The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Makes you Happier

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
An excerpt from the article.

"Why does more money mean more happy days ahead? Wolfers says he leaves that up to others to decide, but he has one theory: “It may be that the relationship is not between your income and the number of iPhones you can buy; it’s about the choices you can make.†And the more money you make, he says, the more choices open up. “But I would never say become a corporate lawyer and not work for a nonprofit if you found that more fulfilling,†Wolfers says."

Science: Money makes you happier - MarketWatch

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Something I've been saying to people who say "Money doesn't buy happiness." - It doesn't, it opens up doors to opportunities that create happiness.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
If you haven't noticed, those who say money does not buy happiness tend to be the ones with none. Maybe the fear swallowing the pill that their life isn't as happy as it could be.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Things that make me happy: freedom, good food, sex, a nice cup of tea, a warm bed, mojitos, time at the beach, freedom, spending time with friends and family, Timbits, good music, air conditioning, bacon, lifting weights, martial arts, and freedom.

Hmmm money can buy me every single one of those things. Curious how that works...

My perspective on the issue has changed quite a bit. Yes, happiness comes from within. But if I can't do something I want to do, am I not a bit sad because of it?

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
yeah for sure but we can learn to be happy without it which is the hardest part ..

I would watch some Sadhguru/Moojji on youtube .. very deep midned guys

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Majority of the things that make TheJ happy make me happy!

Traveling the WORLD makes me incredibly happy... I def need a lot of duckies for that... The ability to make all of the choices you WANT to make, versus HAVE to make make all the difference in my quality of life.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
yeah for sure but we can learn to be happy without it which is the hardest part ..

I would watch some Sadhguru/Moojji on youtube .. very deep midned guys

Why not have both? Be the happiest motherfcker on the planet: mental freedom, spiritual freedom, financial freedom!

(Tim Ferriss's next book: The 4 Hour Smile or someshit. This would sell as a book no DOUBT)

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
yeah pretty much everything he would write would sell now :p

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Majority of the things that make TheJ happy make me happy!

Traveling the WORLD makes me incredibly happy... I def need a lot of duckies for that... The ability to make all of the choices you WANT to make, versus HAVE to make make all the difference in my quality of life.

Choice is the concept that closes the gap here. Money --> Choice --> Happiness. Money gives me the choice to do whatever I feel like with my time and life.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Sure money can't buy happiness because happiness is a choice.

If you have it or you don't its still your choice to be happy.

People who can afford luxury are happy because they have the things that makes them happy.

People who doesn't have money find reasons to be happy in order to continue living..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Sure money can't buy happiness because happiness is a choice.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

I mean, yes, one COULD choose to ignore all hardships and roadblocks and be happy in spite of them, but that's an everyday uphill struggle for happiness. It's admitting to yourself you'll never have what you want so you might as well get used to it and be happy about it, as a choice. A smiling prisoner.

IMHO happiness is the result of having enough money to pay for the things you want to do and time enough to actually do them.

Every time you hit an unmet want or need, it wears on you. The more unmet wants/needs you hit, the more and more wear you'll take on. Whether that's not enough time with family or not enough money for a vacation - it takes it's toll. Soon you hit your breaking point and take on a midlife crisis where you say "F*ck it", go do something you can't afford (in time or money) because something has to give.

Money (enough to pay for what you want) + Time (enough to do what you want to do) = Happiness (a reduction of unmet wants/needs).

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am happier with money than without.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I think it is largely a magnifier of who you are. If you are a good person, you can be even better. and help more people(scale). If you are a dick, you can be a bigger dick with money. My life is much better w/ money. Just getting past the daily survival/paycheck to paycheck barrier is a HUGE relief for people. The daily grind for survival is terribly stressful for people I have found. <=== I don't wish that on anyone, especially myself ;)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Every time you hit an unmet want or need, it wears on you. The more unmet wants/needs you hit, the more and more wear you'll take on. Whether that's not enough time with family or not enough money for a vacation - it takes it's toll. Soon you hit your breaking point and take on a midlife crisis where you say "F*ck it", go do something you can't afford (in time or money) because something has to give.

Haven't your listened to Aerosmith?

It might be more about controlling your wants, and adjusting your needs, then trying to meet all your wants, because I think the latter would actually make you MORE unhappy, since wants will never stop if you keep them running.

AntiGuru

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I remember the first time I ever got a decent payout from a venture, walking to the bank with a certified check for a quarter-million in my pocket, something happened which I found very curious at the time: I didn't feel any different. Sure I was happy, in a good mood and everything - but I realized then and there that no matter how much money I ever made, it wasn't going to change me or define who I was on the inside.

Having said that, I like having enough money to not generally worry about money. Sure, I've had up cycles and down cycles over the course of my business career (I just took a bath on one of my investments, a business I bought into completely tanked) but day-to-day money worries (rent/mortgage/bills/private school for kids, etc) have been a thing of the past for me for a long time.

In my mind, having money means freedom and that's what enables me to do the things that will make me happy.

As has been observed in this thread: most people who pontificate that "money won't buy happiness" often don't have any; but the corollary to that is I suspect those same people think that if they won the lottery they'd never be unhappy again. They are wrong on both counts.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
To me, happiness is all about being available and mindful in the present. And here's where freedom kicks in.

In order to achieve happiness, you have to work in liberating yourself from the past and the future. Let go of the "baggage" that you carry from the past; let go of the worry that comes from the future.

Quick example:

1. You find yourself in debt with a bill in your hand.
2. You've very recently broken up with your girl who cheated on you with your best friend.

From above, you are unhappy because your past and the future emotionally and mentally imprisons you. Move on from your girl that cheated on you and chuck it as an experience. Take that bill of debt in your hand and toss it aside somewhere and you'll figure it out later. Hit the gym to be "in the present", to emotionally and mentally liberate yourself.

Happiness is all about being at peace.

But most people are governed by their past and their future that imprisons them and thus, they're unhappy. Money won't solve this problem at all. It all starts with you and you alone. It's weird to say this but would rather be a broke but wise fisherman who's emotionally and mentally free than an ignorant rich man's son who's imprisoned with his past and future.

Make that decision to be at peace in order to achieve happiness at any level. Being at peace requires no money and you can get started IMMEDIATELY under any circumstance. And only then, you can be happy.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Funny thing. I took a trip to southern California today to meet with a team member in person that will put a hell of a lot more money in my bank. I like the game so that makes me happy. I am currently enjoying a glass of wine with a carpicco and capresse on a deck overlooking the pacific ocean. I love good food so that makes me happy. All of this was purchased with money. Nothing else works here. Being content with mediocrity isn't a currency...

No need to tiptoe around the subject and say things like "it buys you experiences" "it buys you freedom". Quite frankly: Money. Buys. Happiness. If you think otherwise, have fun in mediocreland.

Mini canollis next, then an after dinner cigar...

G

GuestUser8117

I think it all comes from your belief system. If you believe money is required to be happy, then it will make you happy. If you believe money doesn't buy happiness, then it won't. But I'd rather be a happy rich than a happy broke. Why? Because money opens the doors of opportunities. Money equals the freedom of choices and that's were lies the ability to fully enjoy life. More money means I could escape winter and move to a tropical island permanently. It means I could go eat out whenever I want whitout having to worry about my bills.

I've been to Jamaica, Mexico, New York City, Florida, North Carolina, Boston, etc. Traveling makes me happy, but without money I wouldn't have gone very far.

D

DeletedUser394

Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy whatever I want, any time that I want...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Although I agree that money can buy happiness but what about the happiness of people back then when money and material items did not exist? Were native americans here in the U.S. depressed out of their minds because they had no money or cool shit?

I have read over and over that happiness is a state of mind that fuels success instead of the other way around:
How Happiness Directly Impacts Your Success - Forbes

Happiness makes you more successful in your work life and relationship life.

nico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 17, 2011
Two quotes:

"Money doesn't buy happiness....But last time I checked, neither does poverty."

"Money doesn't buy happiness....But I'd rather cry in a Ferrari than on a bike."

D

DeletedUser394

First of all, they're lyrics from an old hit song. The contradiction is sort of the point.

Anyway, back to actually making money.

[video=youtube;4rNBDQvQ-9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNBDQvQ-9c[/video]

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Saying you love money and it makes you happy does not make you a shitty person.

It may not be politically correct, but who cares about gaining the approval of others?

Admit it. Money absolutely buys happiness.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I remember a study on happiness + money. I can't cite it because this is from memory.
But the summation of the findings:

-Poverty makes you unhappy. Many marital, relationship, self esteem, and well being issues are directly related to money at this level. If you're living at or below the poverty line, money can make you happy in a very real way. More money means you will live longer, you don't stress about shelter, food, health, transportation, etc.
-After all basic needs are met... and you have enough money to feed yourself, shelter yourself, etc. more money is inconsequential to quality of life and happiness. Happiness for those above the poverty line is dictated by self-image, confidence, personality, and self actualization.

So statistically the poorer you are the unhappier you are. A very rich and an Ultrarich person will typically have equal levels of happiness.

It's my PERSONAL hypothesis that Ultra-rich people became ULTRA-rich due to personality traits that are associated with happiness. They're optimistic and action takers, fearless, don't allow negatives in life to stop them. You obviously feel good about yourself knowing that you've created wealth. The people who inherited wealth (again, in my humble opinion) are more likely to be depressed... they haven't "made" anything of themselves and don't feel the same sense of self-worth and accomplishment.

If you handed me $1m right now, I'd certainly be happy that I didn't have to live in such horrible circumstances.. but I KNOW I wouldn't be content with MYSELF until I accomplished the same thing through hard work.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Ahhhh, you guys are bad. :(

I'm trying to shift my mindset into this whole, "Don't let money determine your happiness" kinda thing.

The thing is: with or without money, I should be content. I don't want to wake up without money and be dissatisfied with life until I get money. To me, that's chasing money... or is it?

What do you guys think?

P.S. Oh and don't get me wrong, I'm STILL motivated as hell to get rich or die tryin'.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Here is my take:

According to Psychologists we have 3 "emotional networks" in our brain:

1. One for social soothing and social connection. Laughing with friends or cuddling with your BF or GF.

2. Another for motivation and desire. We feel excited and optimistic for the future.

3. And another for fight or flight response or self preservation. Anxiety, anger adrenaline, worry, suspicion etc.

When we are clinically depressed we "press down" on the first two emotional networks and experience less positive emotions and dramatically elevate the third emotional network and experience negative thoughts and feelings about ourselves and others. This is the SCIENTIFIC explanation of depression.

To me happiness is the opposite of depression. We have rich relationships with others and we feel tremendous optimism for the future and have low thoughts about worry and anxiety. Its a journey not a destination.

I rather be a thousandaire with lots of rich relationships than be a loner millionaire.

I can't imagine trying to start or business or trying to date someone while I have negative thoughts and low mood or AKA not happy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.