The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Plans

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Hey guys,

I made a lot of moves over the past couple of days and have a couple avenues I am going to walk down and see where it takes me. I just turned 20 and I am still in college, and the reason for my posting was to get some feedback and helpfully channel all this energy into productivity.

Over the past few days I have:

-Bought MJ's book, among 2 others which were 'Learning Javascript' and 'how to buy foreclosed Real Estate

-Contacted a local entrepreneur who has his own energy drink in PHX, AZ about possibly gaining an internship with him or possibly thinking about investing in it (great product and thought it was the best before I even met the guy and it was a luck of the draw that I got to meet the owner)

-Bought a great domain name that could potentially be flipped (forkandknives.com)

-Called and set up a meeting for tomorrow about the mobile homes in Tempe

-Contacted the young entrepreneurs club at my university and will more than likely join.

Here is where I need a little feedback. I have no problem working and would work 16 hour days if only....I had something to work on. The part that is stopping me right now is not energy, motivation, or unwillingness to do it. I am not looking to make a huge new invention, I just need to some how channel all this energy that I have into something. So here are a couple questions:

-Am I off to the right start right now by buying the java script book and learning coding? Or what are the best books or ways to get started in learning the internet in general?

-I have 0 idea how making money on the internet works (besides a little knowledge on affiliate marketing), so what would be a great way to get acquainted with this?

-If you were 20, in college (and have a full scholarship), 1500 dollars for investing and unlimited energy, what would be a great way to get some momentum going?

-My strengths are very persuasive writing, marketing/advertising, ability to focus for long periods of time and not lose motivation. Besides copywriting which is a shark infested water, is there a way to turn these into profit on the net? Also, what skills or knowledge do you believe would be invaluable to add? (name of books greatly appreciated)

I apologize for the long read and hopefully this does not come off as a "OMG, please tell me how to get rich and give me ideas" type thread. It was not my intentions, I just have way too many jumbled and sporadic ideas (think about taking a bucket of 300 bouncing balls in a 12x16 room and dropping it), and need to channel it into productivity.

P.S. I would love to be an active member in this community and contribute and do plan to do that one day when I can actually provide helpful information and not just give two word answers and be a leech.

Thanks for reading!

tl;dr =jumbled ideas, need help to take first step actions, already made some moves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
JavaScript is great to know but it's not like you'll be using it every day. You should learn HTML too. If you can find a copy of HTML 4.0 by Elizabeth Castro, that book can make you rich. Just start on page 1 and by page 30 or so you'll have the hang of it. You should also try to learn CSS, that will make your life much easier. It is easy to learn too.

I don't have any suggestions about what to do online except to say that you will almost always make more money creating and promoting your own product as opposed to being an affiliate for someone else. A big mistake people make is that they they think they need to practice as an affiliate before creating their own product that just isn't true.

Read the book and that should help you get an idea of what types of businesses are likely to be suitable for you.

Just whatever you do, don't go around buying "systems" etc. because they are mostly a load of crap. Focus on building a real business instead.

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Thank you very much, my friend.. That is exactly the type of response I was looking for. I just needed a little guidance and I will order that book. This is precisely the reason I had to post this because to be honest I thought JavaScript and HTML were the same thing.

When you say promote my own product, do you mean basically something that I could potentially offer one day?

If I could just find something to get going or knew ways that are possible to make money online I would be on fire.
I guess my main question is, what are the most useful skills you could develop on the internet that could help people?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
If you can find a copy of HTML 4.0 by Elizabeth Castro, that book can make you rich. Just start on page 1 and by page 30 or so you'll have the hang of it. You should also try to learn CSS, that will make your life much easier. It is easy to learn too.

I'm totally following through on your suggestions Flatlander, thanks! Rep++

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
When you say promote my own product, do you mean basically something that I could potentially offer one day?

Yes, you want to be a producer of something, that is one of the major points of the book. Most people do it the other way around. At some forums, 99% of the discussion is about how to be an affiliate when in fact they should be discussing how to run an affiliate program. There is a big, important difference.

I guess my main question is, what are the most useful skills you could develop on the internet that could help people?

Well it depends on what you want to do. You can still make lots of money just knowing HTML. As your sites become more complex, you can learn what you need as you go. If I were you I'd focus on HTML and CSS. In a nutshell, HTML controls the content, CSS controls the appearance. The two work hand in hand.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
If his goal is to become an entrepreneur like it sounds like it is, this is not optimal.

An understanding of HTML is important if you want to work online. Of course you could just hire people but when you are starting out most people can't afford that.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
-Bought MJ's book, among 2 others which were 'Learning Javascript' and 'how to buy foreclosed Real Estate

One book was for entrepreneurs, one was for real estate, and one was for coding.

If you want to make money fast, one of these books is good. If you want to make money slow, one of these books is good. If you want to make money very slow, one of these books is good.

You need to decide which route you want to go first. Like most excited newbies you are all over the place with a lot of different potential ideas you could do. This energy towards so many directions will delay your path for years unless you focus now. The way the math works, if your energy is divided by 3 subjects like this, your productivity will be delayed by more than 3x because it takes you much longer to get to the point where you would scale had you focused and got really good at something.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Speaking for myself, if I were in your situation I would learn how to read and interpret financial statements. That skill is critical for success. Most won't bother.

Best regards.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
How is that nonsense?

Both of these statements are nonsense:

An understanding of HTML is important if you want to work online.

No it's not

you could just hire people but when you are starting out most people can't afford that.

Overused excuse.

If you can find a copy of HTML 4.0 by Elizabeth Castro, that book can make you rich.

How rich has it made you?

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
That book says its from the late 90's. Ways of doing things have changed way to much since then for me to think that book is worth the paper its printed on.

Yes it is old but it is a great HTML primer. It will give you a great understanding of how HTML works. Just because it is old doesn't mean it is invalid. I love that book and I recommend it often.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Allow me to interpret for my good friend snowbank =)

What he is saying is it takes a different kind of knowledge or mindset to become wealthy. He isnt saying that the knowledge isn't important but snowbank is pretty infamous around here for not "knowing" exactly how to do things but he hired it out and turned them into successful businesses. I'm sure what he is saying is that 1. This gentlemen needs direction and B. He should be focusedon learning entrepreneurship instead of html, coding, or foreclosures, until he actually needs it!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
He should be focusedon learning entrepreneurship instead of html, coding, or foreclosures, until he actually needs it!

He won't ever need to know coding if he wants to make money. If he learns how to make money, he'll know how and if he implements, will make money. If he learns how to code, he still needs to learn how to make money, in order to make money. Learning to code would just delay the process for no reason at all.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
-If you were 20, in college (and have a full scholarship), 1500 dollars for investing and unlimited energy, what would be a great way to get some momentum going?

For starting off how about a ebook and get it onto clickbank? I think you can do it with that much. Archives - Get Rich Click With ClickBank

http://www.clickbank.com/index.html

[video=youtube;N3IvHgHHxsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3IvHgHHxsE&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Like most excited newbies you are all over the place with a lot of different potential ideas you could do.

I agree, just focus on one thing. I got a.d.d. and am all over, also bought a ton of books I didn't really need lol.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I agree with what Snowbank and Kung Fu Steve are saying, but knowing some coding could definitely help with the commandment of "Control".

Not saying that I would code a website myself (nor recommend it, if you're not experienced), but it sure would be nice to be able to review the code your developer has created to double check their work.

And also if a customer has a simple request, it would be nice not to have to rely upon someone that may take days to get the job done, when I could have it handled in an hour or two.

Mikerags

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 13, 2011
Here's the way I see it. Starting from day one and trying to learn every skill you might need in order to start your business, coding, HTML, CCS, accounting, product development, ect... is not the way to go. You will be learning and trying to develop nothing, with the excuse that you can't begin until you learn it all.

He's the deal, there is a time to stop the learning and set out on your path. There will be times when you are unprepared, when you will need to stop an learn. This is the time to master those skills when motivation is highest, not years before. When the pressure is on it will be much easier to learn and master.

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the help it is GREATLY appreciated...I wish there was a way I could show my gratitude!

After reading this entire thread I have found some gems, and I made some BIG moves today:

*Went to my academic advisor and the career services center--I then enrolled in the young entrepreneur networking program outside of the club

* Switched out of my pre-dental curriculum (huge risks I am taking here, I have 3.7 gpa which would definitely suffice for entry into a dental school which is a very safe road to take). This will free up a lot of time for me to work on my projects as Chemistry is very time consuming.

* Read for just over 3 hours about ebooks, clickbank,getrichclick, etc... I think this could potentially be my best bet since I like to write/promote/advertise/...not sure if this is exactly fastlane though, but it will give me a chance to have ANY sort of experience of selling through the internet.

At this point, I am still weighing my options and seeing where I want to funnel all of this energy and time into.

I guess the next step is researching markets to sell to, and researching skills to offer, or creating a product to offer. At this point, I wish I knew some credible sites that stay current with needs/demands, but I'm sure they are out there.

Thank you guys again!!

Any input??

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
At this point, I am still weighing my options and seeing where I want to funnel all of this energy and time into.

I guess the next step is researching markets to sell to, and researching skills to offer, or creating a product to offer. At this point, I wish I knew some credible sites that stay current with needs/demands, but I'm sure they are out there.

Thank you guys again!!

Any input??

The majority of the time I think it's best to jump in and start things up. In your case, I'd spend a bit of time reading good posts here and get a better idea of the direction you want to go. I have a feeling if you get too focused on just trying to make money you may go down the wrong path. Don't focus too much on making money, focus on learning how to make money. That will make a huge difference on your future income potential. If you can make $40k in year 1 trying to make money every which way, but only $80k by year 5, I'd rather go the route where you make $0 the first year but are making $1m/yr by year 5. You can only go that route by learning how to make money. The first route will leave you grinding away to try to make money.

Pick a direction. 1 direction only. You will help get this direction by reading posts/talking to people currently successful in these ventures. The more good questions you ask, the better answers you get. You can only ask good questions after doing some due diligence on your own. More good answers give you more things to do due diligence on, which creates more good questions to ask which create more good answers. You cannot skip this step, it is one of the most important ones and no one does it which is why it's so easy to make money in any market you want.

Person 1- learn from successful people how to be successful, then go do that.
Person 2- try to make money every which way taking advice from whoever will give it without a lot of focus.

One of these people will be rich, one of these people will not.

If you want to be a successful RE investor, go read every post from the couple guys on here who've been successful doing that.

If you want to be a successful entrepreneur, go read every post from the couple guys on here who've been successful doing that.

Then ask questions.

Then do more research.

Then ask more questions.

Pick what you'd like to do.

Then go do that.

It is a very easy game.

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Thank you Snowbank! Very helpful response!

The part I am stuck at is that I am not very trend savvy like most of you are. In other words, I am not exactly sure what makes money or what people are buying on the internet.

I have been trying to look it up but a good amount of the time it is just people selling their product on what they are doing...what they are doing exactly is disclosed only if you buy their book.

Even if you could tell me ways I could make 40 cents on the internet, that would be VALUABLE information to me because at least I knew it was working. I just need to know what people are buying regardless of competition because I will out work any of them. When I have an idea or something that could be marketed, I am absolutely relentless in terms of how focused I stay.

Ebooks seems like a good beginning point but I am not entirely sure if the ROI is good. If I did write one, I would plan to research whatever topic I could so that it is absolutely flawless, then market the hell out of it like I always do.But I need product. I need a service. I need a skill, but at this point, I don't know what works or where to even begin. Scam and con artists have screwed the game up for me because I never know if they are actually money making techniques, or just a bunch of BS.

"If you can make $40k in year 1 trying to make money every which way, but only $80k by year 5, I'd rather go the route where you make $0 the first year but are making $1m/yr by year 5. You can only go that route by learning how to make money. The first route will leave you grinding away to try to make money."

I love what you said here, except at this point, I would love to learn how to make 40 k just by pure work because I believe that I could flip that money and keep doubling it.

I just need to know what my options are for someone who has a work ethic second to none, exceptional and persuasive writing skills, and good at research and implementing it. I am not an IT wizard, I have 0 experience in coding except
, and don't have a specialized skill---I guess my point is however that I am willing to learn. I just need to be put in the direction to do so, and know what is good market before I waste a lot of my life into something that has no return.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
The part I am stuck at is that I am not very trend savvy like most of you are.

You're not stuck on that part you're creating an excuse for yourself. Of the successful people on this forum, 0 of them depended on being "trend savvy" to become successful. Giving people what they want has nothing to do with picking the next big thing.

I have been trying to look it up but a good amount of the time it is just people selling their product on what they are doing...what they are doing exactly is disclosed only if you buy their book.

Stay off the warrior forums

Ebooks seems like a good beginning point

Why? I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong, I just don't think you know why you're saying this. It's good relative to what?

If I did write one, I would plan to research whatever topic I could so that it is absolutely flawless

If you don't know the subject, why would you research it and do it yourself instead of partnering with someone who knew the subject extremely well? You'd be wasting time, money, quality. Time= money, and lower quality would cost you money, so really you'd be wasting money, money and money.

then market the hell out of it like I always do

How will you market?(be specific)

I would love to learn how to make 40 k just by pure work because I believe that I could flip that money and keep doubling it.

If that was the case everyone would retire within 5-10 years. People who make $50k/yr, $100k/yr or whatever they make can't double it because they don't know how to make money, they just know how to work for it. You're asking for a way to work for $40k. If you work for $40k, you still won't have a clue how to make large returns. That doesn't make any sense. They are two entirely different skill sets. With whatever you do online you'll be making money if you do it correctly, you don't need to make $0 to learn to make money, that was used for an example. If you just try to do any random thing to make money online you will NOT know how to double your money.

If you really did know how to double your money, you would realize that you would only have to double your $1.5k 10 times and you'd have $1,500,000.

I just need to know what my options are for someone who has a work ethic second to none

Your options are unlimited. Your work ethic will be shown if you are asking substantially different questions a month from now, people will know you've put in some work.

People are very willing to help those who work hard at things. Most people talk about working hard at things and just post a lot instead. If you work hard, people will be willing to help you once you get to the next stage and have new sets of questions.

Thank you Snowbank! Very helpful response!

Welcome

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Where can I sign up for a weekly Snowbank kick in the a$$?

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Again, thank you very much Snowbank, that is exactly what I needed.

As for the ebooks, I was thinking about writing a few of those because I am trying to play off of my strengths which is writing. I enjoy various things such as MMA, Hockey, Music and everything involved in music, Writing, Business (more specifically advertising, no better feeling than generating interesting and closing), Discussion about rehabilitating injuries, Nutrition and fitness in general. I believe with some fine tuning and tons of research, I can create a credible e book. People are not going to buy your book if its just some guy talking out of his a$$ and not expertise. Since I am only 20, its hard to be an expert in these areas, but with careful planning, studying, and creativity, you can produce QUALITY products.

I completely agree about what you said relating to working for 40 k or having 40 k work for you. My situation is that I only have 1500 (about to be ~1800) to invest with, so I am trying to make a little more--gotta raise funds somehow. Even 25 cents off the internet means something to me! It means I have someone tuned in, and it also starts with just that one person.

"How will you market?(be specific)"

Using my natural ability to sell using my words (fine tuned by reading copywriting and advertising language books), going viral and putting out free content and explanations on youtube, blogging about interests to drive traffic, telling my friends, families, and business connections about my ventures, learning some SEO or outsource using my uncle who is phenomenal at that, writing articles, using facebook groups, twitter, joining forums and message boards, craigslist (often overlooked by many), creating partnerships in a selected niche market, just to name a few.

"If you really did know how to double your money, you would realize that you would only have to double your $1.5k 10 times and you'd have $1,500,000."

Touche.

As for work ethic, I completely agree. Talking is boring and dull, but action is exciting. I will give back to this board when I find the way and will be active. If I wasn't serious and was going to let this fizzle out, I wouldn't be writing this much and asking as many questions. I am willing to learn. I am willing to put in 'x' amount of work, and whatever x is, is not important to me. I just need some guidance at this point.

Competition is good. It means money is being made there. I just need to figure out what exactly is making this money and solve needs better than someone else doing it. I am just not too familiar with the internet and have too many ideas that it hurts my brain. Once I can find that one thing that is in demand on the internet, I'll do what I always do and obsess and just become an absolute beast at it. I did this when I played soccer, I did it when I did martial arts, and I am going to apply it to business...
its just all about finding that skill I guess, because I am not too sure what could generate income just by pure hard work alone

Sorry for the long read. I am just excited, willing to learn, and want to be taken seriously, and want to get started...RIGHT NOW. It's not even about the money. I just like business in general. Now I just need to make one.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
My situation is that I only have 1500 (about to be ~1800) to invest with, so I am trying to make a little more--gotta raise funds somehow.

What are you going to do with $40k, retire? Focus on learning how to make money. You'll make money as you go. Stop believing that you "have to raise more money" to be able to do something big.

Competition is good. It means money is being made there.

Sometimes it means there is tiny money there with people who like making that amount of money. Don't be confused by these things.

Once I can find that one thing that is in demand on the internet, I'll do what I always do and obsess and just become an absolute beast at it.

There's a million things, that's the point. They'll start becoming obvious once you start focusing on learning instead of all these other things. No more posting, go read posts by MJ, Biophase, etc...

Here's a few I've posted that will help:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...8928-compilation-peter2-advice-must-read.html

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...00th-post-some-legendary-advice-thoughts.html

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/general-business-discussion/25393-mj-offering-free-mentoring.html

Last edited by a moderator:

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Edit:

Forget all that actually. I know what I am going to do now and I had the answer all along--it was slapping me in the face and all I was doing was saying 'stop it!'.

Thank you guys very much for your help and I promise when I make it, I will contribute tremendously to this forum! You have it in writing!

For now, I am going to keep my mouth shut and just ask questions when needed...Time to get off the forum and start getting active and doing the research. I have been doing nothing but reading, researching, etc for the past 72 hours and have even found while I was sleeping, business ideas were in my dreams LOL. Talk about productivity.

I just have one last question...and I know I will get flamed for it but it's okay since it's something I need to know.

Is setting goals of acheiving 40k in revenue in one year a realistic goal for someone just starting out or does it take years to generate this kind of money? Millions is the big picture, but I need to smart smaller at first and need to set a goal.

Thank you.

Ryan

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Is setting goals of acheiving 40k in revenue in one year a realistic goal for someone just starting out or does it take years to generate this kind of money? Millions is the big picture, but I need to smart smaller at first and need to set a goal.

You should know whatever number you will hit based on your due diligence beforehand. If your research and number crunching tells you 40k, as long as you put the work in, that's the number you should hit.

Making 40k in revenue definitely does not take years to make. Also, don't focus on revenue. Revenue is irrelevant. Focus on profit. Is $40k profit in 1 year a lot- no. You should be aiming higher.

Also, your name is not on the B+P list yet, so sign up. It will help you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.