The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My new website, just released, please tell me what you all think about it.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hi there, had a little idea, I bought a script and hired a programmer on freelance to make some changes. So the website is www.givethanksfor.com basically it's a twist on fmylife.com but in a positive way. I hope this site brings positive views to people's lives.

I think the domain easy to understand and easy to remember.

Do you guys think if I invest lets say $1,000 into marketing ads online to get traffic, would this be a site people would want to share with their friends?

What do you guys think, can this site grow into a big visitor base like fmylife.com and should I make some changes to the site?

Checkout www.givethanksfor.com and let me know what you think, I will be looking forward to your feedback, tell me your positive views and negative views. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Doesn't load.

I have hosting with hostpapa.com, the programmer that was working on the site said my hosting servers are slow, looks like I need to find a a new hosting company.

edit* I just tried several times, it appears to load but slow

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
What is this supposed to be, there is nothing on the page. Did you actually pay someone to do that for you?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Also without sounding ignorant and like a dick (mostly), the site is kinda F*ckING BORING!

People love fml and stuff like that cause they want to laugh at people's pain and just overall stuff that is funny. I bet there is a market that wants to read cute little thank you's but I am not that confident that this is a selling idea.

Perhaps change the tone, Give Thanks For... and its just pure comedic.

Like " Just woke up with a random girl, guess the night was good, but now my dick itches... givethanksfor one night stands"

Why is that the first example I can think of, don't ask.

Edir: Sorry for double post thought I hit edit :/

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
What is this supposed to be, there is nothing on the page. Did you actually pay someone to do that for you?

Well I did pay for the fmylife clone script which was about $120 and I paid a website designer $70 to change logos, add social share buttons and couple of changes. It's suppose to be a similar site to fmylife but with a positive twist, there's nothing on the page? when you click on the link, the page doesn't come up?

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
I did this project as a way to get my feet wet, I do have bigger ideas, looks like tomorrow I will be working on one of them.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Don't pay attention to people saying it's boring and I wouldn't come here for validation on a site like that.

You need to figure out your niche // target market and get their opinions on the product. Not just opinions, observe if they actually use it and want to keep using it. They might say they like it but, if they don't come out then obviously they really don't.

I personally think this idea is OK but, I think that their might be something there, i'm just not sure what. That's for you to figure out.

Edit - I would go to some christian / religious forums and ask them to test your product

Last edited:

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Don't pay attention to people saying it's boring and I wouldn't come here for validation on a site like that.

You need to figure out your niche // target market and get their opinions on the product. Not just opinions, observe if they actually use it and want to keep using it. They might say they like it but, if they don't come out then obviously they really don't.

I personally think this idea is OK but, I think that their might be something there, i'm just not sure what. That's for you to figure out.

Edit - I would go to some christian / religious forums and ask them to test your product

Thank you for your feedback, I like it personally, it could just end up being a hobby for me but yes the target market is the religious groups.

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
props for getting something up. i do think the idea is good and could be monetized. i would do some split testing.. fancy site vs plain site

test adding graphics, vids, bright colors, different layouts

Jay Lyfe

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 15, 2013
wordpress theme

Hey :)

Whiteeclipse I'm building a website like yours, just with another topic.

Where can I find a Wordpress theme like this?:

http://www.fmylife.com/

Been looking around but having trouble finding one.

- Jay

apexstrat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 14, 2013
London, UK
target market is the religious groups.

This is a cute idea and you may well get some traction. Target doesn't need to be religious groups, women of a certain age love this type of stuff, The Secret, Pay it forward etc. I would definitely have a think about basic style settings, make the colors a bit brighter etc. Go on fiverr.com and get someone to make you a logo. Just changing the background to white and the header pink or purple will have a massive difference.

I set up a site a while back targeting a similar demographic:
www.angel-heart.co.uk

I wouldn't give up on the idea just yet, guys posting on TFLF are definately not your audience.

Couple of questions... how are you planning to monetize, and what do you plan to spend your $1000 marketing budget on?

Have you got a facebook page set up? Social media is made for this sort of thing.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Looks like your average clone...

pbl24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
This site is a classic archetype of the two-sided marketplace problem. People will not visit your site unless there is content from people to read, and people will not post on the site if there is nobody to read. In order to be successful, you have to overcome this problem. How you do that may depend on your preferences. You can follow an approach like reddit did back in the early days; they faked it until the made it. Early on, a lot of the content was from the admins/creators themselves (even using different pseudonyms).

Regarding your money question. I would be leery about dumping a lot of money into it unless you have a clear understanding of what (and who) you are trying to target. I'm assuming when you refer to spending $1,000 on marketing, you are referring to search engine ads. Are there lots of people out there searching for "sites like fmylife, except happy" or "giving thanks stories"? I would venture to guess there are not, so you may end up wasting your money.

Sites like this rely on a high viral component. If you want to grow, it's absolutely compulsory that you get the people to share stuff on the site. Don't try to "bake" social in after the fact; it will feel kludgy. Social has to be built in from the core. You need to focus on getting eyeballs on the content. Lots of eyeballs. I'm assuming your only outlet for a potential revenue stream is advertising, so you need high throughput in order to see significant returns on advertising.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hey :)

Whiteeclipse I'm building a website like yours, just with another topic.

Where can I find a Wordpress theme like this?:

http://www.fmylife.com/

Been looking around but having trouble finding one.

- Jay

Hi Jay,

I bought the script from fmyscript.com, not sure about a wordpress, may need to keep looking.

Goodluck

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
pbl24, good advice, I agree with you, thanks.

It was my site, it was more for fun to get my feet wet, I'm not putting more time or work into this site, I'm working another project which I feel will be bigger and easier to grow to gain user base.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Thank you everyone for your advice, so the givethanksfor fmylife concept was the wrong way to go I realized, so now there is a new concept, check it out givethanksfor.com , let me know what you guys think of it.

Thanks

Last edited:
G

Guest12120

I clicked on the first Full Story and was redirected to "Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!"

I wouldn't be your target audience but a couple things I noticed:

• No social media sharing buttons. It's absolutely necessary for a website like this.
  • I would keep the whole story on your website instead of sending traffic to yahoo or elsewhere.
  • Bigger article picture would get more attention.
  • I would change the color theme to something more "optimistic".
  • What's the sign in form for?
  • No logo.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
pkom79, thank you for our review.

Just started working on the content today, link fixed for the first story.
-No social media sharing buttons as of yet, I'm waiting to add more content before I add the social media buttons.
-I was worried about adding the whole story because it's not my content, I'm not really sure if it's legal or not.
-Thanks, I was thinking about the bigger article pictures but was not sure at first but I think it will be a good idea also.
-Thanks, I was thinking about this also, will be changing the color theme.
-The sign in is to create a account of the site to have a username name if you want to comment on the stories but people don't have to be members to comment, any guest can comment.
-No logo yet, thinking of different themes.

Thanks again

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.