The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to Fastlane and Indecision on where to start

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Hello guys,

I just finished MJ DeMarco's book and I absolutely loved it! Now I want to start taking action but am unsure of whether this is a good route to go.. I recently graduated college (Biology...) and work as a research assistant but no longer want to go to medical school. I actually want to be maybe become a personal trainer and eventually do online coaching and work remotely. I'd also have my own website, etc.This would include working with clients around $250 up to $1000 month each. Far down the road I might go back to graduate school (Research) and would like to write a NY Times bestseller, open up a chain of gyms (Strength training, powerlifting), and maybe release a product.

The problem is, Demarco says following your passion is wrong.. but he also said in a youtube interview with John Lumas that whatever you think you should do or want to do, go do it. So I'm in sort of a dilemma right now on whether I should pursue this career. What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Welcome. Take some time to read threads about what others have done / are doing. You do not need to staart something today. Learn how to look for opportunities in your everyday life.

Even though I'd be in the top 1-3% of the field?

Do you have any experience in coaching? How many clients have you had previously?

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Even though I'd be in the top 1-3% of the field?

Damn, if you're that good then yes become a trainer.

But if you aren't even part of the current 100% of trainers then how do expect to just become the top 3% with no problem? You act like it's super easy to become the best at something.

All of those numbers and plans you made up are just that, made up. Actually get out there and do it and then you will see how it really is. Maybe you will be right and become top 3% in no time or maybe you will realize that is very unrealistic. That's for you to figure out after you work your a$$ off at it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Damn, if you're that good then yes become a trainer.

But if you aren't even part of the current 100% of trainers then how do expect to just become the top 3% with no problem? You act like it's super easy to become the best at something.

All of those numbers and plans you made up are just that, made up. Actually get out there and do it and then you will see how it really is. Maybe you will be right and become top 3% in no time or maybe you will realize that is very unrealistic. That's for you to figure out after you work your a$$ off at it.

Good luck!

I haven't started but I believe I have the potential to be.. I see trainers every day at the gym and I know i could do a 10x better job than them. They don't think about things like I do and are just going through the motion (Lets do leg press till you die training). But all of this is talk I have to walk the walk like you said.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Welcome. Take some time to read threads about what others have done / are doing. You do not need to staart something today. Learn how to look for opportunities in your everyday life.

Do you have any experience in coaching? How many clients have you had previously?
I'm currently studying to obtain my C.S.C.S certification (personal trainer certifcate) so I have no clients at the moment.. I don't even know whether I'd like the job. I do enjoy teaching people, especially curious individuals so it'll be interesting and a process for sure. I'm stuck right now and I feel I just have to do something I've been stuck for almost two years now.

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
I would start off with the gold threads pertaining to mindset. Shift your focus from "what do I want to do" to "what do people need, want or desire".

The field is so saturated with everybody trying to make a name for themselves as a trainer and trying to do the same thing as you. Look at it from the opposite direction. Instead of just focusing on the fitness industry, what can you do to help people in ANY industry.

Once you've earned your income and freedom, then you can focus on what you what to do and love to do without having to worry about how you're going to make money from it.

Schwartz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 22, 2016
United States
From the looks of things you're trying to put too many irons in the fire before you even have a fire. Which is something I have done myself, in my personal opinion the fitness coach market is saturated with both mediocre AND excellent coaches. Therefor the need for trainers has been met. However with this comes another opportunity, you could provide support and infrastructure for aspiring trainers and have a lot less competition.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
From the looks of things you're trying to put too many irons in the fire before you even have a fire. Which is something I have done myself, in my personal opinion the fitness coach market is saturated with both mediocre AND excellent coaches. Therefor the need for trainers has been met. However with this comes another opportunity, you could provide support and infrastructure for aspiring trainers and have a lot less competition.

Like starting a franchise of gyms? Do you have any examples of support and infrastructure?

Schwartz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 22, 2016
United States

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Guys for the past few months i've been set on pursuing a career in fitness, with my goals for this next year.. and I feel like this is just so discouraging now that I'm at a point of inaction. I don't know what to do anymore. Isn't what interest that drives you to work harder? This is like a paradigm shift and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Schwartz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 22, 2016
United States
Guys for the past few months i've been set on pursuing a career in fitness, with my goals for this next year.. and I feel like this is just so discouraging now that I'm at a point of inaction. I don't know what to do anymore. Isn't what interest that drives you to work harder? This is like a paradigm shift and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a business in the fitness industry all I am implying is it would be best to apply fastlane thinking to your business planning and don't become just another guy selling the same apples as everyone else as the apple thread states.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a business in the fitness industry all I am implying is it would be best to apply fastlane thinking to your business planning and don't become just another guy selling the same apples as everyone else as the apple thread states.
Exactly! My Fastlane business would probably be starting a team of trainers, a website, brand, ebook, online seminars that I could re-teach every few months.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
How long will you take to get there AND stay there?
2-3 Years maybe less.. but the only problem that makes me hesitant to pursue this is the violation of time. It's hard to have passive income as a trainer unless I put out a product or service that's automated.. this could take even longer 5+ years on average.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I would start off with the gold threads pertaining to mindset. Shift your focus from "what do I want to do" to "what do people need, want or desire".

Well said, try and identify what people need and try to serve it.Since you've read the Fastlane millionaire book you should be somewhat familiar with the CENTS concept, and there is a decent new thread here that people are rating their businesses and seeing if it fits the CENTS criteria. Try and apply the philosophy to yours and see if it makes "CENTS"

2-3 Years maybe less.. but the only problem that makes me hesitant to pursue this is the violation of time. It's hard to have passive income as a trainer unless I put out a product or service that's automated.. this could take even longer 5+ years on average.

Exactly the problem with being a personal trainer, being the in the top 1% of all personal trainers will still not get you in the fastlane. Mainly because you would end up working with clients one by one. What you could do is develop a program or regime that other trainers could pay for via seminar or dvds aka like your product. However, you would need to build a reputation first, you could be the #1 trainer in the world but with no marketing skills you'll be stuck in the slow lane. I suggest you learn some basic copywriting and start digging into how to market yourself or your products. Sinister Lex is a great example for learning copy and becoming successful; his thread is tremendous as well.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Well said, try and identify what people need and try to serve it.Since you've read the Fastlane millionaire book you should be somewhat familiar with the CENTS concept, and there is a decent new thread here that people are rating their businesses and seeing if it fits the CENTS criteria. Try and apply the philosophy to yours and see if it makes "CENTS"

Exactly the problem with being a personal trainer, being the in the top 1% of all personal trainers will still not get you in the fastlane. Mainly because you would end up working with clients one by one. What you could do is develop a program or regime that other trainers could pay for via seminar or dvds aka like your product. However, you would need to build a reputation first, you could be the #1 trainer in the world but with no marketing skills you'll be stuck in the slow lane. I suggest you learn some basic copywriting and start digging into how to market yourself or your products. Sinister Lex is a great example for learning copy and becoming successful; his thread is tremendous as well.
Are you talking about going into copywriting 100% or still pursuing fitness but also learn some copywriting skills to improve my chances of fastlane?

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Are you talking about going into copywriting 100% or still pursuing fitness but also learn some copywriting skills to improve my chances of fastlane?

Improving copywriting skills, a fast way to learn how is to do 100% for a short time. However, you dont have to do it that way but learning copy is critical for understanding how to market. You can always outsource it, but you can't distinguish a good copy or bad copy with confidence if you don't understand what it is.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've said this multiple times.

In fact, it feels like I've said it a MILLION times.

The answer to "where do I start?" should ALWAYS begin with a NEED.

So if FITNESS is your pursuit, where is the need? What will your gym do BETTER that others are not? What will your TRAINING do BETTER that others are not? If you're just getting in business to follow passions you'll end up another grain of sand on the beach -- indifferent, immersed, and incapable of making a dramatic impact.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
The fitness industry is seriously difficult.

A friend of mine opened the gym. Renting the place but just the equipment cost was around 250,000$. ( In Quebec,Canada).
But he works 7 days a week from 6am to 11pm. Always at the gym... sometimes he can take one day off other he can't. Plus he's doing contests since he wants to get more exposure and start with his own supplement line + clothing.
Of course, he trains people and the average training session is 40-60$/hour.
He's struggling... at least the good thing is that he got lucky enough to get into one of the richest parts of town and there was no gym there.. so he got all the clientele.
He dedicates his life to bodybuilding, though. Trying to get his Pro card this year or next year !

An acquaintance is opening his gym in the next weeks in Hartford,CT.
I don't know the cost.
He's focusing less on himself but on his business. Still working mad hours but with different results.
He started with his own clothing brand... got himself a few ambassador's and some of them are influencers in the fitness niche on Instagram.
Things are going well for him but he spent A LOT on ads and samples and manufacturing.
Hell of a coder( he learned by himself doing this thing) so he built his own website and all so that part made him save a ton of money.

Influencers are key in the industry.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
I've said this multiple times.

In fact, it feels like I've said it a MILLION times.

The answer to "where do I start?" should ALWAYS begin with a NEED.

So if FITNESS is your pursuit, where is the need? What will your gym do BETTER that others are not? What will your TRAINING do BETTER that others are not? If you're just getting in business to follow passions you'll end up another grain of sand on the beach -- indifferent, immersed, and incapable of making a dramatic impact.

Thank you for the insightful response MJ. That is a good question. The need in fitness is simply sustainable fatloss, and automated. I see obsession in this field and I think its good to be disciplined to an extent but if you instill the right habits fat loss can be effortless. My training is also very measurable, quantifiable, and also autoregulated. As for creating a gym, eventually it would a serious strength gym but at the same time teach fundamentals in movement. I don't know.. the future is limitless. I could teach a lifestyle that benefits other aspects of my client's life.

MJ, I know I can fill this need, but do you think I should still pursue this path? The only doubt I have is with Time and Scale.. What are you thoughts?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Copywriting is a tool!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thank you for the insightful response MJ. That is a good question. The need in fitness is simply sustainable fatloss, and automated. I see obsession in this field and I think its good to be disciplined to an extent but if you instill the right habits fat loss can be effortless. My training is also very measurable, quantifiable, and also autoregulated. As for creating a gym, eventually it would a serious strength gym but at the same time teach fundamentals in movement. I don't know.. the future is limitless. I could teach a lifestyle that benefits other aspects of my client's life.

If weight loss IS a need ( and rightfully so), what can you offer to the table? What is your UNIQUE SALES PROPOSITION? What makes you stand out and offer exceptional value?
For example, this story might give you a hint (please, it's just an example!)

A man goes to weight-loss centre xxx.
He sees SPECIAL OFFER for $xxxxx
He is ushered into a room, and a few minutes later, a good-looking lady comes in.
"Hello," she says. "If you catch me, I'm yours for a day."
After a long chase, he succeeds and loses 10kg.

The next day, he decides to go for a more aggressive program.
He is ushered into a room, and a few minutes later, a fat hairy man that smells like peanuts comes in.
He grins and points a grimy finger at the poor guy, "If I catch you, you're mine!"

And the man thankfully escaped, and he lost enough weight to get the centre a heartful testimonial :)

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
@MJ DeMarco never said you can't follow your passion. As a matter of fact he makes a point to consistently tell people he can't make their decisions for them. If your goal is to come up with a business that fits the CENTS rules, but your passion doesn't fit those rules then you have to decide whether your passion means more to you than the fast lane.

Can you start a successful gym? Maybe. Will you? I have no idea. Can you make it fast lane? Maybe. You'll have to figure it out for yourself.

How lucky are we that a guy as successful as MJ even replies to us? Read the forum and absorb all you can. Then decide on a path and take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.