The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

night shift

A post of a ranting nature...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
So my boss is gonna make me do the night shift in a few weeks... wtf...

been doing 6am-2pm for 2 years...

I told him I'm not gonna last and he'll have to fire me... he appreciated my honesty :rolleyes:

im young and healthy, ive seen what night shift does to people.

Anyway I'm focused on my apps and that's not gonna change, but I'm just worried how much this night shift crap is gonna hurt me...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
If i can't handle it and they won't back down then i will, or get fired and maybe get unemployment for some time.

Honestly it annoys me when people say "just quit"

I am busy working on my apps and long term fastlane but this job pays for my internet connection and roof over my head and food to eat. I also have the good fortune to get business stuff done during work hours because it's a pretty laid back place. I'd be a fool to quit, but this night shift stuff might be too much to handle.

Not that i don't get where you're coming from. I feel the same way.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
That sucks Luniac, I hope your game launch changes that for you, the nightshift can be brutal on health and mental well being bud...

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Take advantage of the situation. The only thing I'm picturing in my mind is that you're working security. Is there more "down time" to work on your apps?

It might have just been me, but when I was in the Marines doing 12 hour shifts on ops, it seemed like I could sleep less working overnights than working "normal" hours.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Maybe this gives you an opportunity to communicate with overseas app developers in different time zones. You'll be up during their working hours.

As an aside, I've had several friends that have worked the night shift and loved it. Can run to the bank at any time. Can go into any store and not have a line because all the "normal" people were at work. They could party late into the night because it was their ordinary waking hours. Plus no traffic ever--in the commute to/from work or when running around town during the day.

^^^I'm not saying that will necessarily be you, but the night shift isn't some death sentence. If you need the job to keep a roof over your head while building a business, it seems foolish to quit over.

Point is, there's more than 1 way to look at this.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
So my boss is gonna make me do the night shift in a few weeks... wtf...

Moving to the Netherlands I can tell you it's 6 hours ahead. lol Basically right now is the night shift here, which is Eastern U.S. time 6 hours behind. Frankly, I think you can work any shift, it's just getting used too it. I do my best work at night when it's quieter and no one disturbs me. When I was back home, I did the same thing. I'd be up on 3rd shift. As a nurse aide I did 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. And was a sitter for hospice. lol Which meant stay awake in the dark and read with low light, or read on my phone in the dark and still stay awake. I drank Mountain Dew basically, and forced myself to stay away because there were camera's in the room. Went outside for fifteen minutes three times I think with no other break. Then I would drive home and do another person for another four hours. And then go back home and go to bed.

If you really want the money you'll do whatever it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I do nights, 5.30pm till 5.30 am, 7 in a row.

Nights are good, no bosses around, you should have a lot more free time, but I agree it is not good for you, people develop heart problems and I'm fairly useless on my days off as well because of my sleeping pattern. Just hope you have a lot of free time, I think you will

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Use it as motivation.

Also picture this : "I've seen what night shift does to a human being, I know what a 9-5 does to a human being. If I don't change this, I'll end up like everyone else."

Think thats dramatic? Good.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
dont have access to the link.

Anyways thanks for the different perspectives guys. My mom gave me a suggestion to ask the boss if i can at least not work all 5 days at night, maybe 2 or 3 instead. I'll give that a shot.

Im mostly worried about my health, i heard of stuff like growth hormone production irregularities and increased stress... if i get home at 9am and sleep till 3 to 4 pm hows that gonna affect things?

Im a litigation support analyst if anyone curious.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia

Anyways thanks for the different perspectives guys. My mom gave me a suggestion to ask the boss if i can at least not work all 5 days at night, maybe 2 or 3 instead. I'll give that a shot.

Im mostly worried about my health, i heard of stuff like growth hormone production irregularities and increased stress... if i get home at 9am and sleep till 3 to 4 pm hows that gonna affect things?

You won't have from 9am to 3-4pm in the day to do things, so there's that.

I know alot of people who did night shift that were perfectly fine, except when they had to wake up early to do things. The first thing to go really is the diet.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
You won't have from 9am to 3-4pm in the day to do things, so there's that.

I know alot of people who did night shift that were perfectly fine, except when they had to wake up early to do things. The first thing to go really is the diet.

Im okay with that, after all im at work 6am-2pm right now anyway and not outside doing things. I can get some app business done during any shift that i work.

I try my best diet,at night lots of the usual spots are indeed closed.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

Im a litigation support analyst if anyone curious.

I've been working nights for 6 years, absolutely love it. The downside is that you have to work at night. The upside is there are usually less politics and people getting in your way of just getting work done.

What you are proposing though will kill you, if you want to do night successfully (not saying you want to, but if you do), you need to think differently than you are expressing now.

You have to incorporate nights into your life, not try and make them an accessory to your normal life. If possible you want to work as many nights as they will allow you to in a row, 5 is ok 10 is better, then take longer stretches off. Doing a 2-3 day run will kill you because you can't maintain ANY schedule at all as you try and flip your schedule back and forth.

When you are off nights, you have to keep your schedule semi-flipped. I'll usually wake up around noon or 1 and try and go to bed each night when I'm off at 4 am or so. Realistically, at least for me, all the good stuff happens during those hours anyway.

As far as outsourcing, you can turn having a night schedule into a huge advantage. When you are off, your on your outsourcer's time, you can just stay up late, use this time to really push your project forward. Being on the same schedule as your dev's is huge as far as making fast quality progress on your software.

Good luck, hope you can work it out in a way that works for you.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I've been working nights for 6 years, absolutely love it. The downside is that you have to work at night. The upside is there are usually less politics and people getting in your way of just getting work done.

What you are proposing though will kill you, if you want to do night successfully (not saying you want to, but if you do), you need to think differently than you are expressing now.

You have to incorporate nights into your life, not try and make them an accessory to your normal life. If possible you want to work as many nights as they will allow you to in a row, 5 is ok 10 is better, then take longer stretches off. Doing a 2-3 day run will kill you because you can't maintain ANY schedule at all as you try and flip your schedule back and forth.

When you are off nights, you have to keep your schedule semi-flipped. I'll usually wake up around noon or 1 and try and go to bed each night when I'm off at 4 am or so. Realistically, at least for me, all the good stuff happens during those hours anyway.

As far as outsourcing, you can turn having a night schedule into a huge advantage. When you are off, your on your outsourcer's time, you can just stay up late, use this time to really push your project forward. Being on the same schedule as your dev's is huge as far as making fast quality progress on your software.

Good luck, hope you can work it out in a way that works for you.

excellent point regarding constantly disrupting my sleeping schedule. I didn't think about that, thanks.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hey man,

I've been doing night shift (2 days and 2 nights) for the better part of 5 years now. I do get a good chunk of days off as well so I can't complain too much.

There are studies done on the long-term effects of night shifts and health, but just remember this is just one step in your path towards achievement. Be realistic with yourself, there are some nights where you will be tired and not get much done but other nights you can flourish and continue to work on your apps.

That down time, is generally not available in your typical 9-5 job. Requirements and such.

Stay focused and keep reading the good posts on this forum and continue to surround yourself with people who will keep you on task and motivated.

Nightshift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 26, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Welcome to the club! :hurray:

Seriously though, Night shift ain't so bad. Just have to make sure you only work at night to keep consistency. I work as a night auditor at a local hotel, so I have a lot of leeway when it comes to how I spend my night. I try to be as productive as possible during my shift and I find that I work better at night anyway.

Hopefully you'll be able to find some benefits to working the night shift considering you need this job right now.

Good luck on your app business!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Unless there's something already wrong with your health, I doubt anything bad is going to happen to you. It sounds like you just don't want to work that shift. If people became ill because they worked the night shift, people wouldn't have third shift. Military men and woman stay awake for hours sometimes, nurses, doctors, paramedics, factory workers, people running stores like Wal-mart, Meijer, Gas Stations. If it was a health risk I don't think people would do it.

Time in your mind maybe psychological since everyone is awake during the day and you'd be sleeping. If you have a regular schedule, eat right, and move your body, the only difference is it is night time and day time. Sure, perhaps the first week or two it might be hard because your body has to get used to the rhythm. Your body adjusts. Really your mom's idea might not be a good one. If you work night shift then day shift and don't have a regular schedule that is harder on your body.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
Stop complaining. Quit.

There are 100s of proven ways on the forum how you can easily make 3-4k ca$h per months in no time with no money down.

Here are the ones I personally tried AND made good money with:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...with-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-to-buying-and-selling-anything-part-1.35889/
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-4-000-right-now-to-fund-your-business.60975/ (did this but not due to the post)

Or just create and sell those apps as a service.

There are tons of established small businesses outside willing to pay 10-20k for an app that makes them easy to communicate with their customers. If you can provide value they will throw money at you.

Reach out to 10 businesses per day and you'll have your first client in not more than 10-20 days.

-> create apps as a service for 8 hours
-> rest of the day you work on your own apps.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I just hope if i work 5 nights straight that it won't mess me up when im up during the day on the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions on other ways to make money guys but ive learned to not overextend myself to be the most productive. I got my personal games im working on and learning more and more about. I also already got a potential client to outsource an app for. This is plenty for me to handle already.

NormP

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 4, 2015
Unless you're already physically broke down from some other ailment, working night shift won't magically turn you into a vegetable. From 1995 until very recently I worked all kinds of crazy schedules including working literally 24 hours straight, and I'm more healthy than 95% of the people walking the earth. There have been several people who have already mentioned how much you can get done during the day while everyone else is at work. "Just quit", without a plan, is horrible advice.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Worked a night shift for nearly 2 years, it's like another world. Some people adjust to it better than others. Would never do it again though, too depressing.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Sometimes being forced to do something you hate is exactly the motivation you need to break through of the rut.

Use this as fuel to quit your job and create your own income.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
So here's my "review" of night shift after doing it for like 10 months.

The good
Nights are less busy than day, and the jobs that do come in tend to be on the simpler side. I often have several hours a night to work on my apps. I have set up a standing desk a few weeks ago and it's helped me a lot to stay focused and feel better.
I do my best to stick to the following schedule:
10pm-6am at the job, doing minimal work to stay employed, work on apps every free moment of my time.
Get to sleep no later than 8am, wake up at 3pm.
Between 3pm-9pm -> Get exercise, breakfast, lunch, sun and sports on warm days or stay home and work on apps.
I spend less money at night on food because i make sure to eat very well at home, especially after working out.

The bad
After 10 months i am still not used to the feeling of sleeping during the day, especially the morning hours.
I do my best to stay on schedule, but sometimes i just can't fricking fall asleep at 8am and end up laying in bed until like 10 am and just give up get up and go about my day. If i do this I'm unlikely to get exercise because i'm officially in a chronic state of mild exhaustion.
Actually im ALWAYS in a constant state of chronic mild exhaustion.
Even when i am fortunate to feel "tired" when i get home around 6:40am-7am and actually get 7 hours of sleep, I have NEVER EVER woke up feeling well rested, at best just acceptable. Night shift just F*cks with energy levels, the longer the worse...

The ugly
On my worst days I just don't have the willpower to get up and end up sleeping from 8am to...... 9pm, often waking up once or twice, feeling super fatigued, and going back to sleep. It's absolutely vicious because i literally feel like i just came home from work... to go to work again right after. And it makes it even harder to fall asleep when I get home. To break this I just don't go to sleep when i get home and when i finally start feeling very very tired at around 4pm, i get like 5 hours sleep and since i can't not go to work i get the willpower to get up and go. I'm pretty tired when i get home and am able to sleep. Once or twice this went on for the entire week, and it was terrible, twilight zone feelings all around.
Sometimes i get feelings of anxiety and dread regarding my app stuff, that im never gonna make it, that im wasting my 20's working night and making stupid apps instead of partying and getting laid and having fun, BUT i quickly get over these feeling because i know that i could never live a happy life while employed full time, fastlane is my life purpose and nothing else matters, so I'm hanging in there.

It's been a long long winter and daylight savings time meant it was nighttime by 5pm so i couldn't go play sports and still get 7 hours of sleep. March and april have been very very cold and shitty as well.
But now it's finally warming up, ill have daylight until 9pm, so things will get better in the coming months sanity wise. I'll make sure to get some sun, maintain a tan and hang out with friends a bit before going to work. I'll just go straight from playing sports i don't care, its night and theres no dress code. I gotta say one thing, i feel so much better after getting some sports in for a few hours. That's where my passion is but there's no fastlane money in it because it's not a huge sport.

I'm also gonna try staying up every saturday morning until the nighttime so i can actually get some sleep AT NIGHT, wake up sunday morning and sleep sunday night, then on monday i can Ill stay up 24 hours again through the work hours and go to sleep in the morning again.
I think it'll help a lot to get NIGHT sleep at least 2 night a week, it feels really nice to wake up in the morning, it just feels like that's how it's meant to be.

Last edited:

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I feel you! Night shifts can be a pain in the a$$.
Sure there are many others who can give much more indept answers:

Back when I was working nights, it was absolute key to create a VERY steady routine. Back then one of the guys made me a nice deal on automatic dark curtains, which would open and close like a clock.
This was huge help!
Otherwise: in general, darkning the room. And really getting up when alarm goes.

You got this, keep at it!!!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I work overnights 10-6 (I don't get home till after 7 usually). I'm in a fast paced retail store. Everyone is moving.
Thing is, I plan on being out in two months.

Why are you working for someone else?
What would it take to replace that income?

Then execute.

Seriously.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I feel you! Night shifts can be a pain in the a$$.
Sure there are many others who can give much more indept answers:

Back when I was working nights, it was absolute key to create a VERY steady routine. Back then one of the guys made me a nice deal on automatic dark curtains, which would open and close like a clock.
This was huge help!
Otherwise: in general, darkning the room. And really getting up when alarm goes.

You got this, keep at it!!!

Yea routine is the key, I've been putting a sweater on my eyes lol to keep it dark but maybe im gonna by one of those eye cover things.
My curtains are thick but the room is still a bit light, definitely not pitch black.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I work overnights 10-6 (I don't get home till after 7 usually). I'm in a fast paced retail store. Everyone is moving.
Thing is, I plan on being out in two months.

Why are you working for someone else?
What would it take to replace that income?

Then execute.

Seriously.

umm i am.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!