The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Med shool is going to shit. Business is going great. Any advice

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
I don't know about med school, but I'll say this about life:
Almost every time, we know what the 'right' answer is, because there is no right answer other than the one that we find to be true for ourselves.

If you think something you are doing is 'silly' or 'useless' then it probably is (for you and your personal story).
If you fear something irrationally, then you better go through that door. If you avoid it, it will forever haunt you and come back in different shapes and forms.

Fortunately or unfortunately in life, no one can tell you what to do with any degree of certainty.
I might personally think that being an MD would look super cool in paper and potentially a great tool for greater business success, but if doing it makes you unhappy to the point of making life unbearable, then it's probably not worth it.

This is becoming far too long, but I'll give you one more: we tend to create options out of thin air, when in reality there are probably none. I think this happens a lot for highly analytical people and high achievers. Since you see everything as possible, but at the same time are realistic, you give yourself enough options for your mind to ponder but not enough to make them useless.
As my father figure used to say, go for the practical life. It's very likely that the things that you think are your options, aren't.
Totally agree. Will stick to medicine because this track is absolutley the right path for me.
If I swap to something Business management, I would manage my business I have now, If I drop out, I would manage the business I have now and if I swap education, it would be a longer road and I might end up failing, not likning it or get a lead gratifying life than the one I will have.

Another thing: med school ruined at least two of my relationships.
You have to be prepared to sacrifice outside of purely your time.

I can definetly see why since I am in a serious relationship at the moment. However, I take time to scedule dates, wake up very early and do what needs to be done so I have time a few evenings a week to have a proper relationship.
If I didnt do that, I can see why it could ruin a relationship.

Anyway.
Fast update.

Got my vacation from work 3.5 weeks.

Managed to negotiate a raise (yay!)

Managed to change my scedule so I work 5 nights on, 9 days off, repeat. Will pay really well.

DECIDED that I will become a doctor and stop being soft. In 3 years, I will be a "junior doctor" anyway and can start to do treatments in my clinic if I have apporoval from a licenced doctor. Wont be a problem since I will work with one.

Also realised that it would not be realistic for me to continue with medschool this semester anyway since I have had some problems at my clinic and it took more time that I realised to get things done.

The Laser I bought didnt work out of the box. So the company will send spare parts and a mechanic from Portugal to try to fix it. I will try to negotiate a longer warranty due to the problem.

Also the booking system I have bought stopped working without me knowing so no one could book online this week. I made ads on social media that got about 50 clicks, 10% hit rate to my book now site but didnt get any bookings. Realised something was wrong and happily found it when a client called.

I also need to get banners, ads, web pages, social media optimisation, search engine optimisation, buy more machines, send an employee on a course in another city, get 2 deals with cosmetic manufactories. and probably a lot more.
Could pay someone to fix this but someone else might have gotten it wrong. Also would cost a ton and Im in the business of saving money and I have the skills to fix it myself (most of it).

So yeah. The more I think about it, the more Im happy things worked out the way it did.
This will give me time to learn how to study for real and ace the exams and not just squeeze by for the rest of med school because I dedicate more time and energy than alot of my peers and get compliments of being well read at seminars, just theese damn tests I need to learn how to write.

It will also give me time to optimize the clinic and finish all the little things that needs to be done so that I can leave it operating automaticly for as much as possible the next semester.
If I where to try to do everything now, It would just be a mess.
Lastley it will give me time to recuperate and reload.
Shure, It will not be fun to see my peers graduate before me but hey, I will have a clinic, they wont. Maybe I hire them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi @Kokaka, good that you're writing this post as not that long ago I was in a similar situation. Let me shortly explain it, and the steps I've taken since then. It might help you out.

I was a first year master of medicine student (so 4th year you could say) and dropped out after doing my masters for half a year. I'll get to this in a second.

Besides my study I have a career in the gaming and esports industry. I used to be a professional player and received a special status in the Netherlands to combine my medical study with my career. I was allowed time off etc. But, besides being a pro-player, the business industry also started approaching me. But as you know, being in the hospital from 7am tot 7pm doesn't give you much opportunity to work with businesses.

I noticed I struggled with what you are up to now. Do I continue my medical study and finish it, meaning it will take me anoter 2,5 years at least (with my status it wouldve taken longer due to being allowed time off etc), or do I go and see if I can make it in business. Might sound familiar to you :) I knew that if I'd have to focus on my studies for at least 2,5 years, I would not be a frontrunner in the gaming industry anymore and have less chances in business. Do I want to give up on that for a degree?

When I was younger I wanted to become a surgeon. I never planned on being a pro-gamer or working in that industry. But it became my passion, loved the industry and got opportunities. I really disliked sitting behind my computer A LOT during my masters and always thought : ''man, I can sit at home behind my computer as well doing something business related in gaming/esports''. Doubt came to mind.

Now, I also spoke to many people. Friends, parents, my mentor.. And eventually I decided the following: a 1 year sabbatical. Basically, I spoke with the student guide at university, told her the situation and asked if I was able to get 1 year off my study to see if I can make a career in the business side of the gaming/esports industry. It seems this was possible. If after 1 year things didn't go well, I would return and continue where I was. If things did go well, then... we'll see hehe.

I made this choice in june 2018, just over 2 years ago. I never, ever, regretted my decision one second. I vividly remember walking out of the hospital for the last time, not knowing if i'd ever return. The 1 year sabbatical gave me the opportunity to think things over and try my utter best in business.

Worked with multiple companies which gave me enough income to continue in business. I'm also a public speaker since 2017 so that helps out. And this year I launched a new business helping parents that struggle with gaming children which, in some way, is related to medicine/psychology/therapy.

Now as an advice:
1. Is it possible to have a 1 year sabbatical at your university?
2. What lights the fire in you? Being a Dr can open doors for sure, it's an impressive title. Though, it can also slow down business at the same time. Maybe having the title would've been very useful for me, maybe not. I guess the title give some sort of 'trust of knowledge', but I kinda build trust in time by being in the media since 2014.
3. Cut the knot (as we say in NL) : make a decision. I doubted for months but when I made the decision, there was a HUGE sense of relief, even tho I threw myself in the unknown.

Now I'm still a starting entrepreneur. I'm a 'do-er'. Know nothing about business but I just do things and see how it works. Quick learning curve. Still learning every day, also thanks to this forum. Not earning big numbers, but dedicated and motivated everyday to succeed in business and grow as a person.

With whatever choice you make, best of luck :)

Haha thanks.
Yea it seems that we have a very similar story and I believe that there will be alot of high achievers who are in the same path. Both you, @Knugs and myself started business on the side of Med School which is by itself a mad thing to do but it is possible. And I also believe it is good to show the struggle and the doubt because all the people today are focused on the success and they dont see what it takes. It is easier to just watch motivational videos on youtube that talk about grind, hustle and the like than to actuell do the work yourself since the road for many is not easy and few succeed.

Aldo glad that your business is doing well and you have found something you like, because people like you would be successfull in anything they do. Be it Medicine, E-sport or business.
But if you are into gaming addiction. Have you thought about partnering with a KBT psychologist and develop an app which may or may not lock the games and internet acess on the computer/phone and you have to do therapy before the it unlocks. Partner with a university who will do a study on app based KBT gaming addiction therapy, use your public position to market it.
Just an Idea to put out, I think to much anyway.

About the advice.
1. Yes it is possible to take 1 year off the university. We have a test that you can only do 5 times before they kick you out. Luckely I have passed that one. So I have all the time in the world now.

2. My fire is first and foremost problem solving, then human optimisation, nutrution and fighting/martial arts.
Also the medical beauty industy is slowly creeping up because it is just a big rabbit hole and the more you understand and know, the more insane this area is.

3. Yes I kut the knoop. Decided, will continue on the track I set for myself. In 3 years I can start doing simple treatments in my clinic as a side hustle and it will just get better from there.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the other oppurtunities that are being presented. I'm going to Ibiza next week for some RnR, 24h in Amsterdam first though. I am going to help my old boss at the nightclub where I used to DJ to try to take over a club opposite his. And he wants to open that with me so we run it together over the summers. Dont know if that is realistic for me but it shure would be fun. Atleast I will help him out.

knz

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Apr 6, 2020
Haha thanks.
Yea it seems that we have a very similar story and I believe that there will be alot of high achievers who are in the same path. Both you, @Knugs and myself started business on the side of Med School which is by itself a mad thing to do but it is possible. And I also believe it is good to show the struggle and the doubt because all the people today are focused on the success and they dont see what it takes. It is easier to just watch motivational videos on youtube that talk about grind, hustle and the like than to actuell do the work yourself since the road for many is not easy and few succeed.

Aldo glad that your business is doing well and you have found something you like, because people like you would be successfull in anything they do. Be it Medicine, E-sport or business.
But if you are into gaming addiction. Have you thought about partnering with a KBT psychologist and develop an app which may or may not lock the games and internet acess on the computer/phone and you have to do therapy before the it unlocks. Partner with a university who will do a study on app based KBT gaming addiction therapy, use your public position to market it.
Just an Idea to put out, I think to much anyway.

About the advice.
1. Yes it is possible to take 1 year off the university. We have a test that you can only do 5 times before they kick you out. Luckely I have passed that one. So I have all the time in the world now.

2. My fire is first and foremost problem solving, then human optimisation, nutrution and fighting/martial arts.
Also the medical beauty industy is slowly creeping up because it is just a big rabbit hole and the more you understand and know, the more insane this area is.

3. Yes I kut the knoop. Decided, will continue on the track I set for myself. In 3 years I can start doing simple treatments in my clinic as a side hustle and it will just get better from there.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the other oppurtunities that are being presented. I'm going to Ibiza next week for some RnR, 24h in Amsterdam first though. I am going to help my old boss at the nightclub where I used to DJ to try to take over a club opposite his. And he wants to open that with me so we run it together over the summers. Dont know if that is realistic for me but it shure would be fun. Atleast I will help him out.

It's absolutely possible yea. I guess being a med student you are kinda used to working hard to achieve something which also translates in having the motivation and dedication to hustle for your own business. It's indeed easier to watch videos that talk about success and see the life those people have. But like many say, it's not just about the end-goal, it's also about the process of hustling and learning that will get you there. Though that's the part you often don't see online.

They indeed like to see you succesful in whatever you do. Though, I come from a slowlane family and when I made my choice they definitely felt it haha. But it didn't take long for them to realise this is also a great decision.

Thanks for sharing your idea! There's many apps for blocking access to games in one way or another. Cooperating with a psychologist and design something ourselves in the future however might be a fun thing to do. Wrote it down in a list with ideas, you never know :)

''kut the knoop'' xD Enjoyed reading that. Seems like you know what to do, good stuff. Also, have fun in Amsterdam. Seems like you got all sorts of chances and opportunities :)

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
It's absolutely possible yea. I guess being a med student you are kinda used to working hard to achieve something which also translates in having the motivation and dedication to hustle for your own business. It's indeed easier to watch videos that talk about success and see the life those people have. But like many say, it's not just about the end-goal, it's also about the process of hustling and learning that will get you there. Though that's the part you often don't see online.

They indeed like to see you succesful in whatever you do. Though, I come from a slowlane family and when I made my choice they definitely felt it haha. But it didn't take long for them to realise this is also a great decision.

Thanks for sharing your idea! There's many apps for blocking access to games in one way or another. Cooperating with a psychologist and design something ourselves in the future however might be a fun thing to do. Wrote it down in a list with ideas, you never know :)

''kut the knoop'' xD Enjoyed reading that. Seems like you know what to do, good stuff. Also, have fun in Amsterdam. Seems like you got all sorts of chances and opportunities :)

"Both you, @Knugs and myself started business on the side of Med School which is by itself a mad thing to do but it is possible. "

With the difference that I gave up on the businesses in med school to focus on studies. Starting a business is really easy and doesnt mean anything. Retrospectively its probably the most idiotic thing I could have done.

Both, school and business, need to be your upmost priority. Otherwise you are risking your medical school spot, you will not have the time or energy to make that business succesful and you will seriously drive yourself into burnout in a matter of time. Medical students are not automatically hard workers. You become a hard worker by being forced through years of suffering. Most have some form of anxiety and stress and burnout. You are not superhuman.

I think taking a year out is much better. How has that been going?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
"Both you, @Knugs and myself started business on the side of Med School which is by itself a mad thing to do but it is possible. "

With the difference that I gave up on the businesses in med school to focus on studies. Starting a business is really easy and doesnt mean anything. Retrospectively its probably the most idiotic thing I could have done.

Both, school and business, need to be your upmost priority. Otherwise you are risking your medical school spot, you will not have the time or energy to make that business succesful and you will seriously drive yourself into burnout in a matter of time. Medical students are not automatically hard workers. You become a hard worker by being forced through years of suffering. Most have some form of anxiety and stress and burnout. You are not superhuman.

I think taking a year out is much better. How has that been going?
Yes I do understand now that you are right. I have been taking 6 month off now to focus on everything that needs to be done. Taking 3 weeks vacation, working 10 days a month afterwards but with full salaray. So now I will have time in the world to optimize my business, fix my study, heck I might even get some time to paint again which I havent done in a year. Going to take care of myself for a little while and focus on not creating a big mess out of everything.

On a side note. I might have gotten the option to expand and open my second clinic already because I start to attract people who see both my skill and drive in this area.
But first, vacation (yay!)

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi all.
So as some of you know, I am a medicine student into his second year (of 5,5 + 2 year intern) and I just failed my exam again. Need 65% to pass and I have written 60% 4 times in a row.
I believe it is not because of my business has distracted me since I have been able to dedicate 8 hours, 6 days a week to my studies, aswell as working full time at the intensive care unit and opening a business. So Im doing 16 hours for the last 12 month and Im starting to get tired.
This means I am blocked from continuing med school until january when I can take the test again and if I pass, I can continue with my studies.
The thing is, I am actually very good in running business I have found out since my beauty clinic is going great and I have gotten offers to open a night club and a cosmetic company from other seasond entrepreneaurs since they have recogniced my drive, dicipline and skill.
This has got me confused. I love business and I like medicine. I have sacraficed a ton to be where I am at the moment.
The way I see it I have three options.
1. Continue with med school and I finish when I finish.
2. Drop out of med school with 40k in depth and focus on the business I have now and the ones in front of me.
3. Swap career and focus on Business Management. I have found one who looks decent in Dubai who is 3 years and who knows, I might be able to negociate the price due to covid.

Anyway, just frustrated at the moment and Im in no situation to complain.
But does anyone have any thoughts?
Skip education, save money and run business anyway?
Grind it out and become a doctor some day?
Swap education and do something Im good at even if it will cost a ton?
I can't say for you BUT --

When I was around 40, I got a wild-hair-moment. My kids had left home and my husband had divorced me. I went to law school. It was during the terrible 1990s recession. I was a real estate broker and a RE appraiser at that time. I was still working 60 hours per week at my career while I carried 9 grad units at law school. I worked and I went to school. Period. By the end of the first year, I decided I didn't want to be an attorney. I was surviving in my classes, but they just couldn't teach me to see the world as an attorney -- I was a businesswoman who had then decided I wanted to make a career change into being a professional real estate investor. Law school sure changed my career goals! That school graduates 25% of those who started, and I was one of those. I wore that doctoral hood and I marched in that graduation ceremony. I was toast on the law stuff.

The students around me were telling me what kind of law they were going to practice. When they asked me what I was going to do, I told them I was going to be a prima ballerina. Here I was -- a middle-aged, single woman with grown children. The people asking didn't know if they should laugh or not. They should have. It was a personal joke. I just didn't want to be an attorney.

I wasn't sure it was all going to be worth the time, money, and effort I put into that degree. I had a bunch of student loans to pay off, and by then I was supporting my elderly mom. I had to make that degree pay off -- without getting stuck in a tiny law office full of files for 80 hours a week. I was already doing some consulting and expert witness work on the side. I like doing my fieldwork and looking at properties. I hated writing the 100-page appraisal reports. I knew what I did NOT want to do.

That side gig of the consulting work was the ticket. My Juris Doctorate opened the doors for me to limit my commercial appraising practice. I only had to do enough reports to main my expertise. Most of my time was in litigation support and expert witness work. That legal education was a leg up on the attorneys I was up against. I knew their thinking and their business. They didn't know real estate. Sparing with them was fun. I would use their questioning to lead them on by crafting my answers. They'd find themselves in "rabbit holes" where they couldn't get out. And I helped a lot of clients win their cases.

I don't know what being a doctor will bring to your life -- if you finish your studies. But, that education will open doors that you can't see right now. Yes, I'm retired. I am a professional real estate investor these days and I use my legal education every day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.