The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moving out, could use some advice.

Anything related to matters of the mind

GivingItMyAll

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Dec 14, 2021
On March 31st I'm going to light a fire under my a$$ by moving out of my parents house. I've many reasons for doing this but among the most relevant are (1) to stop relying on the comfortable existence my parents can provide for me and (2) because I live in literally the worst state to start a business in.

Right now I'm debating on whether Mississippi (one of the lowest rent rates in the country) or Georgia (cheap state to live in while offering good business opportunity) is the best choice. If you have any input on a state that has a low cost of living while also being viable to set up a business in, please let me know.

I'd like to ask anyone who has moved for similar reasons for some advice. I have a general plan that includes saving up at least $5k, selling old belongings on craigslist, gathering necessary documents, cancelling gym memberships, and while I'd rather wait until I move to the new state to setup my actual business, I'm going to experiment with money generating ventures like copywriting or crypto currencies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
because I live in literally the worst state to start a business in.

New Jersey?
Right now I'm debating on whether Mississippi (one of the lowest rent rates in the country) or Georgia (cheap state to live in while offering good business opportunity) is the best choice.

An improvement over NJ.

Check out state tax rankings...

Personally if I was starting over I'd be looking at: FL, NC, UT, AZ, GA, TX, and TN.

easy850

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Aug 8, 2021
I reccommend Florida. California weather with Texas mindset citizens. No state income tax.

The Tampa bay area is a great place to set up shop in, my friend owns a boat repair business in Wesley Chapel and is doing fairly well for his age.

GivingItMyAll

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Dec 14, 2021
New Jersey?

An improvement over NJ.

Check out state tax rankings...

Personally if I was starting over I'd be looking at: FL, NC, UT, AZ, GA, TX, and TN.
Yeah I live in Jersey. Your list of states is interesting. For example, wouldn't you consider Wyoming since it ranks number one for best business tax climate?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yeah I live in Jersey. Your list of states is interesting. For example, wouldn't you consider Wyoming since it ranks number one for best business tax climate?

Wyoming is great, but there isn't a lot to do there. And housing is pretty expensive, a low-end townhouse in Jackson Hole will run ya $1,350,000. Example:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
491%
Aug 13, 2018
Wyoming is great, but there isn't a lot to do there. And housing is pretty expensive, a low-end townhouse in Jackson Hole will run ya $1,350,000. Example:

Jackson Hole is an outlier, though. If you go to Cheyenne, you're within two hours of the Denver International Airport, weather is almost as good as it is in Fort Collins, CO, and that kind of money will snag you something like this!
Screenshot_20220104-104324.jpg

GivingItMyAll

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Dec 14, 2021
I reccommend Florida. California weather with Texas mindset citizens. No state income tax.

The Tampa bay area is a great place to set up shop in, my friend owns a boat repair business in Wesley Chapel and is doing fairly well for his age.
Hey, what do you mean by Texas mindset citizens? Curious

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
Most places in Mississipi are a bad place to live. High poverty, high crime. Be careful

easy850

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Aug 8, 2021
Generally an attitude of "leave me the f*ck alone" and take your government with you.
Yes, here in Florida we never even locked down. Schools closed yes but there was no government closure of businesses. Basically business as usual as if covid didn't exist.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.