The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Affiliate Web Site Concept

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I posted a question a few weeks ago about affiliate sales. I've been talking to a few people lately and when I say "affiliate sites" they think of pay per click ads on sites that contain information or blogs. This isn't what I'm interested in beginning.

My idea is to build a web site that my target audience (males, 20 to 30 years old) specifically visit to purchase products. I won't be distributing any products or carrying an inventory because all the products sold on my web site will be carried by the affilate web sites that I promote. I plan on it having a similar concept to www.Gifts.com. Gifts.com is the only web site that I know that has this business model.

I would build the site based on an aggressive marketing strategy that my target audience is vulnerable to. I would use marketing that was also similar to the products we promote: music, girls and sports would be the primary areas.

But I have a few questions:

1.) Are there any other sites (other than Gifts.com) that have this type of business model?

2.) I only have limited knowledge of html, so I think my best bet would be to get the site designed by an outside source. How much would it cost me to get this site designed and are there any particular companies you would recommend?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
I'm sure it's relatively easy to get a webdesigner at a reasonable rate.

What I'm really curious is how would you implement the "aggressive marketing strategy". There you'll need either a great idea or a huge budget (much bigger than what should be needed to build a site).

Anyway keep us posted on your project

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
When I say "aggressive marketing," I mean a cross between guerilla marketing and subjects that interest my target audience.

I'm going to be using sports, girls and music to get to my potential customers because they're interested in these topics. Some ads may be provocative or even seductive but that's what makes the 20-30 year old male vulnerable. Think of the Tag Body Spray or Axe Effect commercials but instead of marketing to teens, I would be aiming at college students, bachelors and young adult males. Take this type of ad thinking and then intermix things like sports (football, baseball, etc) and music into the marketing too.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Strictly as a consumer, with very little ebusiness knowledge, I would say that there is still room in this market.​

I estimate that I do 50% of my shopping (non perishable items) online and it seems to grow each year. I used gifts.com many times (with some success) throughout December and again, just last night, when searching for something for my father in-law. I was actually wishing that I knew of another similar site, as I was not finding what I needed. If done right, it could be a home run, in my opinion. Everyone has at least one challenging giftee.... sites like this give it that personal shopper feel. What's better than that? lol​

Not sure about your target consumer base - would have to do a market study to see how many men in that age group are spending online and, realistically, how much of that market share you could attract. Just a thought but why limit yourself? I could see if you were only planning to stock a certain type of inventory (then it would make sense to define your target audience) but if I am reading you right, your intention is to have zero inventory. In that case, I would say make your market as broad as possible. Or, at the very least, find out who the heaviest hitters are, start with them and then branch out. You want to go to the market which is existing, to give yourself the best shot.​

I think it's a strong idea. Best of luck with it!​

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Your model is just a BANS site. There's several thousands of other just like it. Gifts.com just has a prime domain name.

I don't know what BANS site means??

And no, one of the reasons why I found Gifts.com is because it has this tool that matches your personality with certain products. It has nothing to do with the domain.

I understand the concept of selling and promotion other people's products for a slice of the pie is a historic thing, but almost everyone who has helped me with affiliate sales ends up showing me web sites of people posting useless information and then showing you great deals using their affiliate link. People also confuse what I want to do with Pay Per Click, because PPC is considered to be affiliate sales.

Not sure about your target consumer base - would have to do a market study to see how many men in that age group are spending online and, realistically, how much of that market share you could attract. Just a thought but why limit yourself? I could see if you were only planning to stock a certain type of inventory (then it would make sense to define your target audience) but if I am reading you right, your intention is to have zero inventory. In that case, I would say make your market as broad as possible. Or, at the very least, find out who the heaviest hitters are, start with them and then branch out. You want to go to the market which is existing, to give yourself the best shot.​

I think it's a strong idea. Best of luck with it!​

The reason I'm limiting myself to the market of males, 20-30 years old, is because I want a defined marketing plan for this type of person. I want to have aggressive strategies that I know will get through to this market. And even if Z5 Films is correct about thousands of other people having this idea, then I want to be the guy who's taking this basic idea of promoting affiliate products, organizing a site with products that fit my audience and then marketing the hell out of it.

I do however plan on checking out how often my target audience is on the internet and how many of them buy things over the internet - I just have no idea where to find this information. I also agree that the heavy hitters would be a good market to get into too, but first I have to find out who they are.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I also agree that the heavy hitters would be a good market to get into too, but first I have to find out who they are.

Just my opinion but I think this is the key. Find out where the strongest market is and appeal to them. It is far too difficult to get a new market to come to you.

A wise friend/mentor (Keith J Cunningham) once said to me:

Find out What They Want
Go and Get It
Give It to Them

So simple but so true....

Once you figure out who the major force is, find out what they like to buy and give it to them (or shove it gently down their throat :))

MJ posted some really good articles about how to gain exposure - How to Launch A Service With No Ad Budget. Look up that thread, when you have a chance.

cantwait2

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
716%
Aug 15, 2007
-
Z5 is right it's a popular model and there are thousands of sites, but that's not to say you can't be succesful with it...just reaserch the net until your fingers bleed :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I posted a question a few weeks ago about affiliate sales. I've been talking to a few people lately and when I say "affiliate sites" they think of pay per click ads on sites that contain information or blogs. This isn't what I'm interested in beginning.

My idea is to build a web site that my target audience (males, 20 to 30 years old) specifically visit to purchase products. I won't be distributing any products or carrying an inventory because all the products sold on my web site will be carried by the affilate web sites that I promote. I plan on it having a similar concept to www.Gifts.com. Gifts.com is the only web site that I know that has this business model.

I would build the site based on an aggressive marketing strategy that my target audience is vulnerable to. I would use marketing that was also similar to the products we promote: music, girls and sports would be the primary areas.

But I have a few questions:

1.) Are there any other sites (other than Gifts.com) that have this type of business model?

2.) I only have limited knowledge of html, so I think my best bet would be to get the site designed by an outside source. How much would it cost me to get this site designed and are there any particular companies you would recommend?

Thank you.

1) Do your research, including your business plan.

Find your competitors and see what they are doing. Can you do it better? Better products? Better targeting? There always is room for another business that can do things better - just because others exist, don't let that stop you. You need to do things better.

2) Get a brandable domain.

3) Find your products.

4) Hire developer that will convey your brand. (Or learn development yourself). Sounds like your business model would easily lend to a Content Management System such as Joomla (www.joomla.org) which is FREE and somewhat "learnable" by your average web surfer.

As with most ideas, the probability of your success isn't your idea, but your execution.

Good luck.

GypsyRay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 18, 2008
Is your affiliate product line information, services, hard goods, or some of each? If hard goods, Commission Junction can help some with basic demographics for your product line(s), as well as be a convenient source to reach vendors.

Have you asked your supplier or affiliate manager to help you learn about your target market? Do you even have an affiliate manager? Have they contacted you? Are they proactive in offering you creatives?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.