The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My road to create the new ISP America needs

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser84644

This will be my first execution thread. No more dicking around, no more idea contemplating, no more bullshit. It is time I pick my self up by the bootstrap and get rich.

Posts labeled (process) will be a documentation of the steps I take to get there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser84644

(process documentation) 1:

Scheduled an appointment with a small business development center to get help with planning out my business. Currently studying for the CompTIA ITF+ and CompTIA A+ tests. Plan to have the former completed by August, and the latter by November. Currently having $5,000 of capital, living under parent's house at 19 years old. After acquiring both certifications, plan is to get an IT help desk job. Plan to move out by January 2022. Goal is to have $15,000 of capital by the time I move out. Next goal is to acquire the CompTIA Network+ and Security+ certifications and then work in networking for 2-3 years as reconnaissance to get a better understanding of how networking works. Once reconnaissance is completed, revisit the help of the small business development center and proceed to initiate the process of creating the company.

D

DeletedUser84644

(process documentation 2): Cancelled small business development center appointment after discovering that it was virtual only. Due to how impractical that is for me personally, I've decided to revisit it another time when either (a) I move to a location that has a sbdc close by that is in person or (b) when the pandemic becomes completely over where I can finally access it in person.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
What kind of ISP does America need? Last I heard, unlimited internet in the US has been getting pretty cheap and Starlink is around the corner. I'm not discouraging you, I'm just curious what your pain points are with the current providers.

In Canada we pretty much only have 3 providers to speak of (and they all rip us off), so a game-changing ISP would be pretty sweet up here.

D

DeletedUser84644

What kind of ISP does America need? Last I heard, unlimited internet in the US has been getting pretty cheap and Starlink is around the corner. I'm not discouraging you, I'm just curious what your pain points are with the current providers.

In Canada we pretty much only have 3 providers to speak of (and they all rip us off), so a game-changing ISP would be pretty sweet up here.
I don't feel comfortable sharing that at this time because the odds are that someone in this forum is going to try to steal my idea and try to beat me to it. I don't want to lose my competitive advantage before I have even started. I'll be more frustrated by the idea being stolen from me sharing it then from me failing at achieving it.

mr4ffe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Nov 3, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't feel comfortable sharing that at this time because the odds are that someone in this forum is going to try to steal my idea and try to beat me to it. I don't want to lose my competitive advantage before I have even started. I'll be more frustrated by the idea being stolen from me sharing it then from me failing at achieving it.
Execution matters more than ideas. Anyway, does your idea fulfill the CENTS commandments?

D

DeletedUser84644

After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that it's not feasible for a first time entrepreneur to start an ISP. The startup costs are very high, and the amount of time it would take to actually build it up to a meaningful size would take 20 years or more. It's very unlikely that I can manage to secure the capital needed to build out the infrastructure anyway. It would be impossible to do it without funding, and given that I wanted to be an ISP that only focuses on delivery fiber optic internet, it's just not practical. Now I understand why there are only so few ISP startups.

So the lesson to take from all of this is: Actually confirm that the business venture makes economical sense to do before committing to the idea. Otherwise it's action faking.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that it's not feasible for a first time entrepreneur to start an ISP. The startup costs are very high, and the amount of time it would take to actually build it up to a meaningful size would take 20 years or more. It's very unlikely that I can manage to secure the capital needed to build out the infrastructure anyway. It would be impossible to do it without funding, and given that I wanted to be an ISP that only focuses on delivery fiber optic internet, it's just not practical. Now I understand why there are only so few ISP startups.

So the lesson to take from all of this is: Actually confirm that the business venture makes economical sense to do before committing to the idea. Otherwise it's action faking.

You didn't go into much detail into why you wanted to start the ISP, but you probably got an idea from a pain point you experienced. Are there adjacent services you could provide to improve internet service for the country rather than starting an ISP?

Maybe you don't need to be a national ISP. Perhaps there are underserved areas that normal ISPs ignore but if you could organize and persuade the residents to put money down towards better infrastructure you could get something going.

E.g. My parents had 15GB/mo of mobile data for years because it was either that or dialup. We lived only 20 minutes from a major population center that had broadband. Then one year a small ISP went around and convinced us and our neighbors to sign a contract to lay fibre. By the end of the summer, we had unlimited 100Mbps for cheaper than what we were getting the mobile data for (although an upfront payment was required).

D

DeletedUser84644

You didn't go into much detail into why you wanted to start the ISP, but you probably got an idea from a pain point you experienced. Are there adjacent services you could provide to improve internet service for the country rather than starting an ISP?

Maybe you don't need to be a national ISP. Perhaps there are underserved areas that normal ISPs ignore but if you could organize and persuade the residents to put money down towards better infrastructure you could get something going.

E.g. My parents had 15GB/mo of mobile data for years because it was either that or dialup. We lived only 20 minutes from a major population center that had broadband. Then one year a small ISP went around and convinced us and our neighbors to sign a contract to lay fibre. By the end of the summer, we had unlimited 100Mbps for cheaper than what we were getting the mobile data for (although an upfront payment was required).
I initially got the idea when I heard about the digital divide the other day. I was like wait a minute, "This is a need I could fulfill". And then I also learned about the future of fiber along with the importance of having net neutrality, and having equal upload and download speed. I was imagining creating a multi billion dollar company. That was until... reality hit me with the economics. Internet is not as equally accessible everywhere simply because it's not as profitable to do so in areas that don't have as much people (rurual areas). Fiber doesn't exist everywhere simply because it's expensive to setup and manage, which will make most people not want to pay for it because of price competition. Even if all of those variables worked in my favor perfectly, the problem with this is it takes a lot of time to actually buuld out the infrastructure in order to be able to sell to people in the first place. That's why it's so important to ensure that there is demand for it before you waste your and money into the venture. It'll take me decades to build a company like this. While I could do what you're suggesting, that would be a side hustle for me. I'm not sure if I could actually balance that along side with another business venture. But anyway the point is is that it's scale factor is pretty shit. Not that I want to skip on process but that I don't want to put time into a venture that will take decades to pull off. I want to pick a venture that has a high scale factor so that I can achieve the Fastlane as fast as possible

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.