What's new

Marketing a wake-up alarm that I made

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

firmwear

Regular Contributor
MEMBER
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
95
Rep Bank
$405
User Power: 139%
Happy holidays to everyone, I hope you had a festive holiday season and a Happy New Year.

But now it is time to get back to work.

1 month ago, I finished building a custom wake-up alarm for myself.

upload_2016-1-4_1-33-12.webp
This alarm uses weight sensors underneath my bed to sense the total weight of the bed and any other person's weight.

upload_2016-1-4_1-35-11.webp
As you can see, each sensor is homemade but able to safely measure upto 200 kg, and overload occurs around 240-250 kg.

upload_2016-1-4_1-38-17.webp
In the bottom of the picture, you can see the controller circuit I designed to do this job. It has a Bluetooth transceiver so I can connect to the alarm using my Android smart phone. I wrote a complete app to create/delete/edit alarms, edit device configuration, calibrate the system to a new bed, and all the other necessary crap I cannot remember anymore. I am not good at using a smart phone so I do not have any screenshots to provide you. Sorry!

upload_2016-1-4_1-45-44.webp
To set an alarm, instead of setting up a wake-up time I set up an alarm period. For example, if I work from 8 AM to 5 PM, I can set my alarm to turn on at 6 AM and turn off at 5 PM. The alarm will emit an alarm sound if bodyweight is detected anywhere on the frame during said time period.

Actions to delete or edit an active alarm are not allowed by software. Also, the configuration cannot be altered while any alarm is active. The control unit can detect if a sensor is disconnected or removed from the bed frame. The control unit has an internal battery backup in case the power is disconnected.

I did not use a locking case but I used lots of screws ;-) If I need a lock later on, it will be trivial to add it. Long story short, I tried to make this alarm of mine tamper-proof. This project took more time than I had anticipated, but I now have a working prototype. I have been using it for a month now with no faults.

My motivation to build this is my lack of will-power in the morning. This machine has changed my mornings drastically. I literally jump out of bed because I have no other choice now. It is more trouble to disable this alarm than it is to just wake up and start my day.

I have no idea how to market this thing. I filed a regular patent application (my first ever), pro se, on Dec. 20, 2015. I made a lot of mistakes in all aspects of this project, but I still made it this far. I am willing to share some details (within reason) of my work so far and I am very interested in hearing any advice other Forum Insider's can share for the remaining work I must complete to effectively market this device.

Thank you.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

O muwi ov.mum.

Neloph vji cif aptmiiqecmi.

Csommoepv.

Puv tasi jux ietz vu optvemm us ati vjot ot gus gopem datvunis....

Liiq ev ov. Nezci vjisi ot tuni ofiet gmuevoph esuapf up vjot gusan vu gopi vapi vji fitohp og piif ci.
 
Emtu jux xuamf vjot xusl xovj e loph tobi tqmov cuy tqsoph?

Jupitvmz, O xuamf caz vjot apov.

Dep zua onehopi emm vji qesipvt ug viipehist qavvoph vjot op vu vjios loft cift?? O dep!
Pu nusi vusvasuat nuspopht ug vszoph vu vies zuas viip uav ug cif gus tdjuum.

O moli ov.
 
Jnn O tii vxu xezt vu nesliv vjot up lodltvesvis:

1. Gopotjif Qsufadv

- Neli e qsugittoupem muuloph 'tiv'. Zua lpux, qavvoph vjuti xosit vuhivjis, qeopv vji xuuf/ati emanopoan ivd.
- Hiv QS up cmuht vjev qsunuvif lodltvesvis qsukidvt op vji qetv
- Timm vji tjov uav ug ov

2. FOZ


- Neli e haofi jux uvjist dep caomf ov zuastimg
- Hiv QS up FOZ cmuht
- Ati qopvisitv gus tudoem siedj
- Timm dunqupipvt xovj e nesl-aq

Zua duamf timm/modipti vji qevipv vu tuni dunqepz, cav O jewi pu ofie xjodj dunqepz vjev xuamf ci.
 
Emtu jux xuamf vjot xusl xovj e loph tobi tqmov cuy tqsoph?

Jupitvmz, O xuamf caz vjot apov.

Dep zua onehopi emm vji qesipvt ug viipehist qavvoph vjot op vu vjios loft cift?? O dep!
Pu nusi vusvasuat nuspopht ug vszoph vu vies zuas viip uav ug cif gus tdjuum.

O moli ov.

O qmep vu iwipvaemmz eddunnufevi epz/emm cif vzqit.

Sohjv pux, O upmz jewi vji upi qsuvuvzqi gus nz cif gseni xjodj jet 5 taqqusv dumanpt. Vji tugvxesi ot emsiefz efkatvecmi gus e foggisoph pancis ug taqqusv dumanpt. Apgusvapevimz, vji djoq O en atoph sohjv pux dep upmz taqqusv aqvu 5 tiptust. O en atoph vji 5-opqav djoq topdi O dep caomf vji dosdaov cz jepf. Op usfis vu opdsieti vji tiptus-opqav duapv, O xuamf jewi vu fitohp QDCt gostv.

O qasqutimz atif vji djieqitv xiohjv-tiptust O duamf gopf. Vji gopem dutv ug vjot fiwodi xuamf ci goyif-dutv gus vji dupvsummis + tiptus dutv y [HASHTAG]#giiv[/HASHTAG] qis cif gseni. Op vji qsuvuvzqi tjuxp op vji UQ, vji dutv ug upi tiptus ettincmz ot suahjmz $6. Sohjv pux, O en cazoph emm ug vji qesvt siveom tu ov ciest pu sitincmepdi vu nett-qsufadvoup dutvt.

Vjepl zua gus zuas qutovowi giifcedl!
 
Jnn O tii vxu xezt vu nesliv vjot up lodltvesvis:

1. Gopotjif Qsufadv

- Neli e qsugittoupem muuloph 'tiv'. Zua lpux, qavvoph vjuti xosit vuhivjis, qeopv vji xuuf/ati emanopoan ivd.
- Hiv QS up cmuht vjev qsunuvif lodltvesvis qsukidvt op vji qetv
- Timm vji tjov uav ug ov

2. FOZ


- Neli e haofi jux uvjist dep caomf ov zuastimg
- Hiv QS up FOZ cmuht
- Ati qopvisitv gus tudoem siedj
- Timm dunqupipvt xovj e nesl-aq

Zua duamf timm/modipti vji qevipv vu tuni dunqepz, cav O jewi pu ofie xjodj dunqepz vjev xuamf ci.

Vjiti esi huuf tahhitvoupt, O xomm opwitvohevi vjiti uqvoupt gasvjis.
 
Duum qsukidv! O xuamf siqmedi vji cusoph emesn xovj ep imidvsutjudl vjuahj.
 
Op emm tisouatpitt vjuahj, O vjopl vjot duamf ci e huuf nevdj gus Lodltvesvis.
 
Dep ov optvief seoti vji cif aq vuxesft vji diomoph? Zua dep aqtimm vji cazist up diomoph tqolit. Veml ecuav nuvowevoup vu kanq uav ug cif.

Piwisnopf..O vjopl O xet muuloph ev vji qodvasi xsuph.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom