The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to the forum

MBarnott

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 4, 2019
Hey all, I am currently reading Unscripted (3/4 done) and initially came here to see if there was a book list of his recommendations that he makes in the audiobook but decided to start engaging with the forum now that I read over some of the posts.

I'm a 34 year old male that has predominantly been in the pacific northwest's service industry my whole life: 7 years managing kitchens, 8.5 years operational management. My degree is in culinary arts and operational management but i've spent a few years each in computer science, psychology and philosophy as well but didn't complete any of those BAs. Currently manage 3 music venues, a pool hall and oversee a strip club. Like a lot of people here I've been working on side projects and hustles my whole life but they were always the second priority to my main job(s). I finally am quitting my main jobs as of this month to lighten my workload enough to allow most of my time each week to focus on my own business ventures and study as much as I can about entrepreneurship.

I had a ton of failed small businesses going back as far as high school (including everything from wedding photography to web design to computer repair) all of which were amazing learning experiences and none of which I would take back. Most recently a few coworkers and I started our own TI construction business which did fairly well for the first 1.5 years then fell apart when we couldn't balance financial risk of onsite mistakes and responsible staff management. Another tragic one recently was being a broker trading agent for some of my investors where I would architect custom trading bots that would scalp parts of the market consistently on small daily variations. This went well for about a year (1% net profit a day) until the huge crypto crash earlier this year and I'm recovering from that still since I didn't set adequate stop-losses *face-palm* lesson learned haha.

I am currently focused on three projects this winter: a product that solves the issue of legal documentation for incidents in bars and clubs where they require immutable data storage by law (currently everyone uses paper notebooks for logs and I want to use the blockchain). The second is opening my own club with a couple partners since we know this industry very well and it's the most stable avenue in the industry to build from. The third is building out a course on how to break down the trading process of crypto currencies and how to find pairs that consistently trade well together to build bots to capitalize on them.

I really resonated with MJ's book since a lot of what he talks about jabbed super deep into the approach and philosophy for work I have held as truth over the years that's quite flawed now that I look at it. The part that focus on how our time is the most important thing we have really struck me and pushed me to make some immediate changes in my life. This year there was a 8 month period that I didn’t get a day off and it really made me realize that I don’t mind the work and long hours but I want them to be on projects that I am partial or fully an owner of. I'm here to learn with you all and I hope to contribute as much as I can although I am probably quite a bit more green than many of you.

Hope you're all having a wonderful week and I look forward to getting smarter with all you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Welcome to the forum, finish the book and dive in!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome sir, glad you enjoyed the book, or at least 3/4 of it!

drum_hacker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 20, 2019
New here too but welcome! Hope you love the last quarter (it always all happens in the last quarter)

MBarnott

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 4, 2019
Welcome sir, glad you enjoyed the book, or at least 3/4 of it!
Thank you sir! Very eye opening and can't wait to get through the remaining sections! I'm curious if you have read the Tools of Titans? I saw you endorse another one of Tim's books but didn't see this one on the list.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...