The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moving Out, Where To?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

SectorFourteen

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 15, 2023
Hola amigos! My name is Joe and I'm a 21 year old entrepreneur.

(please excuse any grammar errors, wrote this up quickly)

For a little context: I went to college (2022) after I graduated high school (2021) because I didn't know what I wanted to do. During my 1st semester in college, I started my first online business with 1 of my friends. By the time the 2nd semester came around, I had already stopped going to class/lectures (only went in for tests, etc) because I was so invested in building my business. After my first year of college ended, I decided I wanted to take a gap year (I wasn't planning on going back, wasn't really for me). But it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows; despite decent success, our company had a lot of issues internally and externally (mainly because we didn't know what we where doing). It got so bad that we ultimately ended up selling the company 4 months into my "gap year" just to get out of the bad situation (lots of conflict within the team and we had very poor margins). I came away with a decent payday so I was content with the decision considering how much I learned during the process and the confidence I gained in terms of my ability to be an entrepreneur. A few weeks after we sold, I discovered MJ DeMarco. Then everything clicked. DeMarco's books unlocked a deep passion and understanding for business/entrepreneurship/building. I read all 3 in less than 6 days. I spent the next few months learning and developing important skills.

That brings me to today!

I live with my parents in my hometown of Detroit. I moved back in after my first year of college ended/the beginning of my gap year. I'm very lucky to say that my parents are extremely supportive and believe in me 100%. They didn't bat an eye when I said I plan to take a year off from college. In fact, I know they like me living at home and would prefer me to stay a few more years.

With that being said, I want to move out. Don't get me wrong, my parents are awesome and I like my hometown. But I truly don’t think it was a coincidence that I randomly started my first business right after I moved out and was living on my own (I had an apartment at college). As much as I didn’t care for college, living on my own was freakin' awesome. It was almost as if living on my own flipped a switch inside me that made me so much more creative and productive (not sure why lol). I think my current environment (living in hometown with parents) is holding me back.

My favorite thread on this forum is "Move by MJ DeMarco" (very relatable and solidifies my belief that I need to MOVE)

The thing I'm having a hard time with is actually deciding where I want to go (location wise)! There's just so many options.

Due to my current work situation, I don't need to go to any certain location. I'm currently working on a CENTS software startup (no cashflow yet) so there isn't a specific location that would benefit the company (since its online, I can do it from anywhere). And I do freelance work that is also online.

I typically don't have issues being indecisive but I am definitely being indecisive about this (feels like a very important decision)! I remember reading about DeMarco's story when he moved to Phoenix because that's where he has always wanted to go. Unfortunately, I can't relate to him on that aspect; I don't have a desired place in my head.

My financial situation: I currently have $7,000 to my name and bring in around $2,000-$3,000 a month from freelance work. I expect my total cashflow to grow per month, especially if I move out. Luckily, I have ZERO debt from my 1 year of college. I have a credit score of 750+.

Any general suggestions? Any city suggestions? Any tips? I'm just looking for some new perspectives.

Thank you!
I love the FASTLANE community <3

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hola amigos! My name is Joe and I'm a 21 year old entrepreneur.

(please excuse any grammar errors, wrote this up quickly)

For a little context: I went to college (2022) after I graduated high school (2021) because I didn't know what I wanted to do. During my 1st semester in college, I started my first online business with 1 of my friends. By the time the 2nd semester came around, I had already stopped going to class/lectures (only went in for tests, etc) because I was so invested in building my business. After my first year of college ended, I decided I wanted to take a gap year (I wasn't planning on going back, wasn't really for me). But it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows; despite decent success, our company had a lot of issues internally and externally (mainly because we didn't know what we where doing). It got so bad that we ultimately ended up selling the company 4 months into my "gap year" just to get out of the bad situation (lots of conflict within the team and we had very poor margins). I came away with a decent payday so I was content with the decision considering how much I learned during the process and the confidence I gained in terms of my ability to be an entrepreneur. A few weeks after we sold, I discovered MJ DeMarco. Then everything clicked. DeMarco's books unlocked a deep passion and understanding for business/entrepreneurship/building. I read all 3 in less than 6 days. I spent the next few months learning and developing important skills.

That brings me to today!

I live with my parents in my hometown of Detroit. I moved back in after my first year of college ended/the beginning of my gap year. I'm very lucky to say that my parents are extremely supportive and believe in me 100%. They didn't bat an eye when I said I plan to take a year off from college. In fact, I know they like me living at home and would prefer me to stay a few more years.

With that being said, I want to move out. Don't get me wrong, my parents are awesome and I like my hometown. But I truly don’t think it was a coincidence that I randomly started my first business right after I moved out and was living on my own (I had an apartment at college). As much as I didn’t care for college, living on my own was freakin' awesome. It was almost as if living on my own flipped a switch inside me that made me so much more creative and productive (not sure why lol). I think my current environment (living in hometown with parents) is holding me back.

My favorite thread on this forum is "Move by MJ DeMarco" (very relatable and solidifies my belief that I need to MOVE)

The thing I'm having a hard time with is actually deciding where I want to go (location wise)! There's just so many options.

Due to my current work situation, I don't need to go to any certain location. I'm currently working on a CENTS software startup (no cashflow yet) so there isn't a specific location that would benefit the company (since its online, I can do it from anywhere). And I do freelance work that is also online.

I typically don't have issues being indecisive but I am definitely being indecisive about this (feels like a very important decision)! I remember reading about DeMarco's story when he moved to Phoenix because that's where he has always wanted to go. Unfortunately, I can't relate to him on that aspect; I don't have a desired place in my head.

My financial situation: I currently have $7,000 to my name and bring in around $2,000-$3,000 a month from freelance work. I expect my total cashflow to grow per month, especially if I move out. Luckily, I have ZERO debt from my 1 year of college. I have a credit score of 750+.

Any general suggestions? Any city suggestions? Any tips? I'm just looking for some new perspectives.

Thank you!
I love the FASTLANE community <3
It sounds like your problem is more basic than where to move. Your post doesn't feel like you have any direction as to the next chapter in your life. It's like you are way too comfortable where you are. You didn't talk about challenges or problem-solving. You left out what you want. I didn't feel any burning desires from you or a fire in your belly.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
If you're location-independent, have cash flow, and have no idea where you want to be, I highly recommend purchasing an older campervan and living on the road for a year or two. Yeah, it's cliche AF right now, but I genuinely believe someone such as yourself would benefit tremendously.

Otherwise, unless you move to bufu, USA, you're going to be paying 2k+/mo. in rent, so you may as well just throw a dart at a map of the US and go for it.

Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.