The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice to help my retail site convert traffic into sales!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Change the categories to better ones. You need to think of better category names, think on page SEO.

Instead of new products, turn those off, make them 0, and make 8 featured products show on the front page. This way you have control of what shows on the front page.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
They should have support over the weekends. Did you try logging in using the old URL? Industry conversion ratios are usually 1-2%. I modify the templates myself.

What do you mean specifically by that.

Orders are 1 - 2 percent of ?

Pageviews?
Visits?
Absolute unique Visitors?
New visitors?

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Just added a Blog and Google Analytics...Changed the Category names and tried to get rid of the new products showing on the front page by bringing them down to 0, but when I did there just a blank space on the front page, no featured products came up.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What do you mean specifically by that.

Orders are 1 - 2 percent of ?

Pageviews?
Visits?
Absolute unique Visitors?
New visitors?

Percentage of unique visitors

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just added a Blog and Google Analytics...Changed the Category names and tried to get rid of the new products showing on the front page by bringing them down to 0, but when I did there just a blank space on the front page, no featured products came up.

You have to go through your products and make some of them featured products, else there is nothing for the software to show.

Get rid of the exclamation marks. Looks really cheesy.

Also, add you store to your sig on this forum.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Hmm, so add a new page to the site and make it my homepage?
Then add some good sales copy like problem:agitation:solution or something?

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
exactly!
just put one good photo (showing the knife and sushi) and write (big and bold) what's your site is about. But not in a technical way, but what users can expect emotionally when they buy/use your product.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay guys, check the whole site out now! I have $150 in AdWords chugging away and I added a landing page with a strong call to action and great sales copy. Every relevant page including the WordPress Blog has sales copy integrated into it!

Thanks,
Grant

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It is starting to look much better. I think big commerce has plenty of templates you can change to and modify the CSS for. I would work on that ASAP. Before you do and re-do the home page a million times. doe some research around the net, especially on marketingexperiments.com and look at the big time e-commerce sites. There sites are well tested and can show you what works best. You will notice trends across all of them.

Also, step through EVERY config in bigcommerce, there are a lot of settings you will need to set up, there you will find the title box you are looking for to make the necessary changes.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
exactly!
just put one good photo (showing the knife and sushi) and write (big and bold) what's your site is about. But not in a technical way, but what users can expect emotionally when they buy/use your product.

Personally I don't like that method. Check out the other big ecommerce stores and see how many have a big photo and no products on the front page. I would go with a smaller photo, normal text and some products below the photo.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And change your TITLE TAG!!!

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
Personally I don't like that method. Check out the other big ecommerce stores and see how many have a big photo and no products on the front page. I would go with a smaller photo, normal text and some products below the photo.

This guy sells sushi knives... not even closer to other 'big ecommerce' stores.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This guy sells sushi knives... not even closer to other 'big ecommerce' stores.

Hi fellipe, can you show me some data which you have found that shows the sushi knives perform differently than large ecommerce stores or invalidates millions of dollars of testing they have done on test subjects to find trends in the best follow of online commerce? I would love to see the data on how sushi knives specifically are different.

I look forward to your reply.....

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, now there is text and products on the homepage...Just realized that my shipping zones were off the whole time and because of that over $40 in AdWords credit was blown and the site was not capable of completing a sale. lol
Now the site should be fully-operational and I still have $100 in AdWords credit left to get my first sale with.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
Hi fellipe, can you show me some data which you have found that shows the sushi knives perform differently than large ecommerce stores or invalidates millions of dollars of testing they have done on test subjects to find trends in the best follow of online commerce? I would love to see the data on how sushi knives specifically are different.

I look forward to your reply.....

I don't think we need any data to understand that sushi knives are specialty items, not everyday 'comodities' that you just need to find a buy button to have it shipped to your door.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I don't think we need any data to understand that sushi knives are specialty items, not everyday 'comodities' that you just need to find a buy button to have it shipped to your door.

Hmm so if you do not have a buy button and they cant get shipped to your door.... how do you purpose i buy one? If i am looking for them on the internet, that means i probably cant find them online. If i see something i like, you mean since it is a specialty item i need to look for a way to give a company my money rather then them presenting it to me in a convenient easy to see/use fashion?

I would love to see some of your stores that work with this technique.... this is AMAZING data to me. I have never seen it in action or work successfully.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Yes, because people who buy sushi knives are special people who don't like seeing websites that look like other stores. Most special people that I know who buy specialty items prefer really large fonts and a large image.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Okay, now there is text and products on the homepage...Just realized that my shipping zones were off the whole time and because of that over $40 in AdWords credit was blown and the site was not capable of completing a sale. lol
Now the site should be fully-operational and I still have $100 in AdWords credit left to get my first sale with.

You always need to test your site before launching.

Now you need to look at your analytics, what did the customers from the first $40 do? Did they add anything to cart?

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, I googled how to use analytics to see if the customers added anything to their carts or at what point they abandoned their carts. I couldn't find anything but some obscure articles saying I needed to add code to my shopping carts then enable tracking in analytics.
How can I do this with my BigCommerce template?
Thanks so much for your help Kenric, you've been an inspiration!

Grant

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I assume that you added analytics to your store. If not, get an analytics account and add the code to your store. It's under store settings > analytics. Once you do that you need to set up a goal and a goal funnel. Also be sure to set your checkout page so that it's not a letterbox but an actual screen. The goal urls should be cart.php, checkout.php and finishorder.php.

GTC1187

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 21, 2011
Austin, TX
Okay, I am now offering a free copy of my book with every knife purchase. This should be good.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I think online videos of you making sushi with the knifes would make a better selling point.

Have them watch one video, tell them if they buy a knife they can be included in a video series with exact steps on making the best sushi on the world.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
I think online videos of you making sushi with the knifes would make a better selling point.

Have them watch one video, tell them if they buy a knife they can be included in a video series with exact steps on making the best sushi on the world.

I like your approach Jack, make it more of an informational site. Give away as much free content as you can but strategically place the items that you use to make your sushi so that they can order easily. Sure, it's more work, but I think you will sell more this way rather than going head to head with amazon or other vendors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.