The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Makes you Happier

D

DeletedUser394

Got these 3 items in the mail today. Had to pay money for them. Pretty happy right now (usually happy.. so this is augmented happiness). Point proven. Next question! :)

P1030636.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I rather be a thousandaire with lots of rich relationships than be a loner millionaire.

How about both? They're not mutually exclusuve.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Funny thing. Money bought me a trip to southern California today. I am able to meet with a team member in person that will put a hell of a lot more money in my bank. I like the game so that makes me happy. I am currently enjoying a glass of wine with a carpicco and capresse on a deck overlooking the pacific ocean. I love good food, that makes me happy. All purchased with money, nothing else works here. Being content with mediocrity isnt a currency...

No need to tiptoe around the subject and say things like "it buys you experiences" "it buys you freedom". Quite frankly: Money. Buys. Happiness. If you think otherwise, have fun in mediocreland.

Mini canollis next, then an after dinner cigar...

I want to be there.

Stephen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2013
Anybody who thinks money does not buy happiness does not have enough money yet haha. But seriously.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
The eternal question...Can money buy happiness? I can say for sure that I've been un-happy while having lots of money - and I've been happy while having none. But these were short periods within those times, kinda like when a stock spikes against it's long term trend. I will say without a doubt, that the overall average during those times of fat or lean pockets, was that I am much happier with money, and much less happy without it. I friggin' love having money....period!

Inner happiness is an art and it must be cultivated though. Studying wealth has made me understand that many extremely wealthy people are not happy. That's from the mouths of people with obsene amounts of it discussing their own families etc. I didn't really suspect that until I did my research.

My wife and I wake up, walk the dogs and while we're doing that we think about all the great things in our life. It's gratitude and it's like an injection of happiness. So, if you can feel happy to just be alive and have some things in your life that you feel great about, and projects to be excited about, that's inner-happiness. Now add the happiness from material wealth on top of that and you have a killer combination. I love life and hell yeah, I love money!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Here is my take:

According to Psychologists we have 3 "emotional networks" in our brain:

1. One for social soothing and social connection. Laughing with friends or cuddling with your BF or GF.

2. Another for motivation and desire. We feel excited and optimistic for the future.

3. And another for fight or flight response or self preservation. Anxiety, anger adrenaline, worry, suspicion etc.

When we are clinically depressed we "press down" on the first two emotional networks and experience less positive emotions and dramatically elevate the third emotional network and experience negative thoughts and feelings about ourselves and others. This is the SCIENTIFIC explanation of depression.

That's profound. Makes total sense.

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
I remember a study on happiness + money. I can't cite it because this is from memory.

The Perfect Salary for Happiness: $75,000 - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Is that the study? This study claims that $75k per year is the tipping point where people feel pretty secure about life and excess income provides more stuff but not necessarily more happiness. It would be interesting to see the statistics on the demographics of the groups sampled because life on 75k per year is a life with a whole lot of limitations.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The entire premise of this ongoing debate is silly to me. If you apply a modicum of intellectual honesty, and allow yourself to get past the politically correct bullshit, there is only one single answer to each of these questions as below.

Would you be happier : be on a yacht in the Pacific ocean watching a baby whale learn how to breech in lessons from her mama, or on the same afternoon working at Subway for $8 an hour?

Would you be happier : with a million dollars in the bank, or with past due rent?

Would you be happier : eating a steak prepared by a private chef on your balcony overlooking the Swiss Alps, or cooking your kids Ramen noodles for the fourth night in a row because that's all you can afford?

Would you be happier : Driving a 2013 car of your choice that you paid cash for, or riding a bike with a flat tire because that's all you can afford?

Would you be happier : Donating $500,000 anonymously to a charity of your choosing, or being the recipient of a free bag of groceries from the Good Will because you had no money and no food?

Would you be happier : Giving your parents $100,000 because you can, or asking your parents for a $70 loan because you need gas and can't afford it?

Here's one for the "once you have $74,257 your happiness starts to dwindle crowd.

Would you be happier : Staying at the Howard Johnson motel with your family of six, or staying at the Ritz Carlton while your wife gets a massage and your kids play in the pool while you sip champagne?

Would you be happier with a $200,000 house and a mortgage (which is what you will have if you make $74,257) or with your dream house?

Would your kids be happier if you had enough money that you didn't have to work, and could spend more time with them?

Would you be happier waking up on a Tuesday morning and deciding to spend the day at the beach, or waking up that same morning at 6:30AM to shower, get the kids to daycare, and taking the train downtown for another day at the office?

I really don't get people's adamance that money doesn't buy happiness. I think it's a false piety or rationalization that we're taught from when we are young, most likely by people that never have money... and never assume we will either.

A friend of mine commented the other day that his life will be better when he has a private jet. The people around him laughed, as if he was kidding. Not only was he not kidding, but he was right... and he will have that jet some day in the (near) future.

This is likely my last post (ever) on this subject, as the discussion literally makes zero sense to me.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Money can make you happy, only when money is relevant.

If you are lost in the wilderness with nothing to drink and 10k in your pocket. Money isn't making you happy.

If you step on the scale and weigh 5 more pounds when you wanted to lose 10, Money isn't making you happy.

If you have a terminal illness, Money might make you more comfortable, but not happy.

There are lots of times in life, when money is not relevant.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Money can make you happy, only when money is relevant.

If you are lost in the wilderness with nothing to drink and 10k in your pocket. Money isn't making you happy.

If you step on the scale and weigh 5 more pounds when you wanted to lose 10, Money isn't making you happy.

If you have a terminal illness, Money might make you more comfortable, but not happy.

There are lots of times in life, when money is not relevant.

These hypotheticals are bullshit. In each circumstance, you would be there regardless and money still has an impact.

If I am in the wilderness with money, I have a GPS and I have people in a private helicopter looking for me.

If I step on the scale +5LBS and have money, I can buy a trainer to help me meet my objectives.

If I have a terminal illness, it would make me much more happy to do everything possible, including flying to Vietnam for the latest treatment. Conversely, being on public assistance with a terminal illness would be hopeless.

Bullshit. Money is always relevant. Circumstances are altered when money is involved. Always.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Happiness has levels.

On the surface level, money absolutely buys happiness.

The deeper you go into yourself, the less your happiness is affected by your circumstances.

Money won't buy you deathbed happiness.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
These hypotheticals are bullshit. In each circumstance, you would be there regardless and money still has an impact.

If I am in the wilderness with money, I have a GPS and I have people in a private helicopter looking for me.

If I step on the scale +5LBS and have money, I can buy a trainer to help me meet my objectives.

If I have a terminal illness, it would make me much more happy to do everything possible, including flying to Vietnam for the latest treatment. Conversely, being on public assistance with a terminal illness would be hopeless.

Bullshit. Money is always relevant. Circumstances are altered when money is involved. Always.

I thought you were done posting on this topic, that is why I jumped in....:nono:

Then every rich person should be happy, and we can look around and see that is not true, so BS right back at you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The entire premise of this ongoing debate is silly to me. If you apply a modicum of intellectual honesty, and allow yourself to get past the politically correct bullshit, there is only one single answer to each of these questions as below.

Would you be happier : be on a yacht in the Pacific ocean watching a baby whale learn how to breech in lessons from her mama, or on the same afternoon working at Subway for $8 an hour?

Would you be happier : with a million dollars in the bank, or with past due rent?

Would you be happier : eating a steak prepared by a private chef on your balcony overlooking the Swiss Alps, or cooking your kids Ramen noodles for the fourth night in a row because that's all you can afford?

Would you be happier : Driving a 2013 car of your choice that you paid cash for, or riding a bike with a flat tire because that's all you can afford?

Would you be happier : Donating $500,000 anonymously to a charity of your choosing, or being the recipient of a free bag of groceries from the Good Will because you had no money and no food?

Would you be happier : Giving your parents $100,000 because you can, or asking your parents for a $70 loan because you need gas and can't afford it?

Here's one for the "once you have $74,257 your happiness starts to dwindle crowd.

Would you be happier : Staying at the Howard Johnson motel with your family of six, or staying at the Ritz Carlton while your wife gets a massage and your kids play in the pool while you sip champagne?

Would you be happier with a $200,000 house and a mortgage (which is what you will have if you make $74,257) or with your dream house?

Would your kids be happier if you had enough money that you didn't have to work, and could spend more time with them?

Would you be happier waking up on a Tuesday morning and deciding to spend the day at the beach, or waking up that same morning at 6:30AM to shower, get the kids to daycare, and taking the train downtown for another day at the office?

I really don't get people's adamance that money doesn't buy happiness. I think it's a false piety or rationalization that we're taught from when we are young, most likely by people that never have money... and never assume we will either.

A friend of mine commented the other day that his life will be better when he has a private jet. The people around him laughed, as if he was kidding. Not only was he not kidding, but he was right... and he will have that jet some day in the (near) future.

This is likely my last post (ever) on this subject, as the discussion literally makes zero sense to me.

Fantastic post. Don't stay at a F*cking hojo ever.

G

GuestUser8117

End of story. I agree 100% with you. And like kak said, being content with mediocrity isn't a currency.

G

GuestUser8117

Godspeed. :)

D

DeletedUser394

I thought you were done posting on this topic, that is why I jumped in....:nono:

Then every rich person should be happy, and we can look around and see that is not true, so BS right back at you.

Definitely truth to this as well.

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
If I have a terminal illness, it would make me much more happy to do everything possible, including flying to Vietnam for the latest treatment.

But if it were your child with the terminal illness, no amount of money would help. One of my wealthiest friends had a son with pediatric brain cancer, he passed away at 12 years old. They tried everything, all the experimental treatments, wonderful family trips to spend time together - and he said he'd give up every cent not to lose his son.

When problems are money related, people think money will solve them. There are worse things money can't solve. Money can't make someone love you, money can't make someone live, money can't make you wise. (It can make a lot of people *think* you're wise though, and for some, that's enough.)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I'm just curious as to why some of you are on a Fastlane Millionaire wealth building forum discussing wealth building strategies and taking philosophical positions against wealth building. Sounds like hedging your bets to me. Kinda like being in the middle of the road and getting run over. Hard to take you seriously.

This isn't a touchy-feely, holding hands feel good forum. This is a forum about making money, building wealth, and giving yourself more choices in life as a result of your actions.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
But if it were your child with the terminal illness, no amount of money would help. One of my wealthiest friends had a son with pediatric brain cancer, he passed away at 12 years old. They tried everything, all the experimental treatments, wonderful family trips to spend time together - and he said he'd give up every cent not to lose his son.

When problems are money related, people think money will solve them. There are worse things money can't solve. Money can't make someone love you, money can't make someone live, money can't make you wise. (It can make a lot of people *think* you're wise though, and for some, that's enough.)

Sue. We have a family foundation that has raised over $1,000,000 to fight a disease with no known cure. I can tell you that the money that flows in makes us happier than if none did. It gives us hope where hope didn't exist. It buys us access to the best doctors, the best emerging technology, and the best care. We can't change the circumstance, but given the choice between money (for research) and no money... the money is something we CAN do and it certainly makes the best of a bad situation. Increases happiness and decreases despair.

I will be a MC in two weeks at a charity fundraiser for a little girl with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. SMA is the #1 genetic killer of small kids, but the National Institutes of Health (NIH) selected SMA as the disease closest to treatment of more than 600 neurological disorders.

So yes, I am intimately familiar with the happiness effect that money has on families dealing with terminal illnesses. And I can tell you first hand... it does make a positive difference.

By the way... SMA will be solved. It is only a function of time... plus MONEY for research. And we will set people free.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I'm just curious as to why some of you are on a Fastlane Millionaire wealth building forum discussing wealth building strategies and taking philosophical positions against wealth building. Sounds like hedging your bets to me. Kinda like being in the middle of the road and getting run over. Hard to take you seriously.

This isn't a touchy-feely, holding hands feel good forum. This is a forum about making money, building wealth, and giving yourself more choices in life as a result of your actions.

I am not taking a position against wealth building. It certainly is a good way to keep score. It is not happiness juice. It is resource juice.

What Matters in Life? Mexican Fisherman Meets Harvard MBA:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am not taking a position against wealth building. It certainly is a good way to keep score. It is not happiness juice. It is resource juice.

What Matters in Life? "Mexican Fisherman" Meets Harvard MBA:

You dont think that "Mexican Fisherman" would be happier with a 80 foot Viking Sportfisher? Lets go fly and meet him and offer him money just to see if he takes it.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

This is what all those sleepless nights, smart work, and persistence is for.... Being able to make a better life for yourself and your loved ones.

I made my mother cry today - YouTube

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Meh, IMO, just another bad argument that suffers from both a selection and survivorship bias. It's statistical equivalent is the old "College graduates make 29% more money over their life time than non-college graduates" -- yea sure, if you sample drop-out morons and lazy bums, I'm sure the statistics are entirely accurate.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think the problem here is that the question itself is just f*cked up.

Kinda like the question "is college a waste of time?". Well it just depends. It's more complex than a simple yes / no answer.

Theres no doubt in my mind that the classic adage "money doesn't buy happiness" was made up by some broke smart a$$ who was rationalizing his situation in life to make himself feel better.

Remember "money" is a changeable variable. Are we talking 5 million or 50 million or 50k? It just depends on what that person sees fit.

To me happiness is a "balance". Rich relationships? Check. Excited for the future? Check. Money? Check. If I can get more of all these variable then I can be happier. But to say that happiness is entirely dependent on money just doesn't sound right to me.

Happiness is a complex thing. Human needs and desires are complex. Brain states that create happiness are complex.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Slightly off topic.....I probably need to get out more, to get a larger sample, but in reality I have never "actually" met a consistently unhappy (as in generally unhappy with life) multi-millionaire; everyone says they exist but I haven't met one yet.

I have met several and been around some of them long enough to know their day to day outlook......they often display a sh*t eating grin behind closed doors or when they are out and about. I'm sure they were somewhat happy before they made their money but I cannot attest to that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I actually know one. He is very unhappy right now. Probably because he is losing most of his money.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I actually know one. He is very unhappy right now. Probably because he is losing most of his money.

LOL...I forgot to mention that scenario...:smx4: Maybe he will make it all back and be happy once again :D.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Ok...I got it. Here's how we settle it: whoever says money doesn't buy happiness should give all of their money and any future monies to me. I'll act like an escrow account...I promise not to use it for my own enjoyable purposes...really! ;) ;) ;) Then, let a year or two or three go by and re-post your opinions. See what life is like without that inert thing called "money". Let me know if you want it back or if you're really happy without it. I may be hard to reach because I'm out living on your dime though so...sorry I missed you, leave a message at the tone!

Now think about it and let that tell you something about how you feel about money. If you're cool with it just PM me and I'll let you know where to wire it!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
LOL...I forgot to mention that scenario...:smx4: Maybe he will make it all back and be happy once again :D.

He won't. That is why he is SERIOUSLY unhappy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.