The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Own Automotive YouTube Channel!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I've been hanging out here for almost a year. During that time, I've contributed a few threads, and learned a ton from some of the big names here. MJ's book changed everything for me, I'm now jobless and have had some minor passive income success, and am now excited to really swing for the fence with something. If you don't know me, some you might recognize these threads:

I bought a Supercar and Got a Lot of Slowlane Lessons

The Final Solution To All "I Have Some Money What Should I Do?" Threads

An Amazing Thing Happened To My INCOME When I Traded My Rusty Honda For A Viper

So I've tried to add value to this community via social commentary, but this will be my first business related thread on the outside.

I've decided to create an automotive YouTube channel, sort of in the vain of something like ChrisHarrisOnCars or MightyCarMods or MotorTrendWOT. I have absolutely no experience in photography or video production, web design or any kind of internet marketing. I've been figuring things out as I go. We've been shooting footage for about six months, had numerous mishaps I related on the inside, spent thousands of dollars, made mistakes, got messy, but after grossly over-estimating how easy things would be, we finally have enough stuff to go into post-production. I put together a teaser last weekend and set a hard start date that I'm all set for, but I wanted to wait and show it here first before I tweet it and share it on social media since you've been so instrumental in this whole thing.

So far as I know, I'm the first fastlaner here to try and create a channel as a fastlane plan. I know @DennisDuty has CastleForge and several other Fastlaners have YT channels (MJ, Pejman, etc.), but that seems to be more of a media production/marketing/engineering/Vloging focused thing to sell books or services or ideas, not an enterprise designed to begin and end with YT itself. As such, I feel an analysis of the plan might be helpful to others. Let's look at it using MJ's CENTS criteria:

Need: Automotive related channels receive millions of unique viewers every month. The market is actually fairly saturated with them. So why would anyone want another one, especially shot by armatures? My channel has a number of unique features (discussed below) that do meet a need no other channel is currently filling.

Entry: Shooting car videos of good quality requires a minimum of probably $2,500-5,000 worth of equipment and software, as well as two cars and two people willing to work long hours. Adsense payouts are woefully small, depending on the adblock saturation of your audience. As such, the barrier to entry is much higher than a video game review, vlogging, music, etc. channel.

Control: YouTube ultimately is the final arbiter of adsense revenues, so inasmuch as you depend on them, your control is limited. YT is like Amazon for videos, and their capricious behavior can be a problem. Secondary revenue streams will have to be sought. Also, the final play in this game is one that eliminates YT's exclusive control completely. More on that in the future. As it stands right now, this is the commandment which this idea comes the closest to defying.

Scale: Videos generate passive revenue forever and libraries of videos build on each-other, especially with links to older videos promoted in newer ones. Although there are not many options to scale this aspect of the business, the fact that the product is once-and-done-forever builds some scalability over time.

Time: The videos take a few dozen to a hundred hours to make, and last years. This commandment is the one which is most deftly met by a YT channel.

So, onto the actual project. The Channel is called TitleMine and has at least four features that should make us stand out among other channels:

1. We own every car on the channel. As such, reporting includes a lot of cost to operate, DIY, and situational reporting that you don't regularly get from more traditional review-and-return journalism.

2. Every car on the channel is involved in a flip that is at least cost-neutral, so we don't ultimately pay for any of them. Driving high-end cars for free (and not involving tax write-offs from large successful businesses or other means of subsidizing the price) is something a lot of people are interested in, and so we plan to make a number of videos discussing this topic.

3. We have a plan to gain sponsors that 90+% of automotive channels can't follow. This is the "need" mentioned above.

4. My wife is heavily involved with the project, so we have one presenter who is a woman. YT channels fronted by women vastly outperform those fronted by men on a per-capita basis.

Anyway, here is the teaser we made with an appropriately slidewalk-interest-raising title. Again, it hasn't been released anywhere else yet:

What I'd love from the FF community is any comments on the trailer. Likes and subscriptions to the channel would also be super helpful. I intend to try and secure my first channel sponsor next week, and will do it on the strength of a compelling content pitch, but having subscriptions to back that up won't hurt. As many as we can get would be awesome.

Over the last eight months, we released several videos to test the strength of different social advertising techniques. This one first, the success of which caught us by surprise (it was supposed to be a quick fun thing that would eventually be taken down after a few days of measuring its success):

And this one later, which more directly related to the channel, released using different aspects of social media for promotion:

Thus far, we have zero paid traffic. Once we get 2-3 episodes up, we are definitely going to start advertising to get views, @JasonR completely sold me on the idea.

Also, boats have been burned, so I'm on this full time and going to be reporting in pretty regularly. Should be exciting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

CreateLiving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 27, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thee videos are very well done. You are a talented individual! Well, I guess that goes without saying for any member of the Fastlane.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
That actually means a lot to me. I'm still playing around with more powerful video editors; I look at some of the stuff DennisDuty creates in a short time frame and it's really embarrassing. I'm basically using a half-decent eye for the shot and good equiptment to muscle through my severe deficiencies in post-production. I'm taking some online classes in it now.

I'd be using it to get people off YouTube and into my own site where you can build a list, sell products, and have control.

Check out my INSIDERS's progress thread, "From 0-50,000 views..." (which may be renamed soon with the name of the channel) for more info on how I'm doing this. You're 105% right.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Subbed. Your teaser has me interested.

In addition to Youtube advertising I think you'd also do great running some ads directly on mobile car-related apps like CSR Racing. Should get you lots of targeted eyeballs.

Looking forward to your progress man.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
In addition to Youtube advertising I think you'd also do great running some ads directly on mobile car-related apps like CSR Racing. Should get you lots of targeted eyeballs.

Rep transferred. GOLD advice. Really appreciate the subs too, that'll be super helpful when I talk to sponsors.

Last edited:

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
I'm still playing around with more powerful video editors; I look at some of the stuff DennisDuty creates in a short time frame and it's really embarrassing. I'm basically using a half-decent eye for the shot and good equiptment to muscle through my severe deficiencies in post-production. I'm taking some online classes in it now.

This resource has been a big help for me in regards to video/graphics editing. Hopefully it can be for you as well. Check out VideoHive.net.

I know nothing about editing videos, but with some of these templates I can put together something that looks pretty nice. Here's an example of an intro template that I randomly picked:

http://videohive.net/item/outcome-glitch-slideshow/7494021

Rep transferred. GOLD advice.

Thanks man, means a lot. Glad to help. :)

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
I love Chris Harris' videos but he's way too dry for me. Almost like watching an episode of Car&Driver. Car enthusiasts want fun, which is why Top Gear is such a runaway success.
Looking forward to seeing more from you!

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
PM me if you have any questions...I have a YouTube channel with 17k subs and average 125k views a month.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Car enthusiasts want fun, which is why Top Gear is such a runaway success.

I think lots of people discount the strength of TG, which isn't the comedy so much as the really, really great writing. If you've ever read any of Clarkson's pieces in the paper, he's an astonishingly good writer, and that really shows, it helped to create many of the TG "Stereotypes" and has fundamentally altered a generations perceptions of different kinds of cars.

I have a YouTube channel with 17k subs and average 125k views a month.

Sent you a PM. My questions were pretty open-ended, feel free to modify or not share stuff. Also, if there's anything I can do for you, let me know.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
Since positive comments won't be too beneficial for you at this point in time, I'll critique your project instead (but great job nonetheless):
  • camera is shaky in the teaser. You should consider purchasing a stabilizer if you don't have one already.
  • some awkward angles when filming and way too fast camera movement (especially in the 3rd video). Also, did you use a drone? I think I saw it in the car's reflection at one point in the video.
  • if your primary source of profit will be ads, you'll need hundreds of millions of views to make a nice profit. I suggest you also seek other ways to monetize your channel besides ads (especially since you're putting so much time in each video).
  • name is confusing for me (TitleMine). Are you referring to "mine" as in a gold mine? When I first read it I was thinking it meant "My Title" but maybe that's just me. A logo with a mine on wheels or something like that might help :D
I wish you best of luck!

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I've been doing video editing and content creation for six years now and I can definitely lend a hand or two if you ever need some video editing advice, software recommendations, audio mastering help, file types to render, etc. The eye for the shot is something that may get better through time, and since Emanuel mentioned it above, camera shake can be stabilized post production using a few different programs or plugins.

As for YouTube monetization, it will take a very long time. I've shared this before on another thread, but when it comes to YouTube, quality and quantity need to be married in order for your channel to be successful. Meaning, dish out a ton of quality content and always look for ways to improve it. Also,consistency, above all else can make or break your chances in creating a strong follower base. For what I do, consistency has helped me keep the followers I've made, and helped me make new ones. If you can somehow find a way to get your viewers to interact with you, utilize it and watch your view count grow.

Best of luck with your YouTube channel! Let me know if you need any help at all!

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
've been doing video editing and content creation for six years now and I can definitely lend a hand or two if you ever need some video editing advice, software recommendations, audio mastering help, file types to render, etc. The eye for the shot is something that may get better through time, and since Emanuel mentioned it above, camera shake can be stabilized post production using a few different programs or plugins.
[*]camera is shaky in the teaser. You should consider purchasing a stabilizer if you don't have one already.
[*]some awkward angles when filming and way too fast camera movement (especially in the 3rd video). Also, did you use a drone? I think I saw it in the car's reflection at one point in the video.
[*]if your primary source of profit will be ads, you'll need hundreds of millions of views to make a nice profit. I suggest you also seek other ways to monetize your channel besides ads (especially since you're putting so much time in each video).
[*]name is confusing for me (TitleMine). Are you referring to "mine" as in a gold mine? When I first read it I was thinking it meant "My Title" but maybe that's just me. A logo with a mine on wheels or something like that might help

Thanks for your input! I should have pointed out that the exhaust clip was filmed when I was first starting this whole thing. I have taken most of your camera techniques to heart concerning the fast camera sweeps, reflections, etc. The exhaust video was shot before I got my DSLR camera, tripod, and jib. The teaser is more recent work. I do have a stabilizer; the clip in the cabin of the V12 Vantage and when I was driving the Gallardo are not as smooth because it was taken with a GoPro head mount rather than with the jib crane. I had a heck of a time filming at Interstate because it has wooden gym floors; the dollies would bump no matter what I did. I needed one with like monster truck tires on it. As for monitization, I'm not relying on adsense, for income from these at all. I might pick up beer money from adsense every week, but I have another venue that's going to keep the lights on. I'll keep you posted.

I've been doing video editing and content creation for six years now and I can definitely lend a hand or two if you ever need some video editing advice, software recommendations, audio mastering help, file types to render, etc. The eye for the shot is something that may get better through time, and since Emanuel mentioned it above, camera shake can be stabilized post production using a few different programs or plugins.

Thanks a ton!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
if your primary source of profit will be ads, you'll need hundreds of millions of views to make a nice profit. I suggest you also seek other ways to monetize your channel besides ads (especially since you're putting so much time in each video).
This is untrue.

"YT" in-video ads will make you no money.
But finding sponsors for integrated in-video content can generate a real nice bundle of $ if you've got targeted traffic like this channel will generate.

I've been keeping this to myself until now... but it's time to drop some knowledge bombs about my findings regarding CONTENT driven video channels.

I was putting together a channel targeted towards drinkers (21+) and found that it's not out-of-the-question to obtain $20CPM for pre/postroll ads on videos if you contact the sponsor directly.

You can obtain more than this with tightly integrated product placement: (having characters wearing Captain Morgan shirts or talk about sponsors in the content.)

A typical nonfiction content driven youtube channel (with REAL subs who actually enjoy your content) will reliably get views for all new videos based on the # of subscribers they have.

Within the first month of releasing a new video, your views should look like this:
Views 1.3xSubscribers within the first month.

This means if you have 10K subs, and you release a new video, within the first month that video should get 13K views. It could very well get MANY more that first month depending on how it's shared or promoted, but you don't negotiate monthly sponsorship deals based on what MIGHT happen. Sponsors feel much better negotiating based on guaranteed minnimum #s.

It's a big race to 1m subscribers. With 1m subscribers you'll be getting 1,300,000 views on each new video within the first month, which means you can negotiate $26K/video sponsorship deals with different companies.

If you're doing what I planned on doing for the drinking channel, with new videos WEEKLY, you'd be making 26K/WEEK, well over a million a year if you could keep it up. This doesn't take into account other revenue sources, cross promotions, affiliate deals, or releasing your own products. This is just for the sponsorship spots.

You CAN make a ton of cash with "just ads"... you have to go about it the right way though.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I might pick up beer money from atdsense every week

If I were you, I'd forgo the beer and disable adsense entirely.
People HATE sharing videos with ad prerolls. Blogs hate embedding and writing about them... and YT is WAY more uptight about copyright infringement, even if you don't have any. (Competitors flagging you to get you shut down, for instance.)

Early on, you will be relying on consistency and shares to bring in the new traffic, so it's best to eliminate them entirely.

Last edited:

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
But finding sponsors for integrated in-video content can generate a real nice bundle of $ if you've got targeted traffic like this channel will generate.

This is my game plan. I've also got a different kind of sponsorship model that will hopefully sweeten the pot for sponsors. We might want to compare notes.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Over the last eight months, we released several videos to test the strength of different social advertising techniques. This one first, the success of which caught us by surprise (it was supposed to be a quick fun thing that would eventually be taken down after a few days of measuring its success):

If you promote this among the ASMR crowd, they'll go CRAZY for it.

IF you didn't know:
There's a segment of the population that gets a 'brain tingle' from tactile sensations and noises. Snow crunching, whispers, touching paper, etc. People have tapped into this and created videos simulating these things... and ASMR peeps veg out on ASMR playlists.

Check out this HOUR long video of a POV getting a haircut that got over 2m views:

Find somebody to leak your car snow video to the ASMR reddit, and a few ASMR tumblrs and see what happens.

If you have an opportunity to make more like this and just throw them playlist... they will generate views.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Oh man, GOLD again. This is such a neat angle for what was basically a fun test video!

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Ok, I'm nearing the release of my first video, so I wanted to share what's been going on recently.

1. I leaked the snow video on some ASMR sites. It's been good for about 500 views for that video overall, not incredible but not bad either.

2. Decided the game plan to get sponsors is going to be to release a review video first that will have broader appeal, then once the reach of the channel is confirmed, swing back and pick up sponsors for subsequent videos.

3. Doing repairs to make more videos. I discussed the reason for doing this and how it ties into sponsorships more on the inside.
nmrWRY8.jpg

5. Preparing to saturate my Twitter, tumblr, etc. followers with the videos. My followings on these platforms are not large, but I have reasonable engagement (4-10) per tweet.

6. I need to see what happens with subscriptions once the first solid piece of content is out. I'm at 40 right now, which is very low, all things considered, especially compared to the view count for the channel, which is approaching 100,000 views.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Do you have a custom made thumbnail made for the YouTube release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
HELL YEAH! Alright, things are really taking shape. I got off the phone with a sponsor (LPT-Even if you have a direct email to a person, when you're dealing, use the email and get their phone number) and they're now watching the launch with great interest. That's great news, because my goal with the sponsors is not to collect a continuous payment throughout the series, but a small one-time payment from each sponsor per video.

Bigger news though-I'm deep into negotiation for my next supercar, which I could have as soon as this weekend. This is great because it will open the door to the second season of the "show" with a new car, and show proof of concept, since the other cars I flipped I got rid of before I got the idea to document what was happening. I have this incredible frisson of energy right now. 8 months, the payoff is so close I can taste it.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
HELL YEAH! Alright, things are really taking shape. I got off the phone with a sponsor (LPT-Even if you have a direct email to a person, when you're dealing, use the email and get their phone number) and they're now watching the launch with great interest. That's great news, because my goal with the sponsors is not to collect a continuous payment throughout the series, but a small one-time payment from each sponsor per video.

Bigger news though-I'm deep into negotiation for my next supercar, which I could have as soon as this weekend. This is great because it will open the door to the second season of the "show" with a new car, and show proof of concept, since the other cars I flipped I got rid of before I got the idea to document what was happening. I have this incredible frisson of energy right now. 8 months, the payoff is so close I can taste it.
How did you go about finding a potential sponsor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Sorry for being deliberately vague, but even with no profits yet, visions of @JasonR are going through my head. Basically, I sat down with some ideas of what I wanted to do, and with each one tried to think, "for this idea, who could it make the most money with the least financial risk and aggravation on their part?

That was really it. It's just getting someone with power over their company on the phone and saying, "here's how my company is going to reliably make you X money with this video, will you pay me Y to put it in?"

I'm hesitant to give advice until I get paid. If and when I do, I'll PM you and let you know how it went down with specifics. I'm keeping track of fine-tune adjustments too, things like, in the example above, how is Y (my payment) expressed as a function of x (sponsor profit). So is there a certain number, like Y=X/20, where, when you exceed it, you are less likely to get ascent from the sponsor?

Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I love this thread, and I am subscribed to your channel and look forward to seeing your progress and watching your videos. Once you've purchased the new car will you be telling us what it is/posting pics on this thread...I'm curious as to what type of car it is :D

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Hey everyone I'm back. I offered a longer explanation on the inside for what's going on, but to catch outsider's up. Basically, I really and truly goofed on this, I missed the deadline, and it was entirely my fault. Problems cropped up, and rather than powering through, I focused on what was working, and safe, and comfortable, and retreated back into my very small comfort zone. The sponsor I had talked to made a very unreasonable request about exclusivity, which was impossible because we're going to move through many brands, not just one, and they only supply parts for that one small brand=Craploads of lost cash. Tried to renegotiate to exclusivity just for parts he sells, he wasn't having it for whatever reason. At the same time, I got distracted by AV woes that slowed things down, and ultimately just got crushed by desolation that it wasn't working out, rather than just sacking up and kicking a$$ to get through. I guess the only saving grace is that just about 200 people here saw the "November 15th launch teaser," AKA me with egg on my face, so I don't think the brand is ruined.

The good news is that the other thing that distracted me was the success of my car flipping business and consulting. I've sold about $60,000 (gross) worth of cars since November-ish, and the profits from these things mean I'm making more than I used to at my job (!) doing far, far less work. It's also amazing to me how I've grown and developed as a person. I used to have such a terrible phobia of phone calls, if I had one to do I would do ANYTHING to get out of it. If it was on my desk 8AM monday, It would get done 4:59:59 on Friday. Just last night, I was browsing a used car classified, when a car popped up as a new listing via my IFTTT algorithms. Just listed.

Old me would have said "It's 7:00 on a Sunday, it's too late to call, it's impolite, I'll wait till the morning." And the morning would have become "Well, he'll be at work, I'll call when he gets home." Then I'd have given him time to unwind, time to eat, time to catch up with his wife, and then it'd be the next day, and the next. When I would finally call, as so often happened early on, the car likely would have been sold.

Instead, I gritted my teeth and picked up the phone immediately. No thinking. No whining. Just dialing. An hour later, I am the proud owner of a Lingenfelter Performance Engineering 560 whp 500wtq Corvette Z06. Car was savagely, get-the-f-out-of-here under-priced because of owner med bills, owner wanted cash ASAP, and I delivered. Will be great to film and flip. I never could have done it without the a$$ kicking I get daily from the winners on this forum.

So, why not just can the channel and flip cars full time? The state limits your flips to 5/yr, which with my wife's credentials as well means 10 max, which on the very meatiest flips means $150K in revenue, but more realistically about half that or less, AKA a job. Sure, it now takes 3 months to make 70K rather than 12, but That's not really fastlane, so I'm not settling for it.

So, how am I shaping things this time to make sure that the channel does well, and I'm able to evaluate the viability of this idea?

First, I've changed the focus of the channel. Although it will now feature driving videos, repair videos and the like, it will now focus principally on what nobody else is doing: Car hustling. This is going to be a channel about buying cars to flip them, the repairs and reviews (which others are doing, and doing well) are just a side thing.

With that in mind, I've begun to try and adjust my social media presence. My great luck with Reddit, forums, etc. has been in stark contrast to the difficulty I'd been having on social media. Despite having 1000 twitter followers, the following was not really "organic," it was mostly done via blind follows of people following my page, and the results are poor, a tweet will average 1-2 favorites, no comments, and no RT's typically. My facebook page is arranged and updated via website updates automatically, and twitter, but is

Since Instagram is the fastest growing platform, and VERY friendly to my content, I decided to turn my guns on it. I had 5 organic followers on my account on December 20th when I started, after several months of sporadic (every 1-2 weeks) posting. I set a hard and fast goal of no excuses posting 2-3 things per day. What I decided to do to get the IG in shape was a mix of posts containing car content from the channel:

3bnzNxC.png

and some fun motivational things:

HMXIDpQ.png

But always two per day. Since I started about 2.5-3 weeks ago, I've grown to about 50 followers, but more important, the engagement on the posts is very high for that number, I've even had some posts that had more likes than I had followers, but it's typically 20-40. Calls to action work great, I gain about 2 followers per day now. I'm hoping the launch of the channel, etc. will cause that number to begin to snowball into about 5000 active followers by summer.

I'm turning my guns on the Twitter account now, trying to use @DennisDuty 's Tips to make engaging advertising that expands when you click on it. I've found that the HEAVY use of hashtags is the only real way to up engagement. Also, RT and shoutout often. Other things simply don't work.

My facebook account is built but disused, I need to develop content for that too, and I'd welcome advice from people who've used that platform successfully. I think at this point facebook is making businesses do PPC to get exposure, right? That's fine, I just need to know where we're at.

One very helpful thing is that my wife is working on this too, and she's taken the managing of the social media accounts off my plate; I help think of the content, but she'll often format it and post it, as well as participating in the videos and the filming. That's helpful from a technical standpoint, and because women have a much higher likelihood of getting followers on social media than men, especially YouTube, so having the channel at least 50% female-fronted can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, we have a new video "coming out" (on Reddit, forums, etc.) tomorrow. The point of this video is to re-establish some interest in the channel before we begin to release the regular episodes, and hopefully build up our subscriber count a bit more. I already ran traffic from Reddit to our other videos, and netted about 9,000 new views in the last week. The first full episode will air next week to coincide with the highest traffic times on Reddit. My goal at this point is to release a profusion of videos in this first month, promote day and night, and eventually build up the view and subscriber count to the point where I can try (again) to land my first sponsor. I'm looking at a general distributor for car parts that I've had a lot of dealings with. My goal is to approach him on the 15th and try and cement a deal by the end of the month for one video just to see how it goes.

If you want to help, despite the rocky start we could still definitely use subscribers to our YouTube channel and likes on our videos. You can also follow us on Instagram @TitleMine. Since the cat will be out of the bag-that we really are buying these cars for resale and not for ourselves, I hope we can drop at least a few golden nuggets we've learned about car hustling.

Here's a little video we made when we had an ice storm next weekend. I'm going to put it out on Reddit tomorrow and see how it does, but here it is for you guys first.

I'm also going to try a new strategy: Every update on this thread (vs. responding to questions/comments) will contain a specific nugget of advice or something I've learned.

Here's this update's Gold Nugget: A little-known subReddit called "Filmmakers" is actually chock-full of industry pros, people who work with legit AAA movie stars and directors in filming, editing, set design, etc.

As a result, a lot of music artists pop by hoping to get their beats discovered or gain popularity offer their music for anyone to use in commercial projects for free with attribution. Here's just a sampling.

Phenomenal option if you need music and are sick of YouTube's over-used library of free tunes, and also don't want to risk infringement taking out your monetization.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Here's this update's Gold Nugget: A little-known subReddit called "Filmmakers" is actually chock-full of industry pros, people who work with legit AAA movie stars and directors in filming, editing, set design, etc.

Nice I'll have to check it out

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
@DennisDuty I still think Sony?RCA/Google etc. blew a literally billion dollar profit scheme by not setting up YouTube so content creators could license any song from them for a sliding flat rate for that video only and only on youtube, so like $10 if you have 0-10000 subs, $50 if you have 100,000 subs, etc. It'd be an epic way to claw back a lot of the lost revenue from the endless streaming of the music from YT by adblock users. That said, the fact that they still want full price to license for YT makes free music like this great.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.