The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My procrastination habits make me miserable

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
First let's shatter an illusion:

There isn't a single person on this forum who works on their goals or dreams 24/7.

I often work 100+ hour weeks and even *I* don't focus all the time. Hell, I just finished Dracula on Netflix last night.

There's nothing wrong with leisure.

If you're struggling, there's one MAJOR thing you can do which is change your environment.

Do you have a job? When you work specific hours, you are forced to do your job while you're there. It's a different mentality. If that means you have to manufacture it and go to a co-working space or something like that for set hours -- then do it.

Life is short, yes... but life is also long. You don't have to do it overnight -- but if you just make measurable progress every day I think you'll be happy.

One of my favorite books on this subject is the 4 Hour Work Week. It talks specifically about how to increase per-hour-work output not just working for work's sake.
Agreed on 4-hour workweek. That book has a lot of great actionable advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hi!
Sorry for the edgy teen title.
I have been struggling with procrastination for a long time. I have wanted to create a business since 2016 but I was never able to do it. I always said “I ll do it tomorrow”. Four years in total.
I ve been struggling with video games addiction. But when I was uninstalling them, I would procrastinate in Youtube. Then at some point I would start do something very small, or nothing at all (just brainstorming for my business) then proceed to reinstall my games, then uninstalling them afterwards, then procrastinate on Youtube/Social Medias again. The only “habit” I ve succesfuly been able to put into my life is reading. I read only when I get fed up on games and youtube, but even then, I would only read like 20 min, then give up on it.

I have been severely neglecting school too. I don’t see the shine of passing grades anymore.
I just day dream about me becoming a billionaire who would save the world, and then when I get home, I would either play games/procrastinate on Youtube. Tried every single thing to stop it, but no success. Do I really want to become a successful entrepreneur, or do I like dreaming about it?

If anyone has come through this, I really need some help. I’m failing on every aspect in my life rn. I try to keep an optimistic outlook upon my life, but it gets harder.

Kind regards
@Aurelius
You've got a deep habit loop happening here.
The first step in beating this is to recognize what's going on.

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Get this book. Read it. Work through the action steps. From what I can tell, this book is your answer.

Last edited:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I was in the same boat. I came up with an unconventional solution for myself.

If nothing else, it might help to spark your own creative ideas of how you can approach this.
I love that post, one of the first things I read on the forum. One of the more creative, honest, and instructive posts I've seen here.

Hank The Tank

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 27, 2020
Hi!
Sorry for the edgy teen title.
I have been struggling with procrastination for a long time. I have wanted to create a business since 2016 but I was never able to do it. I always said “I ll do it tomorrow”. Four years in total.
I ve been struggling with video games addiction. But when I was uninstalling them, I would procrastinate in Youtube. Then at some point I would start do something very small, or nothing at all (just brainstorming for my business) then proceed to reinstall my games, then uninstalling them afterwards, then procrastinate on Youtube/Social Medias again. The only “habit” I ve succesfuly been able to put into my life is reading. I read only when I get fed up on games and youtube, but even then, I would only read like 20 min, then give up on it.

I have been severely neglecting school too. I don’t see the shine of passing grades anymore.
I just day dream about me becoming a billionaire who would save the world, and then when I get home, I would either play games/procrastinate on Youtube. Tried every single thing to stop it, but no success. Do I really want to become a successful entrepreneur, or do I like dreaming about it?

If anyone has come through this, I really need some help. I’m failing on every aspect in my life rn. I try to keep an optimistic outlook upon my life, but it gets harder.

Kind regards
I struggled with the same situation. I played video games and watch movies, shows and Youtube. I kept saying I will get started next week. Three years later no progress. Part of my problem is I only saw the work that was necessary and not the rewards. I also work full time with a stressful job. When I am home I want my free time. However I found my self playing games that I did not even like or just searching for boring shows.

The Cure: As Jim Rohn and Tony Robbins say "take massive action". I put in my notice at work and said I will leave in 5 months. It was hard at first because the job was my comfort zone but the fear did not last. It drives me to find a better plan from my life. Now I have to make a certain about of money in 5 months.
I am putting aside distractions. Each day that I don't cave into video games builds my confidence. I review my progress on my company and as long as I am moving it forward I have tremendous joy.
Also putting in my notice at my job has given me so much freedom. No more stress or regret. I am on my way.
If you have not already, read Physcho- Cybernetics. You either feed your success mechanism or your failure mechanism. Take control of your mind, believe in yourself.
As The Fastlane Millionaire stated "trust the process". Use youtube as a learning tool. Watch Earl Nightengal, Jim Rohn, Tony Robbins, Wayne Dyer, and Tom Bilyeu.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.