The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help with cold outreach

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Hello everyone,

I built a good website for a construction company and they said that they got good leads from the website. So, I guess I did a good job.

I spent the last 2 weeks searching for leads and I got some email addresses and LinkedIn accounts.

I'm sending them messages but most of the ignore me or tell me they're not interested. Here's how I'm doing this:

Hello X.

I recently completed a project for a company very similar to yours that helped them increase their clientele quite a bit.

Here's the link: www.websitethatsells.com

My client, Mr John Smith, reported that they're getting an average of 5 good leads from this website every week, which translates to some good projects.

If you want, I can share my knowledge with you so that you can experience the same success as they did.

Ask me any questions and I'll happily answer them.

- CryptoGuru

What do you guys think of this? I'm sending each email manually because I make sure I'm researching the client first and tailor my message to each one.

I sent this to 15 people already but didn't get a single one to talk to me.

Should I just continue or do I need to change my strategy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
15 people is absolutely nothing - reach out to 1,000 people and get back to us. You can easily reach 100 people a day, minimum

Sign up for LinkedIn Sales Navigator and start using that to find decision makers for companies who you think you can help.

Check out @Fox 's threads, like the one below.

While yes, you should be doing this at scale, I would not recommend sending 100 cold emails per day. That kind of volume, especially straight out of the gate, is likely to harm your domain reputation and start getting you marked as spam.

If you split it up over other channels though, then that would be fine. Yeah.

E.g. Something like 30 cold emails, 20 LinkedIn connections (limit is 100 per week), 30 cold calls, and 20 facebook messages (DM the business page) would be a good strategy.

You'll then get a better idea of which channel works best for your niche and service offering.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Is it me or does cold outreach feel like an awful time suck. You have to build the list, message the list, create videos for those who reply, then follow up with everyone again.

Is there a better way?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
@CryptoGuru this response is getting buried quickly.

I think you passed over it because you couldn't see it for what it was -- brilliant.

You can go knock on 100 doors today and say "gee, mister, you wouldn't wanna buy anything from me would you?" -- you might get one just out of pity but that's no way to build a business.

Your income is in direct proportion to the amount and QUALITY of offers you make.

Shift your focus:

• Those are not nameless, faceless, faceless numbers you're reaching out to -- it's people. Real people. Imagine walking into a room full of strangers, shaking hands, and before anything is even said you go "I can build a website" ... how freaking creepy is that?

• I'll mirror momo's advice.

"Hey future client, I just dove into your website and saw a couple of things that might get you more customers. I can send them over in an email if you'd like? And if you're ever in need of a fantastic web designer, I'd love to interview for the gig. Which email is best?"

• If you can do that in a video USING their name and website? You're going to start getting the response you're looking for but it's f*cking work, dude. You gotta work.

When people say "provide value" -- this is what they're talking about. Your pitch needs to provide value. "I have a 8-point checklist I run through for all of my clients. It looks like if you did this, this, and this you could potentially get more business and leads from your website!" <-- a basic example but I hope you get the point.

Every pitch I make comes with value.

I started pitching my new ad agency business and here's my pitch "I'll work with you to build a plan to double or triple your business in a single year... and one of 3 things is going to happen. You love the plan and do it on your own. You love the plan and decide to become a client of mine. And in the unprecedented event you think I've wasted your time, I'll pay you $200."

(I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm just giving you an example of what I'm doing)

This is just absolute gold.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I sent this to 15 people already but didn't get a single one to talk to me.

15 people is absolutely nothing - reach out to 1,000 people and get back to us. You can easily reach 100 people a day, minimum

Sign up for LinkedIn Sales Navigator and start using that to find decision makers for companies who you think you can help.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021

Ok sounds good. Just wanted to make sure I'm not sending the wrong kind of message or something.

I don't have money for coaching right now, I bought Sales Navigator and I'm almost broke. Hopefully I'll get something this month.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Not a terrible outreach email to be honest.

The main thing you need to change is the call to action. You can't just expect them to come up with questions.

I'd recommend asking them for a quick call. That's the goal here, to get them on the phone.

The other option would be to ask them a specific question to gauge their interest first.

You also need to be using a larger sample size. Come back once you've sent to 100 or 200 and tell us your stats. You should be tracking open rates, reply rates, and call booking rates.

If you can't get a high open rate after some testing though, cold email may not be the best outreach method for this niche. You may be better off cold calling for smaller local construction businesses.

Which part of the email are you customising?

You need to be able to do this at scale. Why did it take you 2 weeks to send to 15 people? Why can't you do that in a day?

Also, who are you sending this to? Are you getting personal emails of the business owners?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Ok sounds good. Just wanted to make sure I'm not sending the wrong kind of message or something.

I don't have money for coaching right now, I bought Sales Navigator and I'm almost broke. Hopefully I'll get something this month.

You don't have to sign up for the coaching - just dig through his other threads for lots of free value on how to run a profitable web design company.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
While yes, you should be doing this at scale, I would not recommend sending 100 cold emails per day. That kind of volume, especially straight out of the gate, is likely to harm your domain reputation and start getting you marked as spam.

If you split it up over other channels though, then that would be fine. Yeah.

Good correction - that's what I meant, and that is what I should have said.

Cold call as much as you like, but try to limit business and LinkedIn connections to 25 a day or so.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021

The main thing you need to change is the call to action. You can't just expect them to come up with questions.

I'd recommend asking them for a quick call. That's the goal here, to get them on the phone.

The other option would be to ask them a specific question to gauge their interest first.

You also need to be using a larger sample size. Come back once you've sent to 100 or 200 and tell us your stats. You should be tracking open rates, reply rates, and call booking rates.

If you can't get a high open rate after some testing though, cold email may not be the best outreach method for this niche. You may be better off cold calling for smaller local construction businesses.

You need to be able to do this at scale. Why did it take you 2 weeks to send to 15 people? Why can't you do that in a day?

Also, who are you sending this to? Are you getting personal emails of the business owners?

Isn't it too early for a call? They don't know me so I figure that I'd just try to get them to rely instead.

I'm not putting trackers in my email right now because I'm scared to get in spam. I just send plain text emails instead.

I customize the email based on what I discovered about the prospect. For example, if they need a redesign instead of a new website.

I'm doing this manually right now. Do you suggest I automate instead? I wanted to focus on quality instead of quantity but it's taking a long time to research every prospect before I contact them.

Yea, I'm sending on their personal emails. I also use InMail on LinkedIn. They open my message and I see the "seen" status but no reply.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Isn't it too early for a call? They don't know me so I figure that I'd just try to get them to rely instead.

I'm not putting trackers in my email right now because I'm scared to get in spam. I just send plain text emails instead.

I customize the email based on what I discovered about the prospect. For example, if they need a redesign instead of a new website.

I'm doing this manually right now. Do you suggest I automate instead? I wanted to focus on quality instead of quantity but it's taking a long time to research every prospect before I contact them.

Yea, I'm sending on their personal emails. I also use InMail on LinkedIn. They open my message and I see the "seen" status but no reply.

The point of a cold call is so that they can get to know you. You wouldn't usually be looking to close straight away, just booking another call for a later date. Definitely look into it, you can start by watching some youtube videos to give you an idea of what to say.

Trackers on your email are fine. You can use GMass for free which allows for tracking, scheduling multiple sends, and personalisation.

It is good to start somewhat manually until you figure out what works. However, you have a template already which you can just add personalised merge tags to.

You could then have multiple options saved which you can just slot in based on what you have found out about them. E.g. one templated bullet point based on those who need a redesign, or a different option for those you think need a new site.

If you then want to personalise further, you can also add a "personalized first line" a la Alex Berman:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn1BgvIhEOU

It shouldn't take you hours to research and personalise each prospect though. Just come up with a template that you test a few dozen times, then spend a few minutes personalising each email to the individual prospect.

Edit: One thing you should also do is customise your template to the niche/segment. Since you're sending to construction companies, it should be written in a way which appeals to them specifically. Right now, your template could be sent to ANY type of business. It should be tailored to only fit your niche: construction companies.

What exactly do construction companies want? What problems might they have specifically? What kind of terminology do they use to describe that?

Last edited:

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Big red flag with your cold outreach for me is

The first word in the body is "I". Whether it's cold or warm, you don't want to open with something "you-centric". Rearrange your phrasing to hardly use I, my, or me.

Start to cold call prospects. Follow the general outline of your cold email message (which isn't that bad, just needs some work) but over voice.

You can reach people who don't ever look at unknown emails and also improve your verbal skills at the same time, which you will absolutely need when you get prospects on the phone for meetings and pitches.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

If Irina Shayk called me out of the blue asking to come over because she didn't want to be alone during the thunderstorm, I guarantee you that I wouldn't give a shit about if she called too early or how she got my number.

The point that I'm making is that if you're offering people something that they really want, they'll quickly get over the fact that you're a stranger. Now, you'll obviously have to demonstrate your credibility, but trust me, you can call soon.

And here's something that will help you a lot: you need to seriously believe that what you're doing will help these people. If you knew that every time you redid someone's website that they wound up with an additional $50,000 in sales the next month, guaranteed, would you hesitate for even a second to pick up that phone? Honestly, you'd be an a**hole if you didn't pester them about redoing their website if you were that good.

There is nothing more powerful in life than belief. Zilch. Zero. Nada. You need to internalize the fact that you can help these people and it will dramatically improve your ability to close deals.

BdaZ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Vietnam
The offer looks a bit weak. Thats the main problem, amongst a few other things.

Your offer:
"If you want, I can share my knowledge with you so that you can experience the same success as they did.

Ask me any questions and I'll happily answer them."

Its a bit vague.

My advice is to make the offer way more concrete and something that is very easy to say yes to on their part. So the offer could look something like:

"I created a video for you where I show exactly what we did for company X to get them 5 extra potential customers a week and how these strategies can be implemented on your website to get similar results.

If you want me to send them over, just reply with a simple "yes" and i'll send it right over to you."

The offer above is really easy to say yes to for them. It hardly takes any effort. And you can identify who is interested quickly. Then once you send the video, you can do a follow up call with them in a few days, or you can even give them the option to book a free consult with you.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I email or DM saying I've made a personalised video for you about email marketing that will help increase your sales by 20% or more. What's the best email address to send this to?

I only make the videos for those who say send it to this email.

I sent out 15 messages yesterday and got 2 replies for a video.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Ok guys 3 people replied to me and they said they aren't interested but send them a portfolio of all my sites. They'll contact me if they are ever in need.

Does that mean they would be interested if I showed them more of my works or are they just not interested?

Because I clearly showed them a good website that brought real results so idk.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
So what is the biggest benefit here? What do these companies care about most?

They are asking to see what your other websites "look" like, but this isn't what's going to move the needle for them. So it's likely they're just not really that interested in what you're saying.

Maybe you need to improve your outreach messaging to actually highlight the revenue-driving part.

"My client, Mr John Smith, reported that they're getting an average of 5 good leads from this website every week, which translates to some good projects."

Is that literally what you say (apart from the name part)? Because it needs to be a lot more specific than that. Specific to their niche and explaining how exactly your work on his website is getting those leads.

If you're sending via email, they're also likely visiting your domain and checking if you have a portfolio or case studies there.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
So what is the biggest benefit here? What do these companies care about most?

They are asking to see what your other websites "look" like, but this isn't what's going to move the needle for them. So it's likely they're just not really that interested in what you're saying.

Maybe you need to improve your outreach messaging to actually highlight the revenue-driving part.

"My client, Mr John Smith, reported that they're getting an average of 5 good leads from this website every week, which translates to some good projects."

Is that literally what you say (apart from the name part)? Because it needs to be a lot more specific than that. Specific to their niche and explaining how exactly your work on his website is getting those leads.

If you're sending via email, they're also likely visiting your domain and checking if you have a portfolio or case studies there.
Yes but I want them to reply so that I can get into the specifics.

They might not be interested though because I don't see how seeing my portfolio would provide any useful information. Case studies are more useful but right now I only have 1.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Yes but I want them to reply so that I can get into the specifics.

They might not be interested though because I don't see how seeing my portfolio would provide any useful information. Case studies are more useful but right now I only have 1.

It doesn't matter that you only have 1, you need to make it sound attractive to your prospects.

You need to be specific in how your website got those leads, what exactly they translated into for your client, and use strong vocabulary that is relevant to your niche.

Otherwise, these prospects aren't going to believe you and they aren't going to give a F. They're not going to reply at all if that's the case. Or when they do, they're going to give you some fake objection like "send me a portfolio".

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
It doesn't matter that you only have 1, you need to make it sound attractive to your prospects.

You need to be specific in how your website got those leads, what exactly they translated into for your client, and use strong vocabulary that is relevant to your niche.

Otherwise, these prospects aren't going to believe you and they aren't going to give a F. They're not going to reply at all if that's the case. Or when they do, they're going to give you some fake objection like "send me a portfolio".
Ok I'll rewrite my message to include some more specific details.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
Check this out :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwSGZ-sVuc

He literally shows it all, the exact script, first liners and lead gen.

Be sure to stop everything, watch the video till the end and take notes, instead of watching 2 min and making a tea or ending up on some YouTube rabbit hole.

Also no matter how dumb it may sound, or that may think that this approach doesn't work.

Still do it!

Make sure to make 600 Outreaches, 20 per day, before tweaking anything.

I've literally seen such dumb people get rich doing boring things over and over!

You can do it too.

Also not affiliated with Jordan Platten or anything, just love his YouTube SMMA content.

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Ok guys, I got 5 people to reply to me but none turned into clients.

4 of them asked me about the price. They basically replied like this:

"Yes, this sounds interested but how much will it cost me?".

So, I tried replying with:

"The cost varies but it will be around $2000. Let's get on a call to talk more about it."

One of then told me this:

"$2000! Is there any difference between what you offer and Wix?"

Then I told this guy that he's free to try out Wix and see if he attains his desired results with it. If not, then he can ask me to build his website. He said he will get back to me (will never happen, I know).

The rest said they will get back to me, nothing else.

One of them asked for portfolio. I told her about that one project and how it helped the client in landing projects. They replied with:

"Let me check with my partner and get back to you"

Of course, she will never get back to me.

Can anyone help me diagnose this?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I email or DM saying I've made a personalised video for you about email marketing that will help increase your sales by 20% or more. What's the best email address to send this to?

I only make the videos for those who say send it to this email.

I sent out 15 messages yesterday and got 2 replies for a video.

I think you passed over it because you couldn't see it for what it was -- brilliant.

You can go knock on 100 doors today and say "gee, mister, you wouldn't wanna buy anything from me would you?" -- you might get one just out of pity but that's no way to build a business.

Your income is in direct proportion to the amount and QUALITY of offers you make.

Shift your focus:

• Those are not nameless, faceless, faceless numbers you're reaching out to -- it's people. Real people. Imagine walking into a room full of strangers, shaking hands, and before anything is even said you go "I can build a website" ... how freaking creepy is that?

"Hey future client, I just dove into your website and saw a couple of things that might get you more customers. I can send them over in an email if you'd like? And if you're ever in need of a fantastic web designer, I'd love to interview for the gig. Which email is best?"

• If you can do that in a video USING their name and website? You're going to start getting the response you're looking for but it's F*cking work, dude. You gotta work.

When people say "provide value" -- this is what they're talking about. Your pitch needs to provide value. "I have a 8-point checklist I run through for all of my clients. It looks like if you did this, this, and this you could potentially get more business and leads from your website!" <-- a basic example but I hope you get the point.

I started pitching my new ad agency business and here's my pitch "I'll work with you to build a plan to double or triple your business in a single year... and one of 3 things is going to happen. You love the plan and do it on your own. You love the plan and decide to become a client of mine. And in the unprecedented event you think I've wasted your time, I'll pay you $200."

(I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm just giving you an example of what I'm doing)

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021

Shift your focus:

• If you can do that in a video USING their name and website? You're going to start getting the response you're looking for but it's f*cking work, dude. You gotta work.

Ok I'll check this out.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know you said outreach.

Have you made the most of communities of local business owners, or businesses in the niche you already had results in?

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
I know you said outreach.

Have you made the most of communities of local business owners, or businesses in the niche you already had results in?
I'm targeting the same niche as the website I'm using as portfolio - construction companies.

I tried local meetups not in the same niche but it was a terrible experience. In the construction niche, I don't know how to meet them apart from cold calling/emailing/inmailing. The owners are usually not very familiar with computers in general either.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
Ok guys, I got 5 people to reply to me but none turned into clients.

4 of them asked me about the price. They basically replied like this:

"Yes, this sounds interested but how much will it cost me?".

So, I tried replying with:

"The cost varies but it will be around $2000. Let's get on a call to talk more about it."

One of then told me this:

"$2000! Is there any difference between what you offer and Wix?"

Then I told this guy that he's free to try out Wix and see if he attains his desired results with it. If not, then he can ask me to build his website. He said he will get back to me (will never happen, I know).

The rest said they will get back to me, nothing else.

One of them asked for portfolio. I told her about that one project and how it helped the client in landing projects. They replied with:

"Let me check with my partner and get back to you"

Of course, she will never get back to me.

Can anyone help me diagnose this?
Never disclose price on text, that's why a strategy call is for to showcase them the return they will get for the price.

Keep doing outreach!

CryptoGuru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 3, 2021
Never disclose price on text, that's why a strategy call is for to showcase them the return they will get for the price.

Keep doing outreach!

What are you supposed to say then?

This happened to me before and I replied with something like:

"I can't reliably quote a price before I know more about what you're trying to achieve. Are you available for a quick call next week?"

Then I got ghosted. That's why I reply with my minimum price now.

Do you suggest I do something else?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check out the Quickmail.io podcast btw. I think the book was good too, although I whizzed through it without applying anything as I’m not an outbound guy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.