The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Music that Motivates

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
When I was in my 20s I was all for speed metal and the dankest of hip hop. These days I prefer more mellow sound.

I found that I don't like to use music to get emotionally pumped up for daily life stuff. In fact I even stopped listening to heavy and fast music for workouts. It's great to get blasted on some Fear Factory or whatever the hell this is for a set of squats, but over the long run I figured out that I don't like wasting the mental energy.

(If you like to have a little science, I can cook up a mean story about the effects of sustained emotional arousal, especially when you use "psych-up" methods to overcome natural lulls in bodily rhythms. This can impact your physical condition over the long term.)

For me getting motivated means getting focused and doing what needs doing.

I've found that classical piano and orchestral works, or ambient/chill/downtempo electronic music without lyrics, is what hits the spot for me as background music.

With all the ambient/chill and vaporwave albums on Bandcamp, Soundcloud and Youtube you'll never have to listen to the same thing twice. These two mixes have been popping up on my list a few times recently:

For a little faster stuff, I'm digging the renaissance of the synthwave/retrowave genre. It's like being in an alternate universe 80s. This guy has been broadcasting a live stream which is pretty decent listening:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

This guy to me is inspirational. He worked his way up to being the go-to drummer for live shows for some of the top players over the years. When he was touring with Michael Jackson he was making $50k PER SHOW! In this video you can see how his complementary contribution can enhance the audience experience.

Jonathan Moffett

If you like to have a little science, I can cook up a mean story about the effects of sustained emotional arousal, especially when you use "psych-up" methods to overcome natural lulls in bodily rhythms. This can impact your physical condition over the long term.

This is an interesting topic. I've got a friend who's currently writing an mvp album and soon to be utilizing many of the lessons discussed here at the forum over the years to see if he can gain and build on some traction. If you'd like to explain this, I'd be interested and he probably would too.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
This is an interesting topic. I've got a friend who's currently writing an mvp album and soon to be utilizing many of the lessons discussed here at the forum over the years to see if he can gain and build on some traction. If you'd like to explain this, I'd be interested and he probably would too.

Think back to a time that something scared the hell out of you. It could be a movie, could be a haunted house. Could be a time that you saw something out of the corner of your eye that made you jump.

Nothing happened to you. Nothing actually hurt you or caused you pain.

You felt your heart racing didn't you? If you took your pulse, it would be way up. If you did blood work, you'd see high levels of stress hormones.

If you think about an animal, its body works by a natural clock. These are the Circadian rhythms that make you feel energetic at some parts of the day and lazy at other times.

Human beings are pretty unique since we can interfere in the natural patterns. A cat or a dog won't get anxious wondering about how it's going to pay the rent. When it gets tired in the afternoon, it'll just go to sleep. Us, we'll slam espresso shots and Modafinil and blast loud music to grind on through.

It turns out that the two things are related. That is, the ability to artificially pump ourselves up with music and chemicals is also creating real changes in your body's functioning. You're increasing stress hormones, other chemicals that signal inflammation, and generally keeping your whole system in "alert" mode when it really needs to unwind.

When you do this, you're taking a little bit out of the bank of reserves that your body has accumulated over time. That's not just a metaphor. There's a lot of work in biology and psychology which show that keeping yourself "on" all the time, ignoring the natural cycles, actually taxes your physical condition.

If you've ever taken a long road-trip, you've experienced this first hand. How do you feel after eight, ten, twelve hours behind the wheel? Like a used-up towel. You didn't "do" anything. It's not like you were baling hay or working sheet metal all day long. But you're beat.

Two things are happening when you try to stay switched on all the time. You're keeping yourself at a constant "stressed" condition, and you're interrupting your body's natural ups and downs.

This means you can actually cause physical burnout by staying emotionally motivated all the time.

When you burn out physically, your mental state goes with it. Ever tried to focus on something when you are physically exhausted?

That's where the death spiral kicks on.

You aren't on point when you're physically tired. So you drink more energy drinks, blast the music harder and louder... and you make it even worse.

The thing about stress is that your body can handle a little bit. In fact it needs a little bit. Avoiding emotional arousal entirely is just as bad as living in it all the time.

But I used to see all the guys in the gym who couldn't do a workout without turning the dial up to 11. I see all these entrepreneurs who think they need to feel motivated for 15 hours a day to get anything done. And that's what will run you into the ground.

Learning how to keep that energy in reserve most of the time and bring it out when you need it is where the magic happens.

G

Guest3722A

Think back to a time that something scared the hell out of you. It could be a movie, could be a haunted house. Could be a time that you saw something out of the corner of your eye that made you jump.

Nothing happened to you. Nothing actually hurt you or caused you pain.

You felt your heart racing didn't you? If you took your pulse, it would be way up. If you did blood work, you'd see high levels of stress hormones.

If you think about an animal, its body works by a natural clock. These are the Circadian rhythms that make you feel energetic at some parts of the day and lazy at other times.

Human beings are pretty unique since we can interfere in the natural patterns. A cat or a dog won't get anxious wondering about how it's going to pay the rent. When it gets tired in the afternoon, it'll just go to sleep. Us, we'll slam espresso shots and Modafinil and blast loud music to grind on through.

It turns out that the two things are related. That is, the ability to artificially pump ourselves up with music and chemicals is also creating real changes in your body's functioning. You're increasing stress hormones, other chemicals that signal inflammation, and generally keeping your whole system in "alert" mode when it really needs to unwind.

When you do this, you're taking a little bit out of the bank of reserves that your body has accumulated over time. That's not just a metaphor. There's a lot of work in biology and psychology which show that keeping yourself "on" all the time, ignoring the natural cycles, actually taxes your physical condition.

If you've ever taken a long road-trip, you've experienced this first hand. How do you feel after eight, ten, twelve hours behind the wheel? Like a used-up towel. You didn't "do" anything. It's not like you were baling hay or working sheet metal all day long. But you're beat.

Two things are happening when you try to stay switched on all the time. You're keeping yourself at a constant "stressed" condition, and you're interrupting your body's natural ups and downs.

This means you can actually cause physical burnout by staying emotionally motivated all the time.

When you burn out physically, your mental state goes with it. Ever tried to focus on something when you are physically exhausted?

That's where the death spiral kicks on.

You aren't on point when you're physically tired. So you drink more energy drinks, blast the music harder and louder... and you make it even worse.

The thing about stress is that your body can handle a little bit. In fact it needs a little bit. Avoiding emotional arousal entirely is just as bad as living in it all the time.

But I used to see all the guys in the gym who couldn't do a workout without turning the dial up to 11. I see all these entrepreneurs who think they need to feel motivated for 15 hours a day to get anything done. And that's what will run you into the ground.

Learning how to keep that energy in reserve most of the time and bring it out when you need it is where the magic happens.
I see what you're saying. Do you think it's possible to make tunes addictive like alcohol and nicotine? I know there's super-fans out there for groups like say Floyd or Zeppelin. And rightfully so seeing that both write masterpiece work. But I don't think they write in a way that creates physical addiction. Is that even possible? I know this is way out there but if the chemicals in our brains can be altered with similar stimuli, you'd think there could be a way.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
That's an interesting question.

(Sorry I don't have a good answer to it. I could make all kinds of guesses, but it would just be guessing.)

G

Guest3722A

That's an interesting question.

(Sorry I don't have a good answer to it. I could make all kinds of guesses, but it would just be guessing.)
Guess away if you're feeling it. It does seem that people are kinda easy to condition. Look at what Facebook did with it's use of likes and how it throws people into a habit forming loop that begins with a contribution that may lead to a variable reward triggered by an audible signal on a phone and a little red visual notification that when clicked shows that others have approved. Acceptance into the tribe has been gained and the loop most likely will be re-entered with additional contribution. With the way music as we know it is created, there's no listener contribution. But why not?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Post Malone - Congratulations
38 Special - Hold on loosely
- When I took a finance course, the instructor said for us to remember this song because regarding your money, you should hold on loosely, meaning, don't hold on to your money so tight - give, be charitable and also stick to a budget and don't blow it all (don't let go)
Van Halen - Right now
Russ - Since I was broke
Dirty Heads - Vacation
POD - Alive
REO Speedwagon - Roll with the changes

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
thread necro +1

The new Tool album dropped a couple weeks ago, after 13 years of waiting. It's gone on to unseat T Swift as the #1 album, the first time in a year a rock album has been at the top.

Best track from the album, IMO

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ClCaPmAA7s

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
thread necro +1

The new Tool album dropped a couple weeks ago, after 13 years of waiting. It's gone on to unseat T Swift as the #1 album, the first time in a year a rock album has been at the top.

Best track from the album, IMO

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ClCaPmAA7s
Damn, not only do they have a new album I didn't know of, but it looks like this is the top rated Tool album of all time:

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
My go to pick me up song by my favorite group. Dare I say my favorite singer out of all of them

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5pAemlhUc

:star:So baby dry your eyes,
save all The tears you've cried
Oh that's what dreams are made of
'Cause we belong in a world that must be strong
Oh that's what dreams are made of :star:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.