The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help with cold outreach

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Hello everyone,

I built a good website for a construction company and they said that they got good leads from the website. So, I guess I did a good job.

I spent the last 2 weeks searching for leads and I got some email addresses and LinkedIn accounts.

I'm sending them messages but most of the ignore me or tell me they're not interested. Here's how I'm doing this:

Hello X.

I recently completed a project for a company very similar to yours that helped them increase their clientele quite a bit.

Here's the link: www.websitethatsells.com

My client, Mr John Smith, reported that they're getting an average of 5 good leads from this website every week, which translates to some good projects.

If you want, I can share my knowledge with you so that you can experience the same success as they did.

Ask me any questions and I'll happily answer them.

- CryptoGuru

What do you guys think of this? I'm sending each email manually because I make sure I'm researching the client first and tailor my message to each one.

I sent this to 15 people already but didn't get a single one to talk to me.

Should I just continue or do I need to change my strategy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
Is it me or does cold outreach feel like an awful time suck. You have to build the list, message the list, create videos for those who reply, then follow up with everyone again.

Is there a better way?
Buy a list or hire a guy from a third world country in fiverr for 50 dollars to get you 300 leads.

Or just a get a subscription on IcyLeads and get 2000 leads.

Put the list on 4 cold email sequence.

For those who book appointments get on a strategy call.

Here are the 4 things that matter to run a successful Service Based Busines.

- Solid Busines Foundation (niche, market problem, solution, message) already learned from MJ

- Worldview and good paradigm (knowing that money is abundant and it will come to you as long as you have value)

- Generating Strategy Sessions (DMs, Emails, Cold Calls, referrals)

- Doing Strategy Sessions (Make sure to do atleast 30-35 calls before doubting your market, service or self)

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Buy a list or hire a guy from a third world country in fiverr for 50 dollars to get you 300 leads.

- Solid Busines Foundation (niche, market problem, solution, message) already learned from MJ

- Worldview and good paradigm (knowing that money is abundant and it will come to you as long as you have value)

- Doing Strategy Sessions (Make sure to do atleast 30-35 calls before doubting your market, service or self)

This sound's good but I also run businesses myself and I get contacted by marketing agencies and I never, I mean never read their emails or messages. If they cold call me I just hang up or tell them I'm ok.

If I'm doing cold outreach then it needs to be something different. Offer some sort of value to people on a video which takes a lot of time to do.

Or like Andy said, get in Facebook groups and start chatting with people.

TheFrancophile

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Feb 5, 2017
Lyon, France
Hello everyone,

I built a good website for a construction company and they said that they got good leads from the website. So, I guess I did a good job.

I spent the last 2 weeks searching for leads and I got some email addresses and LinkedIn accounts.

I'm sending them messages but most of the ignore me or tell me they're not interested. Here's how I'm doing this:

What do you guys think of this? I'm sending each email manually because I make sure I'm researching the client first and tailor my message to each one.

I sent this to 15 people already but didn't get a single one to talk to me.

Should I just continue or do I need to change my strategy?

Oh my gosh, your prospecting emails and LinkedIn DMs get ignored ?!!!!!

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE !!!

How on Earth could that happen? After all, you proposed such valuable services to people who may very well need them!

Here's why:
Because email and social network DMs are utterly ineffective as means of prospecting.

At best, they can complement a phone call (before or after it) and soften your prospects' initial resistance. They are also sometimes useful in letting your prospects know that you exist at all.

Also, an email with plenty of info attached, sent prior to a phone call, can preemptively disable the "send us more information" brushoff. You can even mention in your call that you sent an email a while ago.

But by themselves, email and social media DMs are utterly ineffective.

The reason for this is twofold.

Firstly, your prospects are bombarded by HUNDREDS of emails and DMs DAILY, compared to about 20-40 calls per day depending on your industry.

Secondly, your prospects are free to ignore ANY email/DM you send them. In 99% of cases, they won't even bother to reply.

What's more, most email software these days automatically puts any email from unknown senders directly in the spam folder... where your prospects will NEVER see them.

But, as people said on this very forum 3 years ago, you can easily put your prospect on the spot with a phone call.

Sure, you may get rejected (and chances are, most of the time, you will), but with a phone call, you'll at least provoke your prospects to give you a response.

Let me be very blunt (even if I offend some people) :
Prospecting by email and DMs is for wussies who are too scared to pick up the damn phon
e.

With all that being said, if I had to correct one thing in your DMs/emails, it would be this:

Don't start off by pitching your service/product, no matter how valuable it might be. People hate that.

Instead, begin your message by referring to THEM, their company, their website, their products/services, something they posted on social media/their blog, or some article published recently about them, or anything else you can uncover.

E.g.:
"The Chicago Daily Tribune recently wrote you ..."
"On your Facebook profile, I recently saw you post XYZ ..."
"I recently saw your website and it looks really great, congratulations. For my part, if you want, I can help you with..."

You get the idea.

By beginning your message this way, you show that:

1) You're up to date with the news about them (you've done some research about them);
2) You care about what they say and do; and
3) Therefore, you're not like other salespeople, who just want to pitch their product/service.

Last edited:

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Why are you trying so hard to sell people on cold calling vs. cold email or messaging?

You've made three claims here which are completely untrue:
Firstly, your prospects are bombarded by HUNDREDS of emails and DMs DAILY, compared to about 20-40 calls per day depending on your industry.

Secondly, your prospects are free to ignore ANY email/DM you send them. In 99% of cases, they won't even bother to reply.

What's more, most email software these days automatically puts any email from unknown senders directly in the spam folder... where your prospects will NEVER see them.
Aside from the fact you say "your prospects" without actually knowing who our prospects are, none of this is backed up by proven data. You're just spreading misinformation.

I would imagine you've personally not been very successful with your cold email or messaging outreach. Have you perhaps considered that it may be your approach, or are you just assuming that it's "utterly ineffective" for everyone?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I've created a Facebook Group and I have 5 members in it today (no they are not my friends that I invited, I got them in from a niche group I'm targeting).

I'm going to start making marketing videos for them showing them how to do the basics.

I'll see if this is a good way to clients. Hopefully in a month I'll have some updates on it.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Aside from the fact you say "your prospects" without actually knowing who our prospects are, none of this is backed up by proven data. You're just spreading misinformation.
To act as devil's advocate:
Is it proven to by disproved?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
How's the cold outreach going?

I didn't really do it because I'm getting stuck in to Facebook groups but I think I need to start doing some cold emailing.

I signed up to Quickmail and bought the course.

Who knew there was so much work in sending cold emails. I got a .org for my domain so it doesn't affect the main domain.

Will be building my list soon.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
50 dollars to get you 300 leads.

Fantastic advice regarding Fiverr list prospecting, I'm surprised I didn't think/know about this before!

I'm implementing many of the ideas on this thread for my own web design business - I'll make updates with any progress

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
I decided to give up on freelancing and get back to work a full time job for now. I find websites to be impossible to sell.

I'll save up some cash to start another business after a couple months.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.