. I'm now a full time professional real estate investor.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I once kind of believed in seasonal and won't say it doesn't have some effect on because dark is dark, and sure places like Iceland can be dark for longer hours. But, than you have to look at all those who are night owls, and stay up late hours like me and work better during those hours.

In many people's lives they've never had the opportunity to separate themselves from the population or in their environment with family which I have. And so you could say it's an experiment, but their are multiple variables that come into play here.

Family/Friends/Co-workers/Strangers

In the every day average life of an individual they are surrounded by other individuals who project their assumptions, conclusions, opinions, concepts, and beliefs on a person whether negative or positive by suggestion and belief.

There are dysfunctional relating skills that come into play, and distortions in their belief systems, concepts, and theories.

Chaos and confusion is created out of fear-based realities and promoted on most media. This becomes a huge impact on how one feels emotionally and mentally. (This is the biggest part of anyone's depression, anxiety, and intensity.)

Social Class
The position you're in also impacts the amount of stress, anxiety, intensity, and depression.
This can appear for different reasons in all social classes since the rules of the game, lifestyle, and coping skills are quite different.

Environment
Geographical location plays a part in what resources are available. Weather, sanitary conditions, isolated with low populations versus high populations. If you're isolated like up in Canada in the wilderness, it may impact the likely hood of depression versus if you were in a small town, or bigger city, and still in the more crowded bigger city, this can be stressful because of the fast paced world you live in like New York.

Emotional/Mental Support

If you have a lot of backers and supporters in life it might not be so gloom & doom compared to if you were a lone wolf with no backers and supporters.

This also depends on how conscious or unconscious one is to the realities of they have full control over their thoughts, emotions, and actions, and outcome in their life.

Education

The more education you have, the better choices you make. Lack of education, you make poor choices and find yourself in negative emotional and mental patterns. Poor coping skills, and the blind leading the blind. Chaos and Confusion, "Why is this happening to me." and "Help me."

Finances

Lack of funds holds one back, and the first thing that will cause depression, anxiety, and intensity. Survival of the fittest. The strongest shall survive. In America alone we live in world which very competitive, entrepreneurship, military, government, and promotes "Tough Love". This impacts our culture and sends the message to suppress all emotion and feeling, and it can back fire with heart attacks, and other illnesses if someone is not watching there health.

Winter months are always heavy on most individuals. And holidays are always stressful.

If you live in the North in some cultures, the winter months can make an impact when there is less sunlight, but in my experience from moving from Michigan to the Netherlands, there both kind of in the North and the light and dark hasn't really changed that much. I believe other things I listed, were changed, and had a bigger impact, but I'd have to move to a southern culture, to tell you if there was difference. Having a best friend in Florida, I don't think he's less depressed, because he lives in the sunshine state. So I'm not sure always this seasonal thing is always accurate, because you will find in southern states and cultures, there's still a lot of depression, anxiety, and intensity. If you go on periscope and start listening to people in different cultures, you will see the way they talk, appear, and emote themselves.

Gold7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 4, 2018
Los Angeles
I really resonate with this post since I grew up on the east coast in PA where the winter months seem so cold and long. It's easy to feel depressed when your snowed in and can't enjoy the warm sun. I moved to California 3 years ago now as an adult and I can't say I'm not "depressed" anymore. Now of course the snow isn't there but there is traffic to sit in and high cost of living that could send anyone into a depression. Just a change of scenery didn't fix my seasonal depression. Since I still took myself with me cross country. I am actually using the WADM method in the Millionaire Fastlane book to make the decision to either stay living in Los Angeles or to move back to my home state in Philadelphia. I will say that no matter where you live you always take yourself with you. I wasn't happy in my hometown, I moved and had a change of scenery for a few years but the exhilaration of a new place wore off and I am still left with myself.

I once kind of believed in seasonal and won't say it doesn't have some effect on because dark is dark, and sure places like Iceland can be dark for longer hours. But, than you have to look at all those who are night owls, and stay up late hours like me and work better during those hours.

In many people's lives they've never had the opportunity to separate themselves from the population or in their environment with family which I have. And so you could say it's an experiment, but their are multiple variables that come into play here.

Family/Friends/Co-workers/Strangers

In the every day average life of an individual they are surrounded by other individuals who project their assumptions, conclusions, opinions, concepts, and beliefs on a person whether negative or positive by suggestion and belief.

There are dysfunctional relating skills that come into play, and distortions in their belief systems, concepts, and theories.

Chaos and confusion is created out of fear-based realities and promoted on most media. This becomes a huge impact on how one feels emotionally and mentally. (This is the biggest part of anyone's depression, anxiety, and intensity.)

Social Class
The position you're in also impacts the amount of stress, anxiety, intensity, and depression.
This can appear for different reasons in all social classes since the rules of the game, lifestyle, and coping skills are quite different.

Environment
Geographical location plays a part in what resources are available. Weather, sanitary conditions, isolated with low populations versus high populations. If you're isolated like up in Canada in the wilderness, it may impact the likely hood of depression versus if you were in a small town, or bigger city, and still in the more crowded bigger city, this can be stressful because of the fast paced world you live in like New York.

Emotional/Mental Support

If you have a lot of backers and supporters in life it might not be so gloom & doom compared to if you were a lone wolf with no backers and supporters.

This also depends on how conscious or unconscious one is to the realities of they have full control over their thoughts, emotions, and actions, and outcome in their life.

Education

The more education you have, the better choices you make. Lack of education, you make poor choices and find yourself in negative emotional and mental patterns. Poor coping skills, and the blind leading the blind. Chaos and Confusion, "Why is this happening to me." and "Help me."

Finances

Lack of funds holds one back, and the first thing that will cause depression, anxiety, and intensity. Survival of the fittest. The strongest shall survive. In America alone we live in world which very competitive, entrepreneurship, military, government, and promotes "Tough Love". This impacts our culture and sends the message to suppress all emotion and feeling, and it can back fire with heart attacks, and other illnesses if someone is not watching there health.

Winter months are always heavy on most individuals. And holidays are always stressful.

If you live in the North in some cultures, the winter months can make an impact when there is less sunlight, but in my experience from moving from Michigan to the Netherlands, there both kind of in the North and the light and dark hasn't really changed that much. I believe other things I listed, were changed, and had a bigger impact, but I'd have to move to a southern culture, to tell you if there was difference. Having a best friend in Florida, I don't think he's less depressed, because he lives in the sunshine state. So I'm not sure always this seasonal thing is always accurate, because you will find in southern states and cultures, there's still a lot of depression, anxiety, and intensity. If you go on periscope and start listening to people in different cultures, you will see the way they talk, appear, and emote themselves.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I wasn't happy in my hometown, I moved and had a change of scenery for a few years but the exhilaration of a new place wore off and I am still left with myself.
You've said a mouth full! You're right. You've gotta take yourself with you, where ever you go. Happiness is a choice that we make every day, moment to moment. For everyone who doesn't believe that -- simply put on your boots and hike out of where ever you are. Staying or going too is your choice. In the end, as Gold7 said, you still have to live with yourself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We ended up talking for two hours and he recommended "the millionaire fastlane " and said I definitely should read it. Since then I recommended the book countless times and even bought a copy for a friend as a christmas present.

Tell him I said thanks! And thank you for spreading the gospel, although I think Unscripted is much more palatable for today's culture. Hope to cya around more!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...