The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dilemma: buy from wholesaler vs. trying to find overseas manufacturer

whitebelt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 26, 2019
I had posted a previous thread regarding finding a manufacturer overseas of a particular product that I find to be of very high quality. As I search for the manufacturer I am stuck between waiting it out until I can find the origin of the product, or buying directly from a US wholesaler and selling the product. There is no definitive date of when I would be able to find it, and even if I did I don't know if I would be able to buy direct from the manufacturer (may have a trade agreement with current US importer).

The product I want to buy I can purchase for about $1.00/unit shipped. If I could get it directly from the source I think I could get it for $0.50 or less. It is not perishable and the weight is very light. It's not a food item or any kind of product where I would need to worry about any kind of strict regulations or rules (e.g. FDA approval). I could store it inside of my house very easily and should be able to distribute pretty easily as well. No risk of breakage with shipping and definitely would not need insurance. They are products that, depending on usage, would need to be replaced after 6 months to a year. The items are usually purchased in packs of 5-20.

Based off of my market research I think I could charge about $2.50-3.00 per unit, not including the cost of shipping.

So essentially my question is, do I buy US wholesale now and continue to search for the product origin, or do I hang tight until I find the manufacturer? I don't know if those profit margins would be considered sustainable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How do you plan on selling these?

whitebelt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 26, 2019
How do you plan on selling these?

I was considering selling on Amazon and using that to build a brand and drive traffic to a website. The long term goal would be to become independent at some point once I have enough traffic/customer base.

You asked a very simple question (and I think intentionally) and the wheels are spinning in my head now. Do you start off with a good product first or do you figure out the proper channels to sell? My concern is that each link I add in the chain (Amazon, Shopify) that I may become dependent on them.

The initial step I was trying to take was to figure out if that looked like a reasonable profit margin to work with or if the project wouldn't be feasible.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I was considering selling on Amazon and using that to build a brand and drive traffic to a website. The long term goal would be to become independent at some point once I have enough traffic/customer base.

You asked a very simple question (and I think intentionally) and the wheels are spinning in my head now. Do you start off with a good product first or do you figure out the proper channels to sell? My concern is that each link I add in the chain (Amazon, Shopify) that I may become dependent on them.

The initial step I was trying to take was to figure out if that looked like a reasonable profit margin to work with or if the project wouldn't be feasible.

I ask because any product that you are buying for $.50 or $1.00 is going to be a nightmare to sell on Amazon.

You better figure out how to sell it first, before you buy it. Buying the product is the easiest part of ecommerce.

whitebelt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 26, 2019
I ask because any product that you are buying for $.50 or $1.00 is going to be a nightmare to sell on Amazon.

You better figure out how to sell it first, before you buy it. Buying the product is the easiest part of ecommerce.

Sorry, I should have specified. I would ONLY sell these in groups of at least 5 units. There are similar products available on Amazon but they are cheaply made and tend to be those "pop up" stores with weird names and fake reviews.

I guess it's the same principle as buying a bag of M&M's, but no one is going to buy/sell just one piece of candy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sorry, I should have specified. I would ONLY sell these in groups of at least 5 units. There are similar products available on Amazon but they are cheaply made and tend to be those "pop up" stores with weird names and fake reviews.

I guess it's the same principle as buying a bag of M&M's, but no one is going to buy/sell just one piece of candy.

you are still talking about a $15 product that you source for $5. It will be tough.

whitebelt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 26, 2019
you are still talking about a $15 product that you source for $5. It will be tough.

Would you recommend any other channel or you don't think it would be worth it in general?

Would you say it's the dollar amount in total that would make it difficult (meaning only charging $15) or because there isn't much of a profit margin?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Take @biophase 's advice.

In regards to your question:

You start with the U.S. manufacturer. Build the market even at break even. If there's a market, then you monetize.

For my business, I'm starting to buy certain products from a competitor and sell them off at cost as they come in. Low risk.

If there proves to be a market, then I'll be importing the products myself and cashing in.

Same way that stores "private label" their own products once they see that there's value to be captured.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Would you recommend any other channel or you don't think it would be worth it in general?

Would you say it's the dollar amount in total that would make it difficult (meaning only charging $15) or because there isn't much of a profit margin?

Well, if you buy a $5 product, sell on Amazon for $15, you will get about $9.50 from Amazon for each sale. So that leaves you with $4.50 on each product for PPC, storage, etc...

So what will you really make per product? $1-$3?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.