The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ, Would You Consider An Online Book Signing For Your New Novel?

10Fold

Custom titles are a dope idea
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
< Like this post if you think MJ should />

Hi MJ (if I am lucky enough),

I am wondering whether you would consider an online book signing live. There's a streaming service that specializes in live book signings, and also youtube. Authors can talk and answer questions from viewers. Signed books are then sold online.

EDIT: The first minute of this clip gives a good introduction to LiveSigning

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
< Like this post if you think MJ should />

Hi MJ (if I am lucky enough),

I am wondering whether you would consider an online book signing live. There's a streaming service that specializes in live book signings, and also youtube. Authors can talk and answer questions from viewers. Signed books are then sold online.

I would do this as long as someone's having a conversation with you. Seems it would be easier if you have a lot of books that are ordered and shipped properly. Although, I kind of love the idea your signing books in local bookstores and interacting in the community.

I have found memories of this with meeting some famous authors and musicians in my home state. Nothing like meeting celebrities for real who might have influenced your life through their books or music.

Rebecca Saint James for example. It would have not been the same thing if I had met her and Joshua Harris through the internet, versus actually speaking with them one on one.

This depends on the author I would believe. What genre? What the message of the book is about and how it impacts the audience.

While I've met lots of individuals, there are some who I remember because it was a personal experience and you never forget it.

Then you have those individuals who might be in the loop, but not as impactful, and you just don't recall the situation as easily.

With the authors online, it would be a new way to be seen, attract and audience, but you could technically just have someone create a whole platform of authors doing this and will get flooded like You Tube, and end up becoming over saturated at some point in time where you just start blending in with all the authors in every genre.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I would do this as long as someone's having a conversation with you. Seems it would be easier if you have a lot of books that are ordered and shipped properly. Although, I kind of love the idea your signing books in local bookstores and interacting in the community.

I have found memories of this with meeting some famous authors and musicians in my home state. Nothing like meeting celebrities for real who might have influenced your life through their books or music.

Rebecca Saint James for example. It would have not been the same thing if I had met her and Joshua Harris through the internet, versus actually speaking with them one on one.

This depends on the author I would believe. What genre? What the message of the book is about and how it impacts the audience.

While I've met lots of individuals, there are some who I remember because it was a personal experience and you never forget it.

Then you have those individuals who might be in the loop, but not as impactful, and you just don't recall the situation as easily.

With the authors online, it would be a new way to be seen, attract and audience, but you could technically just have someone create a whole platform of authors doing this and will get flooded like You Tube, and end up becoming over saturated at some point in time where you just start blending in with all the authors in every genre.
Your completely right. I just really like the idea of questions on the fly.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree. Those are the best conversations when you can just be on the spot. There's engagement. It's nice to just start talking about whatever subject and more relaxed. Unplugged used to be on MTV. I love this kind of stuff. I know we did this a lot back home in bars, art houses, museums, and cafe's.
Your completely right. I just really like the idea of questions on the fly.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am wondering whether you would consider an online book signing live.

Yes, but how is it live? How do I sign a book when I'm not physically there?

The video posted is an hour long which is time I'd rather not spend.

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
Yes, but how is it live? How do I sign a book when I'm not physically there?

The video posted is an hour long which is time I'd rather not spend.
Hi MJ,
This is a replay of the livestream. It was streamed earlier last month. I believe the streaming software acts as a medium to ask questions while the stream itself is on YouTube. I completely understand if this is something you'd rather not invest time into. However, the replay or clips from the stream could be considered wisely invested time which could be available to new adopters on YouTube.

Books are signed and viewers can purchase the book online. The only thing is, the signings aren't personalized.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Technically it is a Mathematical Equation of Time. Since it's 10: 28 P.M. and if I watch this video right now on January 1, 2017 back in time, you are live in your chair and speaking on business.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6bC10IuFM

If you were signing your books, it might be "Live" in 2017, but now it's subjective to interpretation if you are actually "Live" if it's marked with the word.

It saved you 59, 537 times repeating the same information. Although, it's not going to save you time signing this many books on one video live streaming.

It would be exhausting making video's and signing books with how many people read your books. I think it is just common sense, you'd have to be selective like I saw Eminem in Michigan this week. He opened his restaurant and handed out food for the first 10 people. He did not stand there all day and meeting and greeting every person.

I know usually there's a lottery system when I won passes to get autographs and meet and greets.
It makes sense the more professional you are time is used with purpose versus just doing something for the sake of doing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi MJ,
This is a replay of the livestream. It was streamed earlier last month. I believe the streaming software acts as a medium to ask questions while the stream itself is on YouTube.

I was not saying I wouldn't invest 1 hour into doing a livestream and signing. I was saying that I didn't want to spend 1 hour watching the video you posted. I am merely asking the logistics of the event. How can I sign a book when there is no physicality?

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I was not saying I wouldn't invest 1 hour into doing a livestream and signing. I was saying that I didn't want to spend 1 hour watching the video you posted. I am merely asking the logistics of the event. How can I sign a book when there is no physicality?
Sorry MJ,

that's where online takes on a con that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Still, a signed book is memorable and most importantly: Special.

You are completely right, there is no physicality, you can't meet someone and ask a quick few questions before moving on.

But online offers a pro that otherwise wouldn't exist: Scale.

You have fans all around the world. A book signing at a book store in Arizona wouldn't provide the same scale (unless it was online haha).

Most importantly, as you well know, videos on the internet are immortalised. New adopters can see that video, see your stance, see your close engagement with your community (thank you, by the way, it's very rare). In the end, you do you. If it is something that you still can't see yourself doing, I understand.

When it comes to the logistics themselves, here is a link to the LiveSigning website:

LiveSigning (this link shows the scale LiveSigning has under their belt - man I wish I came up with it!)

And here is their about section (Wayy more useful answer to your logistics question):
LiveSigning - About

The site is hosted by Premiere Collectibles. When it comes to the author end, I'm a little in the dark. But they may be flexible on the conditions they have.

Of course, Fastlane wise, It would be cool to set this all up on the form. A lot of work though and a lot of time.

With a title like your new one, I'm sure it would boost recognition if you went for the mainstream method.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Is it good to create my own publishing company?

10Fold

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
Is it good to create my own publishing company?
MJ went into some detail in my cringy introduction. I'm sure he's said a lot more in other posts.

Here it is:

10Fold said:
- The idea was that I would start my own publishing company and write the books so my company could then publish them.

Not a bad idea, but it is a bit of a low probability business since entry is so weak. There are several self-pubbers on this forum that do pretty well. From what they report, the industry is such a "churn and burn" that sometimes it feels likea job.

10Fold said:
MJ DeMarco is the CEO of Viperion Publishing!

I own the publishing company for reasons of control, and practicing what I preach. I can publish what I want (as well as other authors if desired) and still run a small business. Although things have grown much more busy than I could ever imagine, so much so that it impacts my writing time.

I've been resisting the need for employees because frankly, I like being on my own with no one to manage, or answer to. But there is a price to pay for that stubbornness...

10Fold said:
As a petrolhead I saw the 'Viper' part of it immediately.

Yes, at the time of the company formation in the early 00's, I owned this 650R which seemed to be influence my naming decision lol.

DSC00103.JPG

Anyway, welcome to the forum, glad you found some value from my work.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
MJ went into some detail in my cringy introduction. I'm sure he's said a lot more in other posts.

Here it is:

Not a bad idea, but it is a bit of a low probability business since entry is so weak. There are several self-pubbers on this forum that do pretty well. From what they report, the industry is such a "churn and burn" that sometimes it feels likea job.

I own the publishing company for reasons of control, and practicing what I preach. I can publish what I want (as well as other authors if desired) and still run a small business. Although things have grown much more busy than I could ever imagine, so much so that it impacts my writing time.

I've been resisting the need for employees because frankly, I like being on my own with no one to manage, or answer to. But there is a price to pay for that stubbornness...

Yes, at the time of the company formation in the early 00's, I owned this 650R which seemed to be influence my naming decision lol.

DSC00103.JPG

Thank you. I just saw this women promoting a publishing company. I stumbled upon her talking about book signing after reading this thread. I know he did, that's why I was asking. I know you don't have too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWRNBu2B_kw

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Here it is:

DSC00103.JPG

Then she states she used kickstarter and signed books.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCpyFfmLY1w&t=504s

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.