The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ocean Man's Journey To Earning A Bachelor's Degree

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Personally, I've had a shitty experience with 100% online college classes, but it was mostly due to the general indifference of the college kids I've had to work with (who may still be numbskulls even before the C0VlD-19 mandates), not the profs or material.
Thank you! It's good to have some positive news after I failed this quarter. But at least I found an alternative that is more affordable, I jump right into my actual major instead of doing more general ed, and I'll end up graduating faster. It feels like I'm in the fastlane towards getting my bachelor's, haha.

Since I can complete the courses basically on day 1 if I feel confident enough, I don't think there would be any real involvement with other students. I know where you're coming from though! Working with other students or professors can be rough. Fortunately though, I prefer online classes as opposed to in-person since I have more flexibility in online-classes to work in the day and so on.

Since you can jump straight to exams for certain units, I guess you can cut down/mitigate lots of the pencil-pushing.
Yes! As I mentioned, I already had my transcript evaluated to see which classes would transfer over (the majority!), but in addition to my school transcript I can send in any certificates I may have to further reduce the amount of coursework I need to take in order to graduate.

Guess what...

I scheduled a certificate exam yesterday and will be taking the exam today! If I pass the exam, I knock out two classes leaving me with 17 classes! I'll be trying to take as many certificates as I can in order to further reduce that workload.

In normal times, I wouldn't mind spending a few weeks in studies especially if there's some good projects or good profs. But after COVID broke out...it felt like everyone in my university got dumber and more f*cked up...or maybe it's just me...
Although schools have online classes, the majority on in-person classes were definitely not ready for that sudden transition into being online. Neither student or professor was prepared and I think that caused a huge headache with everyone.

This bachelor's will finally unlock potential doors like finally getting visas from different countries.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Took my first certificate exam tonight, boom:
Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 7.42.05 PM.png

Once I transfer that certificate in that'll reduce the number of courses I need to graduate by two. This means I now only have 17 classes left until I graduate with the degree. Let us see if I can get any more!

Just signed up for another certificate exam for this upcoming Friday. If I pass, it would also reduce the number of courses I need to graduate by two, meaning 15 classes left (if I pass!)

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Today I attempted to take another certificate exam. This one was for Microsoft's "MTA: Database Fundamentals" certificate...
1616617466594.png
Woohoo!
This means that when I transfer in this certificate, I'll have one less class to take in order to graduate with my bachelor's!

Which puts me at 16 classes left until graduation.

My last certificate exam that I'll be taking is also this Friday! If I pass, it'll reduce the number of classes left by two which means I'd only need 14 classes.

I can do this!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
My last certificate exam that I'll be taking is also this Friday! If I pass, it'll reduce the number of classes left by two which means I'd only need 14 classes.
I ended up not passing last Friday's exam and in the end, I was able to submit two certificates.

They've received and evaluated my transcript taking into account my two credits and here are the stats:

---
Credits Remaining in your Program 63
Percent of program already completed! 48.36%
---

16 classes left until I graduate!

My BHAG is graduating within 3-4 months once I start in May. Realistically, I think I will graduate within 4-6 months.

I've already got an idea for my senior capstone project that I can sort of pre-game by already developing it. My idea would be an invoice management system which would have basic functionalities like create, delete, and have a history of your invoices. The other idea would be a stock trading diary where a person can basically keep a record of the plays they've made, why they made them, etc...

I don't expect these applications to have a lot of functionality since they're only for the senior capstone project.
---

I'll pre-game by studying for my other classes as well. Looks like the remaining certificates I need to earn in-order to graduate are the CompTIA A+, CompTIA Project+, and maybe a CompTIA Network+. As well as the certificates I failed to earn last Friday.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My idea would be an invoice management system which would have basic functionalities like create, delete, and have a history of your invoices. The other idea would be a stock trading diary where a person can basically keep a record of the plays they've made, why they made them, etc...
I feel the first idea would be great. For some manufacturing companies that source multiple parts either from OEM or second-hand vendors, there's lots of purchases and order flows...a smoother invoice system will always be in the demand.

The second idea can be easily solved by an Excel spreadsheet though.
In fact, we have one shared here on TFLF:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
1617755377399.png
I've gone through the entire enrollment process now and I've paid for tuition. I'll be staying on 5/1!

I'll have to take the orientation course this month and I finally have a school email. By gaining access to the school email, I was given access to the capstone projects from other students and I have to say... my invoice software is a bit overkill for what people are submitting as their senior capstone, haha.

No worries. This project solves my own aches as well!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Today I:
- Completed the Orientation course, well at least I sent in my performance assessment which should get back to me by Monday letting me know if I passed the course or not.
- Completed my personal learning guide which is meant for my program mentor and me.
- Scheduled a call interview for tomorrow with my program mentor.

Nice to complete all of this in one day since my term actually starts on 5/1 and the orientation course just became available to me today. After I get back my performance assessment evaluation, I'll have to wait until 5/1 to actually take any other courses. But until then, I'll be studying to take the CompTIA A+ Part 1/Part 2 and preparing for some other classes.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Already got the results back from my orientation performance assessment and I passed! So completed all that I needed to do in one day instead of waiting until 5/1 to complete it. Until then, I'll continue to pregame study for my future courses.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
T minus 1 hour and 27 minutes until I start my first class!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just got my two performance assessments evaluated and already passed my first class! Enrolled in two others currently.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just got evaluation back for my second class' performance assessment... I passed! 14 classes left until I graduate!

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just passed another course. 13 courses left until I graduate!
Just finished green, starting blue bordered course.

Classes remaining.png

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Another one down, 12 more classes left until I graduate!

I'll ask my program mentor to allow me to enroll into both Scripting and Programming - Applications as well as Software 1 at the same time. They're both Performance Assessments which means that once I submit an assessment it may take up to three days to get evaluated. During that time I would be working on the other class.
1621302453453.png

1621302537402.png

Attachments

• 1621302602446.png
    1621302602446.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 0

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I finished another class today, which leaves me with 11 classes left to graduate! I took a break for a week or so since I felt burnout completing so many classes nonstop in a month. Now I’m back at it!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just passed my Software Quality Assurance course a few minutes ago. 10 classes left until I graduate!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just passed my user experience design course. Nine courses left until I graduate!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just took my ITIL Foundations certification exam and I passed! What I like the most about the ITIL framework is its focus on providing value to the end-user.

Personally, the most important thing for me when it comes to my work and serving others is that the things I create, should be entirely focused on providing value and a sense of warranty to the end-user. Which is something that this certification places an emphasis on.

Eight courses left until I graduate!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Wow it's been several weeks since my last post and I've got to say, that's because I got tired from accelerating, life got busy, and now I'm back in Korea.

Today I passed a course, which means I have seven courses left until I graduate. The course that I passed was on IT Foundations. My specialty is software not networking, cables, hardware, and information security. All of that was new to me. It was definitely interesting and I can see the benefit of knowing this information, but it really did slow down my progress and I did need to go much slower to consume and information and understand what was going on.

My next two courses are for the CompTIA A+ Certificate. This means I'll be studying for Core 1 and Core 2 of the exam. This certificate is also more IT-focused which means that I'll be progressing slowly through the courses to understand the material.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I'm not dead!

Just finished one of my longest courses, the CompTIA A+ Core 1 certificate course.

Six more classes left until graduation!

My next course is the CompTIA A+ Core 2, once I pass that course I would have the complete CompTIA A+ certificate. Supposedly, Core 2 is much more difficult than Core 1.

My term ends in less than two weeks so I'm not going to enroll in Core 2 until the start of my next term. The reason being is that if I enroll now and I don't finish by the end of my term, they would fail me. So although I'm not enrolling until my next term, I'll be studying Core 2 until my next term starts.

We're almost there!!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Finished Software 1 today and almost ready to take the CompTIA A+ part 2 exam. 4 classes left (not including capstone)!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I slowed down a ton but these more advanced software projects are much larger and take more time to complete. I’ve also got to develop them through a VM, so if you’ve ever worked in a VM, you might know my pain.

The good news I received today is that I passed Software 2 today! I’ve got three remaining courses and then my capstone to finish it off.

Two of the courses are CompTIA certificate courses: A+ Part 2 and Project +. And my final development course is mobile application development in C#.

I’m super close to being finished here! I just see green (course completed) all on my dashboard and only a small amount of gray (uncompleted). :)

I’ve got 14 weeks left to complete my term (if I don’t finish I’d pay for another 6 month term.) I’m confident I can finish by then!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I received news that I passed the course on mobile application development using C# this morning! Which means I have two remaining CompTIA courses and then after those two-my final graduation capstone! I’ve already applied for approval to take one of the CompTIA exams so I should be done with one of the two courses, shortly!

I’m so close to the finish line!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Just minutes ago, I passed my CompTIA A+ Core 2 exam. I’m now A+ certified having completed and passed core 1 and core 2.

This also means I now only have 1 remaining CompTIA certificate exam (Project+) and then the only thing after that is my final graduation capstone project!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Had my program mentor accelerate my capstone project which means I'm now able to simultaneously work on my capstone project while also working on the Project+ course. Perfect!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Had my program mentor accelerate my capstone project which means I'm now able to simultaneously work on my capstone project while also working on the Project+ course. Perfect!
Super! How did you convince him?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.