The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Noname1234

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2022
Context: the mother of my boyfriend (Ms. X) dreamed of having her own art gallery, which she founded. She’s a good curator but she was barely selling anything and the management of the gallery was terrible until I stepped in (I have a background in Communications and Marketing + experience working with global companies). I started taking care of the social media, took less than 2 months to gain more followers than she had gained in 2 years, and ended up making the gallery gain a lot of visibility. I introduced her to basic knowledge of Marketing + shared all the corporate knowledge I knew. Following my advice, she started educating herself more to a point that the gallery started getting a lot of attention.

Recently, a potential investor challenged us to come up with an extremely innovative idea that would make him want to invest in the galley, but he hated the ideas that Ms X proposed. Not wanting to lose this opportunity, I shared with Ms. X a business idea I had since University (linked to art + a social initiative), after hesitating a lot to share it as it was my own personal project (that I developed before I even meet my boyfriend). She loved it, so I presented it to the potential investor as “our” business so she could also benefit from it. He fell in love with my project, and wants to help us develop it.

Now here’s the thing. Ms. X absolutely wants to be CEO. Not only that: she also wants to have the majority of shares in order to never be voted out by a future board of directors. She has never been employed, has no corporate knowledge, lacks a lot of good judgment, multiply bad decisions, takes constant unnecessary risks, and the majority of the decisions taken that got us here today were secretly taken by my boyfriend and I without anyone outside of the family knowing. When we pointed this out, she told us that she’s the chief, and that she’s the only person who’s not disposable in this project because it was initially her gallery. She lacks a lot of humility, is ungrateful, and demonstrated greed countless times. Neither I or my boyfriend find her suitable for the position. It’s a project I initially wanted to develop with him independently, and only included his mom because I didn’t want her to feel like I’m stealing “her” investor.

I don’t necessarily dream of being the CEO but the idea of an unfit person directing a dream I had for years and potentially driving it into a wall terrifies me, especially that it was made to help many people. It’s true that we owe the encounter with that investor to him walking into her art gallery, but I imagined this project years ago and was basically called disposable from something that I designed. I almost feel tempted to step out - out of frustration - but Now Im stuck because either I continue working with her and try to find a way to convince her of the importance of a good company structure that will help us grow so she doesn’t ruin my business, either I back up and take the risk to let her patent it without me and potentially become a millionaire by stealing my project while I stay in poverty.

Not sure anyone can help me with this situation but i was hoping on finding anyone that knows about company structures and what configurations works best for me to be able to debate with her more efficiently about what’s best for the business. Or if anyone can reassure me telling me that she won’t be able to do EVERYTHING she wants because of shareholders that would be very well appreciated as well haha I would even rather have a stranger running the company as long as they do a good job. That’s all that matters to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My favorite thing to do is ask point blank "what do you want to do?"

The mom will say "I want x", then you say "awesome, have it. I'm gonna go do this totally separate thing, neither of which will be involved with the other. is that fair?"

"yeah sounds fair"

"okay cool. I just wanted your permission and wanted to be upfront."

*gets evidence of permission so she can't come back and sue you saying "blah blah they owe me money because they met that person through me so I should get damages apparently blah blah I'm a cunt"*

Then cut ties, press the "ignore" button, stay in your own lane and keep the toxic people out of your life, nothing good will come from it. Let her suck at what she does and keep away from her sinking ship.

Stay in your lane and only be around winners. Bad vibes, bad choices, bad luck, it is all contagious so stay away from it.

People that ruin stuff ruin everything. You can't even cut the grass of someone who's a train wreck. I get threatened with litigation because of how we cut grass sometimes! You cannot do ANYTHING with a crazy person. Don't split a business, don't offer services, don't agree on a partnership, nothing. It'll just end in a bunch of 'F*ck you's and a lawsuit.

Ideas don't mean shit. She didn't think of your idea and she won't think of any other good ones herself. Execution is what matters and if she sucks then she will fail, regardless of the idea. So just cut ties and follow your gut and do something great without her. She will likely not end up doing much.

tracerent

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 16, 2021
Let not worry about company structure at this time.

The decision is more around should you continue doing what you have been doing ie helping Mrs(x)

.if answer is yes
Tell her she continue to curates stuff and you will do social media and pr and split profits 50/50

If answer is no
You discuss with boyfriend and then both together your new plan, start a separate company/business and focus on that. If she wants social media service let her pay you for your services

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.