The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seasonal Affective Disorder - Winter Blues

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I know I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is also called Winter Blues. Do you?
If so, what do you do about it?

I already gained two and a half pounds since the hour changed.
I don't feel happy as often as I do during summer. I miss the longer days.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bflash98

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Living in Seattle this has become more of a concern for us. On my wife's last doctors appointment the doctor suggested she take vitamins and get a sun lamp. We are also planning on taking a trip in the next month to a warm place to recharge a bit.

We have ordered the sun lamp and are waiting for it to arrive at this point.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
I'm affected by this, but not as severely as some people. I don't really get depressed, just lazy and unmotivated, and sometimes a little bored and sad. What helps me the most is making sure I exercise regularly. I can tell a definite change in my mood and productivity based on whether I've been putting in some kind of cardiovascular workout every day or two.

Also, I try to spend at least a little time outside in the daylight, even if it's very cold. Maybe bundle up and go for a quick walk or something.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I know I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is also called Winter Blues. Do you?
If so, what do you do about it?

I already gained two and a half pounds since the hour changed.
I don't feel happy as often as I do during summer. I miss the longer days.

I'll tell you what I am going to do about it. I am going to move to either Tempe or Austin, TX come this Jan. Right now deciding where, but leaning to Tempe first.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I don't really get depressed, just lazy and unmotivated, and sometimes a little bored and sad. What helps me the most is making sure I exercise regularly. I can tell a definite change in my mood and productivity based on whether I've been putting in some kind of cardiovascular workout every day or two.

:iagree:

living in Chicago we have two seasons- hell and freezing... with a lil' bit spring and fall in between. I definitely need to work on the time mgmt and keep mixing in the cardio/weight loss workouts in my weekly routine as I want to drop a few lbs(hard to do with my cow-like eating habits :nono:) before official outdoor training for next yr's marathon. Offseason baseball workouts and a few snowboard outings to Madison will hopefully keep me makin lemonade from those lemons handed to me in the change of seasons!!!

Best of all is the desk at my j-o-b is right next the window and I have a view of the Chicago River and Sears Tower :coolgleamA:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yep, what kills me is I can't fish/sail/or boat at all. Also my beloved classic Mercedes is in winter storage to avoid the salt. I'll be good until Feb/March than I get the blues bad. This year I'll spend a week or two in FL to help. Also I plan on skiing a bit, which is uber relaxing for me. I stopped skiing for a variaty of reasons a few years ago and I really miss it.

My quick cure for the winter blues is a good stiff drink and an anime episode.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I lived in Houston growing up, but my extended family on both sides lives in Chicago--so it's my second home. I can't stand the summers in either place, and the forget the winters in Chicago. ...I moved to Colorado and discovered that even thought the winters were milder, they weren't mild enough...so I moved. Weather-wise you can't beat California or New Mexico.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I guess I'm an odd duck because Winter is the time I really perk up. I love winter, snow, cold, that burn when you breath in bitter cold air, seeing your breathe, ears burning when you come back in side. I can always get warm in the winter. We finally had our first snow the other day, and I was like a giddy little kid. When I grew up, my folks couldn't keep me in the house in the winter time. I sleep so much better in the winter as well. Snug in bed, breathing in cooler air in the house. Heck, when I had a water bed as a kid, I would not turn on the heater and open the window in the wintertime. I would go winter camping up in the mountains. 0 to -20 degree tent or snowcave camping. Our goal every year was to get 100 points of frost. 1 point per degree below freezing. Some years we would get that in two nights.

Summer time is what drags me down. I can never seem to cool off in the summer. The heat is miserable, my motivation tanks and the gungho part of me subsides.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Bilge, I'm with you to some extent. To me, winter is like Vegas: lots of fun for about 3 days. I'm content to visit winter time and not live in it.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
To fight the winter blues and other blues I rebopped one of our bathrooms to a tropical island decor. There is the ocean in the horizon all around the room. Lot's of adjustable lights. And a jet tub. You can get in there, crank up the tunes/ noises and soak in the tub with a smoothie on an island paradise. It gets me through the tough times.:tiphat:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
To fight the winter blues and other blues I rebopped one of our bathrooms to a tropical island decor. There is the ocean in the horizon all around the room. Lot's of adjustable lights. And a jet tub. You can get in there, crank up the tunes/ noises and soak in the tub with a smoothie on an island paradise. It gets me through the tough times.:tiphat:

lol That's awesome.

Bilge, I'm with you to some extent. To me, winter is like Vegas: lots of fun for about 3 days. I'm content to visit winter time and not live in it.
Admittedly I do hate when it snows on one day particular day of the year, Christmas. My father worked for the city and plowed when it snowed. Unfortunately the streets have to be plowed, even on Christmas.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
We have ordered the sun lamp and are waiting for it to arrive at this point.
What did you order (if you don't mind sharing)

I have started looking for a lamp for me as well.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I think everybody gets the Winter blues from time to time.

I've found that Winter is the perfect time to get back into your workout regiment, since you don't really want to be outside in that cold weather -- Might as well hit the gym and watch the Travel channel so you can imagine yourself someplace warm while you are riding the bike or jogging on the eliptical or treadmill.

If you can afford a little vacation -- I reco recharging your batteries in Cancun, MX. It's cheap, easy to get in and out of, and the waters stay warm and inviting year round.

- Hakrjak

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I suffered from SAD as well - my only solution was to move somewhere sunny. The change in my life was immeasurable and my reflection on life "back in Chicago" resemble that of a nightmare. I didn't "click" in chitown ... I click down south in the sun.

On ways to manage it; the only thing that helped (And I use "help" loosely) was sun tanning which didn't help my skin.

Karl Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 20, 2017
New York
I suffered from SAD as well - my only solution was to move somewhere sunny. The change in my life was immeasurable and my reflection on life "back in Chicago" resemble that of a nightmare. I didn't "click" in chitown ... I click down south in the sun.

On ways to manage it; the only thing that helped (And I use "help" loosely) was sun tanning which didn't help my skin.
When you say sun tanning do you mean going to an indoor tanning bed? I've found those to make a difference but not a substitute for sunny warm weather

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.