The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Web Design Business Progress Thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I have been on this forum for many years now and have failed at multiple ventures. I never made a real progress thread so I'm creating this one to document my journey. I've got a good feeling about this venture. Not because of the venture but because of how much I've grown in recent years.

My life has settled down recently and I have been trying to figure out my next path to take. I saw @Fox's web design course and after reading through it decided that it is perfect for me at this moment of my life. I joined instantly. I haven't gone through it yet but the tremendous value is obvious.

Currently I work full time as a stockbroker. I also have zero coding skills and have never successfully ran a business.

Bold Scary Goal: Make 50k by year end and quit my job.

That may not seem bold or scary to you but to me that would be insane.

I'm going all in.

Let the work begin.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ryan Peterson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 13, 2020
Great Britain
I have been on this forum for many years now and have failed at multiple ventures. I never made a real progress thread so I'm creating this one to document my journey. I've got a good feeling about this venture. Not because of the venture but because of how much I've grown in recent years.

My life has settled down recently and I have been trying to figure out my next path to take. I saw @Fox's web design course and after reading through it decided that it is perfect for me at this moment of my life. I joined instantly. I haven't gone through it yet but the tremendous value is obvious.

Currently I work full time as a stockbroker. I also have zero coding skills and have never successfully ran a business.

I'm going all in.

Let the work begin.
I wish you good luck with your hard work.
You're gonna make it.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Good luck. Just remember when the knockbacks come (and they will), to keep pushing forward.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
One week in.

This has been very challenging. Not in the way I was expecting.

I was expecting the business side to be challenging. But the real challenge for me right now is my personal life. I have bad habits that aren't suitable for starting a business. Basically, I've been acting like a normal person.

I've been skating by at my job with 40 hours of work per week and doing whatever I wanted in my free time. Now that I have to put in hours of work in my free time things are getting rough.

I need to work on exercise, diet, sleep, general goofing off, hanging with friends, etc. I've always known I needed to take care of these things but starting this venture has magnified these problems.

My business is going to go nowhere if I don't fix my personal life.

This reminds me of the business saying. "You bet on the jockey not the horse." Right now my jockey is undisciplined and unhealthy.

I need more structure in my life. More discipline.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I need to work on exercise, diet, sleep, general goofing off, hanging with friends, etc. I've always known I needed to take care of these things but starting this venture has magnified these problems.
I can empathize, I’m going through something similar. I’ve got the exercise part down, but for me my job is really getting in the way since I have to work so much. I will say that having a more militant, blocked schedule like @Fox ’s is helping me to focus on what’s more important.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I know people like to do things online these days but seriously, buy yourself a page to a day diary.

This sort of thing with blank pages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RMBB6RB/

Forget anything with things written in them.

Everyone I know who uses one slowly eliminates waste unless it is factored in .

CEOs, Military Generals, Politicians, HM The Queen, turn up in the morning and then their secretary simply tells them what is in the diary for that day.

Meeting, Meeting, Tennis, Meeting, Lunch with xyz at abc, Meeting, Meeting, Cocktails and Theatre

that sort of thing.

Nothing wrong with goofing off with friends but you will find you allocate it in your diary. ie It is purposeful and timed.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you do as I say your diary will start moving from unfilled spaces to a full diary of intent with in about 1 or 2 months of habitual use.

The great thing is you can pick up your old diaries and think 'oh yes I remember that.

Give it a go.

Dan

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
It's been 2 and a half months since I've made this thread. And I have gotten nowhere.

The first part of this journey was me trying to discipline myself to do the work. Then for some reason I started applying for a couple jobs and got a couple interviews to 2 of them. Both of these jobs would be a substantial pay jump and I was excited.

The slowlane sucks you in..

I completely stopped doing anything related to coding or my business and put 100% focus on landing a better job. I spent tons of time interview prepping and thinking of ways I could prove the value I would add to the company.

The first interview was for a promotion at my current company. I think I did well but didn't get passed the initial HR interview.

Oh well no big deal I still had the second interview for the different smaller company to work with. That interview went perfectly. They gave me a second interview and that also went perfectly. Then they gave me a third interview which again went perfectly and I met one of the owners and this is looking like a done deal.

I am talking to one of the people that work there and they seemed very successful and had an MBA. So then I start looking into MBA programs because I want to be successful too. (Which my parents and friends were freaking out because they know how much I've hated/ridiculed college.)

So now I'm looking into MBA Programs, how much it will cost and how long it will take and BOOM! The company gives me a job offer. If you don't know, companies don't just offer you a salary they offer you a "package" so they say we will offer you this salary plus a 401k match plus health insurance for a total value of X. So I then countered the offer where all I basically said was, "I'm not going to do a 401k so since you are offering X amount in the full package deal can you just put the 401k match amount into my salary?" She says, "Oh that's interesting. I'll talk to the owners and get back with you tomorrow."

So I'm excited. I'm planning how I can dominate this job and then do the MBA on the side and be done in 1.5 years and then get another pay bump after that and it is all coming to fruition. Then she calls the next day and instead of a counter offer she says they want me to do a 4th interview with one of the owners.

I was pissed. Who makes you do an interview after already offering you the job? This process has already gone on long enough and I'm getting frustrated.

Well the 4th interview was this morning and basically was told the original offer is still on the table as long as now I become a Financial Advisor and write a list of family and friends who I could sell and add them to my portfolio.

I'm pissed. That wasn't the original job description and this small companies left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. I'm not telling you all the details but it seems like both owners of this company are not on the same page.

I'm done. I can't believe I got sucked into this slowlane bullshit. No wonder people stay there their whole lives. I've read about it and tried to avoid it and I still get sucked in.

False promises. All talk. Nobody actually cares about you. But they want you to sell your soul and all your family and friends too.

I'm pissed.

No more striving for corporate jobs. I'm not quitting mine yet but I'm no longer wasting time striving for promotions. No wasting time and money with an MBA which doesn't actually teach you much and is mainly to get a good corporate job. I need to spend my time working on my business.

I've been screwed over by so many companies and I'm only 25! I don't know why I keep thinking I could just find a good company that will do me right.

I'm done.

Time to get going.

Last edited:

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
One thing I might like to add about discipline is that some people are planners and some people just wing it and there is no point in trying to become a planner if that is not you naturally, and no point winging it if you are a planner. Just know your goal and make and create the time and stick to it.

Don't let other people try to suck your time away, they will especially when they see that you are not "working", even though you are trying to build and work on skills.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Today I quit my job. I'm going all in. I'll either put in the work to make it or I won't. I'm excited and scared. Time to get to work.
Do you plan to work from home or will you have an office/workspace at another location?

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Do you plan to work from home or will you have an office/workspace at another location?
I will be working from home. I don't see any need to have an office until I make it big.

ansh1234

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 25, 2020

I'm going all in.

Let the work begin.
That figure is possible dude. Just go get it. I hope you’ve learned many things off your past. Best of luch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.