The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

money vs morality

Anything related to matters of the mind

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Trying to get a feel on how a certain product might be received in the business community. I have an idea for a line of products directed at the "urban" population. It would be a big seller right off the bat. downside would be it would make police officers jobs harder and might make the streets more dangerous and in a way give drug dealers an easier time transporting controlled substances. That being said it would be a line of products not just one. Marketing it would be easy. being near L.A and Vegas I could open up trendy little shops geared towards that market. Im within a few hours of pheonix and san diego as well and a website would be a serious reality too. Would you design and sell a product that may be used for illegal activities? The whole thing is how do I market it a product thats main purpose is concealment but not have the liability of when someone uses it as such

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't want to fan into flame the decay of society. As much as you might think it's a victim-less crime, the crack babies and heroin addicts might beg to differ. If you're going to spend 24-7 working on your dream business, do you really want it to be something like that? The kids at school draw pictures of their dads. One kid's dad is a firefighter. One kid draws a picture of a doctor. Your kid draws... a picture of your contribution to illicit industries that wreck people's lives?

I was going to try and respond without commenting on the moral aspects. However, I'd be doing to a disservice if I encouraged you to walk down a path that leads yourself, and others, into darker places.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
I don't want to fan into flame the decay of society. As much as you might think it's a victim-less crime, the crack babies and heroin addicts might beg to differ. If you're going to spend 24-7 working on your dream business, do you really want it to be something like that? The kids at school draw pictures of their dads. One kid's dad is a firefighter. One kid draws a picture of a doctor. Your kid draws... a picture of your contribution to illicit industries that wreck people's lives?

I was going to try and respond without commenting on the moral aspects. However, I'd be doing to a disservice if I encouraged you to walk down a path that leads yourself, and others, into darker places.

As much as I try to find a legal use for it I cant. you make a good point. a very good point.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
As much as I try to find a legal use for it I cant. you make a good point. a very good point.

Your gut is already answering your question.

When you rest your head at night, the last thing you want is an auto repeat of images and faces of people that have been harmed by your products. Haunting.

So take this time to put a stake in the ground... a marker for the kind of business you want to build to change the world for the better. This moment can be a defining moment for you if you let it.

Last edited:

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Morality wins every time.

As Gary Vaynerchuk says, "it's not about how much you make, it's about how you make your money." Build a lasting legacy your family would be proud of.

G

GuestUser450

Technology is amoral not immoral, so if there's value in the product, it can probably be applied ethically in another vertical.

If the value is not in the product but in aiding and abetting, well...there's your answer.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
was brainstorming how to make money off the black lives matter bullshit . one thing lead to another and it just went crazy. grew up in the ghetto so i understand the market i'd be selling to . As small a market as it is , it would be a hot seller. did some research and the last thing I want is to be labeled as a threat to society.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
If you do something, anything, that you don't really....I mean deep inside...really feel good about, it will eat at you like a cancer. You may not even be aware of it until so much damage is done that you can never fully recover.

I've met some people doing things they really don't feel good about and they flat out, adamantly deny that it affects them in any negative way whatsoever....they are the ONLY ones that can't see it.

Everything we do....every decision we make....affects SO MANY people it is mind blowing.

Choose your own path, but heed the advice and comments of those with experience and knowledge.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
If you read the book you should be familiar with the concept of "can I afford this." If you have to ask yourself the question of "can I afford this" when you want to buy something, you cant afford it. No amount of reasoning will change that.

This example lends itself nicely to your situation. If you have to ask yourself "should I do this", more than likely you shouldn't be doing that.

I have a quote by Richard Branson on my mirror that I read everyday when I wake up and go to bed. It goes "If you aren't making a difference in other peoples lives, you shouldn't be in business - its that simple."

And it really is.

Helping others to better themselves should be the core of all business. Business isn't about helping others become better at ruining their lives.

Ask yourself this: am I improving the lives of those around me?

If the answer is no, move on. There are literally millions of ways to make money.

G

Guest34764

was brainstorming how to make money off the black lives matter bullshit . one thing lead to another and it just went crazy. grew up in the ghetto so i understand the market i'd be selling to . As small a market as it is , it would be a hot seller. did some research and the last thing I want is to be labeled as a threat to society.

Do you really want to be helping those kind of people?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
It has been said before in other threads: No one here is going to tell you to do something that would be illegal or would harm other people.

But your thread title is also asking about money...

1. Could the gov't pass laws against your product if they could prove the majority of it was used for illegal activities, or if people rallied against it?
2. Do you have enough money to lobby against said bill?
3. Is your lawyer paid enough to fight any lawsuits against you?
4. If you hang around the type of people that would cause trouble, will you live long enough to enjoy the money?

I'll leave you with this:

In traditional Chinese law, a form of justice called the Five Punishments was invented by a politician/scholar named Li Si. This punishment was cruel and scaled in direct proportion to the crime committed. However, on day, Li Si himself turned against the lords and was tried, like so many others. His sentence? The Five Punishments, of course, which he died from.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.