The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My life possessions in 3 travel bags - another going *all in* post

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Tedd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Jan 13, 2017
This is it. Something* snapped today and I decided to go "all in". I'm following @Fox model. :) Thanks for your inspiration!

Moving to Vietnam. I did a reconnaissance mission two weeks ago to the country and also met up with @creativt69 who was visiting looking for software outsourcing partners. Had a good talk! I've been there before as well, courtesy of my previous 9-5, covering that market. Read many digital nomads/entrepreneurs moved in there. So it made sense to relocate.

Saved up some money to cover the initial months' expenses. I'll check in at a budget hotel for a couple of days and then search and move to a basic apartment in the next week. I'll also make sure there are no distractions nearby my place - you know bars, clubs that sort of thing, and would look for gym and supermarket nearby.

I made some initial success following @SinisterLex threads on Upwork, which you can see in my intro thread. However, since I wasn't *all in*, it kind of showed. Not any more. Have to hustle from the bottom. I'll follow the breadcrumbs he'd left - though my area isn't in copywriting. ;)

I've never done anything like this before. I'm someone who looks for safety net/Plan B in anything. It feels crazy, but I don't want a SCRIPTED life or mediocrity that I was before. I want to take control of my life. Reading those all-in threads in the forum made to take the plunge. Thanks everyone! I'll follow up.

*This will be dealt in a future thread/post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 20170514_195310.jpg
    20170514_195310.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Not trying to tell you what to do, but if I was you I'd gift the books and get the kindle versions on a digital reader.

BTW, I love paper books. I love the way they feel and making dog ears and putting in notes. I love holding a book in my hand and turning the pages. I'm just that type of person. However, when packing and traveling... my space is sacred and I will break down and put it in digital.

However, I am also the guy that tries to fit everything in 1 carry on too and leave everything else behind which I have done for several trips now.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Agree with @eliquid, sell the books and get the kindle versions. All except for any quick reference ones like Cashvertising

@Tedd If you're in HCMC, you can use this as a guide. Hochlist.com by hochlist
D1, and D3 are center. If you live further out, you'll find some cheaper apts to extend your runway. There's like a billion english teachers here and demand is really high so that can be a backup if things doesn't work as quickly as you planned.

I wish you had more runway than a few months but you'll learn a lot no matter what happens. Burning the ships tends to do that to ya. Congrats :)

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
You are really couragous.
Others (including me) have read the thread, thought "this is great" but never did something about it.

So congratulations for going all in!

I don't know if it's the right decision (as I don't know your backstory), but it will definetly push you.
Start a progress thread and keep us updated!

Also, thank you for making me question my excuses to not the same :)

Ika

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Its the only way, all in, good luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Impressive, may I ask, why Vietnam? Climate? Cost of living? Have you been to other places in SE Asia?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
This is it. Something* snapped today and I decided to go "all in". I'm following @Fox model. :) Thanks for your inspiration!

Moving to Vietnam. I did a reconnaissance mission two weeks ago to the country and also met up with @creativt69 who was visiting looking for software outsourcing partners. Had a good talk! I've been there before as well, courtesy of my previous 9-5, covering that market. Read many digital nomads/entrepreneurs moved in there. So it made sense to relocate.

Saved up some money to cover the initial months' expenses. I'll check in at a budget hotel for a couple of days and then search and move to a basic apartment in the next week. I'll also make sure there are no distractions nearby my place - you know bars, clubs that sort of thing, and would look for gym and supermarket nearby.

I made some initial success following @SinisterLex threads on Upwork, which you can see in my intro thread. However, since I wasn't *all in*, it kind of showed. Not any more. Have to hustle from the bottom. I'll follow the breadcrumbs he'd left - though my area isn't in copywriting. ;)

I've never done anything like this before. I'm someone who looks for safety net/Plan B in anything. It feels crazy, but I don't want a SCRIPTED life or mediocrity that I was before. I want to take control of my life. Reading those all-in threads in the forum made to take the plunge. Thanks everyone! I'll follow up.

*This will be dealt in a future thread/post.

@Tedd I've upended my life on 2 separate occasions to move overseas with no plan B. In one case, to a place I had never even been before until I got off the plane with all my shit, and not speaking a word of the language. I have regretted a lot of decisions in life, but neither of those.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
@Tedd At the risk of sounding incredibly patronizing, just be clear that such a move won't necessarily fix any "problems" you have. I'm not saying you have any (seriously), but plenty of people have moved to the city/bought a puppy/had a baby/did-that-one-thing-that-if-they-only-did-it-everything-would-be better only to find their habits of procrastination or laziness or incompatibility remain.

If you've taken a hard look in the mirror and know this would be a huge step in the right direction than do it.

All that said, 11 years ago I packed everything I had in my Chevy S10 and made for a big city. It was the absolute best decision I had ever made and was a building block for my life today.

Loffinds

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 24, 2017
Everywhere
Congrats !! I just fit my life in two bags, it's an incredibly freeing feeling having more or less everything on your back!

I'm in Bali at the moment but Vietnam is on my list. Will let you know if i head nearby ! Have fun!!

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
You won't regret it. I left to travel to Thailand and Bali for three months and I haven't been back to the States since (besides to visit). Don't forget about your pretty large tax credit for being abroad.

I've been all over Vietnam and lived in Saigon for extended periods of time. You'll love it - it's like the wild east and the cost of living is incredibly low.

Ditch the bag for books and get a kindle. Thank me later.

@Tedd At the risk of sounding incredibly patronizing, just be clear that such a move won't necessarily fix any "problems" you have. I'm not saying you have any (seriously), but plenty of people have moved to the city/bought a puppy/had a baby/did-that-one-thing-that-if-they-only-did-it-everything-would-be better only to find their habits of procrastination or laziness or incompatibility remain.

I disagree. Completely changing your environment will more than likely change YOU: your thoughts, your opinions, your life. Moving and traveling abroad has been the most eye opening thing I could have ever done. I've met more amazing people, been to more places, and have infinitely more options that I've ever had before.

Living in another country is nothing like getting a puppy or having a baby (wtf).

It may not fix procrastination and laziness, or it just might.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
There's no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A.

I didn't have much opportunity in my teens and twenties to travel a lot. As soon as I did though it was a huge eye opener. There's something about seeing new places and interacting with different people and cultures that teaches you more about yourself than you ever realized.

Sounds like you're definitely on the right path to the UNSCRIPTED way of life.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Not trying to tell you what to do, but if I was you I'd gift the books and get the kindle versions on a digital reader.

BTW, I love paper books. I love the way they feel and making dog ears and putting in notes. I love holding a book in my hand and turning the pages. I'm just that type of person. However, when packing and traveling... my space is sacred and I will break down and put it in digital.

However, I am also the guy that tries to fit everything in 1 carry on too and leave everything else behind which I have done for several trips now.

This! Last spring after graduating college and getting a job that required me to relocate quickly, I decided that I would condense my life possessions into what amounted to one car load. I threw away/donated/sold everything I could, but could not part with my books. They took up a lot of space and were extremely heavy when boxed up, and over a year later they still sit in the boxes I packed. I now use Kindle for everything--not only are books generally cheaper in that format, I can pop open a book whenever I have downtime and still look like all the cool kids who check their Facebook every five minutes.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Ditto - throw away the books.

All I take is 1 laptop bag - which I can fit everything I need. Take airplanes like you'd hop on a train.

You need:
  • Passport / ID / bank cards
  • Laptop
  • Smartphone
  • Notepad & pens
  • Chargers
  • Change of clothes
  • Maybe some toiletries, comb, tweezers etc
Thats it! Everything else you can buy when you are there, if you actually need it.

P.S Ive never visited Vietnam, but try consider Thailand (Bangkok) if you havn't already booked flights.

I did something similar to you a couple of years ago without any planning & all worked out great.

I stayed in city centre hotel my 1st week, but a girl helped me find an apartment (same building she lives) & became my GF.

Thailand might suit you more, it's a bit more modern & developed, from what I can tell. Everything you can find here (shopping malls etc), so you wont miss things back home. I prefer cars vs motorcycles everywhere.

You could visit Vietnam after 2 months, (when you'd need to get a Visa to extend your stay).

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.