• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

New venture Website, Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Jaden Jones, Mar 11, 2019.

1. JM35

JM35 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,535
    Same issue with the video not playing for me, however it did after one refresh. Windows 7 using Chrome.

Roli likes this.
  2. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    Im so glad I made this thread, this is amazing feedback! We will make some changes tonight and Ill repost once we have made them.

Roli and NC Bidniss like this.
  3. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,127
    Same issue with the Big Black Square, though the video loaded after I clicked back over. This is Firefox 66 on Ubuntu, script-blocked to hell and back.

I agree with the others -- I have no idea what this site is about when I first land. You need more headline and more detail to orient somebody that drops into this page.

I don't actually mind the autoplay video in the background as long as there's no sound to it, but it would be worth (1) loading a fallback image so that it doesn't show up as a yawning abyss with no video, and (2) dialing up the opacity on the overlay to tone it down a little...which will also help with text visibility.

1: Your theme is loading the video as an iframe:

HTML:
    <div class="sqs-video-background content-fill" data-config-url="https://youtu.be/foVpKDuXOao" data-config-playback-speed="1" data-config-filter="" data-config-filter-strength="">

<!-- iframe loads here -->

</div>

If you've got enough flexibility with the loader, you can change this to the HTML5 video tag, something like:

HTML:
        <video loop="loop" muted="muted" autoplay="autoplay" poster="your_fallback_image.jpg" class="background-video">
          <source src="https://youtu.be/foVpKDuXOao">
        </video>

which will get you a static image to fill in the Big Black Box while the video loads, or if it doesn't.

The HTML5 code is easier to deal with but you might still need some JS to make it work across browsers.

2: To change the overlay opacity, in your CSS file add this rule:

Code:
    .banner-thumbnail-wrapper .color-overlay, {
       background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6);  
    }

The fourth value in the rgba is what you want to fiddle with to adjust the opacity.

Roli likes this.
  4. Knugs

Knugs Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,377
    To give you really good advise for your website, we need to understand what your Business is about and how you aim to make sales.

5. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    Here is the business model:

Auto dealers currently take their own photos (or in some cases reuse photos) to post online to sell. These photos are generally taken on cellphones and dont really stand out.

We offer a service that takes these photos for them, with pro cameras and editing. We charge per car or dealers can contract for a monthly price for all of their cars. Dealers have also started doing walkaround videos and higher end photo shoots on their websites for some higher margin vehicles. We do those as well.

We have proven the model and pricing is something desirable, its just making sure we look as pro as possible.

Roli likes this.
  6. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    Hey everyone, I made some changes if everyone could jump back and let me know. The phone number is pending.

NC Bidniss likes this.
  7. rwhyan

rwhyan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,467
    Just to name a few:

- Nav bar font too big on desktop
    - You should have a CTA below your headline
    - Homepage has very little text, tell about your services
    - Your dealer, motorsports, and private pages go to Squarespace instead of staying on your domain

I don't think your website is that important. Get some clients.
    Then hire a web developer to make a better site.

You site could use a lot of work but it's not worth doing now.

Patrick Jones and NMdad like this.
  8. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,143
    Agree. Get clients; if no one is interested, then there's no reason to spend another minute on the website.

Jaden Jones and rwhyan like this.
  9. NC Bidniss

NC Bidniss Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $524
    Making progress! I think your next bit of work needs to be creating a page with your portfolio. I also see you went with my "catch-all" email idea!

Jaden Jones likes this.
  10. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $1,172

CTA?

NC Bidniss likes this.
  11. NC Bidniss

Rep Bank:
    $524
    Call to Action

Jaden Jones and rwhyan like this.
  12. NC Bidniss

Rep Bank:
    $524
    I wholeheartedly disagree. A good website/webpage is crucial to any business in the modern age. If someone wants to know about your company, one of the first things they will do is look up your website. While I think starting to find clients now isn't a bad idea, it is more likely that those clients will be secured if they have a website they can dig into before they hire. This is especially true for content providers.

rwhyan likes this.
  13. Logomet

Logomet Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $876
    Not sure why there is a big logo in the middle of your website...rather don't put anything.

Make that navigation font smaller.

The font on main page banner should be different...less ''Arial'' looking.

Try to build consistency in font usage. If you take a look at your font in the logo and that banner...seems like two different companies...One is bold and sporty the other one is formal and ''boring''.

Consider updating logo. The current design could give you problems on the web and print. It's a good idea but final delivery isn't good enough. You have spacing issues and quality issues, especially on the right side.

Looking unprofessional will separate you from charging premium.

If you need more detailed help, feel free to ask.

14. rwhyan

rwhyan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,467
    Obviously a website is important for businesses in todays age.

I'm a web developer. Websites are important.

But talking to prospects is FAR more important initially than building a website. Thousands of businesses run without websites.

OP needs to validate his idea. OP needs to get clients first. Having paying clients is the foundation of the business, not having a website.

Then, as I said, he can develop a better website.

But ultimately, building a nice website before getting any clients is action-faking. Waste of time.

NC Bidniss likes this.
  15. NC Bidniss

Rep Bank:
    $524
    Good point. Like I said in an earlier post, though, he needs to add a content portfolio. As a web developer, you understand how important it is to be able to show potential new clients your past work. Nobody will hire someone to create content on a whim and a promise. While I think building a big, perfect site is "action-faking" like you said, I do think that there are some elements that should be added to help get the ball rolling. Adding these elements would not be time consuming, and would help @Jaden_Jones get the clients. Maybe a website isn't the best place to start, perhaps a Youtube or Instragram page is better.

rwhyan likes this.
  16. rwhyan

Rep Bank:
    $1,467
    Agreed that OP needs a portfolio.

But at this point he can walk into businesses with his photos and videos (which OP posted earlier) and try and get clients on board.

I'm thinking about it this way: what is the one thing that will move OP's business forward?

Making a website? Or getting clients?

Does OP really need a website at this point to get clients? (No)

What OP needs is to validate his idea. Does anyone even want his service?

I 100% agree he will need a website, Instagram, etc. to showcase his work. But that is not what he needs right now.

Right now he needs clients. Right now he needs to talk to people to see if people want his service. He can do that without a website.

NC Bidniss likes this.
  17. NC Bidniss

Rep Bank:
    $524
    Printed photos? Videos on a thumb-drive? Sent through email?

I think we are both on the same page here, but you're pretty adamant about no website/social media. My point of saying that OP needs one of those is to make that content, on which we both agree is important, easy to deliver to potential clients. I'm not at all saying that approaching potential clients is wrong, in fact I totally agree that it should be the primary focus. However, does it make more sense to carry around a printed portfolio of work, or to have a conversation and hand the client a business card with links to all the relevant content?

Social media takes minutes to setup. Adding a portfolio page to the website takes an hour at most. There is no reason why OP should not take advantage of these tools to help sell the service. However, if the focus is 100% on the website or social media pages, I think we can both agree that is the wrong approach.

18. ProcessPro

ProcessPro Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $939
    You captured all that I could think of and more. Good feedback.

NC Bidniss likes this.
  19. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    This is how we feel, while we do have some clients already, they are people within our industry, a website would help us branch out.

Also for those asking, we do have a portfolio on our blog site www.Apex.reviews
    Ill take a look at this stuff thanks.

20. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,373

I like it alot better!

Jaden Jones likes this.
  21. jesseissorude

jesseissorude Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,136
    @Jaden Jones I'm late to the party, but hopefully this helps. I used to get on live calls with clients and analyze their sites with them, so I've probably done this hundreds of times.

I shot you a video (11min): Screen Recording 2019-03-14 at 09.44 AM.mov

Going back and looking at the thread, looks like people already touched on a lot of this. My biggest concern would be "How am I supposed to take action once I'm interested?" More details on that in the vid.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    rwhyan likes this.
  22. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    That would be awesome, my hope would be that people would call or email us, but maybe we need something more, like a contact form

jesseissorude likes this.
  23. jesseissorude

jesseissorude Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,136
    Just fixed the vid.
    But yeah, contact form would be my first solution

24. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $1,172
    Updated again, fixed some font and spacing issues, also added contact form. Added more info to private page as well

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:41 AM

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.