The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MorningRod - What do you think about my invention?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I think it's a good idea but unfortunately named. Maybe it's just my juvenile mind, but I definitely would not have guessed the function based on the name.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Trade

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 16, 2019
Sydney Australia
Very good points. Thank you for your insight.

However.

In the first example, you say I can patent the buttons, for example, which may be used on other non-related products. Let's say I use existing buttons from a different product, which I have not invented. I haven't really invented anything then - I have combined existing patented products in a new way though. So would I owe royalties to the patent holders of the hairdryer and the button designer then? What would "my" patent be - since it is a new product that didn't exist before.

What I meant by the buttons / controller is, are they the right ones for the Walmart Dryer, model 101. In other words, do they get hot to the touch, or could they cause burns to a small child after 5-10 mins use, as does the Dryer itself, could it cause someone an injury. Do you have to turn off the Dryer and wait 5mins, for it too cool down before using again. So youv'e done your homework and you figure, the buttons on your brothers Walmart Soldering Iron, model 102, would work far far better, they dont get hot, but the iron itself does. So you do a little button swapping to prove your theory correct. (Your brothers at work, he will never know, plus you dont care if he does anyway, you dont like him). You haven't invented a new button or controller, you have simply found a better button / controller that better suits the Dryer (see 1). In the real world, it's called product improvement. Companies who make and sell appliances are looking for product improvement ideas.

(1) (but you could add a controller to control the heat on the Walmart 102, ie; variable temp from 90 degrees to 700 degrees, for different items needing soldering).!!! Just a thought.

So, who do you owe royalties too. No-one, you haven't invented anything. You have simply made an improvement to an already existing item. You have however, just created an income for yourself. Find out who makes the buttons on the Soldering Iron, and approach them, say you have a potential market for there heat resistant buttons, would they be interested in an agency agreement. That's your first income stream, now for the second. Approach the Hair Dryer supplier and tell them about your product improvement idea, hell why you are at it, approach all suppliers of Hair Dryers. Same thing, see if they are interested in an agency agreement, they use the heat resistant button on their Dryers. Sales improve across the range by 30%, your now getting royalties from 1 -50 sources. A seller and suppliers. Ka-Ching.

The same applies for the second product. I did not invent the phone or the holographic image projector.

This equally fascinating and equally frustrating. But I am seeing things in a way that I haven't before, and I have read dozens of books on inventing and patents. None of them looked at things this way - I guess that's why I kept buying books looking for the complete answer.

As far as the curtain rods which is the topic of this thread; the same would apply. This could be a combination of already existing products - the rods, the motor, the control, etc. And what if I took that finished invention and, say, made it waterproof so it could be used for a shower curtain or an outside patio? Same invention - but then again, not.

Same madness, applies for the curtain rods, motors, controls etc. Remember not all windows are the same width apart, nor curtain drop, so a stronger motor might be required, as will rods, fittings and screws. Remember curtains weigh something, everything does. Wheres the power supply going to come from to open and close the curtains. Maybe transformers will be needed, 240v will not make a 12v motor work, but it will spin bloody fast for 3 seconds and then burst into flames. Think of the many combinations required in that last argument.!!!

I read about the paper clip being invented. Then someone came along and cut ribs into it so it would hold the papers better without slipping. The new paper clip was considered a new invention, in spite of the fact that it was an exact copy of the other paper clip, except for the added feature...

The paper clip was invented as you say as a simple piece of steel bent in two, then someone made an improvement, by adding crinkles. There was also another improvement, where rubber ends were added, to stop women stabing themselves in the head. Regardless of how many improvements or modifications have been made to the humble hairclip, whoever invented it first and whomever (now) still holds that original patent, (annual fees up to date etc) be it family, or a trust, they will still get royalty payments. When you lodge a patent such as a hairclip, the patent office will see if your patent is identical to one already registered. If it is, they will advise and "why".

That is not the end of the world, if it is identical, they are simply pointing it out. You then have to figure out how to reply. It could be as simple as a button or a controller.

Thanks for the insight. I can't wait for your response!

Mark Trade

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 16, 2019
Sydney Australia
My apologies to the original poster. I had no idea this would end up in your topic, it originally started in my messages. Admin / Mods, please feel free to move to another topic or start another topic named Patent Pitfalls or something. Thks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.