I'm from Korea and Korean is one of the farthest languages in the world from English, like Japanese. just like Europeans can learn each other's languages relatively easily Koreans and Japanese are like so to each other so from how different Japanese, the more popular one than Korean, and English are you might figure out as well how different Korean is from English. I have no problem with the formal English. I can read, listen, write and speak but when dealing with the spoken-English style of materials I really have difficulties with all of reading, listening, writing and speaking.
since not all books are translated to Korean let alone the quality of translation(actually the Unscripted was quite notorious for its poor translation in Korea.) I often have to read the original version in English. I don't usually have much difficulty with it because most books are written in formal tones, vocabularies and expressions but for all 3 of MJ's books I had a huge difficulty with them to the point where I ended up returning them and bought the Korean versions knowing their poor translation qualities except for the Great Rat Race Escape which isn't a translated yet. there were so many informal words and expressions that I couldn't stop searching every single one of them on my dictionary.
I'm not complaining and I know that anyone has the right to write a book in whatever tone or style they want and that they don't necessarily have to consider even foreigners when writing a book but I'm just wondering why are his sentences so difficult for me as a foreigner to understand and what do you guys think I can do to be familiar with such style of English, vocabularies and the expressions.
since not all books are translated to Korean let alone the quality of translation(actually the Unscripted was quite notorious for its poor translation in Korea.) I often have to read the original version in English. I don't usually have much difficulty with it because most books are written in formal tones, vocabularies and expressions but for all 3 of MJ's books I had a huge difficulty with them to the point where I ended up returning them and bought the Korean versions knowing their poor translation qualities except for the Great Rat Race Escape which isn't a translated yet. there were so many informal words and expressions that I couldn't stop searching every single one of them on my dictionary.
I'm not complaining and I know that anyone has the right to write a book in whatever tone or style they want and that they don't necessarily have to consider even foreigners when writing a book but I'm just wondering why are his sentences so difficult for me as a foreigner to understand and what do you guys think I can do to be familiar with such style of English, vocabularies and the expressions.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
