The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Med shool is going to shit. Business is going great. Any advice

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all.
So as some of you know, I am a medicine student into his second year (of 5,5 + 2 year intern) and I just failed my exam again. Need 65% to pass and I have written 60% 4 times in a row.
I believe it is not because of my business has distracted me since I have been able to dedicate 8 hours, 6 days a week to my studies, aswell as working full time at the intensive care unit and opening a business. So Im doing 16 hours for the last 12 month and Im starting to get tired.
This means I am blocked from continuing med school until january when I can take the test again and if I pass, I can continue with my studies.
The thing is, I am actually very good in running business I have found out since my beauty clinic is going great and I have gotten offers to open a night club and a cosmetic company from other seasond entrepreneaurs since they have recogniced my drive, dicipline and skill.
This has got me confused. I love business and I like medicine. I have sacraficed a ton to be where I am at the moment.
The way I see it I have three options.
1. Continue with med school and I finish when I finish.
2. Drop out of med school with 40k in depth and focus on the business I have now and the ones in front of me.
3. Swap career and focus on Business Management. I have found one who looks decent in Dubai who is 3 years and who knows, I might be able to negociate the price due to covid.

Anyway, just frustrated at the moment and Im in no situation to complain.
But does anyone have any thoughts?
Skip education, save money and run business anyway?
Grind it out and become a doctor some day?
Swap education and do something Im good at even if it will cost a ton?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Athena

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 22, 2019
Better get your MD
So much business to go into with that when you start to think big.
Without much effort too.

You have a business so you don't need a school loan or have to worry about daily maintenance while in school.

Being an MD in pharma alone $$$$$$$

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Better get your MD
So much business to go into with that when you start to think big.
Without much effort too.

You have a business so you don't need a school loan or have to worry about daily maintenance while in school.

Being an MD in pharma alone $$$$$$$
You might be right. Just having luxury problems since my talents is in business, not in medicine. But yeah, if I grind it out for a few years, I might be in a better spot in ten years than if I quit now and open all the other stuff.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Career paths have funny ways of revealing themselves.

Let's see: You're successful in business already, and you're having a tough time in med school, to the point that you've failed a test four times and have to wait months before you can retake it and continue your studies.

If someone came to you with this problem and asked you which career path was revealing itself, what would you advise them?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Career paths have funny ways of revealing themselves.

Let's see: You're successful in business already, and you're having a tough time in med school, to the point that you've failed a test four times and have to wait months before you can retake it and continue your studies.

If someone came to you with this problem and asked you which career path was revealing itself, what would you advise them?
Well thats the problem. I dont know the answer to the question.
The thing is I had the roughest start to my medicine career. I got the highest degree on the uni test after 8 month of study. I then was able to raise 1.5 year worth of biology, chemics, physics and matematics in 10 weeks to just squeese in to the program. That lended to me no understand a single thing for the first semester and Im feeling the reprecusions of that. I do believe that when I pass I will have it much easier since I know now how to study and have filled quite alot of gaps so the rest of the program will be easier.
That being said, I do have 4 years left when I pass ans 2 years of internship.
I have a very good talent for business and economics who is 3 years.
I am afraid I will get stuck in medicine and waste precious years before I finish. Then again, I lears so much about business as is that Im getting a second degree without studying.

So yeah, Im just jumping back and forth since Im not getting any younger. Would love to be an MD who is into business but would settle to be a successfull business owner.
The problem of being successfull is that few succed and being an MD is playing life on easy mode.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Do you have a business right now? Or are you just saying that studying business comes naturally to you?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
Do you have a business right now? Or are you just saying that studying business comes naturally to you?
I have newly opend beauty clinic at the moment. And I was able to save about 80k when opening it from shrew negotiations and good deals. Also dont have any capital so everything has been raised.

So yeah, business comes very natural to me, medicine does not. However I know IF I become an MD someday, I will merge the two and do something great.
If I dont become an MD, I will try to do something great.

So thats the struggle Im having. Swap career and do something Im good at now or grind it out for god knows for how long and do something good later on.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have newly opend beauty clinic at the moment. And I was able to save about 80k when opening it from shrew negotiations and good deals. Also dont have any capital so everything has been raised.

So yeah, business comes very natural to me, medicine does not. However I know IF I become an MD someday, I will merge the two and do something great.
If I dont become an MD, I will try to do something great.

So thats the struggle Im having. Swap career and do something Im good at now or grind it out for god knows for how long and do something good later on.
I'm just a random guy on the internet, so this advice might be worth the price you paid for it. BUT. I've been there/done that with similar stuff. Quit med school. Today. Focus on business.

Going through misery because you have a higher calling is one thing. You don't talk about medicine as a calling. You talk about it as a 'nice to have' that you can eventually use in business.

When you talk about business, though, it sounds like it excites you. You're good at it. Follow what you're good at, what you enjoy, and what brings value to your fellow humans.

If you want to combine business and med school, partner up with a doctor on a project together.

Jambro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 18, 2020
Portalegre, Portugal
My partner is a doctor and I watched her through 5 of the 6 years of med school grinding it out. Med School is tough. Working as a doctor is tough too but the opportunities that it may present to you later on could be invaluable (especially for your business- if it is complementary?)

I don't know anything about your business but just pretend for a moment that it closed tomorrow and you had to fall back on a job (very unfastlane thought process!) your qualification as an md would allow you to get a job nearly anywhere and generally with a decent salary to start again on your next venture.

On the flip side to that argument, perhaps your business is booming. If you invested just a bit more energy and effort you could take it to the next level. The 40k debt that you currently have would be a thing of the past. For that reason perhaps dropping med school is just what you need to do to go fastlane.

Perhaps you require a compromise somewhere? Maybe take somebody on to help manage the business for you whilst you get through school.
For the med school part perhaps invest in a tutor to help you nail this part of the exam so that you can march on and get your degree.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
My partner is a doctor and I watched her through 5 of the 6 years of med school grinding it out. Med School is tough. Working as a doctor is tough too but the opportunities that it may present to you later on could be invaluable (especially for your business- if it is complementary?)

I don't know anything about your business but just pretend for a moment that it closed tomorrow and you had to fall back on a job (very unfastlane thought process!) your qualification as an md would allow you to get a job nearly anywhere and generally with a decent salary to start again on your next venture.

On the flip side to that argument, perhaps your business is booming. If you invested just a bit more energy and effort you could take it to the next level. The 40k debt that you currently have would be a thing of the past. For that reason perhaps dropping med school is just what you need to do to go fastlane.

Perhaps you require a compromise somewhere? Maybe take somebody on to help manage the business for you whilst you get through school.
For the med school part perhaps invest in a tutor to help you nail this part of the exam so that you can march on and get your degree.

Yeah the business model I have is that I built it and help with the administrive stuff but I have people working for me. As is I have to retake the test in january so I will have alot of time to focus on the business.
Being an MD shure has its benifits and will bring a unique asset to business. Especially since I have started to specialice in beauty and cosmetics and become quite proficient at that and its an area I really enjoy, and well, sending me in as an attack dog in this world of blonde bimbos is hilarious. The deals Im able to broker is just insane.
Quite funny. My background is in the military and DJing. So I went from blowing stuff up and playing music at clubs to start worrying about womens eyelashes.
But then again. I dont need to be an MD to run a business. I just need to know how to run a business to run a business. And also, the sucsess Im having in this field could easily be transferable to any other. Be it tourusm, nightlife or finance I believe.

Just a question though. If you are gifted with a sense for business, would a business management degree be a waste or an asset? Even if it cost alot and takes a few years. Thinking return of investment

Jambro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 18, 2020
Portalegre, Portugal
Just a question though. If you are gifted with a sense for business, would a business management degree be a waste or an asset? Even if it cost alot and takes a few years. Thinking return of investment
[/QUOTE]

My business degree taught me nothing about the actual skills needed to run a business. I would imagine for example your military career gave you a good understanding of leadership and management. Sales is important but I guess you are doing more than fine in that area. You would be better getting a mentor to bounce ideas off and advice than dropping a load of cash into a degree that probably won't bring you much real value.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
I'm just a random guy on the internet, so this advice might be worth the price you paid for it. BUT. I've been there/done that with similar stuff. Quit med school. Today. Focus on business.

Going through misery because you have a higher calling is one thing. You don't talk about medicine as a calling. You talk about it as a 'nice to have' that you can eventually use in business.

When you talk about business, though, it sounds like it excites you. You're good at it. Follow what you're good at, what you enjoy, and what brings value to your fellow humans.

If you want to combine business and med school, partner up with a doctor on a project together.
Well random guys on the internet can give you ideas and other point of views that can change alot in your life.

The thing I do enjoy is beauty in the privare practice. I used to spend hours watching dermatology and plastic surgery videos. But latley, the business aspect is taking over since I am running one.
Still, with my drive I would really do something great in a niche area of medicine snd business.
As just business, I could probably do something great there aswell but the competition will be way harder

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well random guys on the internet can give you ideas and other point of views that can change alot in your life.

The thing I do enjoy is beauty in the privare practice. I used to spend hours watching dermatology and plastic surgery videos. But latley, the business aspect is taking over since I am running one.
Still, with my drive I would really do something great in a niche area of medicine snd business.
As just business, I could probably do something great there aswell but the competition will be way harder
competition is a thing among doctors too... some doctors make $150k/year. Others make $500k+. (keep in mind med school still has to be repaid, malpractice insurance paid, etc)

It still sounds like you like the *idea* of medicine, but not the actual practice of it. I loved watching plastic surgery videos too. I was amazed at how violent face lift surgeries are. I'm now in software. :)

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
competition is a thing among doctors too... some doctors make $150k/year. Others make $500k+. (keep in mind med school still has to be repaid, malpractice insurance paid, etc)

It still sounds like you like the *idea* of medicine, but not the actual practice of it. I loved watching plastic surgery videos too. I was amazed at how violent face lift surgeries are. I'm now in software. :)
I do love it out

Well I have actually done a very thurough psycological test who gave me a perfect match in Law, Financial Analytics and Medicine.
Maybe that is why I am pingponging back and forth. Yes I am very interested in Law aswell.
And I have a test results that make me study whatever I want.
The practice of medicine is very interesting and I have a greater understanding of it after my time in the ICU. But then I would love to do medicine but in private practice. Then I would also love to be ceo of a company or make one from scratch.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
While I wasn't going to school to be a doctor, I was going to school for a similar related medical profession for about a year. The schooling drained me to the point of going nights without sleep, breaking up with a long term girlfriend of 3 years, and overall showing that I had no future in medicine. It's not that I couldn't take the difficulty of medicine -- I could and still believe I could have passed -- but a lot of it I wasn't comprehending, the damage on my life and mental health was immense, and truth be told I was money chasing and had no passion behind it. Learn from me, even though I put a full year, year and a half into school, I still left because I didn't let it become a sunk cost fallacy that defined my future.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I do love it out

Well I have actually done a very thurough psycological test who gave me a perfect match in Law, Financial Analytics and Medicine.
Maybe that is why I am pingponging back and forth. Yes I am very interested in Law aswell.
And I have a test results that make me study whatever I want.
The practice of medicine is very interesting and I have a greater understanding of it after my time in the ICU. But then I would love to do medicine but in private practice. Then I would also love to be ceo of a company or make one from scratch.
You sound so much like my younger self. Here's what I wish someone would have said to me:

DECIDE!

If someone held a gun to your head and said, 'pick the path right now that you know will be the best one for YOU' what would you pick? You have 2 seconds.

(I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to the question you posted, you're just looking for permission to pull the trigger on it...)

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
You sound so much like my younger self. Here's what I wish someone would have said to me:

DECIDE!

If someone held a gun to your head and said, 'pick the path right now that you know will be the best one for YOU' what would you pick? You have 2 seconds.

(I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to the question you posted, you're just looking for permission to pull the trigger on it...)
Well I have been sleeping on it and soberd up and have creates this strategy.

1. Stop being a pussy
2. Take 3 weeks vacation
3. Talk to the ICU to swap my scedule so I work ten night shifts a month.
4. Create a strategy with the student administror at the uni.
5. Get a mentor
6. Fix my study strategy
7. Study
8. Ace the exam.

I just cant envision me changing path since I believe Im on the right track. Even though it sucks at times (see point 1).
It will take more or less the same amount of time if I where to swap to Business Management in January, and by having my business at the moment. I will pretty much learn the same stuff on my own from experience.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Hi all.
So as some of you know, I am a medicine student into his second year (of 5,5 + 2 year intern) and I just failed my exam again. Need 65% to pass and I have written 60% 4 times in a row.
I believe it is not because of my business has distracted me since I have been able to dedicate 8 hours, 6 days a week to my studies, aswell as working full time at the intensive care unit and opening a business. So Im doing 16 hours for the last 12 month and Im starting to get tired.
This means I am blocked from continuing med school until january when I can take the test again and if I pass, I can continue with my studies.
The thing is, I am actually very good in running business I have found out since my beauty clinic is going great and I have gotten offers to open a night club and a cosmetic company from other seasond entrepreneaurs since they have recogniced my drive, dicipline and skill.
This has got me confused. I love business and I like medicine. I have sacraficed a ton to be where I am at the moment.
The way I see it I have three options.
1. Continue with med school and I finish when I finish.
2. Drop out of med school with 40k in depth and focus on the business I have now and the ones in front of me.
3. Swap career and focus on Business Management. I have found one who looks decent in Dubai who is 3 years and who knows, I might be able to negociate the price due to covid.

Anyway, just frustrated at the moment and Im in no situation to complain.
But does anyone have any thoughts?
Skip education, save money and run business anyway?
Grind it out and become a doctor some day?
Swap education and do something Im good at even if it will cost a ton?

I have failed med school exams and repeated them. I also started small short lived businesses at medical school that would have turned me into a bitcoinmillionaire, if I just persisted. Yet I dont regret not pursuing this path which was to focus on medicine and become a doctor.

I can strangely empathetise with you on this one. Medical school is tough and unrewarding but the satisfaction of seeing how patients improve under your care and being extremely thankful for is priceless.

There is a reason you have failed those exams and its not your intellectual capability. Its also has nothing to do with your work attitude. Its clear from this and previous posts. You know what you need to fix.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Med school. Is about time management. And memorization.
Wash, Rinse, repeat.
No offense, the fact that you failed that many times signal to me that you don't really want to do it.
Or not badly enough.

Being a doctor isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's not as 'easy' as how ppl think, either.
You think life will be 'easy' once you get out of med school? Lol, think again.
There is a reason why physicians are 2x more likely to commit suicide than everybody else.
If you don't *really* want to do it, just drop out since you're only in the second year, and you have your business anyway.

EDIT: Check out 'Kevin Jubbal' on Youtube. He gave up his PLASTIC SURGERY residency!!! to pursue entrepreneurship. Smart guy. You could be steps ahead of him and quit whilst you're ahead.

Of course the above is just my opinion.
I don't know *exactly* how much you want to do this, but just the fact that you failed that many times alone shows me you don't want to do it enough.

Last edited:

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
I have failed med school exams and repeated them. I also started small short lived businesses at medical school that would have turned me into a bitcoinmillionaire, if I just persisted. Yet I dont regret not pursuing this path which was to focus on medicine and become a doctor.

I can strangely empathetise with you on this one. Medical school is tough and unrewarding but the satisfaction of seeing how patients improve under your care and being extremely thankful for is priceless.

There is a reason you have failed those exams and its not your intellectual capability. Its also has nothing to do with your work attitude. Its clear from this and previous posts. You know what you need to fix.
Yes and also that you have to use your head and solve problems. I really learned this at the ICU when we have to think to really solve a patients problem and afterwards you meet them in the corridor when they are better.
Med school. Is about time management. And memorization.
Wash, Rinse, repeat.
No offense, the fact that you failed that many times signal to me that you don't really want to do it.
Or not badly enough.

Being a doctor isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's not as 'easy' as how ppl think, either.
You think life will be 'easy' once you get out of med school? Lol, think again.
There is a reason why physicians are 2x more likely to commit suicide than everybody else.
If you don't *really* want to do it, just drop out since you're only in the second year, and you have your business anyway.

EDIT: Check out 'Kevin Jubbal' on Youtube. He gave up his PLASTIC SURGERY residency!!! to pursue entrepreneurship. Smart guy. You could be steps ahead of him and quit whilst you're ahead.

Of course the above is just my opinion.
I don't know *exactly* how much you want to do this, but just the fact that you failed that many times alone shows me you don't want to do it enough.

Well I belive I am one of the ones who give the most time to my studies out of my classmates. It is just that I need to swap technuique. To be fair, I started with the most disadvantages possible since I did study 1.5 college corses in 10 weeks and that didnt give me enough time to get a good base so from day 1, I was behind everyone else. Also because I didnt study anything in elementary and High school, I started without any study skills or strategy for long term learning.
If I could do it all again, I would have waited atleast 6 month before I started med school to solidify the Biology, Chemics and Physics.

I can understand why many doctors are not happy and why you and Knugs want to be entrepreneurs instead. The hospital enviroment is tough and especially emergency. Long nights, intensive work, stress etc.

Yes I have seen Kevin Jubal on youtube and he stated stat he got the opportunity because he was an MD and had a residency in plastic surgery.

But I have been calming down quite abit since and had a long thought about if I could do anything I wanted. Then my vote would be in the private practice advanced beauty since I do have a burning passion for that field and the easiest way for me to do that would be to finish med school. However I do not have to be a spacialist, example in dermatology or plastic surgery to operate the business. Just hire someone who will do the precediours I cant do myself. So in a way, Im having my recidency in business now.
It is as one of the surgeons who wants to work with me says who has 4 clinics across europe. There are many good doctors out there but many few good doctors who are also good in running a business.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
the same stuff
It's not the same stuff
You'll learn 10x more doing your own biz than with any MBA.

Now back to the topic.

Suggestion would be this: keep your passion for med and business, by still educating yourself on your own and work as a businessman.

You got two skills (or knowledge) and you can talk two languages: one that doctors speak and one that businessmen speak. You would be welcomed by both b/c "you understand" what they are saying.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
I think doctors should stay in the profession and exploit their knowledge of the hospital system and medicine to develop and improve medicine through business. I admit healthcare is incredibly tough but there are so many opportunities out there no non-medic entrepreneur would ever have the guts to approach/ or understand. It is to some extent your responsibility as a medic and passionate entrepreneur to fix these problems in healthcare, because nobody else is better equipped at doing so.

I believe that a "doctor and entrepreneur" should still be in practise and enjoy the perks of the work.

-Literally no other graduate degree pays me this much one year out of university. Europe based: (roughly 85-90k euros).
-Strong job security
-Wide range of parttime work available (even in surgery)
-As a specialist a lot more opportunities to work freelance and independently.
-Many business opportunities after specialisation.
-A lot of recognition from the public. Better public image = higher social status (if you care)
-Far more likely to be invested in. VCs/Investors love it.
- Some entrepreneurs do uber to survive. As a medic you can do locums. Easy to mix with business.
-Later down the line you have strong cashflow that can help you launch a business.
-with your degree you can do any procedure. beauty or not. You dont need specialisation. (this is what you do now) Why pay a doctor for botox services that takes 5-10 minutes, when its actually so easy to do yourself.

And on a different note. You can always do an MBA; you can always do a Business degree or start a company but THIS is your only chance of becoming a doctor. Once you are out, you are giving up a tough spot you had to work yourself off in the first place.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Aug 9, 2019
It's not the same stuff
You'll learn 10x more doing your own biz than with any MBA.

Now back to the topic.

Suggestion would be this: keep your passion for med and business, by still educating yourself on your own and work as a businessman.

You got two skills (or knowledge) and you can talk two languages: one that doctors speak and one that businessmen speak. You would be welcomed by both b/c "you understand" what they are saying.

Haha yeah, and I speak 5 languages aswell so that will probably help along the line, as well as understanding business and medicine.

I think doctors should stay in the profession and exploit their knowledge of the hospital system and medicine to develop and improve medicine through business. I admit healthcare is incredibly tough but there are so many opportunities out there no non-medic entrepreneur would ever have the guts to approach/ or understand. It is to some extent your responsibility as a medic and passionate entrepreneur to fix these problems in healthcare, because nobody else is better equipped at doing so.

I believe that a "doctor and entrepreneur" should still be in practise and enjoy the perks of the work.

-Literally no other graduate degree pays me this much one year out of university. Europe based: (roughly 85-90k euros).
-Strong job security
-Wide range of parttime work available (even in surgery)
-As a specialist a lot more opportunities to work freelance and independently.
-Many business opportunities after specialisation.
-A lot of recognition from the public. Better public image = higher social status (if you care)
-Far more likely to be invested in. VCs/Investors love it.
- Some entrepreneurs do uber to survive. As a medic you can do locums. Easy to mix with business.
-Later down the line you have strong cashflow that can help you launch a business.
-with your degree you can do any procedure. beauty or not. You dont need specialisation. (this is what you do now) Why pay a doctor for botox services that takes 5-10 minutes, when its actually so easy to do yourself.

And on a different note. You can always do an MBA; you can always do a Business degree or start a company but THIS is your only chance of becoming a doctor. Once you are out, you are giving up a tough spot you had to work yourself off in the first place.

Yeah there will be alot of thing I can do that the normal healthcare dont do. For instance I want to get a machine that help with restoration of burn victim scar tissue, and according to a nurse who want to work with me, you could get a contract with the hospital and sell your services to them if you have this.
There is also one who treat Psorisais symptoms with laser and because Im very interested in functional medicine aswell, you could combine it with an antiinflammatory diet to get the best results and then write wrecipies for medications if need be.
Also my supplier in Portugal has another machine he wants to sell me that treat incontinense in women after delivery. This also tightens up the vaginal muscles to increase sexual plesure for both parties.
Then there are clients now at my clinic who under go "non invasive lipo suctions" who lose like 4-8kg in 2 weeks and get -10cm in abdominal circumference. They have given me an idea to build a resort where people stay for a few weeks, do very advanced precediours, be it localised fat, psoriasis, vaginal treatments etc. Eat healthy, exercise and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle.
So many possibilities, need to grind more.

Anyways, motivation and enthusiasm is back so just because Im not a doctor today does not mean I will not be one someday.
Also the more I think about it, maybe this was a blessing in disguise for me. I will be able to talke 3 weeks paid vacation and also be able to optimise the clinic since there are a few things that need to be fixed before it is suffient autonamous to my liking and now I will have all the time in the world to make it the best it can be.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well I have been sleeping on it and soberd up and have creates this strategy.

1. Stop being a pussy
2. Take 3 weeks vacation
3. Talk to the ICU to swap my scedule so I work ten night shifts a month.
4. Create a strategy with the student administror at the uni.
5. Get a mentor
6. Fix my study strategy
7. Study
8. Ace the exam.

I just cant envision me changing path since I believe Im on the right track. Even though it sucks at times (see point 1).
It will take more or less the same amount of time if I where to swap to Business Management in January, and by having my business at the moment. I will pretty much learn the same stuff on my own from experience.
nice :) I like this.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
IMO better to have you own business rather than study to be a Big Pharma employee (sadly that's all most MD end up being)

PeterBoss

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Aug 17, 2020
London
I don't know about med school, but I'll say this about life:
Almost every time, we know what the 'right' answer is, because there is no right answer other than the one that we find to be true for ourselves.

If you think something you are doing is 'silly' or 'useless' then it probably is (for you and your personal story).
If you fear something irrationally, then you better go through that door. If you avoid it, it will forever haunt you and come back in different shapes and forms.

Fortunately or unfortunately in life, no one can tell you what to do with any degree of certainty.
I might personally think that being an MD would look super cool in paper and potentially a great tool for greater business success, but if doing it makes you unhappy to the point of making life unbearable, then it's probably not worth it.

This is becoming far too long, but I'll give you one more: we tend to create options out of thin air, when in reality there are probably none. I think this happens a lot for highly analytical people and high achievers. Since you see everything as possible, but at the same time are realistic, you give yourself enough options for your mind to ponder but not enough to make them useless.
As my father figure used to say, go for the practical life. It's very likely that the things that you think are your options, aren't.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Another thing: med school ruined at least two of my relationships.

You have to be prepared to sacrifice outside of purely your time.

knz

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Apr 6, 2020
Hi @Kokaka, good that you're writing this post as not that long ago I was in a similar situation. Let me shortly explain it, and the steps I've taken since then. It might help you out.

I was a first year master of medicine student (so 4th year you could say) and dropped out after doing my masters for half a year. I'll get to this in a second.

Besides my study I have a career in the gaming and esports industry. I used to be a professional player and received a special status in the Netherlands to combine my medical study with my career. I was allowed time off etc. But, besides being a pro-player, the business industry also started approaching me. But as you know, being in the hospital from 7am tot 7pm doesn't give you much opportunity to work with businesses.

I noticed I struggled with what you are up to now. Do I continue my medical study and finish it, meaning it will take me anoter 2,5 years at least (with my status it wouldve taken longer due to being allowed time off etc), or do I go and see if I can make it in business. Might sound familiar to you :) I knew that if I'd have to focus on my studies for at least 2,5 years, I would not be a frontrunner in the gaming industry anymore and have less chances in business. Do I want to give up on that for a degree?

When I was younger I wanted to become a surgeon. I never planned on being a pro-gamer or working in that industry. But it became my passion, loved the industry and got opportunities. I really disliked sitting behind my computer A LOT during my masters and always thought : ''man, I can sit at home behind my computer as well doing something business related in gaming/esports''. Doubt came to mind.

Now, I also spoke to many people. Friends, parents, my mentor.. And eventually I decided the following: a 1 year sabbatical. Basically, I spoke with the student guide at university, told her the situation and asked if I was able to get 1 year off my study to see if I can make a career in the business side of the gaming/esports industry. It seems this was possible. If after 1 year things didn't go well, I would return and continue where I was. If things did go well, then... we'll see hehe.

I made this choice in june 2018, just over 2 years ago. I never, ever, regretted my decision one second. I vividly remember walking out of the hospital for the last time, not knowing if i'd ever return. The 1 year sabbatical gave me the opportunity to think things over and try my utter best in business.

Worked with multiple companies which gave me enough income to continue in business. I'm also a public speaker since 2017 so that helps out. And this year I launched a new business helping parents that struggle with gaming children which, in some way, is related to medicine/psychology/therapy.

Now as an advice:
1. Is it possible to have a 1 year sabbatical at your university?
2. What lights the fire in you? Being a Dr can open doors for sure, it's an impressive title. Though, it can also slow down business at the same time. Maybe having the title would've been very useful for me, maybe not. I guess the title give some sort of 'trust of knowledge', but I kinda build trust in time by being in the media since 2014.
3. Cut the knot (as we say in NL) : make a decision. I doubted for months but when I made the decision, there was a HUGE sense of relief, even tho I threw myself in the unknown.

Now I'm still a starting entrepreneur. I'm a 'do-er'. Know nothing about business but I just do things and see how it works. Quick learning curve. Still learning every day, also thanks to this forum. Not earning big numbers, but dedicated and motivated everyday to succeed in business and grow as a person.

With whatever choice you make, best of luck :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.