The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No, Robots are not taking your job.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
There's been a lot of talk about robots in the workplace recently. As an IT Engineer -- no robots are not taking over the workforce anytime soon. Before you sigh in relief, this could change on a dime. Robots are restricted to what we, as humans, can currently program. Think of it this way. If Albert Einstien never equated E=MC2 the nuclear bomb never would have come to fruition. Well robots are a bit like that, but even more complicated. They rely heavily on scientific discoveries, primarily psychology.

"We are becoming more familiar with robots, but their sophistication has not changed much," assures U.S. robotics law and policy expert Ryan Calo. In fact, since the original coinage of the term 'Artificial Intelligence' more than 60 years ago, robotics technologies have progressed at a snail's pace; "Today, robots are about as smart as insects," confides Calo. The vision of a fully automated, autonomous manufacturing facility, while perpetuated with assurance by some, is little more than today's flying car.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ots-are-not-here-to-steal-your-jobs/16552869/

The major hurdle for robots is we don't know how we think. Until another Albert come's along and say's otherwise, robots will be restricted toward labor jobs. Or being able to count out $100 for you at the ATM, or being able to be a cog in the wheel of an annoying phone tree.

The awesome thing about this, is it can bring a ton of opportunity. Just because we don't know how we think doesn't mean we can't produce something that can prevent a DDOS attack.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Maybe not robots yet, but technology will continue to phase out basic, entry level jobs. It's only a matter of time before we get a restaurant with 0 traditional waiters/waitresses.
Maybe it was here, not sure. I read an article about the $15 minimum wage that some cities have started testing, and it showed a picture of a McDonalds with computers in the place of human order takers. Either prices have to come up or operating expenses have to come down. Those people lost their jobs, and now are competing with others for the jobs that are open. Robots already started taking jobs with the invent of the assembly line robotics, and they do a better job for the most part.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Maybe not robots yet, but technology will continue to phase out basic, entry level jobs. It's only a matter of time before we get a restaurant with 0 traditional waiters/waitresses.

This is exactly why I believe most people see robots in the wrong light. I akin it more toward the flying car. 50 years ago everyone thought it was inevitable. Robots are simply a tin can that can make complex mathematical equations. Until the problem is solved of how we think, they will simply be a computer screen that can take orders or press 1 for customer service. Of course, no restaurant will survive with just that.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Maybe it was here, not sure. I read an article about the $15 minimum wage that some cities have started testing, and it showed a picture of a McDonalds with computers in the place of human order takers. Either prices have to come up or operating expenses have to come down. Those people lost their jobs, and now are competing with others for the jobs that are open. Robots already started taking jobs with the invent of the assembly line robotics, and they do a better job for the most part.

That's to say, even McDonald's say's it's all bullshit about the robots taking over. And they even did tests in the marketplace.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us...e-charge-to-replace-human-workers-with-robots

This is simple jobs to. Robots are a really, really long way off. Think flying cars 50 years ago.

No, Robots are not coming for your jobs anytime soon.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
No, Robots are not coming for your jobs anytime soon.
So what would you call the things that paint and weld cars, fuse metal chains, make large batches of bagels and mold skateboard wheels? Those are robot...they've been taking jobs for decades.

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
So what would you call the things that paint and weld cars, fuse metal chains, make large batches of bagels and mold skateboard wheels? Those are robot...they've been taking jobs for decades.

Yup
ATM machines
Self checkout
Soda machines
Etc etc etc

Brett.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Cashiers at the supermarket - gone in 10 years
Taxi Drivers - Gone in 10 years
Admin Staff - Phased out
Translators - Phased out
Factory workers - Phased out
Toll booth jobs - gone in next few years
Menial repetative simple jobs - Gone in next 10 years

Replacing these jobs... not so much.

What will happen is the working week should be reduced to say 25 hours, this should have happened already but they have kept people working hard and all the money going into the top 1%. There will be changes to come, or a revolution.

Self driving cars alone is going to bring the biggest change in decades.

Taxis will be so cheap that its pointless owning a car
Car production will go down bigtime, with many companies losing their a$$
Robot taxi companies will do well
All car service and garage businesses wont be needed in the most part
Trains and bus companies will lose out
Truck drivers and delivery drivers will be made redundant
There will be so many job losses, and the creation of some new businesses

There will be more opportunities in social businesses such as:

Hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, clubs and activities.

And In Information Technology and Support.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
It seems to me, even if you can't be replaced by a robot, the further away your job is from having a machine take it over, the more you are worth.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
I'm pretty sure everyone's job could eventually be taken by a robot. Usually just a matter of a marginal advancement in technology.

It always goes like.

"My job is too xxx for a robot to do."
5 years later, improvements in AI, Moore's Law, yada, yada.
"Well shit."

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
It seems to me, even if you can't be replaced by a robot, the further away your job is from having a machine take it over, the more you are worth.

It´s simpler than that, you´re paid what you´re worth. If a robot can do your job, you´re not more worth than that robot

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
No job that requires creative thought is going to be taken by a robot. We don't have AI yet if ever, check out the turing test, it's all smoke and mirrors.

There is no program that can deal with all unforeseen consequences, the best a program can do is let you know if there is an unforeseen consequence that it cannot handle.

In macdonalds there is a FIXED menu, with FIXED prices, everything is PREMADE. This is what programs are for. If you're doing a premade repetitive task then your job is in danger.

But honestly for me, repetitive tasks and suicidal thoughts go hand in hand. Stephen King once posited that hell is repetition, some horrible repetition.

My very first job at 17 was at the New York Aquarium, i was "guest services", doing register and ripping tickets foir hours nonstop, directing people to the bathroom 100 times a day. I hated it even then, i think subconsciously i knew there's more to life than this bullshit...

Honestly replacing cash registers with machines is a blessing in disguise.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Does it come back to Survival of the Fittest? The better we are updated, the more easily we can save our jobs is what it means?

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
Does it come back to Survival of the Fittest? The better we are updated, the more easily we can save our jobs is what it means?

We'll we will always need guys who can fix the robots

So yes survival of the fittest
Learn and learn and learn some more

Brett.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Unless they program a robot to fix other robots.
A repair-bot of sorts.
someones still gotta oversee the whole thing :)

by the time we gotta worry abouit robots taking over all jobs, theyll be making our food, building us shelter, itll be star trek future where people can do whatever they want because robots take care of the planet lol

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Well, if you guys think A.I. can't take over our world yet, simply search "Machine learning", coupled with big data this is slowly replacing entry level white collar jobs. So yes, A.I. is going to replace a lot of jobs in the future, just slowly. But we as humans and fastlane readers need to keep sharping our skills so that we can do jobs that A.I. can not do.

Working in the IT field I know one thing that is lagging for sure, those shinning new A.I. product has no security measures whatsoever, this is why there is more hackers out there than security pros. Learn Kali linux and python programming and you can crack a couple of machines too, no educations required.

The other day I read on news about how 98% of SAP systems out there are vulnerable to cyber attacks...huuu

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
A repair-bot of sorts.
building us shelter, itll be star trek future where people can do whatever they want because robots take care of the planet lol
Anyone play Mass Effect back in the day? :)
Keeper_at_Presidium.png

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
There's been a lot of talk about robots in the workplace recently. As an IT Engineer -- no robots are not taking over the workforce anytime soon. Before you sigh in relief, this could change on a dime. Robots are restricted to what we, as humans, can currently program. Think of it this way. If Albert Einstien never equated E=MC2 the nuclear bomb never would have come to fruition. Well robots are a bit like that, but even more complicated. They rely heavily on scientific discoveries, primarily psychology.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ots-are-not-here-to-steal-your-jobs/16552869/

The major hurdle for robots is we don't know how we think. Until another Albert come's along and say's otherwise, robots will be restricted toward labor jobs. Or being able to count out $100 for you at the ATM, or being able to be a cog in the wheel of an annoying phone tree.

The awesome thing about this, is it can bring a ton of opportunity. Just because we don't know how we think doesn't mean we can't produce something that can prevent a DDOS attack.
Robots are being designed to learn on their own so that's problem solved. Kiss your job goodbye. Also doesn't this allow offline businesses to automate their processes? Because they can just hire robots that would be much more efficient than humans and it'll be much easier to manage everything.

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
no robots are not taking over the workforce anytime soon.
You're right. For now.

What should worry everybody is that right now, some kid in a dorm room at MIT or Stanford or CalTech with an IQ of 185 who hasn't had a day off from school work and resume boosting extracurricular activities since he was potty trained is reading sentences like this and thinking to himself "We'll see about that."

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Maybe robots will take all the jobs that we have now.. but you know if they do then that's our fault. As has been mentioned numerous times in the thread, it was the humans who created the technology and robots in the first place. If we are not seeing this as a powerful change that frees humans up to look to different areas and endeavours to use our skills while we allow the robots to do what we've mastered... well more fool us. If we are able to create robots to these things then do we really want to keep doing them?

It's a bit like me doing everything in my business. Sure I can do it, but what a fricking waste of my time when there is software and other people that can do it for me while I focus on levelling up..

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Robots are being designed to learn on their own so that's problem solved. Kiss your job goodbye. Also doesn't this allow offline businesses to automate their processes? Because they can just hire robots that would be much more efficient than humans and it'll be much easier to manage everything.

No not yet, security is a big challenge in the industry right now, don't believe what you see, but as much as 90% of the known internet is not secured and any personal information is at the mercy of being stolen or modified, there are also a serve shortage of IT security professionals, largely due to the cost of training and the difficulties of the job themselves(Compare to other IT jobs, IT security can be boring and stressful).

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
You're right. For now.

What should worry everybody is that right now, some kid in a dorm room at MIT or Stanford or CalTech with an IQ of 185 who hasn't had a day off from school work and resume boosting extracurricular activities since he was potty trained is reading sentences like this and thinking to himself "We'll see about that."

I'm not sure people realize how incredibly right you are. My admin was replaced by streamlined expense software. My HR partner was replaced by software. Predictive policing is here now.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I would say the fundamental flaw with robots taking all the jobs is how does anyone buy the products. If no one has an income who is going to mcdonalds to be served by the robots. I dont ever see it being likely. Most people prefer a face anyway. Id much rather be approached by a smiling waitress than a machine.

mammoth_hunter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Apr 2, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
I would say the fundamental flaw with robots taking all the jobs is how does anyone buy the products. If no one has an income who is going to mcdonalds to be served by the robots. I dont ever see it being likely. Most people prefer a face anyway. Id much rather be approached by a smiling waitress than a machine.
YEah, the real jump will be machines as consumers. Imagine a 'power-plant' robot paying in energy to the repair-bots. Are humans needed?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.