The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Nico Serdeir

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Dec 9, 2018
Hey there! I am Rich Clominson, maker of Failory. 16 months ago, I launched my little side-project on a few communities, which consisted of weekly interviews with the founders of failed startups.

All these months, I have been working on my free times to make the site richer. And today, after hundreds of working hours, I have launched Failory 2.0.

This completely new site has become a community where I publish interviews with the founders of failed and successful startups, articles about entrepreneurship, carefully curated resources to make you a better founder, and (really soon) post-mortem articles analyzes the failures of big companies.

With Failory 2.0, I aim to grow the business and increase the monthly revenue. I would love to know your feedback about the project and opinion of this decision to growing my side-project into a startup-related platform.

Moreover, I would love to read anyone's experience growing a side project into a business. Remember that MailCheat(Chimp) was a side-project for 6 years! Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
A little un-cool to make your first post in the forum a one that spams your stuff.

However, I think you've got something pretty neat here.

What I like, is that by interviewing the owners of failed companies, you get all the nitty gritty details. There's no reason to hold back. When people are successful, they don't want to give away the golden goose.

Stick around, and share some of the knowledge you've gained with us.

My first successful business started as a side project with a $300 investment. For a year and a half I ran it while being a full-time teacher. Quit the day job, ran it full-time for a year, and then sold it.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
A little un-cool to make your first post in the forum a one that spams your stuff.

However, I think you've got something pretty neat here.

What I like, is that by interviewing the owners of failed companies, you get all the nitty gritty details. There's no reason to hold back. When people are successful, they don't want to give away the golden goose.

Stick around, and share some of the knowledge you've gained with us.

My first successful business started as a side project with a $300 investment. For a year and a half I ran it while being a full-time teacher. Quit the day job, ran it full-time for a year, and then sold it.

I thought the same thing that he had a good concept with these interviews. I just finished a few industry interviews for my site and really enjoyed the experience and will be digging deeper.

That is awesome you were a teacher and doing business! What did you teach? I was a MS and HS teacher for 12 years, six of them abroad. I miss having a cushy gig with so much time off, having a set routine and working with dynamic people, but couldn't continue as lost the passion and the entrepreneur grind was calling.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
That is awesome you were a teacher and doing business! What did you teach? I was a MS and HS teacher for 12 years, six of them abroad.

I taught middle and high school band.

I miss having a cushy gig with so much time off, having a set routine and working with dynamic people

Dynamic? haha, that's not a word I would use to describe almost any teacher I ever worked with. Maybe the abroad folks were different?

I miss teaching, but I don't miss the job of being a teacher.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I taught middle and high school band.

Dynamic? haha, that's not a word I would use to describe almost any teacher I ever worked with. Maybe the abroad folks were different?

I miss teaching, but I don't miss the job of being a teacher.

Band guy, man u were brave.

I would say at each school I worked at there were a few teachers that could be called dynamic, but yah most were meh.

I've had a few brilliant students mostly in international schools. One family sent three of their kids to West Point and now they are all back in their home country making great change. Another is the governor of a string of Caribbean islands. So I put former students in the dynamic people category too. Probably more from this group that have value than the teacher group overall.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Band guy, man u were brave.

How? Kids who sign up for my class, no oversight from admin beyond budget, no standardized testing, getting a nice stipend (my state was probably best for band director pay), getting to play my horn all day.

The job was still a job, and it had it's negatives, but it was way better than teaching any other subject.

So I put former students in the dynamic people category too. Probably more from this group that have value than the teacher group overall.

Ok gotcha, you miss working with the awesome ones. Yeah, me too. If I could just teach those, it would've been great! Unfortunately, you have to give 95% of your attention to the turds.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
How? Kids you sign up for my class, no oversight from admin beyond budget, no standardized testing, getting a nice stipend (my state was probably best for band director pay), getting to play my horn all day.

The job was still a job, and it had it's negatives, but it was way better than teaching any other subject.

Ok gotcha, you miss working with the awesome ones. Yeah, me too. If I could just teach those, it would've been great! Unfortunately, you have to give 95% of your attention to the turds.

I guess Im just not a big noise guy and every time I walked by the band rooms it seemed like a lot of ruckus. But I hear you that list of nice things as I was a PE teacher for many of my teaching years and pretty similar besides the horn playing, and replace with shooting hoops.

Yah for sure dont miss the turds.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
In my school, everyone in the 4th grade was in band, you didn't have a choice. I went on to mainly play the alto and bari sax but I could play atleast 1 song on everything except the clarinet. Anyway, my dream was to be a band teacher.... am I glad that didn't pan out! :rofl:

My wife's sister, bother-in-law, nephew and her nephew's wife are all professional musicians either teaching or playing.

I agree, I thought it was spammy too but, with people that have failed businesses, they probably have no reason to hold back unless they are going to try it again. I am going to give it a listen.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
Hey there! I am Rich Clominson, maker of Failory. 16 months ago, I launched my little side-project on a few communities, which consisted of weekly interviews with the founders of failed startups.

All these months, I have been working on my free times to make the site richer. And today, after hundreds of working hours, I have launched Failory 2.0.

This completely new site has become a community where I publish interviews with the founders of failed and successful startups, articles about entrepreneurship, carefully curated resources to make you a better founder, and (really soon) post-mortem articles analyzes the failures of big companies.

With Failory 2.0, I aim to grow the business and increase the monthly revenue. I would love to know your feedback about the project and opinion of this decision to growing my side-project into a startup-related platform.

Moreover, I would love to read anyone's experience growing a side project into a business. Remember that MailCheat(Chimp) was a side-project for 6 years! Thanks in advance!
I like the idea , what did you use to design the website?
i am guessing you coded it by yourself , since the outlook doesnt look "wix'ish or wordpressy" .Also , just to give you some advice, the website feels on the verge of tacky due to monotone colouring. Ever thought of hiring a local website designer or a friend, its always been a boost for me.Hell you could learn the layout yourself if you're a go getter.

Just a few questions:

By Growth what do you mean? do you mean clicks, monetory growth or content growth?

Can anybody just email you and ask to upload information?

Is it a solo project?

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I tell you what OP, if you can get the executives from Blockbuster, at the time Netflix was a mail order business,on the phone, that would be worth the price of admission.

One of the most fascinating business failures of the 21st Century.

Not a startup, but Netflix was...

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Or the guys from Kodak, who had the digital camera technology years before any one else, but shelved it, as they were making too much money processing film! oops!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.