The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing my pressure washing service

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Fastlaners, I hope all is well.

I'm 20 years old. Currently have a job selling construction and industrial supplies but wanted to make money on my weekends and time off. I have been doing odd jobs here and there for people. My next venture I want to pressure wash peoples drive ways, walkways, etc. Any ideas on how to market this? I've tried printing little ads and putting them around neighborhood doors but I presume most people just throw them away. Thinking about just going door to door and asking everyone. Thoughts??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Here is a very simple way to start this type of business.

Go print up some door hangers. These are VERY cheap and a great way to supplement your D2D sales effort.

Next you want to get a simple yard sign printed up. Keep it simple! You can go for 'funny' with something like "We put the POWER in power washing!" then list your number below. Make sure its big enough to be visible.

Anytime you are out power washing a drive way be sure to stick that sign in the yard right where all traffic can see it. When you go simply remove the sign and take it with you.

When you knock on doors have a good but simple offer, This is power washing, not selling them a house! "Hey! I happen to be in the neighborhood today doing some honest work and making peoples drive ways sparkle! Since I'm already here i'll give you x% off today."

Don't be afraid to inject a little personality into it.

If they don't answer or aren't at home that it where you leave a door hanger.

Now if you want to really get serious you can add in the next two things...

Referral letters and upselling.

After you do a great job, and right before you get paid, tell him that if hes willing to help you out that you would return the favor by knocking some money off for him. Have some referral letters already typed up and just have a blank space at the bottom for the home owner to write his name.

Keep the letters simple.

"Hey neighbor,

Just wanted to let you know about a nice young man, [NAME], who recently did a GREAT job making my drive way look new again. I asked him if he would be awesome and give my neighbors a discount and he gave me an enthusiastic "Yes!"

Don't let me be the only one with a fresh, brand new looking driveway. He said you can reach him at [NUMBER]

Your Friend,
[His Signature]

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with his job cleaning my windows too!"

You will be amazed at how many people are willing to do this provided you keep the letters under 15 or so. Most people respect the hustle.

Then after you do a good job simply up sell them by offering to do anything else around the yard you would be willing to do.

Then if his patience is still there, and he seems to not be annoyed with you, ask if he wants to go ahead and schedule his next cleaning for a later date at X% off.

If they look like they just want you to leave then hand them a business card, thank them, and be on your way.

Don't just think residential either! Contact the owner of strip malls and real estate companies. Offer to do the power washing, window cleaning, yard work, whatever!

Finally, call up some company who's mowing the lawns and offer to do a deal. You'll give them some flyers to give to their customers and in return you'll give some flyers advertising their lawn service to your customers! Make it seem like a coupon so the homeowners are more likely to actually appreciate it.

This is the exact strategy I gave my nephew when he was 17 and within two months he had hired several of his friends to help with all the work he was being hired out to do.

EDIT: If my nephew were still 17 and wanted to do this today I would tell him to add a few things in...

Slybroadcast is a service that allows you to leave mass voicemails. There are places that will sell you a list of numbers for neighborhoods on the cheap. Don't ask me how legal this is but the company claims no laws are broken.

Facebook city pages. Every city has some community page where people go to gossip, complain, and market their services. Almost always free.

Speaking of facebook, I'd tell him to set up a FB page and ask owners if you can take a before and after picture and post it on your page and tag them. Most wont care. Offer some small incentive if you have trouble getting enough people to agree. Once you tag them your business page and service becomes visible to everyone of their friends. Free advertising!

If your area has farmers, go after them! They always need their equipment washed.

Any big events coming to your city? They will need some stuff done before, and after and almost always need help.

Find prominent members of local organizations and get in contact with them. Offer a free power washing in exchange for referrals.

Have a FB contest. Have people share your post in exchange for a chance to win free power washing services.

Every Door Direct Mail USPS service to deliver flyers. This is cheap!

Anytime a bad storm hits a neighborhood, be there as soon as feasibly possible. Stuff will often be a mess and no one wants to clean all that up... but you will, for cash!

Just some more stuff from the top of my head.

Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
In addition to Dan's suggestions, you can go on NEXTDOOR and post your services. That let's you scope your efforts to you community and those nearby.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
HUGE flyer guy here, I built a few very successful businesses with flyers and flyers only..... but sadly..... this is 2019 and not 2004. Flyers are a thing of the past. Or is it sad? The :party: GREAT :party: news is that you can easily get customers nowadays on this new age thing called..... are you sitting down? ..... ssshhhhhh..... it's called the INTERNET! Yeah.... who woulda thunk it! To think of all the doors I personally walked up to and left a flyer on and now all a person has to do is use the internet while sitting naked at their desk (hopefully it's not just me) :blush:

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Here is a very simple way to start this type of business.

Go print up some door hangers. These are VERY cheap and a great way to supplement your D2D sales effort.

Next you want to get a simple yard sign printed up. Keep it simple! You can go for 'funny' with something like "We put the POWER in power washing!" then list your number below. Make sure its big enough to be visible.

Anytime you are out power washing a drive way be sure to stick that sign in the yard right where all traffic can see it. When you go simply remove the sign and take it with you.

When you knock on doors have a good but simple offer, This is power washing, not selling them a house! "Hey! I happen to be in the neighborhood today doing some honest work and making peoples drive ways sparkle! Since I'm already here i'll give you x% off today."

Don't be afraid to inject a little personality into it.

If they don't answer or aren't at home that it where you leave a door hanger.

Now if you want to really get serious you can add in the next two things...

Referral letters and upselling.

After you do a great job, and right before you get paid, tell him that if hes willing to help you out that you would return the favor by knocking some money off for him. Have some referral letters already typed up and just have a blank space at the bottom for the home owner to write his name.

Keep the letters simple.

"Hey neighbor,

Just wanted to let you know about a nice young man, [NAME], who recently did a GREAT job making my drive way look new again. I asked him if he would be awesome and give my neighbors a discount and he gave me an enthusiastic "Yes!"

Don't let me be the only one with a fresh, brand new looking driveway. He said you can reach him at [NUMBER]

Your Friend,
[His Signature]

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with his job cleaning my windows too!"

You will be amazed at how many people are willing to do this provided you keep the letters under 15 or so. Most people respect the hustle.

Then after you do a good job simply up sell them by offering to do anything else around the yard you would be willing to do.

Then if his patience is still there, and he seems to not be annoyed with you, ask if he wants to go ahead and schedule his next cleaning for a later date at X% off.

If they look like they just want you to leave then hand them a business card, thank them, and be on your way.

Don't just think residential either! Contact the owner of strip malls and real estate companies. Offer to do the power washing, window cleaning, yard work, whatever!

Finally, call up some company who's mowing the lawns and offer to do a deal. You'll give them some flyers to give to their customers and in return you'll give some flyers advertising their lawn service to your customers! Make it seem like a coupon so the homeowners are more likely to actually appreciate it.

This is the exact strategy I gave my nephew when he was 17 and within two months he had hired several of his friends to help with all the work he was being hired out to do.

I really like this thank you for the advice

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
HUGE flyer guy here, I built a few very successful businesses with flyers and flyers only..... but sadly..... this is 2019 and not 2004. Flyers are a thing of the past. Or is it sad? The :party: GREAT :party: news is that you can easily get customers nowadays on this new age thing called..... are you sitting down? ..... ssshhhhhh..... it's called the INTERNET! Yeah.... who woulda thunk it! To think of all the doors I personally walked up to and left a flyer on and now all a person has to do is use the internet while sitting naked at their desk (hopefully it's not just me) :blush:
I presume you are suggesting facebook/google ads sort of thing?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
much love. Thank you. Is this a site you go on frequently or how did you find that?

Neville has useful tips and tricks for copywriting, etc... I meander from time to time.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Fastlaners, I hope all is well.

I'm 20 years old. Currently have a job selling construction and industrial supplies but wanted to make money on my weekends and time off. I have been doing odd jobs here and there for people. My next venture I want to pressure wash peoples drive ways, walkways, etc. Any ideas on how to market this? I've tried printing little ads and putting them around neighborhood doors but I presume most people just throw them away. Thinking about just going door to door and asking everyone. Thoughts??

Are you doing this just to make a little extra money on the side, or are you actually trying to create a successful business from it?

Its fine as a way to make a little money on the side or get some experience. But IMO, its not a viable plan if you're trying to create a fastlane business.

The main reason is that it doesn't provide any real value or solve any real problem for people.

But from your post it looks like you just want a little side gig.

Yeah, door hangers, flyers ect are good and they do work if you do it right.

But I for this I think the best thing would just be grinding it out and door knocking. Try to be active, not passive. Do a job in a neighborhood and then visit their neighbors and tell them you're doing work in the area and just wanted to see if they need anything done while you are there.

If you need your first sale then I would go door to door in neighborhoods until you get a yes. I think that would be a better use of your time then putting door hangers up or leaving flyers around.

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Are you doing this just to make a little extra money on the side, or are you actually trying to create a successful business from it?

Its fine as a way to make a little money on the side or get some experience. But IMO, its not a viable plan if you're trying to create a fastlane business.

The main reason is that it doesn't provide any real value or solve any real problem for people.

But I for this I think the best thing would just be grinding it out and door knocking. Try to be active, not passive. Do a job in a neighborhood and then visit their neighbors and tell them you're doing work in the area and just wanted to see if they need anything done while you are there.

If you need your first sale then I would go door to door in neighborhoods until you get a yes. I think that would be a better use of your time then putting door hangers up or leaving flyers around.

Right, I agree with starting with D2D but if your going to knock on door, most of which wont be answered, only makes sense to leave a flyer or door hanger there. Then at least you have a chance of getting their business.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019

Well it's no longer term business per say unless it makes the money to become one.
My idea behind it is kind of simple. It's a side gig but more importantly it's action on some level. In the past I've spent a lot of time contemplating and trying to come up with the "ultimate fastlane business" kind of thing and I've come to realize that I'll never think up the right action to take.

Business kind of evolves as you're doing it. Therefore constantly taking steps can lead down more avenues rather than staying stagnant just trying to think up some magical idea.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
As @minivanman said, advertising online will get the most bang for your buck.

I would run a combination of google advertising and door knocking until you can tweak your ads to give you some consistent business.

For me, I find advertising and selling to people that are actively searching for my service is the easiest closes with the highest conversions for my time spent. Build a website, optimize it, post frequently before and after pictures of jobs on google my business, and fill your google business with 5 star reviews and watch the phone calls pour in.

My local service business did the above and we have dozens of 5 star reviews now and are ranked very high in our area on google. Our organic growth is so high we don't even need to advertise and are still growing like crazy.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
As @minivanman said, advertising online will get the most bang for your buck.

I would run a combination of google advertising and door knocking until you can tweak your ads to give you some consistent business.

For me, I find advertising and selling to people that are actively searching for my service is the easiest closes with the highest conversions for my time spent. Build a website, optimize it, post frequently before and after pictures of jobs on google my business, and fill your google business with 5 star reviews and watch the phone calls pour in.

My local service business did the above and we have dozens of 5 star reviews now and are ranked very high in our area on google. Our organic growth is so high we don't even need to advertise and are still growing like crazy.
How did you get your first couple of clients though? Did you build the website and do all of that jazz before even landing the first few clients?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Well it's no longer term business per say unless it makes the money to become one.
My idea behind it is kind of simple. It's a side gig but more importantly it's action on some level. In the past I've spent a lot of time contemplating and trying to come up with the "ultimate fastlane business" kind of thing and I've come to realize that I'll never think up the right action to take.

Business kind of evolves as you're doing it. Therefore constantly taking steps can lead down more avenues rather than staying stagnant just trying to think up some magical idea.

You're definitely on the right path. It's good for experience and it is action which is good. This would definitely help get you on the right path.

The reason I wouldn't pursue as a fastlane business is because it violates several fastlane commandments.

The need for it just isn't there. I can find dozens and dozens of people in my area that would do the same thing. I can even go buy my own pressure washer and do the job myself.

The barriers to entry are incredibly low which is a big red flag. I can start a pressure washing business within a couple hours. If your business can be started within a day (an event) are you really solving a problem for people or providing value?

The low barrier to entry means its easy. People love easy. A lot of people jump into these things because they think entrepreneurship is an event, not a process. They think they will buy a pressure washer and then the money will roll in.

Look at landscaping for example. How many landscaping businesses have you seen out there hustling for any sale they can get? I've seen a lot. It's the same with pressure washing.

In my experience, most things like this result in people playing the pricing game which is something you always want to avoid. If I can pay someone $15 dollars instead of $25 and the result is the same exact thing why would I not pay $15?

Its likely you would end up playing the pricing game and then trying to out hustle all the other competitors to make small profit margins.

But yes, do it for experience and to help you get on the right path. It's all a process that starts with the first step and it does evolve over time.

As far as finding the best idea, you won't. It doesn't exist. Anything you can think of has already been thought of or created.

It's about solving problems and finding ways to provide value. Learn to look at things and figure out how they could be better. What values can you skew?

A perfect example would be the JUUL. At the time there were already several different types of disposable vapors on the market. But they didn't hit well, didn't have a diversity of flavors, had shitty designs, had long charging cables or couldnt be charged, didnt last long ect. JUUL identified there was a market need for a better product. They skewed the values. They created a better design, better flavor diversity, better hits, replaced the charging cable with a small USB port ect. Essentially they skewed every value and the product exploded. It was so successful that it had to be regulated.

Learn to look for problems and figure out how you can fix them or improve them. When you are at work. Look around and analyze how the company runs. What are problems that it has? Is there anything costing the company money that can be fixed? Is there a problem with software? Things like that.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
How did you get your first couple of clients though? Did you build the website and do all of that jazz before even landing the first few clients?

The website came pretty quickly. I put a cheap template website up with crappy ads and knocked on doors handing out fliers. Slowly, my website and ads improved.

Once my online presence was starting to bring in more revenue then the fliers I dropped the door to door stuff.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
You're definitely on the right path. It's good for experience and it is action which is good. This would definitely help get you on the right path.

The reason I wouldn't pursue as a fastlane business is because it violates several fastlane commandments.

The need for it just isn't there. I can find dozens and dozens of people in my area that would do the same thing. I can even go buy my own pressure washer and do the job myself.

The barriers to entry are incredibly low which is a big red flag. I can start a pressure washing business within a couple hours. If your business can be started within a day (an event) are you really solving a problem for people or providing value?

The low barrier to entry means its easy. People love easy. A lot of people jump into these things because they think entrepreneurship is an event, not a process. They think they will buy a pressure washer and then the money will roll in.

Look at landscaping for example. How many landscaping businesses have you seen out there hustling for any sale they can get? I've seen a lot. It's the same with pressure washing.

In my experience, most things like this result in people playing the pricing game which is something you always want to avoid. If I can pay someone $15 dollars instead of $25 and the result is the same exact thing why would I not pay $15?

Its likely you would end up playing the pricing game and then trying to out hustle all the other competitors to make small profit margins.

But yes, do it for experience and to help you get on the right path. It's all a process that starts with the first step and it does evolve over time.

As far as finding the best idea, you won't. It doesn't exist. Anything you can think of has already been thought of or created.

It's about solving problems and finding ways to provide value. Learn to look at things and figure out how they could be better. What values can you skew?

A perfect example would be the JUUL. At the time there were already several different types of disposable vapors on the market. But they didn't hit well, didn't have a diversity of flavors, had shitty designs, had long charging cables or couldnt be charged, didnt last long ect. JUUL identified there was a market need for a better product. They skewed the values. They created a better design, better flavor diversity, better hits, replaced the charging cable with a small USB port ect. Essentially they skewed every value and the product exploded. It was so successful that it had to be regulated.

Learn to look for problems and figure out how you can fix them or improve them. When you are at work. Look around and analyze how the company runs. What are problems that it has? Is there anything costing the company money that can be fixed? Is there a problem with software? Things like that.
Okay I see what you’re saying. But one thing I don’t quite understand is this. It’s like web development. Is there really a need for it? Not really. You can go on fiverr and find a kid in a Pakistan to build the best website you’ve ever seen for $5. Yet why are people able to thrive on this forum doing web design companies?

I think something like pressure washing or the labor intensive jobs are what’s in big demand. No millennial wants to grow up to be a pressure washer or contractor. They all want to be the next twitch and YouTube star or do something online to make money.

Thoughts?

Dan_Cardone

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Okay I see what you’re saying. But one thing I don’t quite understand is this. It’s like web development. Is there really a need for it? Not really. You can go on fiverr and find a kid in a Pakistan to build the best website you’ve ever seen for $5. Yet why are people able to thrive on this forum doing web design companies?

I think something like pressure washing or the labor intensive jobs are what’s in big demand. No millennial wants to grow up to be a pressure washer or contractor. They all want to be the next twitch and YouTube star or do something online to make money.

Thoughts?
Doesn't matter what they WANT to be because reality is, most will end up in low level, labor intensive jobs.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Doesn't matter what they WANT to be because reality is, most will end up in low level, labor intensive jobs.
I agree. I say that to point out how I think the service industries are actually in the highest demand. Things like web design aren’t so much in demand yet people on this forum can get in that industry and still win.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark

Maybe a combination of internet and flyers? You're right everyone uses the internet nowadays. You will be different from the competitors if you reach out to your market with flyers aswell. People still want a 'personal relationship' with the businesses they interact with.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
@minivanman has a post floating around on here about a strategy for mass joining (without getting banned) facebook yardsale and seller groups and reaching 100's of 1000's of prospects.

In conjunction with the flyer and voicemail operation above, you probably won't have time for the m-f 9-5 in a few short weeks.

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015

I will politely disagree with the obligatory "blah blah blah, McDonald's didn't solve a sexy high entry barrier problem, blah, blah, blah," along with this thread:

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I will politely disagree with the obligatory "blah blah blah, McDonald's didn't solve a sexy high entry barrier problem, blah, blah, blah," along with this thread:

You disagree with the barrier entry? I can see that.

What about the more important point I made, it doesn't provide any real value.

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
You disagree with the barrier entry? I can see that.

What about the more important point I made, it doesn't provide any real value.
Value is like beauty. Eye of the beholder, etc etc.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016

I actually started my own Power Washing business this summer. To say it doesn't provide real value or solve any problems is false.

Businesses need their storefronts to look clean and presentable to clients, removing dirt/oil/gum. Real estate owners need the green mold cleaned from their side of the house to make it look presentable, to prevent HOA/city from getting on their back and issuing a fine, and to make it look good for potential renters. People needs their decks cleaned of tree sap and old stain in order to put down new stain or just have a disgusting exterior that needs to be cleaned

I'm in the process of hiring my first part-time employee. It's not a "Sexy" business and has its own problems, but it does provide value in many different ways. All of the examples above are jobs I have actually done as well. I don't market myself as a cheap service, I target commercial/high end residential where I get paid $100+ an hour. It's a great way to make money, get experience, and even expand into a real business like I'm trying to do

Attachments

• F307DC70-C21F-4170-84C3-6C8045C311D2.jpg
    F307DC70-C21F-4170-84C3-6C8045C311D2.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8454.jpg
    IMG_8454.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts