The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Original Blunder!

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
As a part 2 to "My Ultimate Blunder" I will tell you the story of my first blunder and how I overcame it in part 3. Let part 2 be a warning to all the younger Entrepreneurs and a humorous story to all the experienced Fastlaners here. I'll be making fun of myself in this one.

Once upon a time a world travelled 25 year old sailor left the U.S> Navy in 1999. He had received one of the 1st Microsoft Certified Systems Developer certificate thanks to the Navy. He was recruited for an electronic engineering job right out and proceeded to to start this $72,000 per year position. 30 days later he left for a computer job to advance his skills with computers; a $20,000 per year drop in pay! His supervisor was not happy but liked him and wished him well after trying hard to keep him.

This man became a computer consultant (fancy name for help desk in those days) for the next 90 days. He quit because hi lesbian boss hated military men (factual not a stab at her). She had fired many ex-military men shortly after his leaving. His quiting practically saved her life "because I wanted to K*&% her!" Oops sorry got out of character for a sec.

During his time as a computer consultant he often hung around a few guys at their favorite bar; one was a Solomon Smith Barney trader, the other his contact for the popular IPO's going on at the time, and a recently funded Entrepreneur. They all lived at the beach in San Diego. After this man quit his computer consulting job, his friend who repped the IPO's got really excited and asked him to go into business with him. Neither had any experience as Entrepreneurs. The IPO guy (from this point on) said many of his clients needed IT/IS departments built from the ground floor to the CTO (Chief Technology Officer) as they were called then.

The young man agreed and recruited 3 others to handle various parts of the business, an IT Recruiter, a Telecommunication expert, and a former Help Desk Manager. All inexperienced Entrepreneurs. They decided to to form a formal partnership where the ex-Navy guy would be the managing partner. This was a general partnership, not an LLC, not a corporation (experienced Entrepreneurs may begin chuckling here).

Their first contact was worth $84,000 to design and build a network for vast Internet traffic with a strong Intrnet backbone (tech stuff details not important). Their 2nd contract was worth $225,000 and they celebrated because their company, Advanced Data Display Systems was off and running in just 2 months. All their clients were Dotcoms with money to burn (more chuckling now). their 3rd contract was $431,000 in their fourth month! They celebrated for two days, mostly drunk.

Ten months later this ex-Navy guy was informed he will be receiving his proceeds totaling the entire amount from launch to be $738,000. All the partners received about this much each because the contracts kept growing in amount. They all became very arrogant and cocky. The ex-Navy guy loved his really large glass desk in his office overlooking the ocean. He loved his expensive $4,000 per week beach home where all the parties seemed to end up. He had 2 waverunners on a trailer never used and a brand new Jeep Wrangler Sahara (with tow package) he financed. Some friend told him to build his credit rather than to buy it cash, he listened, (experienced Entrepreneurs may begin laughing hysterically here). He had many other toys not used and bills totaling almost $45,000 per month.

Two months later he was informed that taxes were a big problem for their company; no one had paid any of them! Then he noticed his client list dwindle down to 2 clients. He sought out his business partner (the IPO rep guy) to see what was going on. He had been cut off by his contacts for major conflict of interests.

One more month later no clients were heard from, the IRS was knocking and his bank account was low! He couldn't figure out what happened? He moved to a smaller apartment after the IRS confiscated much of his stuff. Apparently when partners in a General Partnership don't pay taxes they go after the manager 1st. Actually when the partners move to other states the IRS gets worried and reacts fast. This ex-Navy guy retains professional legal help with the last of his money and gets the IRS bill down to $180,000 owed. The stocks he purchased to diversify his portfolio are all worth crap! You know, like Qualcom, Lucent technologies and various private preferred stocks with many Dotcoms. Another week or two go buy and talks of the Dotcom crash hit the news vigorously. He did get lucky enough to have invested $25,000 with a women he dated shortly who grew her business and bought him out for about $196,000. The IRS took it all and called it even with his attorneys.

He found himself living on the beach (homeless) with a Jeep pre-paid for another 3 months. Living homeless on the beach is not that bad to be honest, but an apartment would have been nice. His company was a bright light burning fast with the Dotcom craze, and burning out just as fast! It's easy to make money in a fast economy, try holding onto it. If you haven't guessed, this was me. I am aslo the fool who thought of the name Advanced Data Display Systems (ADDS); sounds like a mental condition now.

At least I was smart enough to buy a lot of business books (most I didn't read until homeless). 1st, General Partnerships are bad business vehicles! 2nd, the list of things I did wrong is too long, so I will only talk about the 2 things I did right:

1. I found the customer base 1st.
2. I networked with the right people (energetic and determined people) although we all lacked experience.

In Part 3, I will tell the story of how I started and built Advanced Outsource from homeless to wealthy in the success story thread. Yes both companies had "Advanced" as the first word in the name, I thought it would give an advantage in the phone book. LOL

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great story ... very rags to riches, almost reminds me of John Paul Dejoria's (Paul Mitchell Systems) story.

Reminds me of a great thread I need to post ...

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Don't you mean riches to rags? Part 3 will be the rags to riches. Then part 1 shows how I lost it. LOL I don't mean to seem like a "Lost" episode with flashbacks and forward flashes.:coco:

dbaker89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 18, 2008
Reno, NV
Don't you mean riches to rags? Part 3 will be the rags to riches. Then part 1 shows how I lost it. LOL I don't mean to seem like a "Lost" episode with flashbacks and forward flashes.:coco:

Please keep going. I find your posts really inspirational.

I am up here in Reno but I can already tell your the type of person I would love to hang with and see how some of your operations are done. My knowledge of website building is very limited I did grow up in the tech era (I'm 18) but I never focused on web design. I have two websites,

www.FerrariStory.com
www.FerrariClothesOnline.com

Ferraristory I coded myself after reading a book on HTML but it was a very tedious process. I have not done much with it even though it gets a few hundred uniques per month.

FerrariClothesOnline.com I launched about a month ago and it has been a success in my mind. I have not done any marketing besides email marketing to my old clients on eBay (I took their paypal emails), but was a bit dissapointed when it didnt generate a sale. I am now up to 2 organic sales, total profit = 126$. My total cost was 90$ and my time. Well I also import the products and have about 3,000$ in cost of products sitting in my office.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Part 3 of 3: Rise from my Original Blunder

So I ended up homeless from the loss of my partnership because we all were very inexperienced and very cocky. Licking my wounds and living on the beach, sleeping in my jeep, I began to read the business books stored on the floor of my passenger seat area. The books inspired me to take action which many thought audacious or ridiculous. I began to invite many successful people around San Diego to lunch. Any business person who I thought I could learn from, I would take them to lunch and try to get any information from them I could. I was eating top ramen noodles in between lunches.

Two very important things happened during these lunches that stood out and were in common across the board. First, I found that successful people like to help other and usually became successful by doing such. Second, I learned a technique of selling without selling. I earned their respect by asking them for information. I soon found that if I just listened to them even though I knew the information, they would begin to have even more respect. A few shrewd business people caught on to this and asked me if I had already received the knowledge from other sources. I would always reply that I had in a different form, but each time, I learn a bit more.

When I finally began to focus on what business I wanted to startup, I called all of the lunch people to invite them to lunch again to get their advice on what I needed to do. Not only did I get free lunches from this, I got my first clients filling up the first year of contracts. My company was Advanced Outsource and I did network integration in a time when many out of work Network Engineers were freelancing!

Summary of Lessens Learned:

Inviting successful people to lunch to ask their advice is a lot more powerful than perceived. Many people are afraid of such successful people, or intimidated, so when a nobody sincerely invites these people to lunch, or dinner sometime, they get intrigued.

Asking for advice and listening to it even when you already know the information breeds respect and you may learn something additional.

These types of meetings also make a great platform for the "Take Away" selling technique. More than once I used this technique inadvertently by sincerely sharing my vision and insisting the person I was meeting with was not in a place to invest or purchase services from me (always very politely). It ended up with a 90% success rate, if memory serves, it was 6 of 7 lunch meetings.

Great consultants of any industry are the ones that listen and wait for questions. Don't give advice unless asked. If you are afraid others can't or won't see your expertise, then learn to listen more, because the right people will realize it and make it known.

In two years I had employed 23 permanent employees and 38 regular contractors. The company grew the entire 5 1/2 years it existed until "My Ultimate Blunder." In January of the 3rd year I incorporated; by the end of the year I almost went public. It is not impossible to achieve success!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the follow-up to the full story. Some might be wondering, how did you approach these successful business people?

Did you call them? Show up at their home? Office? How did you "sell" the interview? How did you get their telephone numbers?

Just curious as this strategy is not only great for your purpose, but to meet with people who might hold critical keys to opportunity doors.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Thanks for the follow-up to the full story. Some might be wondering, how did you approach these successful business people?

Did you call them? Show up at their home? Office? How did you "sell" the interview? How did you get their telephone numbers?

Just curious as this strategy is not only great for your purpose, but to meet with people who might hold critical keys to opportunity doors.

I always called first so the "Gate Keepers" knew who I was. If no go on the phone I would show up in clothes a student would wear (that's pretty much all I had other than a few suits left). This labeled me harmless because sales people always tried the frontal assault. I would intro myself and explain a little about my project (info gathering on what I wanted to start) and ask them for advice before asking for a lunch meeting with their boss. If I got the "my job is so important the universe may implode" vibe, I wouldn't ask for the lunch meeting right away. When at lunch with their boss I would always ask for recommendations of the next person to speak to and if they would call them for me.

Once these people knew my situation and realized what I was doing, they became very accommodating. Sincerity is a powerful tool. That's really it.

What was your structure for the first three years?

An LLC. Formed the C-corp to sell equity (private preferred stock convertable to common).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I had missed this thread until now, very interesting story. I'm sure your experience is valuable to many here with little to no income to start a business. You show them that all they have to do is hit the street and really want it. I see more and more people just thinking that they can start an internet company and make a million dollars. It may happen but not as much as they think! I started what i have no from nothing but i didn't start out on the internet, i hit the street as you did.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just reread this as I was including some excerpts in my book ... worthy of a "Bump".

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for bumping this thread. First time I've seen it.

Incredible story Servicefly!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.