The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO I'm starting! Told all my friends and family

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

Super excited, I'm actually starting. I just turned 20, four days ago, and joined Rob's FoxWebSchool. I read The Millionaire Fastlane about a year ago, and have been fantasizing about becoming an entrepreneur ever since, but had no idea where to start. So I'm starting with Rob's course, to gain experience and momentum. As a lot of you might already know from here, that program is about using webdesign as a stepping stone into entrepreneurship.

Dropped out of high school at 16 because I didn't like where life was taking me, and since that have been working minimum wage, traveling around the world, and dreaming about starting my own business. No more dreaming! I told my parents, sister and my friends that by this time next year I'm going to be earning enough to live in Manhattan, because that seems to me as probably the best place to really build your business, with all the business folk around.

Anyway, I'll post my progress to keep myself accountable. Step 1: Earn enough to live in Manhattan, through webdesign, by next year. That'll teach me a lot of useful skills. So far, I've learned the basics of website coding, joined the FoxWebSchool Sales Legends program, and found someone to make my first portfolio website for.

Cheers

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JacobNZ

New Contributor
Apr 25, 2020
New Zealand
Hey everyone,

Super excited, I'm actually starting. I just turned 20, four days ago, and joined Rob's FoxWebSchool. I read The Millionaire Fastlane about a year ago, and have been fantasizing about becoming an entrepreneur ever since, but had no idea where to start. So I'm starting with Rob's course, to gain experience and momentum. As a lot of you might already know from here, that program is about using webdesign as a stepping stone into entrepreneurship.

Dropped out of high school at 16 because I didn't like where life was taking me, and since that have been working minimum wage, traveling around the world, and dreaming about starting my own business. No more dreaming! I told my parents, sister and my friends that by this time next year I'm going to be earning enough to live in Manhattan, because that seems to me as probably the best place to really build your business, with all the business folk around.

Anyway, I'll post my progress to keep myself accountable. Step 1: Earn enough to live in Manhattan, through webdesign, by next year. That'll teach me a lot of useful skills. So far, I've learned the basics of website coding, joined the FoxWebSchool Sales Legends program, and found someone to make my first portfolio website for.

Cheers
Good stuff, stay persistent and consistent and I have no doubt you will achieve your goal. All the best.

Nick perry01

New Contributor
Apr 6, 2020
Kansas city,missouri
Hey everyone,

Cheers
congrats bruh. You're life is going somewhere

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Week #1

Hey there,

Alright so technically I started learning code just over a month ago, but this is week one of the course, and week one of being 20. Also apparently you don't need to know code to make websites, you can just use wordpress (never heard of that before, I'm new to this). So I stopped learning code, at least for now.

I'm going to make a free website for my grandma, she takes care of elderly people, freelance, and could use a website to get more clients. That'll be my first portfolio project. She's going to pay for the website hosting, I sent her a link + instructions, and then I can start.

Got in contact with a lead generation company that was recommended by someone in Fox's course, for 60 dollars they'll find you a hundred companies in a specified niche and location who's websites look like they could be improved, so that'll save a lot of time probably. They also make the websites, so I want to see, once I get going, if I can outsource that to them, and only focus on making the deals / sales calls. Just something to look into, but potentially a way to earn a lot more than if I spend my time also making the websites, we'll see about that later.

For the rest, just working my way through the course videos.

Cheers

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Hey everyone,

Cheers
Amazing vision brother. Keep up the hustle and perfect the sales game. As "CEO" you're a glorified salesman, and no matter what venture you end up building you will be your number 1 sales guy. SaaS is an amazing product. Dont feel like you need to move to NYC, if you build a SaaS product you can do it from anywhere. Go door to door and find out what businesses need, home owners need, and use your drive to build a product that you can manage from anywhere and execute!

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
They also make the websites

Don't outsource this directly, control the outsource. Find a team of developers in Eastern Europe or Asia. Why outsource and lose the power to have control over the team. Then you can do the sales and grow organically. You hire 1 guy who can do a wordpress site for $250-$500 per site and you charge $2000+ learn some SEO tips and one-time fixes with plugins and charge extra $500 to just do the one-time SEO things. Easy $$

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Manhattan??

Answer this question. Is it easier to start a business when your rent is $3000 a month or $600 a month?

You will be working a job you hate for too many hours and will not have enough time for your business. So much is done online anyways, why would you live in the place where your dollar earned is so much weaker? You could make the same dollars and spend Baht or Pesos and have much more free time to dedicate towards your idea.

I started my business when I was living at home and moved out once I was making money. If I moved out earlier I would've likely gotten a job so I could afford to live and would've had less time for my business.

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Don't outsource this directly, control the outsource. Find a team of developers in Eastern Europe or Asia. Why outsource and lose the power to have control over the team. Then you can do the sales and grow organically. You hire 1 guy who can do a wordpress site for $250-$500 per site and you charge $2000+ learn some SEO tips and one-time fixes with plugins and charge extra $500 to just do the one-time SEO things. Easy $$
Thanks, yes I was also thinking that it seems better to directly hire freelancers / employees. After all, if you outsource it to another company, and they stop making websites for you, for whatever reason, there's a big problem all of a sudden. I'm using this as a learning tool, probably not as my actual fastlane business, but it's still good to make it as fastlane as possible, also for practice, and outsourcing to a company seems to go directly against control. So thanks for that pointer!

Either way I figure I first need to start making websites myself that give a lot of value to clients, and that I can charge a lot for. Both as a fallback and so that I can properly decide who to hire, and coach them if there are some small parts of their websites that aren't quite optimal. So I'll probably only start hiring in at least a couple months, but it's good to think about so I don't get trapped by the wrong decision when I do start.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Manhattan??

Answer this question. Is it easier to start a business when your rent is $3000 a month or $600 a month?

You will be working a job you hate for too many hours and will not have enough time for your business. So much is done online anyways, why would you live in the place where your dollar earned is so much weaker? You could make the same dollars and spend Baht or Pesos and have much more free time to dedicate towards your idea.

I started my business when I was living at home and moved out once I was making money. If I moved out earlier I would've likely gotten a job so I could afford to live and would've had less time for my business.
Ha! Good point.

Yeah it's mainly just to have a specific goal, earn enough with webdesign to be able to live there, but it's true even if I'd be earning enough it's still a lot less stress to live somewhere cheaper. Besides, you can save a lot more money and time that you can then use for example to try out other businesses. So I guess I'll change my goal to "make enough with this business to theoretically be able to live in Manhattan by next year". One year is also not necessary, but I think it's good to set a time that's pretty close in the future so you can't afford to waste any time.

Yeah me too, I'm living at home now, no expenses, makes it a lot easier to focus on learning this stuff since I'm not earning anything at all yet.

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Week #2

Wow, it feels like a lot longer than just week 2 hahah. That's a good sign though, means there's lots of new impressions.

Started building my first portfolio website, for my grandma, to help her get more clients (she helps people who need extra care at home). Taking a side course on increasing website effectiveness that someone recommended: Landing Page Design & Conversion Rate Optimization 2018 if anyone's interested. Seems solid so far.

It's a slow process building this website since it's my first one, but I'm really learning how to make good sites now. Best way to learn is by doing.

Just putting in the work, learning. Talk to you next week.

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Week #3

Completed that Udemy course, was really helpful in getting an idea of how to design sites to create sales / leads. Went through it very carefully, taking notes on everything and sorting them by subject. This way I'll be able to put the information I learn from other resources in the same summary, and in the end I'll have a very handy reference book.

Worked on that site, I'm starting to get an idea of what I'm doing now, and what to focus on. Using youtube and google to find mini tutorials whenever I get stuck on something.

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Week #4

Sent out 50 cold emails, response rate = 0. Guess that's how it goes when you're new. However, barbers in my country have opened up again, so I made a list of barbers without websites, according to google maps. I'll go talk to them in person until I find someone who wants a (free) website.

Got the layout and stuff pretty much set for my first website. Still got to do the copywriting and some last details, add some pictures and then that's ready to go and I'll have a first portfolio piece.

Also, got a bit in a funk the second half of Thursday and the first half of Friday, but I'm reading Unscripted and, perfectly timed, got to the section about defining your "why's", so I sat down and really thought about why I'm doing this and made a list. That helped a lot actually. Here it is:

My "Why's" for getting good at web design
- Freedom and the ability to live anywhere (i.e. have a bed and good food when not living with my parents or in a super cheap country, as well as having a place near a beach or something with lots of attractive people - won't expand, this is a business forum, but what do you expect I'm a young guy that's part of my motivation)
- Learn business skills so I can grow an actual business later on
- Gain a deep confidence, through experience, that I can achieve worthy goals
- Not have to worry about money
-
No boss, nobody that can tell you what to do
- No more minimum wage, can travel to more expensive places without sleeping in tents / on roofs / on the streets (did that last year, it actually was quite awesome but it did show me that a bed and pasta sauce are quite nice. I'm not legitimately poor, my parents have good middle class jobs, but I wanted to travel and personally was broke.)

That got me going quite well again.

Anyway, that's that for this week, next week I'm going out until I find a second portfolio client, and will work on getting that first website done.

Lyinx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Week #4

Sent out 50 cold emails, response rate = 0. Guess that's how it goes when you're new. However, barbers in my country have opened up again, so I made a list of barbers without websites, according to google maps. I'll go talk to them in person until I find someone who wants a (free) website.

Got the layout and stuff pretty much set for my first website. Still got to do the copywriting and some last details, add some pictures and then that's ready to go and I'll have a first portfolio piece.

Also, got a bit in a funk the second half of Thursday and the first half of Friday, but I'm reading Unscripted and, perfectly timed, got to the section about defining your "why's", so I sat down and really thought about why I'm doing this and made a list. That helped a lot actually. Here it is:

My "Why's" for getting good at web design
- Freedom and the ability to live anywhere (i.e. have a bed and good food when not living with my parents or in a super cheap country, as well as having a place near a beach or something with lots of attractive people - won't expand, this is a business forum, but what do you expect I'm a young guy that's part of my motivation)
- Learn business skills so I can grow an actual business later on
- Gain a deep confidence, through experience, that I can achieve worthy goals
- Not have to worry about money
-
No boss, nobody that can tell you what to do
- No more minimum wage, can travel to more expensive places without sleeping in tents / on roofs / on the streets (did that last year, it actually was quite awesome but it did show me that a bed and pasta sauce are quite nice. I'm not legitimately poor, my parents have good middle class jobs, but I wanted to travel and personally was broke.)

That got me going quite well again.

Anyway, that's that for this week, next week I'm going out until I find a second portfolio client, and will work on getting that first website done.
Love your drive, following along... :)
I have experience with physical products/manfacturing, if you ever have any questions feel free to reach out (and yes, we need an improved website, and no, it's not in your niche of websites, it's based on an a different platform (e-commerce) that is constantly being updated :) )

OP
OP
L

littleboy

Contributor
Mar 24, 2020
Netherlands
Love your drive, following along... :)
I have experience with physical products/manfacturing, if you ever have any questions feel free to reach out (and yes, we need an improved website, and no, it's not in your niche of websites, it's based on an a different platform (e-commerce) that is constantly being updated :) )
Awesome, thanks man!

Once I know what I'm doing I'd be happy to take a look and give pointers on your site or help you out with any questions about websites.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
In 2016 when I was doing dropshipping (fairly successful at the time) and a very close friend of...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@Lyinx lol man, okay. Just to make it clear to everyone else, I'm not involved with...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock