The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Novice question on overseas manufacturer

LikeAGentleman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 26, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
If an overseas company is making and manufacturing a product that i am interested in selling, and the manufacturer offers to print my brand / logo on the product they currently sell unbranded. What if any issues would i run into? It feels wrong that the product isn't my design but a generic product with my logo. Just looking for any insight on this. The product is associated with clothing / menswear

Sorry if this post seems like my head is swimming, I can clarify if need be. Thank you ahead of time

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
This is done all the time. You have countless options ranging from selling their unbranded items at a very low cost to working with them to improve an existing design and selling it under your own brand. There is nothing wrong with slapping your own brand on it and selling it as is; just be aware you are entering a very competitive marketplace. You'll want a unique selling position, be it price or design.

Make sure you adhere to labeling requirements when selling textiles.

LikeAGentleman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 26, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Thank you very much! I am just hesitant on pulling the trigger, nervous i have missed something or made a mistake along the way. Still not operational, I think i am trying to run before i know how to walk. Thank you again for the insight.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
You should clarify that it is legal to sell, your product meets all technical requirements and certifications and has a quality you would like to print your name on (for clothes there's most likely no special criteria in your country, but think of poisonous colours etc.). If the quality is good (and stays good) there's no issue and you can focus on impact millions with your branded products.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
One more thing that came to my mind: Make sure about customs and costs for it. Depending on where you live and from where you are purchasing this might be a huge overseen cost block. Also make sure the impact the customs has on delivery times. Like getting stuff express from China to Europe customs take app. one week. Sending stuff to eastern Europe or Asian countries may take up to three months. Just to give you an idea what might happen if your customers wait on your branded clothes and ring your phone each day asking: When will stuff arrive ;-)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Textile imports of any size shipment require formal entry into the United States. There's a whole lot of red tape bull shit involved in importing clothing of any type into the United States. Make sure you have done all of your homework on the front side of this. Specifically seek out educational material on importing clothing to the United States, or find a broker that knows what they are doing.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
LikeAGentleman

Check out this post in my importing thread. I learned there's a lot to labeling requirements - this is a good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Amail again."

Rahmulus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 18, 2012
China
If an overseas company is making and manufacturing a product that i am interested in selling, and the manufacturer offers to print my brand / logo on the product they currently sell unbranded. What if any issues would i run into? It feels wrong that the product isn't my design but a generic product with my logo. Just looking for any insight on this. The product is associated with clothing / menswear

That's all very normal stuff. It's what China is based on. if you can add value to it by adding something to the product that doesn't require new molds or starting from scratch that's how you can separate yourself.

Imports of textiles around the world get lots of attention...not just the US....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.