The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Chapter!

Forrest Light

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 8, 2018
California
Hello,

My name is Forrest. It is very nice to "meet" you all here. I am a 27-year old male living in SoCal. I experienced my first major "financial healing" at 20 years old when I learned extensively about slowlane methodologies (they were very useful to me at that time) from Dave Ramsey (who I now think offers a lot of horrible advice for those of us with fastlane entrepreneurship emphasis -- albeit also teaching some basic, sound financial principles like budgeting, saving, and giving). I also learned a lot from other Slowlane teachers.

After awakening to foundational financial responsibility by learning Slowlane methodologies, I waited seven years -- until now -- to finally make the decision to throw the Slowlane books out the window and virtually only focus on the Fastlane (while remaining committed to some intelligent slowlane principles for personal money management, as well). Part of the reason why I waited so long is because, this year, I wanted to brush up on my financial house before moving into a full-force Fastlane focus. However, the other part of why I waited so long is because my concentration in life went elsewhere.

Four and a half years ago, I founded a local not-for-profit organization (my first venture) which provided educational, transformative, and community-building experiences for my community and assisted them in creating a greater quality of life physically, emotionally, socially, relationally, spiritually, and financially. Soon, we began attracting thousands of people to our programs, received years of consistent, county-wide media coverage, clothed thousands of needy individuals throughout Southern California through the clothing drives attached to the events, and hosted world-renowned personal development speakers and talent such as Jack Canfield, Michael Bernard Beckwith, Kathlyn and Gay Hendricks, Dr. Dan Siegel, Deva Premal & Miten, et al.

It was an extraordinary journey, starting with "nothing". I learned so much, developed a lot of skills, met all kinds of interesting individuals and change-makers, and allowed it to become my life's primary mission and purpose. Unfortunately, when the C0VlD-19 lockdowns occurred, our business model was destroyed (we are live event based), and I just do not have any interest in creating a digital "event" business for this organization. My mission was to create real, in-person community in a context of shared values.

While I plan to return to hosting events and programs when the lockdowns lift, I foresee that it will simply be for the love and joy of adding something beautiful to our community as a passion project, and not as a full-time vocation. This is perfectly okay with me. However, it leaves me searching for a new purpose and direction.

That is what brought me back to Mr. DeMarco's books and the Fastlane Forum -- I read his book many years ago, but my focus went more to starting and growing a philanthropic/charitable organization. However, now that I have the terrific opportunity of "pivoting" my career entirely (thank you, lockdowns!), I am ready to forge a path ahead on the Fastlane road of entrepreneurship. As someone born with the desire to serve as a healer, my overarching purpose and mission in life is to help alleviate suffering on a national and/or international scale. I have no clue what that looks like right now or what forms of "suffering" I will eventually focus on alleviating over the next decades of my life, but I view Fastlane entrepreneurship as a stepping stone of growth on that path.

The specific "need" I will meet via my next entrepreneurial venture (this time, for-profit!) is not known to me yet; I have many ideas, such as composing music (I have no passion for it but people enjoy it), writing and speaking, real estate investing, securities trading, consulting, and/or focusing on meeting some other important needs via entrepreneurship. I'm reading both of Mr. DeMarco's books again in order to develop greater clarity about which path has the highest probability of being the best choice.

That's all for now. I look forward to meeting more of you, participating in the forum, learning about you and also being supportive of your needs!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hello,

My name is Forrest. It is very nice to "meet" you all here. I am a 27-year old male living in SoCal. After healing from numerous serious illnesses as a teenager, I experienced my first major "financial healing" at 20 years old when I learned extensively about slowlane methodologies (they were very useful to me at that time) from Dave Ramsey (who I now think offers a lot of horrible advice for those of us with fastlane entrepreneurship emphasis -- albeit also teaching some basic, sound financial principles like budgeting, saving, and giving). I also learned a lot from other Slowlane teachers.

After awakening to foundational financial responsibility by learning Slowlane methodologies, I waited seven years -- until now -- to finally make the decision to throw the Slowlane books out the window and virtually only focus on the Fastlane (while remaining committed to some intelligent slowlane principles for personal money management, as well). Part of the reason why I waited so long is because, this year, I wanted to brush up on my financial house before moving into a full-force Fastlane focus. However, the other part of why I waited so long is because my concentration in life went elsewhere.

Four and a half years ago, I founded a local not-for-profit organization (my first venture) which provided educational, transformative, and community-building experiences for my community and assisted them in creating a greater quality of life physically, emotionally, socially, relationally, spiritually, and financially. In short order, we began attracting thousands of people to our programs, 100+ local media articles/interviews, clothed thousands of needy individuals throughout Southern California through the clothing drives attached to our events, featured world-renowned personal development speakers and talent like Jack Canfield, Michael Bernard Beckwith, Kathlyn and Gay Hendricks, Dr. Dan Siegel, Deva Premal & Miten, et al.

It was an extraordinary journey, starting with "nothing". I learned so much, built many different life and business skills (PR, public speaking, corporate sponsorship, grant-writing, event production, business law & entity formation, accounting, strategic planning, strategic partnerships, fundraising, marketing, etc.), developed deeper bonds with my birth family than I ever imagined having (the organization served as a "glue" that brought us closer together by working together on many of its various projects), met all sorts of interesting, fascinating, and remarkable individuals and change-makers, and I allowed it to become my life's primary mission and purpose. Unfortunately, when the C0VlD-19 lockdowns occurred, our business model was destroyed (we are live event based), and the truth is that I just do not have any interest in creating a digital "live event" business for this organization. My mission was to create real, in-person community in a context of shared values.

While I plan to return to hosting events and programs when the lockdowns lift, I foresee that it will simply be for the love and joy of adding something beautiful to our community as a passion project, and not as a full-time vocation. This is perfectly okay with me. However, it leaves me searching for a new purpose and direction.

That is what brought me back to Mr. DeMarco's books and the Fastlane Forum -- I read his book many years ago, but my focus went more to starting and growing a philanthropic/charitable organization, and learning all about how to accomplish that (worth every moment despite being extremely difficult and not very rewarding financially). However, now that I have the terrific opportunity of "pivoting" my career entirely (thank you, lockdowns!), I am ready to forge a path ahead on the Fastlane road of entrepreneurship and have been looking forward to this time for many years. As someone born with the desire to serve as a healer, my overarching purpose and mission in life, and what I feel would fulfill my spirit most at the core, is to help alleviate suffering in our world on a national and/or international scale. I have no clue what that looks like right now or what forms of "suffering" I will eventually focus on alleviating over the next decades of my life, but I view Fastlane entrepreneurship as a stepping stone of growth into that ultimate purpose, while also helping meet important needs for people in the process.

The specific "need" I will meet via my next entrepreneurial venture (this time, for-profit!) is not known to me yet; I have many ideas, such as composing music (I have no passion for it but I do have talent that moves people's hearts), writing and speaking, real estate investing, securities trading, consulting, and/or focusing on meeting some other important needs via entrepreneurship (one of my great loves is, in fact, managing and growing an organization). I'm reading both of Mr. DeMarco's books again in order to develop greater clarity about which path has the highest probability of being the best choice.

That's all for now. I look forward to meeting more of you, participating in the forum, learning about you and also being supportive of your needs!

California and needs. Here's a free idea, a dam wetsuit that is not impossible and irritating to take off when surfing. Just thinking about wiggling out of one irriates the hell out of me, being a spoiled snowboarder it's so easy to throw a jacket on (or skateboarding just wear normal clothes) but surfing has a whole process to taking off/putting on a wet suit. Not sure how you solve that but possibly a million bucks in the bank if you figure it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.