The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Introduction

Schmitt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well. Im 18 and a freshman in college. I never had a clue about what career path I desired, I only knew I wanted to start my own business because I wanted to be my own boss. My plan had been to get a degree in one of my interests like physics, engineering, or computer science. I would then acquire a job in that field and at some point start a business. I realized that the reason I was having a hard time declaring my major was because they all would lead me to horrible 9 to 5 desk jobs. So I started learning to code with the intent to create my own website/app. It was right after this that my brother showed me this book, which really helped me get a better idea of the resources and mindset i'll need. So now i'm joining the forum to gather idea's and learn from everyone's experiences.
Also, I have changed my major to marketing and I am teaching myself coding at home so that I can learn two very important factors in my road to the fastlane simultaneously. Not 100% about this decision yet, so I am open to any opinions.
Nice meeting you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, and welcome! I myself just joined the forum today, but have been reading the GOLD and Notable threads for months.

My plan had been to get a degree in one of my interests like physics, engineering, or computer science. I would then acquire a job in that field and at some point start a business. I realized that the reason I was having a hard time declaring my major was because they all would lead me to horrible 9 to 5 desk jobs.
Reading this makes me feel like I'm reading my own mind form 2 years ago. We are all conditioned to do what 'we're told,' and postpone what we actually want to do until later in life when we have more money, time, experience....the list just goes on and on. The truth is that you cannot get life-changing advice from conventional people, it's a simple as that.

Also, I have changed my major to marketing and I am teaching myself coding at home so that I can learn two very important factors in my road to the fastlane simultaneously
From my experience, most of the knowledge anyone gains from a business-related degree is worthless. Think of it this way: If your school professors were actually good at business, do you think they would spend their early adult life studying just to earn an overrated Phd, and then teach young adults like you for the rest of their lives? The answer is a resounding NOOOOO!

Having said that, I'm not saying you should change your major or anything like that. If you're asking me, your major won't matter in the end if you're going to run a business.

I started learning to code with the intent to create my own website/app
Learning code can be a valuable skill in your toolbox. I know because I've done it before, and it has proven to be useful from time to time. However, don't get into the trap that just because you know how to code (like millions out there) you can make a website/app and become the next young billionaire. It doesn't work like that. Read the books for now, and also read as much as you can from this forum. In addition to coding, doing some freelance copywriting work on Fiverr or Upwork, as well as checking out this paid advertising thread by @eliquid GOLD - Paid Advertising Crash Course should keep you busy for now.

P.S. It's a good idea to mention @MJ DeMarco since this is your first post.

Schmitt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Thank you for suggesting copywriting and advertising, i'm definitely going to look into that.
As for your professor comment, I do think that the reason professors are not out there doing what they're teaching is because they never learned how or tried to apply it into the right area's, or maybe they just realized they enjoy teaching more. Maybe i'm wrong, but I still think there is a ton of valuable information to be learned in college about marketing and/or any other major.

I've read the book, and obviously i'm aware that just because I know how to code i'm not gonna be the next billionaire. I'm not falling into any trap. coding IS very useful and i'm going to focus on making something that people want or improve on something already created. if it works, great. if it doesn't, then at least i've tried and ill have that experience to go off of next time. But just because everyone else knows how to do it doesn't mean I shouldn't try it.
I'm on this forum to learn new things that I had no knowledge of before, so I will definitely be taking advantage of it.
Thank you for the tips @smark
@MJ DeMarco

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
I still think there is a ton of valuable information to be learned in college about marketing and/or any other major.
You're right, there is value to be gained from a college education. However, to maximize that value it should be your goal to sort out the truly useful stuff from everything else you'll learn. I am currently in my second year of studies so I'm speaking from experience here.

coding IS very useful and i'm going to focus on making something that people want or improve on something already created. if it works, great. if it doesn't, then at least i've tried and ill have that experience to go off of next time.
Reading this makes me think that you're headed in the right direction. Keep it up, and I can't wait to see your progress.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Schmitt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Thats true, I'll have to figure out how to filter what i'm learning. Are you studying at a college? If you are, what are you studying and how are you doing with sorting it all out?
And thank you, I hope everything works out for you.
@smark

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Thats true, I'll have to figure out how to filter what i'm learning. Are you studying at a college? If you are, what are you studying and how are you doing with sorting it all out?
And thank you, I hope everything works out for you.
@smark

I am currently studying in a four year university. My background with coding convinced me to go for Computer Science, but got tired of it after a semester due to the fact that being taught how to code is a lot more boring than doing it yourself, and also because of the amount of workload that was required (I still got straight As though, it just wasn't for me).

I wanted to change my major into something that didn't require a lot of classes, so that I could take a lot of different electives to keep myself engaged and also learn things from manh different fields. So, I changed my major to Creative Writing, which strangely is what got me to copywriting.

The major is only about 14 classes, which leaves me plenty of room to take a few classes in other fields (economics and finance being my top choices for electives).

As far as sorting things out, think of what will ultimately be truly useful in your enterpreneurial journey. For example, I have developed my writing to a pretty high level so literature and writing classes don't offer me as much benefit as they used to. On the other hand, classes like macroeconomics, though not as useful for starting out a business, have allowed me to further understand the world around me and how the market works, which will certainly be of use in the not-so-distant future. The important thing to remember is whatever you end up learning, try to figure out how it can benefit you in the long term, OR if it's just one of those "nice to know" things that will never be of any use.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum, glad you enjoyed the book.

. My plan had been to get a degree in one of my interests like physics, engineering, or computer science.

Great stuff to be learning at college. The fact that you're thinking long-game as a freshman in college speaks a lot.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...