The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice to help my retail site convert traffic into sales!

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Hello, I recently started a new retail site called Home Page
I got over 30 hits my first day without any SEO, the question is, what can I do to increase my conversion ratio?
Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Grant

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
And also, how to I get my page to stop saying homepage like it is up there? It says Home Page instead of anything else when it shows up in Google. I apologize for my lack of web savvy. :)

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Hello, I recently started a new retail site called Home Page
I got over 30 hits my first day without any SEO, the question is, what can I do to increase my conversion ratio?
Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Grant

I would put call to action buttons on the home page under the pictures that say "Buy This Knife"

That should get you started...

iCashChex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 3, 2011
In the <head> section of your website, it will say <title>Homepage</title>. Change the word Homepage to whatever you want, and it will update automatically.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay guys, I added a few things!
I added a picture and intend to add an intro video on the homepage.
I also added a blog, informative articles section, and a video section. I also added a section describing the origin of our products.
What do you think?

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
I also coined a new phrase for the site, Sushi Lifestyle!
The exclamation point sets it off i think, what a relevant and exciting meme right? ;)

jbuckingham

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 18, 2011
CA
Take some time to review the knives. Put up videos of unboxing and discuss the benefits of the manufacturers materials and the properties of the knives. What is it best used for and maybe even put up a section on proper techniques for use.

Being honest, the site's a little bland. Color it up a bit.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
You need to rethink this entire site, to convert.

1. No call to action..

2. Make the pics into a videos on how to use..

3. Hire someone on elance to make your site look right. I bet for a few 100 bucks, someone could make it look great.

Good Luck..

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Well frankly, the first part of your whole sites home page need to be thrown out. (this is just my opinion)

Just your first line alone.

Too wordy, Too plain, your giving a phone number to ask questions for something they know nothing about yet. Your telling them you accept paypal.. who cares.. you need to get them to yes, and they will pay by any way necessary.

Your first line should read.. The best Sushi Knifes on the Planet.. (or something to that effect in huge bold letters)

You want to make sushi like the pro's you need the right tools:

Here are three quick videos that will turn you into a sushi god...

Click to play. Make a video about your best selling knife, but explain how to make a certain type of sushi.

Etc etc..

D

DeletedUser2

Sushi Knifes So Sharp They Can Slice Flavor From A Single Atom

If You Have Ever Wanted To Make Divine Sushi Like the Master, and Totally Impress Your Date, Then Then These Knifes Will Lay Bare Your Ultimate Desire
What Do the Worlds Best Sushi Knifes And Dating Have In Common? I will tell you in just a minute, but first Let me introduce you to the "sushi Lifestyle" Where a California roll, is when every one rolls their eyes when you order. If you are a burst on fire, Leave No Nori unturned passionate about sushi lover, then you may have just stumbled upon the best kept secret in making sushi outside of the Edo District.

Get a good book on writing copy. pay 100 buck over at elance. get a new wordpress theme that is a store based theme, get your ugly mug off the home page. no one cares. make this a curation site, run some ppc and facebook ads to target your keywords before you do an ounce of SEO.

remember when someone comes to the site, its about them, and what they want, not you.

are you looking for the sharpest sushi knifes in the universe? I may have just the thing for you... Sharp enough to split atoms.....

good luck

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, I just totally revamped the content on my site! I'm looking into a better template, but I'm short on funds at this point.
I changed every page on the site to be more "grabbing" and there is a strong call to action on every page!

What do you think?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why should I buy now if in the future I'll get a better guarantee?

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks bio, I'll change that ASAP!
anything else you could think of? I haven't even made one sale yet and I'm almost at 200 hits...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Not to burst your bubble, but my guess, you can get 10,000 hits or a million and you will not sell a single Knife.

You have a long, long, long.. ways to go. Your site just does not sell.

Sorry. If it was just so easy we would all be rich.

Take a few days off and think about it.

Not a bad idea, just your execution sucks bad..

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, I appreciate everything guys.
Over the next few days I will be transferring hosting of my domain from GoDaddy to Wordpress and I am going to get a nice store based template and download a shopping cart plugin called osCommerce.
Hopefully the cleaner, less sketchy site plus the strong calls to action all over the site will get some sales. I will update this thread.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
The problem with your site at this point is that is very hard to buy from you.

Home page has a few monster photo's that dwarf the buttons at the top. Once I had scrolled downward I was completely bewildered what this site was about. I hadn't even noticed the top row of buttons until I thought that this site must have a shop section somewhere. Then I started to look at found the buttons at the top.

One of your next actions should be to create vertical columns on your home page that contain combinations of small pictures with text. Let them click on a link that goes to a product page or to a shop page, but place the buttons somewhere to the right of the big pictures.

The big pictures can be made somewhat smaller.

Also, include a special temporary discount on your homepage with an action button.

Question. Where do you get the knives? Do you have them in stock?
(Don't worry about competition, I am in Europe)

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
They have to be special ordered from Japan generally. It takes awhile too.
Basically, I have recruited a Japanese speaker with sales skills and experience to push my products to restaurants and I have a guy with his own web design/marketing company that is willing to work with me on a default payment basis. We should have the new site up within the next 3 days and looking sharp!

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
So many things that can be improved.

First, I think your target audience is not experts, right? So, drop those wierd menu names. People will not understand, and it makes the whole navigation confusing and fustrating. Create more user friendly names. Invent your own categories...

"We Have The Best Sushi Knives On The Planet!"
What defines a great sushi knife? That's what should be there. Drop your features. Write the benefits. Go for the emotion feelings. Tell users what a great sushi they can make with the RIGHT knife.

"Be Sure To Like Sushi Knife Store On Facebook And Follow Us On Twitter!"

Why the hell should I "Like" your page? Drop that 'social media' B.S.

UNLESS you change that for this:

Find out delicious (and healthy) sushi recipes that will make your mouth water at our Facebook page. Click here.

Wish you luck

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Use smaller fonts, and add border to the site so it isn't stretched in all the window. Most sites are centered in the browser and have certain width.

To get some design inspiration go to Web Creme | Web design inspiration ;)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Let me save you a few years of headaches. Dont use OScommerce, keep your domain at godaddy (not sure what your talking about moving it to wordpress??) get some hosting at like hostgator or some equivalent, then get magneto or even go with a hosted solution like bigcommerce.com (you wouldnt need hosting, just point your domain at their servers). Start with templates and make them work with your sites purpose. That will save you most of the wasted time.

Sasha

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Oct 7, 2011
Denver
Sushi Knifes So Sharp They Can Slice Flavor From A Single Atom

If You Have Ever Wanted To Make Divine Sushi Like the Master, and Totally Impress Your Date, Then Then These Knifes Will Lay Bare Your Ultimate Desire
What Do the Worlds Best Sushi Knifes And Dating Have In Common? I will tell you in just a minute, but first Let me introduce you to the "sushi Lifestyle" Where a California roll, is when every one rolls their eyes when you order. If you are a burst on fire, Leave No Nori unturned passionate about sushi lover, then you may have just stumbled upon the best kept secret in making sushi outside of the Edo District.

Seriously, this is really good sales copy. Why hasn't this been incorporated into your site?

To be quite honest, your site makes my eyes hurt and the copy does not make me want to buy. The knives might be so sharp I'll never forget them, but your copy was so dull I had to recheck your home page to remember your pitch. It did not have me reaching for my purse.... the thought of slicing flavor from a single atom had me pulling out my credit card though. And you best believe that's a memorable line.

Please pay someone or sweet talk a friend with some experience in this area to help you out.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks bio, I'll change that ASAP!
anything else you could think of? I haven't even made one sale yet and I'm almost at 200 hits...

I think you have a good product. Take a look at my sigs and start a real store.

EDIT: I see that you went with Bigcommerce. Good job!

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Thx again Kenric! The BigCommerce software is awesome!
For some reason when I pointed my domain at their servers I lost my ability to log in. So I'm in ecommerce limbo till Monday. I already have a couple of other sub-specialty niches I'm going to start BigCommerce stores with after all the major legwork is done with the current store!

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Also, how many hits per day and month do your stores average? What is your conversion ratio?
Who did all the sharp looking improvements over the stock template? I definitely need something like that!
Your sites look great!

Thanks,
Grant

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thx again Kenric! The BigCommerce software is awesome!
For some reason when I pointed my domain at their servers I lost my ability to log in. So I'm in ecommerce limbo till Monday. I already have a couple of other sub-specialty niches I'm going to start BigCommerce stores with after all the major legwork is done with the current store!

They should have support over the weekends. Did you try logging in using the old URL? Industry conversion ratios are usually 1-2%. I modify the templates myself.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow, your templates are impressive!
I got login abilities back so I am working on the site all night. It should look better by Monday. I'm also in the process of writing an ebook that I will be crossing selling from another bigcommerce site I will build. I need to learn how to market and sell an ebook now. ;)

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay I have all the products loaded on the new site, any constructive criticism would be appreciated!
The ebook idea is scrapped for a Print on Demand system.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.