The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Made a slow lane mistake, what now?

Sam Kennedy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 21, 2016
In January I made a slow lane mistake of investing £450 in shares (£20 of which is fees, so only £430 invested).
Over the last year, including dividends there's been no growth, my portfolio is at the same value. The plan was just to leave this investment for 30 years, and let it grow at roughly 5% per year, but I can see this is a waste of time. I could cash out now and have £400 cash for a loss of £50, or I could just leave it for a rainy day?

What are your thoughts on this situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
“I could improve your ultimate financial welfare by giving you a ticket with only 20 slots in it so that you had 20 punches—representing all the investments that you got to make in a lifetime. And once you’d punched through the card, you couldn’t make any more investments at all.”

- Warren Buffett

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
I'd take it out and invest in myself. 400 is plenty for books or basic courses. Or even better, start a business with it.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
I
In January I made a slow lane mistake of investing £450 in shares (£20 of which is fees, so only £430 invested).
Over the last year, including dividends there's been no growth, my portfolio is at the same value. The plan was just to leave this investment for 30 years, and let it grow at roughly 5% per year, but I can see this is a waste of time. I could cash out now and have £400 cash for a loss of £50, or I could just leave it for a rainy day?

I have a feeling you went into the sharemarket without learning the basics.

Pick up 'Intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham if you're interested.

As for your $400, assuming you have no intention of investing it in yourself or a side business, put it into Vanguard.

It will spread your capital into thousands of companies or bonds, depending on your risk/age factor.

Your capital will experience mediocre gain between 3%-10% per annual depending on the state of the economy.

The information above is not to be taken literally. Consult another Slowlaner (ie. financial professional) for more information.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I smell DANGER.

Read MJ's book again. He mentioned that he did something similar and ended up with a measely $600+ from all his Slowlane sufferings of investing crap.

Financial instruments only work with RETARDED NUMBERS in which a yield of 6% or less would have higher magnitude if you pumped in millions from a Fastlane business. Besides a better strategy would be to use that as income to mantain your nest egg after a successful Fastlane venture.

If you started out with tiny numbers to invest in a portfolio, I'm sure wealth would mean spending time in a wheelchair :(

If you were to consult a financial advisor, be vary that most of them are SALESMEN and give no shucks about turning you into their next customer for their sales target. A friend of my dad's works in a bank dealing with such financial products, so I KNOW.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I made a slow lane mistake

You didn't make a mistake. The Slowlane takes 50-100 years to work effectively. You are simply in YEAR 1 of a long, long wait.

Just wait another century -- you'll be a millionaire! Suze says so!

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
What are you trying to achieve?

£450 at 5% over 30 years is less than £2000 and that's assuming you can achieve 5%

Just cash it out and invest it in something that might actually make you some money.

Look at starting a business, or putting that into books/courses that will teach you better ways of making money.

Investing is good when you have spare cash, lots of spare cash. Until then you need to generate cash.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016

You just wasted your time. For you to just recoup your original investment you'd have to gain 4.7% on your investment (to go from £430 to £450) assuming no fees selling the stock. Why would you pay £20 in fees just to buy stock and you only invested £450 are you kidding me? Also a one year time span is way too short.

Investing in stocks is a great idea when you have no use for money laying around for a long period of time.

speakers4u

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 7, 2016
Australia
Cash out, investment the money in your own personal development. You'll then be ahead of 99% of the population.

Think about, how many people do you know that truly invest a good amount of cash into furthering themselves each year? Not many.

We love to go out, and invest in external ventures, but rarely do we take the time and money to invest in ourselves.

That's what sets us apart. That's why we're here.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You didn't make a mistake. The Slowlane takes 50-100 years to work effectively. You are simply in YEAR 1 of a long, long wait.

Just wait another century -- you'll be a millionaire! Suze says so!

Suze is still there?!
Sigh, the financial markets require a widespread culling of BS

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
If you dont mind losing 50£ then id just pull out. It doesnt seem like you made a calculated decision when investing but rather just assumed that based on history most stocks increase with time. If you have reason to believe otherwise then keep it in.

I myself have seen 2-5% increase in my stocks almost each day since the presidential election, and I had reason to believe that. So for myself, I'm keeping my money there since that money will grow faster there, at the moment.

Once I need that money for my business, it will be cashed out.

So, if you don't have a good plan, then I'd get out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.