The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Motivating your colleagues, friends, and family.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 31, 2017
Canada
Here's something that I recently posted on my personal Instagram. I don't think that people liked hearing it.

"Apparently, 75% of people hate their jobs. I believe it because I've seen it. There was a time when I was the guy telling people to follow their dreams, and leave the career where they are miserable. I would tell them how I'm just a regular guy like them, and that if I can do it then so can they! That's not the case though. I realized that I can't know what it's like to be someone else. To me, I am just a regular guy. But my definition of "regular" could be someone else's definition of "F*cking crazy".

I know several people who's chosen career path is the furthest thing from what they love to do. In my opinion, they even have the talent to make a living off their passion. But they just don't believe in themselves. They make excuses for why they can't do it before they even begin. It makes me sad to see so much potential lose the battle to their demons of self doubt.

But I've come to realize what a "regular guy" is: someone who just lets their dreams be dreams. Everyone was given big dreams, but only a few were gifted the courage and the grit to go after them. I shouldn't have to try to motivate people to pursue their big dreams. If they had what it takes then they would already be doing it."

It's true that without books like Unscripted , the Compound Effect, and several others I would probably not have been able to escape the rat race. But I went looking for those books and the knowledge. It didn't come looking for me. Even before I ever became an entrepreneur, I was always an outsider. I was always the black sheep of the family. As a kid, I was always building things in my room or taking things apart to see the inner workings. I always had big "unrealistic" dreams and I made an effort to go after them. I never understood why other people didn't go after their dreams. Even before I ever read TMF , I remember thinking "...but I want my sports car now! Not when I'm 60! Why is everyone telling me to plan for my retirement and invest in RRSPs?".

This is what leads me to believe that it does take a different kind of person to have a F*ck-This-Event and do something to change their life, as opposed to just accepting their fate in the 9-5 system. I don't think that our colleagues, friends, and family really have what it takes. They have to want it for themselves. What are your thoughts on this? Do you try to motivate your friends and family to escape the rat race? Why or why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
With the exception of my wife, I'll drop a few nuggets or suggestions here and there, but beyond that I don't try to motivate people to do anything in their lives. It's entirely up to them.

This kind of lifestyle isn't for everyone. Only those with the entrepreneurial spirit will press on beyond their first, or 10th failure, to finally reach success. That sort of spirit isn't something you can impart. They have to cultivate it themselves.

The best thing you can do is be a beacon of light in the darkness. Lead by example, and answer questions when asked.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Here's something that I recently posted on my personal Instagram. I don't think that people liked hearing it.

"Apparently, 75% of people hate their jobs. I believe it because I've seen it. There was a time when I was the guy telling people to follow their dreams, and leave the career where they are miserable. I would tell them how I'm just a regular guy like them, and that if I can do it then so can they! That's not the case though. I realized that I can't know what it's like to be someone else. To me, I am just a regular guy. But my definition of "regular" could be someone else's definition of "f*cking crazy".

I know several people who's chosen career path is the furthest thing from what they love to do. In my opinion, they even have the talent to make a living off their passion. But they just don't believe in themselves. They make excuses for why they can't do it before they even begin. It makes me sad to see so much potential lose the battle to their demons of self doubt.

But I've come to realize what a "regular guy" is: someone who just lets their dreams be dreams. Everyone was given big dreams, but only a few were gifted the courage and the grit to go after them. I shouldn't have to try to motivate people to pursue their big dreams. If they had what it takes then they would already be doing it."

It's true that without books like Unscripted , the Compound Effect, and several others I would probably not have been able to escape the rat race. But I went looking for those books and the knowledge. It didn't come looking for me. Even before I ever became an entrepreneur, I was always an outsider. I was always the black sheep of the family. As a kid, I was always building things in my room or taking things apart to see the inner workings. I always had big "unrealistic" dreams and I made an effort to go after them. I never understood why other people didn't go after their dreams. Even before I ever read TMF , I remember thinking "...but I want my sports car now! Not when I'm 60! Why is everyone telling me to plan for my retirement and invest in RRSPs?".

This is what leads me to believe that it does take a different kind of person to have a f*ck-This-Event and do something to change their life, as opposed to just accepting their fate in the 9-5 system. I don't think that our colleagues, friends, and family really have what it takes. They have to want it for themselves. What are your thoughts on this? Do you try to motivate your friends and family to escape the rat race? Why or why not?
Here's the truth: not all jobs will bring you happiness, and not all people can be motivated until they hit rock bottom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.