The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice on starting a video course.

ghart999

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 23, 2012
Hi all. Newbie here. I am a bored attorney looking for a new life. I have an idea for a video course I want to create and sell.

I am in need of some free or paid courses on how to begin. What software to use so I can combine live video with powerpoibnt type presentation intermixed within. OC only, no Mac. :icon_super: I also need a decent bang for buck video cam that can do decent quality 480P quality. Lastly I want to do decent audio quality (better than what comes from a vid cam) so I need some kind of shirt wearable mic that can be used on conjunction with the vid cam??? If that makes sense.

I was a software developer before law school and I am still very technically literate.

Any other advice/tips anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Gregg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Unless you want to branch out into the video production business, hiring this out will be a better use of your time. You can start making your videos right now instead of learning the ins and outs of video production.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Get 2 people in your target market who you don't know personally to pre-order for videos. Make the vids on a flipcam. Sell them. See if there is interest. Can always make the product better with super-professional production qualities later.

Alternatively can do it like most people and spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on product creation before finding out if the market research was on point.

At the very least get an interest list of signups of those who want to be notified when the product comes out. Anything at all that proves to yourself that you are barking up the right tree in terms of the product and that it truly fills a need that people want (look at it like a clinical experiment, removing the 'ego' from the equation), and you'll be ahead of the vast majority who create their first product.

ghart999

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 23, 2012
I have already evaluated the market and know it is strong. I plan to create a free video series followed by 2 levels of paid videos.

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I can't help with all those things, but I know that you have basically 2 good options for screen recording: Camtasia (PC) or Screenflow( Mac Only I think).

Are you planning to dripfeed the content or not? If not, one of the easiest ways to get a membership site up is to use Ning.com . Haven't used it myself (as I need to drip-feed), but have heard only good things from people who use it. Easy and quick to setup too.

As for video editing: I am using Screenflow to edit those screen recordings. Sometimes also iMovie. Very basic video editor, such as Windows movie maker or something is enough in majority of the cases.

Hope this helps.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hello Gregg,

We sell online courses with videos built in and we use Camtasia for screen recordings of power point presentations or work done on our interactive whiteboard. Simple, easy to use. I would look into it. If looking for editing software, Camtasia works good and Adobe has an entire suite of products for video, audio and graphics editing, I have Adobe creative suite. I like it, but there are so many products out there. You just have to find the one that works for you, or you may find that hiring a freelancer or VA to do the editing and so on is a much wiser use of your time. Hiring people to do that stuff is simply dirt cheap right now and the turn-around time is really fast, much faster(and much better!) than we can do it ourselves, which frees us up to do the important things. Best of luck to you :).

Sue

D

Deleted5250X

Hi all. Newbie here. I am a bored attorney looking for a new life. I have an idea for a video course I want to create and sell.

I am in need of some free or paid courses on how to begin. What software to use so I can combine live video with powerpoibnt type presentation intermixed within. OC only, no Mac. :icon_super: I also need a decent bang for buck video cam that can do decent quality 480P quality. Lastly I want to do decent audio quality (better than what comes from a vid cam) so I need some kind of shirt wearable mic that can be used on conjunction with the vid cam??? If that makes sense.

HinGreg I saw your post and thought I'd do a quick search on Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more which I previously joined as they have a lot of computer, production, and professional design courses. You can sign up with a 7 day free trial Ik a premium member and pay $37 per month so I get the exercises along with unlimited video course access.

This course called screen casting with Mac sounds like exactly what your looking for

Screencasting with the Mac - Tutorials & Training | lynda.com

Thats the mobile link. All the courses are informative and high quality as instructers are only paid royalties based on the number of views there videos recieve.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
When making videos, audio quality is more important than video quality. Bad video with great audio looks better than great video with bad audio. Any decent 3CCD chip video camera will be fine. A used Canon GL2 would be a great starter. Whatever you get, you want it to have an XLR audio input so you can attach an external mic. DON'T use a camera with a mini jack. That will give you junk audio. All pro audio uses XLR.

Hiring a pro will cost you more than a decent camera. Might as well buy something decent.

RaOne

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 31, 2012
I've been using Camtasia for the same purpose, it sucks, man. I mean I'm still using it coz it has all those features where you can add ppt looking slides to your presentation and stuff like that but yeah not all that impressive. I'm still wondering what software are all those marketing/business coaches using for their presentations, looks way more pro.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
When making videos, audio quality is more important than video quality. Bad video with great audio looks better than great video with bad audio. Any decent 3CCD chip video camera will be fine. A used Canon GL2 would be a great starter. Whatever you get, you want it to have an XLR audio input so you can attach an external mic. DON'T use a camera with a mini jack. That will give you junk audio. All pro audio uses XLR.

Hiring a pro will cost you more than a decent camera. Might as well buy something decent.

How about using a Canon 5D mark II or a d800? Would prefer not to have to buy another camera if either of these would work.

Also which mic would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.